Fire Emblem Engage General Questions Thread

Azz

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had some questions regarding my unit's class, as I'm never sure I make the good choice, ahah!

Etie

I made her take the classic route, Archer and then Sniper. I don't complain about her. But I'm wondering if I should reclass her to Warrior (since she get access to Axe by I don't remember which Emblem). By seeing the selection screen, she would have nice gains (4 in Strength) but would loose just on Dex (4 points). I think she has a pretty nice Dex for now, comparing her to other unit. (Dex only serve for Hit and Critical chance?). But going that road, would also make me loose on a S rank Bow unit (and the Covert bonus. But since she's not mean to be in rang of enemies...). But she will gain access to Axe, a lot of Strength, the Backup bonus (and with her range it could be really cool) and a bit of Build (that she lack a bit of, especially for heavy bows)

My questions: Is the S Bow really that good?

Spoiler

Since I'm planning on including Saphir to my team, who is already a Warrior, wouldn't that be too much? Or I could even reclass Saphir....🤔

so, i'm just past chapter 11, and i've got a question about bond rings (spoiler tag in case you don't want to know 4 characters who appear as bond rings)

Spoiler

i noticed that some S rank bond rings have skills (dieck, olwen) while some don't (black knight, nailah), and when i try to upgrade A rank rings, the same is true
my question is, can all S rank bond rings have a skill? if so, how can i make them get one? if not, how can i know which rings get a skill at S rank in advance? do i just need to create/refine them in order to find it out?

Edited by Yexin

38 minutes ago, Yexin said:

so, i'm just past chapter 11, and i've got a question about bond rings (spoiler tag in case you don't want to know 4 characters who appear as bond rings)

Hide contents

i noticed that some S rank bond rings have skills (dieck, olwen) while some don't (black knight, nailah), and when i try to upgrade A rank rings, the same is true
my question is, can all S rank bond rings have a skill? if so, how can i make them get one? if not, how can i know which rings get a skill at S rank in advance? do i just need to create/refine them in order to find it out?

Each emblem has 2 specific bond rings that give a skill, with one exception who has 3. Only way to check in game is to have an A rank ring and previewing the S rank through the Meld Ring feature. If it has a skill, it will show it there, otherwise that specific ring won't have one.

Spoiler

The exception is Byleth who has 3. If you don't mind spoilers, you can check the wiki (https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Bond_Ring) to see who does have the skill, then cross reference that character at GamerGuides (https://www.gamerguides.com/fire-emblem-engage/database/bond-rings)

Edited by RoaringBee

48 minutes ago, RoaringBee said:

Each emblem has 2 specific bond rings that give a skill, with one exception who has 3. Only way to check in game is to have an A rank ring and previewing the S rank through the Meld Ring feature. If it has a skill, it will show it there, otherwise that specific ring won't have one.

Hide contents

The exception is Byleth who has 3. If you don't mind spoilers, you can check the wiki (https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Bond_Ring) to see who does have the skill, then cross reference that character at GamerGuides (https://www.gamerguides.com/fire-emblem-engage/database/bond-rings)

oh wow, thank you so much

well... i hoped all S rank bond rings could have a skill, but it's pretty neat some of them do at all

Spoiler

but yeah i'd have loved to see Ayra's ring with her own version of Astra and Levin's with a different version of Adept or whatever

Edited by Yexin

So I've heard on social media that Louis is a god-tier unit but I sadly benched him early game since I'm not a fan of heavy armor class. However, skirmishes in this game don't seem to be something for exp-grinding weak units. There has to be another way than using 3 arena fights to level him up, right?

2 hours ago, Hiroki said:

I had some questions regarding my unit's class, as I'm never sure I make the good choice, ahah!

Etie

I made her take the classic route, Archer and then Sniper. I don't complain about her. But I'm wondering if I should reclass her to Warrior (since she get access to Axe by I don't remember which Emblem). By seeing the selection screen, she would have nice gains (4 in Strength) but would loose just on Dex (4 points). I think she has a pretty nice Dex for now, comparing her to other unit. (Dex only serve for Hit and Critical chance?). But going that road, would also make me loose on a S rank Bow unit (and the Covert bonus. But since she's not mean to be in rang of enemies...). But she will gain access to Axe, a lot of Strength, the Backup bonus (and with her range it could be really cool) and a bit of Build (that she lack a bit of, especially for heavy bows)

My questions: Is the S Bow really that good?

Reveal hidden contents

Since I'm planning on including Saphir to my team, who is already a Warrior, wouldn't that be too much? Or I could even reclass Saphir....🤔

Re: Where to get axe proficiency
Axes can be gotten from Leif and Ike IIRC.

Re: Sniper or Warrior
Not sure missing out on the S-rank bow's a big deal for a Warrior if you go that route since it's just a better Silver Bow. Think the bigger deal is missing out on the Brave Bow which is A-rank, trading that for a heavier and less accurate Brave Axe when Warriors already have less Dex than Snipers. She -better- hit both times if she uses one of those. If you're not one to gamble on Brave weapons period though and find Covert too situational for being Bow-locked, well, more Backup is always appreciated.

Edited by Technoweirdo

Is it just me, or are skirmishes overtuned? Because I have noped out of all the ones I have seen thus far. Doesn't help matters that you often start out surrounded.

I'm also having issues with skirmishes being unreliable. The enemies are often at higher levels and there are so many of them that I get ganked pretty quick. So far the Arena seems to be the only decent way to grind. I hope this gets fixed.

3 hours ago, BrimstoneCheeks said:

Has anyone figured out a way to train up low-level characters? Skirmish scaling is so insane they get oneshot by every enemy in them by midgame, I just want to use some characters from early game that I haven't trained yet.

Is Arena just the only reliable way?

The tower gives xp to all participants regardless of how they performed.

Training missions also reward xp to all units who participated, but it isnt a crazy amount. The only one I did was 30xp to all at the end.

Certain emblems also have their weapons give 2x xp

There is another way though but it requires getting a specific S rank bond ring before midgame.

Spoiler

You need to get S rank Elincia bond ring from The Emblem of the Dawn Maiden.
She gives a skill called Mercy which; If dealing enough damage to defeat a foe, instead leaves foe with 1 HP.

Put it on your carrys/tanks and just let the weak units finish them off.

If you're mid-late game;

Spoiler

Byleth grants a 1.2x xp multiplier to the unit who has him equipped, and all adjacent units.

Marth's Mercurius sword and Lyn's Parthia give 2x xp.

Edited by RoaringBee

10 hours ago, Technoweirdo said:

Re: Where to get axe proficiency
Axes can be gotten from Leif and Ike IIRC.

Re: Sniper or Warrior
Not sure missing out on the S-rank bow's a big deal for a Warrior if you go that route since it's just a better Silver Bow. Think the bigger deal is missing out on the Brave Bow which is A-rank, trading that for a heavier and less accurate Brave Axe when Warriors already have less Dex than Snipers. She -better- hit both times if she uses one of those. If you're not one to gamble on Brave weapons period though and find Covert too situational for being Bow-locked, well, more Backup is always appreciated.

She already got access to Axe. I think that was during the time I paired her with Leif.

I get what you said about the Brave Bow, and actually that was one of my  thought also. But, seeing how heavy it is, and so little build she have, she would probably just do 1 double attack. With more build, as with the Warrior class, her speed is no longer at penalty (and her speed is a bit better too) and she can make follow up attack with bows.

But yeah, I think I'll think of it a bit when I'll get the Bow. For now, I changed her to Warrior, and she made miracles during the chapter 17, assisting everyone with a Long Bow, doubling with other bows...

On the Bond rings there are things like "Tome Prof." that you can get the skill. Does that help you class into a class that requires that? Like with Anna if I give her Tome Prof. can I change her class to Mage?

Hey guys! I am looking to start playing FE Engage once school calms down a bit. I like to go in with a general plan as to who my final team will be, but I’m a little confused with some of the new mechanics (notably Emblem rings) and haven’t had enough time to do extensive research on the game like I did for Three House. In terms of character designs, I like Etie, Jean, Diamant, Lapis, Timerra, Fogado, Chloé, and Kagetsu the best, and would love to incorporate them into my team. Do you guys have any suggestions for how I should organize my team (i.e. what classes? Emblem rings?) 

Edited by Bk1234

23 minutes ago, Abarb said:

On the Bond rings there are things like "Tome Prof." that you can get the skill. Does that help you class into a class that requires that? Like with Anna if I give her Tome Prof. can I change her class to Mage?

It does not only help, it's mandatory actually! If you want to change the class of any unit, that unit needs to have the right prof for the desired class. If you want to make Anna into a Mage, you have to give her Tome Prof (I will go further, and you also need to give her Staff Prof if you want to make her a Sage after that. If it's just Mage Knight, you're alright with just Tome, as she already have Axe). As for the Tome Prof, only two Emblems can give it, if I remember correctly.

But yeah, for every unit, to change class (either the same tier, or the higher tier) you have to get the right proficiencies. And only Emblems can give them to a unit who don't have them naturally. 

8 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

Hey guys! I am looking to start playing FE Engage once school calms down a bit. I like to go in with a general plan as to who my final team will be, but I’m a little confused with some of the new mechanics (notably Emblem rings) and haven’t had enough time to do extensive research on the game like I did for Three House. In terms of character designs, I like Etie, Jean, Diamant, Lapis, Timerra, Chloé, and Kagetsu the best, and would love to incorporate them into my team. Do you guys have any suggestions for how I should organize my team (i.e. what classes? Emblem rings?) 

Playing with units you like is a good starting point. You could try to see their strength and weakness, to work on these. Either to enhance their strength, or balance their weakness. Your choice. Then, Emblems are really different from one to another. You'll learn about them by playing, don't worry to much. And you'll also swap rings for quite a time if you want to acquire certain skills, or work some strategies. But, you should think in term of Emblems, and what they do. There's a lot to say here. Like Lucina can turn your unit into a Backup one. Micaiah give you a Staff's user bonus. Lyn enhance your speed at unbelievable levels. Ike makes your unit really sturdy. Leif prevent anyone from taking advantage on you, Sigurd gives awesome movements (and damages if you can play with this), etc. 

But, for example, Diamant is doing wonder with almost everything. I think the choice here will be which Emblem you can't give to anyone else? Or which Emblem is left after you give other what suit them the most. I'm chapter 18, and tried Diamant with Ike (Marvelous), Lyn (Marvelous) and Leif (Wonderful).

2 minutes ago, Hiroki said:

Playing with units you like is a good starting point. You could try to see their strength and weakness, to work on these. Either to enhance their strength, or balance their weakness. Your choice. Then, Emblems are really different from one to another. You'll learn about them by playing, don't worry to much. And you'll also swap rings for quite a time if you want to acquire certain skills, or work some strategies. But, you should think in term of Emblems, and what they do. There's a lot to say here. Like Lucina can turn your unit into a Backup one. Micaiah give you a Staff's user bonus. Lyn enhance your speed at unbelievable levels. Ike makes your unit really sturdy. Leif prevent anyone from taking advantage on you, Sigurd gives awesome movements (and damages if you can play with this), etc. 

But, for example, Diamant is doing wonder with almost everything. I think the choice here will be which Emblem you can't give to anyone else? Or which Emblem is left after you give other what suit them the most. I'm chapter 18, and tried Diamant with Ike (Marvelous), Lyn (Marvelous) and Leif (Wonderful).

Thank you so much for this!! Do you have any recommendations in regards to emblem pairings for the units I mentioned or is that something I should figure out while playing?

15 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

Thank you so much for this!! Do you have any recommendations in regards to emblem pairings for the units I mentioned or is that something I should figure out while playing?

Lapis and Kagetsu are a bit similar, in which they have good speed, but not so much strength. Kagetsu stay better than Lapis when you recruit him, normally. It depends on how much you invested into Lapis. They're both sword users that should play on their speed to double attack. It's your job to figure which role to give Lapis, since she's pretty much like Kagetsu, but less good (in my game, after having hopes for her, I finally bench her on my current chapter and try Goldmary who have a bit less Dex than Kagetsu, but more Def). You could play Kagetsu with a lot more speed, with Lyn, and kill enemy before they can counter. Or with Marth and give him good avoid. That could be something.

I tried giving Etie the Sigurd ring a bit, so she could have better movement, and I could place her anywhere to benefits from here rang as an archer. Plus, with Sigurd skill, I could enhance her damages by moving her a lot. And then, you give her a Lance, to attack, while engaged, at close contact. And put her safe for the enemy phase with canto.

I won't say anything about Jean, since I don't play him (and don't like him) but it really depends on what you intend to do with him. About Chloé, I think better avoid could be nice, or a bit of crowd control with Corrin, maybe. I don't play her too, so I think possibilities are endless.

For Diamant, as I said, he's just a really good unit, so anything would fit. Ike will play on his good defense and you can put him alone, taking all the enemy aggro, with Aether! Give him Lyn and he will double anyone in no time, attacking solo without letting the other counter. Give him Roy and he will be a really powerful frontliner, making huge damages. Give him Leif and he won't be broken anymore, even at low level bond! Actually, I think you could give any rings and still manage to play him good. (Yeah, I'm fond of Diamant, ahah)

Apologies if this has been asked before, though I'm wondering is there way to reset level ups? I believe maddening is fixed, though I'm on normal so it should be random, right?

For example, I like Etie, but her levels are often bad. I've tried using the time crystal and do things different, no luck. I've had a bad level in stage and avoided her getting the level on that stage, only to get the same bad level during training at the base. I've tried turning the game off, going back to training, and still get the same level. Far as I can tell, I'm stuck with the bad level. Anyone know different?

19 minutes ago, Hiroki said:

Lapis and Kagetsu are a bit similar, in which they have good speed, but not so much strength. Kagetsu stay better than Lapis when you recruit him, normally. It depends on how much you invested into Lapis. They're both sword users that should play on their speed to double attack. It's your job to figure which role to give Lapis, since she's pretty much like Kagetsu, but less good (in my game, after having hopes for her, I finally bench her on my current chapter and try Goldmary who have a bit less Dex than Kagetsu, but more Def). You could play Kagetsu with a lot more speed, with Lyn, and kill enemy before they can counter. Or with Marth and give him good avoid. That could be something.

I tried giving Etie the Sigurd ring a bit, so she could have better movement, and I could place her anywhere to benefits from here rang as an archer. Plus, with Sigurd skill, I could enhance her damages by moving her a lot. And then, you give her a Lance, to attack, while engaged, at close contact. And put her safe for the enemy phase with canto.

I won't say anything about Jean, since I don't play him (and don't like him) but it really depends on what you intend to do with him. About Chloé, I think better avoid could be nice, or a bit of crowd control with Corrin, maybe. I don't play her too, so I think possibilities are endless.

For Diamant, as I said, he's just a really good unit, so anything would fit. Ike will play on his good defense and you can put him alone, taking all the enemy aggro, with Aether! Give him Lyn and he will double anyone in no time, attacking solo without letting the other counter. Give him Roy and he will be a really powerful frontliner, making huge damages. Give him Leif and he won't be broken anymore, even at low level bond! Actually, I think you could give any rings and still manage to play him good. (Yeah, I'm fond of Diamant, ahah)

Thank you so much for this! It’s just nice to hear some tips from someone who is playing the game. And yes, I love Diamant too. 😅

What difficulty is everyone playing at?

I did normal and it is pretty easy (only to Chapter 8/9ish). I am almost tempted to restart on a harder difficulty now that I know how things work a little better but at the same time it seems like a slog.

Just curious if anyone has any advice. 👍

54 minutes ago, wambam said:

I did normal and it is pretty easy (only to Chapter 8/9ish). I am almost tempted to restart on a harder difficulty now that I know how things work a little better but at the same time it seems like a slog.

A higher difficulty will definitely have a lot more tactical challenges, but the hard part is knowing if you'll have fun solving these puzzles.  My suggestion would be to find out for yourself and start a new game on maddening.  Chapter 3/4 will give you a good taste of a "midgame" hard experience.  If you find yourself enjoying the game, stick on maddening until you're frustrated, you can always turn the difficulty down.  If you nope out at chapter 3/4, you still have your normal file.

Playing on maddening/no dlc myself and I think the gameplay/map design is quite good.  There are significant challenges I can foresee on normal, especially if this is your first fire emblem and you don't have too much SRPG experience.

1 hour ago, Arcor said:

Do the Paralogues scale to your level like skirmishes? Or are they really just overtuned compared to your current story level recommendation?

Paralogues are fixed in terms of level requirements.  Personally, the difficulty of an average paralogue feels higher than the average story map at the same recommended level.

3 hours ago, wambam said:

What difficulty is everyone playing at?

What part do you find a slog? Honestly it's just all the cutscenes for me. I played on normal till chapter 7ish and restarted to hard while skipping everything to get back to where I was and even turned animations off. Personally hard is the right balance of difficulty for me