Fire Emblem Engage General Questions Thread

Azz

15 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Thanks. Oh, and I have a theory... The other kind of seals -- not Master Seals, but I can't be bothered with trying to remember right now -- it looks like they can be used on the same class the unit is in if the unit's level is capped. So I guess I could just keep using that later in the game to grind for stats. I don't know how far you are into the game, though. Personally, I haven't entered Brodia yet, so please be careful not to spoil anything (including names of characters I haven't encountered yet.)

That is exactly the case; once you've master sealed someone into an advanced class, you can freely choose another advanced class at any level with a Second Seal. You do need to be max level to second seal into the same class though (Ex: General Lvl 20 -> General Lvl 1)

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, EaterOfFarro said:

That is exactly the case; once you've master sealed someone into an advanced class, you can freely choose another advanced class at any level with a Second Seal. You do need to be max level to second seal into the same class though (Ex: General Lvl 20 -> General Lvl 1)

I see. Thanks for all the help! I won't bother grinding that much, then, and just promote as I feel like it, since there's limitless grinding in the way of Second Seals. I appreciate the help! 🙂

2 hours ago, Mercakete said:

I see. Thanks for all the help! I won't bother grinding that much, then, and just promote as I feel like it, since there's limitless grinding in the way of Second Seals. I appreciate the help! 🙂

In this game you want to promote as soon as possible. Engage keeps track of internal levels, but unlike past games does not automatically set your internal level to 21 upon promotion.

In say, Awakening, a character in their advanced class who was promoted before level 20 gains EXP at a slower rate than they would if they were of the equivalent level in their base class (1:11, 2:12, etc.), so you have to balance the benefits of promoting (immediate stat gains, new weapon proficiencies, etc.) with the downside of lower EXP gain.

In Engage, your internal level is whatever it was before promoting, so the rate of EXP gain remains the same. Furthermore, because the growth rates of advanced classes are almost always higher than their base class counterparts, you'll actually stunt your units' growth if you wait until level 20 to promote.

Both master seals and second seals are consumed upon use, so the decision making in this game isn't when to promote, but rather who to promote first, as both kinds of seals are limited at first and only become unlimited later on.

31 minutes ago, Imuabicus said:

Only way to increase Build is via Leif skills? No stat booster like the boots?

Then again, I believe I did see it level up once.

it has random chance to increase via lvl up, and as you can guess: Armor class get increased growth in that. im sure of that since my Jade as Generals already Reach 18 Bld or so without any boost from Leif to the point Greataxe weapons no longer slowing her down. (for comparison, my non promoted lvl 19 Louis as armor knight only has 9 Bld)

Edited by joevar

5 hours ago, TheBakonBitz said:

In this game you want to promote as soon as possible. Engage keeps track of internal levels, but unlike past games does not automatically set your internal level to 21 upon promotion.

In say, Awakening, a character in their advanced class who was promoted before level 20 gains EXP at a slower rate than they would if they were of the equivalent level in their base class (1:11, 2:12, etc.), so you have to balance the benefits of promoting (immediate stat gains, new weapon proficiencies, etc.) with the downside of lower EXP gain.

In Engage, your internal level is whatever it was before promoting, so the rate of EXP gain remains the same. Furthermore, because the growth rates of advanced classes are almost always higher than their base class counterparts, you'll actually stunt your units' growth if you wait until level 20 to promote.

Both master seals and second seals are consumed upon use, so the decision making in this game isn't when to promote, but rather who to promote first, as both kinds of seals are limited at first and only become unlimited later on.

Thanks for the detailed answer!

Yeah, I started promoting my units (I'm in Brodia now and bought all the seals I could when they stocked in the shop, albeit in a very limited supply.) Waiting to use my last one since almost everyone is just short of a level and I decided not to let all that exp go to waste.

Anyone else having a hard time getting wake up events for certain characters? I've been in post-game for a while running skirmishes so the only people waking me up should be people I've fielded but I'm getting guys like Vander waking me up even though he hasn't been deployed since chapter 4. It seems so inconsistent. During the main campaign I would keep getting people I've never deployed (Bunet) show up to wake me up. But other characters I've similarly never deployed have never shown up (Kagetsu, Diamant). Just so random

I haven't even seen Ivy show up for her A support wake-up let alone her S support 😞

Does anyone has checked whether Seadall card activity means anything? For example when picking alear theres "thinking of: x unit". Does it correlate to soemthing like next wake up event, closest to get next support conversation, or something?

Or maybe seadall just a con fortune teller? LoL

6 hours ago, Scaramuccia said:

Does anyone know cooking mechanics? Is it always beneficial to add more ingredients? Are dishes "with stars" sorted top to bottom so you always get better chances to get best results if you do the top dish or you need to choose special keywords?

yes, stars dishes is sorted with higher chance to get bonus stats. those star dishes depend on the chef afaik. But its not a guaranteed success either to result in special dishes. From my experience, you at least need to put the ingredients listed to not flop, as in lower than D. (D rank means stat boost exactly like stated before cook). if not complete then usually its lower than D. I never got lower than D when only selecting ingredients asked.

The extra toppings (rare ingredients) is where things get weird/confusing since its not clear which one actually gives you better boost according to the dishes selected. since i got an F from randomly choosing toppings. while not choosing topping at all (but full ingredients) range from D to A. and only ever got an S when i choose topping.

as for the "likes" i guess its related to support gained. might be wrong tho.

Edited by joevar

Is it safe to second seal whenever after promotion using Master Seal? For instance if I don’t like a class a unit is in or for the sake of switching weapon types around? Since it’s all internal levels it should be ok right? (Or am I being a massive idiot?)

I asked these earlier, but they got ignored:

On 2/1/2023 at 4:58 AM, Shadow Mir said:

Is there any way to save the village nearest the bandit bosses in chapter 13? Or is that impossible?

On 2/2/2023 at 6:03 PM, Shadow Mir said:

Is there any data on this game's maps and enemies (and most importantly, reinforcements)? I at least know there's enemy data out there, but...

Aside from those, I have two more questions:

Is there any particular story reason why Hortensia uses the Ring of the Instructor in chapter 10? She didn't lose the ring she had earlier after her prior run-in with the Divine One and friends...

Second, does the result of battling an Emblem in the arena matter? Or is the bond gain the same whether you win or lose? On a related note, when characters battle in the arena, do both of them gain exp?

Edited by Shadow Mir

18 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Second, does the result of battling an Emblem in the arena matter? Or is the bond gain the same whether you win or lose? On a related note, when characters battle in the arena, do both of them gain exp?

For Emblems it doesn't matter as far as I can tell. Other than unlocking achievements anyways. The only character that gains experience is the one you selected. And winning does matter here. I am not sure the exact different but it feels like you get twice as much xp from a win than from a loss.

Regarding the village question you had, I can't answer since I am not that far in the game yet, but you are making me think that the game went and pulled a you need a warp staff trick on us. If you have two staff users you could warp one 5 spaces ahead, move their full movement and then use rewarp to get another 5 spaces. So if the second staff unit was a Royal Knight or Griffin Knight you could move 5+6+5 or 16 spaces in 1 turn. That can get you quite a distance but without knowing the map I don't know if that would just be plain suicide or not.

On Maddening, it seems like you get only 10 exp regardless of whether you win or lose. On lower modes, exp can vary wildly also as a result of the opponent's power level. Against Emblems, it doesn't matter at all if you win or lose. 

Lapogne posted this video to show what happens if you visit the distant village in chapter 13:

Heh. 

Hello there all~!

I'm looking into some specific information on supports, and figured I'd try here before making a topic.

1) Do you gain any support from just being on the same map together, or does it need to be an action next to each other?

2) Do some actions give more support than others (teatime, healing with a staff, etc)?

3). Wake up events. If you raise Alear's support with someone (say, Clanne) to level B before seeing both of their C wake up events, can you still see the C rank wake up supports? 

5 minutes ago, bookwormbabe29 said:

3). Wake up events. If you raise Alear's support with someone (say, Clanne) to level B before seeing both of their C wake up events, can you still see the C rank wake up supports?

You instanly unlocked the lower level event. Since i see it happen to me with Ivy, she visit after reaching B, and in the reminisce menu theres already Variant 1 C, B, and variant 2 C of wake up event unlocked

So, we have listed in the descriptions the calculations for Engage Attacks like Astra Storm and Lodestar Rush being 30% damage for 5, 7, 8, or 9 attacks.

But do we have a calculation for Eirika's Twin Strike and Leif's Quadruple Hit? I'm having trouble planning these due to not understanding the calculation that goes into their damage, but maybe I just missed something? What made me extra curious about Eirika was using Twin Strike on Mage Knight Citrinne and depending on the weapon selected both attacks changed how much damage they were doing.

How do innate proficiencies work for a unit in a class with multiple weapons? In general, it seems like they raise the maximum weapon level by one level up until it reaches A rank if the class is capable of wielding multiple weapons. For example, Alcryst as a Warrior will have B rank in bows but his maximum bow tank remains an A as a Bow Knight. Is there more to innate proficiencies than this?

1 hour ago, Flying Shogi said:

How do innate proficiencies work for a unit in a class with multiple weapons? In general, it seems like they raise the maximum weapon level by one level up until it reaches A rank if the class is capable of wielding multiple weapons. For example, Alcryst as a Warrior will have B rank in bows but his maximum bow tank remains an A as a Bow Knight. Is there more to innate proficiencies than this?

There are "blue" proficiencies(afaik one per character and there is no way to get them) and they work different than standard white ones. General advanced classes could have "upgradeable" proficiencies - if a character has a blue proficiency and a class have "upgradeable" proficiency this character in this class will have +1 max rank. There is no easy way to figure out which proficiency is upgradeable and which one is not - general rule A only is upgradeable, B/B both are upgradeable A/something - something is always upgradeable A depends on the class.

Example - Boucheron have blue in Axes.

So he will be S axe general instead of A

A/B wyvern Knight instead of B/B

A/B axe bow knight instead of A/C

But only A/C warrior as the "higher" proficiency is not upgradeable

But S/C griffin knight because there is no consistency

15 hours ago, Coreyographed said:

So, we have listed in the descriptions the calculations for Engage Attacks like Astra Storm and Lodestar Rush being 30% damage for 5, 7, 8, or 9 attacks.

But do we have a calculation for Eirika's Twin Strike and Leif's Quadruple Hit? I'm having trouble planning these due to not understanding the calculation that goes into their damage, but maybe I just missed something? What made me extra curious about Eirika was using Twin Strike on Mage Knight Citrinne and depending on the weapon selected both attacks changed how much damage they were doing.

Lunar/Eclipse Brace requires attacking with a physical weapon, yeah? Maybe the first hit's using a magic weapon which is screwing with the second hit.

On 2/1/2023 at 10:24 PM, Pikappa93 said:

Sorry to bring this up again, I know it's very trivial stuff but it's bothering me to no end lol

Can someone check if they have this particular soundtrack unlocked? Thanks!

I just checked and after having completed the game, I also only have Tear Streaked (Ice) also. Oddly enough, I don't believe there is a calm version. I did some looking on YT and the Ice version is the only version uploaded.

On 2/4/2023 at 5:29 PM, ruruo said:

Is it safe to second seal whenever after promotion using Master Seal? For instance if I don’t like a class a unit is in or for the sake of switching weapon types around? Since it’s all internal levels it should be ok right? (Or am I being a massive idiot?)

Yes, once you master seal, you are free to just second seal into any promoted class (provided you have the right weapon ranks available). Going back to a base class is pointless unless you are specifically challenging yourself to have to deal with worse weapon ranks and lower max stats.

7 hours ago, Technoweirdo said:

Lunar/Eclipse Brace requires attacking with a physical weapon, yeah? Maybe the first hit's using a magic weapon which is screwing with the second hit.

That's a good point. I also just wish I knew if these were x% of attack, and how to calculate it along with Quadruple Hit