Starting a new game. How many units can you get to max level?

Heavylink

Starting a new Path of Radiance / Radiant Dawn run + save transfer.

How many chars can I level to max level to be able to save transfer to Radiant Dawn?

I plan to play on normal difficulty and this is the list of units i will most likely want to level.

I Intend to level Sothe to have an uber character in Radiant Dawn 😄

Ike
Soren
Nephenee
Sothe
Reyson
Boyd
Mist
Jill
Mia
Titania
Oscar
Gatrie
Marcia
Shinon

1 hour ago, Heavylink said:

Sothe is already an uber character, and sometimes transfers Sothe comes out worse. That said, if you're going for him, I recommend feeding him any remaining Ashera Icons. No one's hitting the Luck cap (40!), so only he can take it with him.

1 hour ago, Heavylink said:

Ike
Soren
Nephenee
Sothe
Reyson
Boyd
Mist
Jill
Mia
Titania
Oscar
Gatrie
Marcia
Shinon

I would recommend trimming the list down to about half of those, maximum. Normal Mode is generous, but even there, you're not capping out your whole army. Plus, the fewer units you focus on, the more you can funnel boosters and BEXP into each individual unit. For context, I only got four transfers units (Ike, Soren, Zihark, Ilyana), plus Sothe, on my latest Normal Mode run.

In terms of which of the above would especially enjoy transfers, I would say... Ike, Soren, Nephenee, Boyd, Jill, Oscar, and Marcia. The others are either already really good in RD without transfers, or else unlikely to cap anything that would matter in PoR.

23 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Sothe is already an uber character, and sometimes transfers Sothe comes out worse. That said, if you're going for him, I recommend feeding him any remaining Ashera Icons. No one's hitting the Luck cap (40!), so only he can take it with him.

I would recommend trimming the list down to about half of those, maximum. Normal Mode is generous, but even there, you're not capping out your whole army. Plus, the fewer units you focus on, the more you can funnel boosters and BEXP into each individual unit. For context, I only got four transfers units (Ike, Soren, Zihark, Ilyana), plus Sothe, on my latest Normal Mode run.

In terms of which of the above would especially enjoy transfers, I would say... Ike, Soren, Nephenee, Boyd, Jill, Oscar, and Marcia. The others are either already really good in RD without transfers, or else unlikely to cap anything that would matter in PoR.

Might take runnin thru it his way first though to learn which ones he likes. Too narrow a focus might possibly mean not bein able to finish it because he needed somebody he benched a good while ago

2 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Might take runnin thru it his way first though to learn which ones he likes. Too narrow a focus might possibly mean not bein able to finish it because he needed somebody he benched a good while ago

OP never indicated that this was their first playthrough, and they specifically came here asking for advice. I never meant to advise against using any of the units listed, only against trying to raise them up to caps. If they try to cap all the units they plan to use, then chances are, none of them will hit level 20.

7 hours ago, Heavylink said:

Honestly, it's not worth it. Sothe is already an uber character in Radiant Dawn anyway.

7 hours ago, Heavylink said:

Ike
Soren
Nephenee
Sothe
Reyson
Boyd
Mist
Jill
Mia
Titania
Oscar
Gatrie
Marcia
Shinon

That's a lot of units to try capping. If you tried to make everyone cap, you'd probably end up having no one capped instead.

8 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

It'd be pretty hard to mess up Path of Radiance so badly you can't finish the game. Mist can solo the game on hard mode. No joke.

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

It'd be pretty hard to mess up Path of Radiance so badly you can't finish the game. Mist can solo the game on hard mode. No joke.

Likewise, there are very few units in the game with an "irreplaceable function". The only ones that come to mind are earlygame Titania, and Reyson. The former, you can't bench; the latter, it doesn't matter whether you've given him levels or not.

That said, I think the player can screw themselves on Hard, by not training Ike and letting Ena die. If that happens, they may be left with no means of damaging Ashnard. But Normal Mode prevents even this, by giving you the Laguz Royal at the start of the Endgame.

Cheers for the replies.

Seems like i'll have to make a 4-5 favorite list that i will try to get max level.

I have played PoR loads of times but its been at least 2 years since. So i forgot how much Xp / Bxp you get 🙂