Youtube Video.

LucinaRobin

Hello guys.

I have made some BGM to use it in my Youtube videos.

But, I can't assure that this melody is already made or owned by someone. 

So if this BGM is already owned by someone, then will using this BGM that I made be plagiarising?

Will I be fined or sued or something else?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Kind of depends on what it sounds like. YouTube generally gives you an strike through their automated system and eventually bans you if you keep doing it.

I made some melody using (piano, violin, music box) instrument by soundtrap..

I wanna use this BGM for my video.. But worried if this melody already exist..

So will it be okay to use it until youtube pulls my video down?

I've used plenty of music that doesn't belong to me in youtube videos, and it often gets ignored because I'm not a partnered youtube channel. Plus the music typically isn't very popular, isn't particularly recent, or is owned by a company that doesn't usually go after fan projects. Assuming something gets detected, Youtube will put ads on the video in "certain regions". And the ad revenue said video makes goes to youtube. The video is not in threat of being taken down, and no action needs to be taken by me to keep the video live. This is called a copyright claim, not a copyright strike which is what you should try to avoid. 

Although I'm looking at my copyright claims now, and they say that the content was detected but no action has been taken. So, expect the rules to change constantly. Or expect Youtube's transparency about its rules to change constantly. 

43 minutes ago, LucinaRobin said:

I made some melody using (piano, violin, music box) instrument by soundtrap..

I wanna use this BGM for my video.. But worried if this melody already exist..

So will it be okay to use it until youtube pulls my video down?

If it's your music then they can't claim anything. You'll be fine. Especially if it's just background music. And if it was a remix of someone else's song, there shouldn't be an issue so long as it's different enough. Content claims are designed to go after people uploading someone else's work with no alterations. No one likes a leech. And If anybody's going to leech off someone's work, it's Youtube.

5 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

I've used plenty of music that doesn't belong to me in youtube videos, and it often gets ignored because I'm not a partnered youtube channel. Plus the music typically isn't very popular, isn't particularly recent, or is owned by a company that doesn't usually go after fan projects. Assuming something gets detected, Youtube will put ads on the video in "certain regions". And the ad revenue said video makes goes to youtube. The video is not in threat of being taken down, and no action needs to be taken by me to keep the video live. This is called a copyright claim, not a copyright strike which is what you should try to avoid. 

Although I'm looking at my copyright claims now, and they say that the content was detected but no action has been taken. So, expect the rules to change constantly. Or expect Youtube's transparency about its rules to change constantly. 

If it's your music then they can't claim anything. You'll be fine. Especially if it's just background music. And if it was a remix of someone else's song, there shouldn't be an issue so long as it's different enough. Content claims are designed to go after people uploading someone else's work with no alterations. No one likes a leech. And If anybody's going to leech off someone's work, it's Youtube.

Thanks so much for giving answer in detail!

I really appreciate your help!

So sorry but one more question...

If I earn money through that video, and later someone says that the BGM is theirs, then, can they sue me or fine me? (If they say "Because you earned money with my music")

Edited by LucinaRobin

2 hours ago, LucinaRobin said:

So sorry but one more question...

If I earn money through that video, and later someone says that the BGM is theirs, then, can they sue me or fine me? (If they say "Because you earned money with my music")

Whenever you're on Youtube and click on My videos, you can tell right there which of your videos have a copyright claim. If it says None under Restrictions, you're in the clear. If there is a claim, you select See Details to see who is claiming it and specifically which part of the video was caught. There are three vertical dots, click on that to see what you can do about it. Cut out the part of the video entirely, Muting that part of the video, or replacing the audio in that part of the video. The fourth option is to dispute the claim. If it's your music, this is what you want to do, but I wouldn't know anything about what happens next.

Youtube tells you it's running an automatic content check after your video is finished processing. Usually takes a few minutes. If you're worried about losing out on ad revenue, try to let your video sit unpublished until that check is finished. A company can still manually content claim your video after it's uploaded, but the odds of this happening are extremely slim.

4 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Whenever you're on Youtube and click on My videos, you can tell right there which of your videos have a copyright claim. If it says None under Restrictions, you're in the clear. If there is a claim, you select See Details to see who is claiming it and specifically which part of the video was caught. There are three vertical dots, click on that to see what you can do about it. Cut out the part of the video entirely, Muting that part of the video, or replacing the audio in that part of the video. The fourth option is to dispute the claim. If it's your music, this is what you want to do, but I wouldn't know anything about what happens next.

Youtube tells you it's running an automatic content check after your video is finished processing. Usually takes a few minutes. If you're worried about losing out on ad revenue, try to let your video sit unpublished until that check is finished. A company can still manually content claim your video after it's uploaded, but the odds of this happening are extremely slim.

Thanks so much. it's a relief. I'm really grateful for your answer. I worried so much. Now I can post my video without worrying.^^

Thanks really!! 

9 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Kind of depends on what it sounds like. YouTube generally gives you an strike through their automated system and eventually bans you if you keep doing it.

Thanks for answer.^^

• 1 year later...
On 1/10/2023 at 12:38 AM, Armchair General said:

Thanks 😀