Fire Emblem Engage General Questions Thread

Azz

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Ⱥstra said:

How do I go about getting those fire emblem heroes rings and weapons? They seem pretty useful. I don't have any interesting in playing heroes however.

All you need to do is get the Heroes game, link up your matching nintendo accounts for your switch eshop and Heroes, I think you need to beat the prologue which should only be like 15-20 minutes, then when you are in the homebase in Heroes, you can redeem the code to access the weapons and rings for free, which will give you a code to use on the eshop which will allow you to download the items. I will say, they are quite useful, I used the three weapons all throughout the game and the three rings have some nice niches to them too, especially for early game.

2 hours ago, Azz said:

All you need to do is get the Heroes game, link up your matching nintendo accounts for your switch eshop and Heroes, I think you need to beat the prologue which should only be like 15-20 minutes, then when you are in the homebase in Heroes, you can redeem the code to access the weapons and rings for free, which will give you a code to use on the eshop which will allow you to download the items. I will say, they are quite useful, I used the three weapons all throughout the game and the three rings have some nice niches to them too, especially for early game.

Thank you. Sounds worth the short time it takes. I lthink that the S rank bond rings might remove some of the ring gacha reliance in the early game, which can be nice for planning out things.

12 hours ago, Azz said:

Can you grind bond with emblems in the tower or trials?

And are tempest trials good for grinding? Because I'm struggling with tight deployment limits forcing me to leave out some of the units I want to use; the last chapter I cleared only allowed me to use 7 units.

EDIT: Does resting to pass time in the Somniel do anything aside from triggering wake up events?

Edited by Shadow Mir

6 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

EDIT: Does resting to pass time in the Somniel do anything aside from triggering wake up events?

It changes the people hanging out in the Somniel at any time, which is probably most useful for changing which chef is in the kitchen in order to rig better meals. Plus one of the facilities can only be used at night so resting lets you get access to that. There may be other things but for now that's all I know of.

6 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

It changes the people hanging out in the Somniel at any time, which is probably most useful for changing which chef is in the kitchen in order to rig better meals. Plus one of the facilities can only be used at night so resting lets you get access to that. There may be other things but for now that's all I know of.

Changing the time of day also changes what fish can be caught if you go fishing. And changing the people hanging out at the Somniel is relevant if you're looking to give someone gifts to raise their support with Alear, and especially when you're eventually picking someone to S support with.

17 hours ago, Azz said:

Can you grind bond with emblems in the tower or trials?

Sadly not. You don't get anything from Tempest Trial outside of the bonus EXP at the end.

What are Ivy's best weapon/ Engraving option to fix her poor Hit? She has an unforged Bolganone with Celica's Engraving right now, and even with its 85 Hit her accuracy is... terrible. Thanks in advance!

I don't have any DLC, so those Engravings are out of the question for me.

Edited by DefyingFates

3 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

What are Ivy's best weapon/ Engraving option to fix her poor Hit? She has an unforged Bolganone with Celica's Engraving right now, and even with its 85 Hit her accuracy is... terrible. Thanks in advance!

I don't have any DLC, so those Engravings are out of the question for me.

Leif's or Lucina's are good options. Both give good Hit boosts (20 and 30 respectively) and their penalties (1MT for Lucina, 1WT for Lief) are not too terrible.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Leif's or Lucina's are good options. Both give good Hit boosts (20 and 30 respectively) and their penalties (1MT for Lucina, 1WT for Lief) are not too terrible.

I don't think I have Leif's on anything yet so I'll try that, thanks! I was considering Eirika's (+40 Hit), but the Avd/ Ddg (-20 each) cut seemed too steep. Thanks again!

34 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Is it just me, or do the engravings for most of the DLC emblems... suck, to put it lightly?

I assume you're excluding the 3H one, which is straightforwardly good.

Camilla's is a strong choice for someone like Diamant, or another bulky unit using a killer weapon. The other three are basically improvements on Roy/Ike - I think the issue is that there are now too many of that type of engraving, and not enough units who want to pay those costs for extra Mt. If anything, this is more of a problem for the Roy/Ike engravings than for the DLC ones. 

Put another way though, it means that the units who mainly care about Mt (maybe a def-tank, or a magic cannon) can get multiple weapons engraved. I wouldn't have had so many engravings congregate around that one niche, but I don't think they're terrible per se.

EDIT: There's also the consideration of smash weapons/engage attacks. I think the DLC engravings were balanced specifically for units bringing along smash weapons to use on engage attacks like Great Aether and Override.

Edited by haarhaarhaar

25 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Is it just me, or do the engravings for most of the DLC emblems... suck, to put it lightly?

Depends on their use. Tiki, Hector, and Soren's all increase Might at the cost of Avoid and Dodge. Unlike Roy's and Ike's who focus more on Weight penalties instead. They're all Engraving better suited to three-range weapons or for a slow but tanky unit to use, but the DLC ones having less Weight penalties (Hector is the only one who has it, and even it's just a 3 compared to Roy's 8 or Ike's 15!) means they don't get their AS drop too much if they lack the Build to offset it. Perhaps even the better choice for a Longbow, as they can still double unlike the thunder Tomes.

Meanwhile, Camilla's might even be better than Lyn's for Killer weapons, as it gives even higher Crit bonus and it doesn't reduce Might. It adds to it even, even if it's just an increase of 1. Again, it comes with Avoid and Dodge penalties, so it might be better suited to give to a slow tanky unit wielding a killer weapon.

Alternatively, Lucina's Bonded Shield is a nice way to mitigate the penalties.

Gonna admit Edelgard's really seem to be the worst of the lot. At least for having a specialization.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 minutes ago, haarhaarhaar said:

I assume you're excluding the 3H one, which is straightforwardly good.

Yeah, that one doesn't have any major downsides; all it has on the downside front is +1 weight. I'm concerned with literally all the other DLC engravings.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Gonna admit Edelgard's really seem to be the worst of the lot. At least for having a specialization.

I really think there's a place for all-rounder engravings, especially early on. You might not be confident in how long the weapon (or unit) will stick around, but you're using it right now so you want an immediate power boost you don't have to think about. If you think about it as a stand-in for forging up a weapon when you can't afford to spend money/metal (and no individual forge level buffs as much as the 3H engraving afaik), it definitely holds up for quite a while.

Just now, haarhaarhaar said:

I really think there's a place for all-rounder engravings, especially early on. You might not be confident in how long the weapon (or unit) will stick around, but you're using it right now so you want an immediate power boost you don't have to think about. If you think about it as a stand-in for forging up a weapon when you can't afford to spend money/metal (and no individual forge level buffs as much as the 3H engraving afaik), it definitely holds up for quite a while.

Oh, right. Specially since you can get it quite early too without having to do a Divine Paralogue.

So basically it's the DLC's equivalent to Marth's.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, right. Specially since you can get it quite early too without having to do a Divine Paralogue.

So basically it's the DLC's equivalent to Marth's.

Yeah I think this is the way to consider it. Even just having one more all-purpose engraving increases your options early on (like buffing a Wo Dao or something). 

20 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

So I'm not sure if you watch faergast but if you do, then you'll probably know this bun you can run either Pannete, alcryst or zelkov. If you have max support on them (A in their cases) that support bonus will give you 20 Hit each. So in theory running all 3 and having them next to ivy can generate +60 Hit. Here's the video that explains it but the tldr is that supports are separated into 4 groups that give base bonuses to hit dodge and avoid. All the three I mentioned are in the Hit category meaning any unit their supported with and if they're fighting next to eachother will get +20 Hit on A level supports.

The video explaining this: 

Edited by Vicyus

1 hour ago, I Am Cute said:

Is it better to pair emblem rings to units who have the same weapon affinitity, or the other way around?

For the beginning I thought it's better to have matching rings to have faster boosts of the already used weapon type (like Jade x Ike and Alcryst x Lyn), but I'm not sure...

There really isn't a definitive answer to this because it depends on the emblem. As an example I use Lyn primarily to fix the speed on a unit and don't really bother with the bow aspec, but with Celica I'd opt to pair her with a unit who is effective with magic because she primarily gives you a buff to damage with tomes. Generally speaking though I'd say that you should look at the abilities they provide first and then only look to pair a unit with an emblem that matches their weapon if that's the most important thing that the emblem gives. If you're just looking to upgrade weapon ranks it's better to use bond points for that.

4 hours ago, I Am Cute said:

Is it better to pair emblem rings to units who have the same weapon affinitity, or the other way around?

For the beginning I thought it's better to have matching rings to have faster boosts of the already used weapon type (like Jade x Ike and Alcryst x Lyn), but I'm not sure...

>Faster boosts of the already used weapon type
Hm? If we're talking about raising weapon ranks from B to A to S, I thought there's no way; thought that it's strictly tied to class.  

Still, matching weapon types has a use for Engage Attacks involving selectable weapons (Marth, Sigurd, Roy, lol Lucina's, Lyn, Ike, Eirika). Outside of that, you're mainly picking for stats and skills. Weapons are a bonus.

So... how the hell do arts calculate damage??? Because I just saw Framme damage an armored knight despite the fact that 23 defense shoulda said lolnope (she was adjacent to Alear, but I expected that to still give me double zeros from her counter). So what's going on here??