Fire Emblem Engage General Questions Thread

Azz

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

Soren's Paralogue had a seeming DLC Class among the enemies, right? Was anyone doing that Paralogue able to read the Class' skill and if so, what does it do and what are its weapon ranks? Thank you in advance!

Class skill is Convoy - unit can withdraw from and send items to the Convoy on their turn.

They only had B Arts I think (but they weren’t running more than Steel/Shielding iirc). I couldnt see anything on their stats that indicated how they cast enchantments, or what enchantments they had. Which suggests the ability is like the Dancer’s Dance ability, which also doesn’t show on Seadall when you look at his stats while he’s a green unit.

Edited by haarhaarhaar

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, haarhaarhaar said:

Class skill is Convoy - unit can withdraw from and send items to the Convoy on their turn.

They only had B Arts I think (but they weren’t running more than Steel/Shielding iirc). I couldnt see anything on their stats that indicated how they cast enchantments, or what enchantments they had. Which suggests the ability is like the Dancer’s Dance ability, which also doesn’t show on Seadall when you look at his stats while he’s a green unit.

Don't they also use daggers?

Anyway, while I hadn't thought of them having a "hidden" ability like Seadall, I did think they had an odd name for a class without magic abilities, so thanks for pointing that out! Even without magic though, that skill sounds perfect for someone using Micaiah. Imagine being able to pull out whatever staff you want without needing to be (adjacent to) Alear!

Thanks again for the information too! That's the only class that's been teased, right? I hope we see the others in Wave 3, I'm really curious to see what they'll all be if they're all going to be brand new (or heavily remixed) like this one is. Fingers crossed for at least four, if not five, new toys to play with come Wave 4!

16 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

What is the best use for Celica's engraving?

I only ever use it for Ivy's tome. She's the only unit that has such awful luck to badly need the extra dodge and prevent getting critted through her otherwise decent-for-a-mage bulk.

Regarding one of the last characters to join, so I'll use spoiler tags:

Spoiler

Are Obscurite and Misericorde worth using on Veyle? Neither one seems to do much damage, and you get Nova immediately afterwards so I just gave her that and Thoron. Are they weapons that become incredibly more valuable with forging or are they not worth the investment?

Also, is Liberation worth using in late/ postgame? Mine does barely any damage and I'd like to know if it's worth forging it or if I should just leave it in my convoy.

Thank you in advance, everyone!

38 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Regarding one of the last characters to join, so I'll use spoiler tags:

Hide contents

Are Obscurite and Misericorde worth using on Veyle? Neither one seems to do much damage, and you get Nova immediately afterwards so I just gave her that and Thoron. Are they weapons that become incredibly more valuable with forging or are they not worth the investment?

Also, is Liberation worth using in late/ postgame? Mine does barely any damage and I'd like to know if it's worth forging it or if I should just leave it in my convoy.

Thank you in advance, everyone!

The dagger gets +2 Mt per craft until the final upgrade. Unless you really want to make them a combat unit and don't have better at this point in the game I wouldn't bother though. I personally just used them as a Byleth Dance of the Goddess bot for their class.

Liberation gets a replacement really late into the game, so if you don't have it at +5 yet it might be worth using the crafting resources on something else. It does make for a strong craft early on though given that it's a cheap craft and it gets used a lot.

24 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

How hard is The Connector?

It's difficult relative to the other paralogues and the immediately following maps if you're just looking at enemy stats, and it forces you to deal with more enemies at a time than the next few chapters. It's also a route map so cheese options are limited. Actual difficulty will depend on your difficulty mode of choice and personal experience.

23 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Don't they also use daggers?

They may have the ability to (SF says they do), I just don’t recall anyone in Soren’s paralogue using one so can’t confirm.

Even without magic though, that skill sounds perfect for someone using Micaiah. Imagine being able to pull out whatever staff you want without needing to be (adjacent to) Alear!

Agreed, Enchanter seems pretty much support-locked so Micaiah may be the best emblem for them.

That's the only class that's been teased, right? I hope we see the others in Wave 3, I'm really curious to see what they'll all be if they're all going to be brand new (or heavily remixed) like this one is. Fingers crossed for at least four, if not five, new toys to play with come Wave 4!

Yeah only DLC class we’ve seen so far. I’m guessing DLC recruits will have their own classes, so maybe 3-4?

10 hours ago, haarhaarhaar said:

Yeah only DLC class we’ve seen so far. I’m guessing DLC recruits will have their own classes, so maybe 3-4?

Awesome, I'm excited to meet the units and classes both!

10 hours ago, haarhaarhaar said:

Agreed, Enchanter seems pretty much support-locked so Micaiah may be the best emblem for them.

I look forward to seeing all the crazy stuff that combination can produce~

Thank you for your answers!

Edited by DefyingFates

19 hours ago, samthedigital said:

It's difficult relative to the other paralogues and the immediately following maps if you're just looking at enemy stats, and it forces you to deal with more enemies at a time than the next few chapters. It's also a route map so cheese options are limited. Actual difficulty will depend on your difficulty mode of choice and personal experience.

Doesn't help that the main issue is that you lose if the ring stealer escapes, does it...

That aside... which Emblem paralogues stand out as being particularly hard, either in general or relative to the time you unlock them? Only one I can think of off the top of my head is that Lyn's paralogue doesn't look like it'll be a fun time on Maddening...

39 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

That aside... which Emblem paralogues stand out as being particularly hard, either in general or relative to the time you unlock them? Only one I can think of off the top of my head is that Lyn's paralogue doesn't look like it'll be a fun time on Maddening...

Ike's paralogue is the first one that comes to mind for maddening specifically. Even with cheese there are so few options to actually damage Ike until you get some more emblems and resources. I find that most of the difficulty that the paralogues provide otherwise comes from gotcha moments.

I've noticed that Vander earns quite more EXP in the Arena than he does in the early game. Is there a reason for this?

In general, do we understand how EXP distribution in the Arena works? I know that win means more EXP than loss, but not specifics.

1 hour ago, DaveCozy said:

In general, do we understand how EXP distribution in the Arena works? I know that win means more EXP than loss, but not specifics.

I'm not sure how it works on other difficulties, but on Maddening you get a fixed 10 exp per battle and 5 SP when using a bond ring; emblem rings don't provide SP because there's the potential to fight an emblem in the arena.

1 hour ago, DaveCozy said:

I've noticed that Vander earns quite more EXP in the Arena than he does in the early game. Is there a reason for this?

37 minutes ago, samthedigital said:

I'm not sure how it works on other difficulties, but on Maddening you get a fixed 10 exp per battle and 5 SP when using a bond ring; emblem rings don't provide SP because there's the potential to fight an emblem in the arena.

To add onto this, I've done Maddening post-game, and it seems like the EXP formula arena becomes what it is in other modes? Or so I assume, because it gets buffed. Youg get 15 for a loss, and more for a win. Lower level units beating units with higher ratings results in higher EXP gain, like my underleveled Diamant beating my leveled Lapis got him about 60 EXP with Lineage and Mentorship bonuses.

Also that, Lineage and Mentorship do apply even in Maddening, so you can get a bit more out of each arena with these two skills.

14 hours ago, meltenvy said:

Also that, Lineage and Mentorship do apply even in Maddening, so you can get a bit more out of each arena with these two skills.

So they do stack! I thought so but it's nice to get confirmation.

Do those skills affect the Arena though? I gave Mentorship to Framme and I could have sworn she got the same EXP in the Arena (50) vs Diamant as she would have otherwise...

For the record, Framme was dropped early in my run (she was Lv 15) vs Diamant (who's looped through Successeur a few times by now).

I'm currently watching a Maddening playthorugh and it's making me want to attempt my first Maddening run but I have some questions.

1. Are level ups for characters set in stone the moment a character is recruited like how it was in Fates? I know starting a chapter/skirmish on Hard resets the level up RNG but is that still applicable on Maddening?

2. I heard that the game forces your first Maddening run to be played on fixed growth mode. Is this true? 

3. I think I heard somewhere that Maddening has a cap for the number of stats you can get across all of your level ups. Ex: if a unit gets 30 level ups, they can only get say, a cap of 50 stat increases, and that number is spread across their stats. Is this true?

4. Stat boosting meals/tonics are probably recommended on Maddening but are they necessary to a degree? I cleared the game on Hard and I didn't cook meals nor use tonics but I feel like if some maps were any harder, I probably wouldn't have been able to clear them. Granted, I did try to split my units into 2 groups on certain maps where I had the choice but that usually did not end well.

Edited by Flying Shogi

34 minutes ago, Flying Shogi said:

I'm currently watching a Maddening playthorugh and it's making me want to attempt my first Maddening run but I have some questions.

1. Are level ups for characters set in stone the moment a character is recruited like how it was in Fates? I know starting a chapter/skirmish on Hard resets the level up RNG but is that still applicable on Maddening?

2. I heard that the game forces your first Maddening run to be played on fixed growth mode. Is this true? 

3. I think I heard somewhere that Maddening has a cap for the number of stats you can get across all of your level ups. Ex: if a unit gets 30 level ups, they can only get say, a cap of 50 stat increases, and that number is spread across their stats. Is this true?

3. Stat boosting meals/tonics are probably recommended on Maddening but are they necessary to a degree? I cleared the game on Hard and I didn't cook meals nor use tonics but I feel like if some maps were any harder, I probably wouldn't have been able to clear them. Granted, I did try to split my units into 2 groups on certain maps where I had the choice and it would work out sometimes but it usually did not end well most of the time.

2. This is correct; your units will always have their average stats on the first playthrough.

4. I'm not sure that they're necessary exactly, but using some key ones will help for the more difficult chapters. You should probably cook every time you go back to the Somniel anyway; it doesn't take a lot of time, and it increases everyone's stats. Note that you can only get a set amount of stats from activity, so using both the temporary stat boosters and cooking can potentially be redundant.

On 2/26/2023 at 5:59 AM, Shadow Mir said:

Doesn't help that the main issue is that you lose if the ring stealer escapes, does it...

Honestly that's the least of your worries. The ring stealer can be hit with Freeze, Entrap, and Dreadful Aura so he's not getting away. The issue is that, once you defeat him, you will face a lot of enemies from all sides and it's a rout map.

Lyn's paralogue would be very tough if you do it ASAP. I would not do so. Wait a few chapters. Every maingame story chapter from 13 to 16 gives some incredible rewards: great PCs and an incredible run of emblems. The rewards of doing any one paralogue don't compare to that.

I generally did most paralogues around the time of their recommended level relative to story fights and it worked out fine. Lyn was still one of the tougher ones. Leif can be as well but as long as you're careful on the first few turns (be willing to math out what those ballistas do) I don't think it's too bad.

Do Lineage and Mentorship (Edelgard and Byleth's skills respectively) stack? Thanks in advance!

P.S. Is it possible to toggle animations on and off by pressing ZR? I can only open up the options to toggle the info display and minimap types.

Edited by DefyingFates

9 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Honestly that's the least of your worries. The ring stealer can be hit with Freeze, Entrap, and Dreadful Aura so he's not getting away. The issue is that, once you defeat him, you will face a lot of enemies from all sides and it's a rout map.

Don't they have Anchor, which would render Entrap useless?

9 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Lyn's paralogue would be very tough if you do it ASAP. I would not do so. Wait a few chapters. Every maingame story chapter from 13 to 16 gives some incredible rewards: great PCs and an incredible run of emblems. The rewards of doing any one paralogue don't compare to that.

I figured as much; I looked at the stats, and the way I see it, if I'm struggling out the gate, I won't be able to stop the reinforcements that come out if the gold carrying mages and bow knights are still alive... which would make it a classic "bad to worse" situation, as those then become aggressive.

10 hours ago, Flying Shogi said:

Yes.

3. Stat boosting meals/tonics are probably recommended on Maddening but are they necessary to a degree? I cleared the game on Hard and I didn't cook meals nor use tonics but I feel like if some maps were any harder, I probably wouldn't have been able to clear them. Granted, I did try to split my units into 2 groups on certain maps where I had the choice and it would work out sometimes but it usually did not end well most of the time.

Probably, especially when it comes to Corrupted Wyrms, which first show up in chapter 16 (technically, that's false, as you see them in 11, but they're the least of your worries there). They're a bitch to kill, AND they ignore defense (the ones in chapter 16 have something stupid like 32 defense and 38 attack! And it only gets worse from there. Oh, and that Wyrmslayer you get a couple chapters before? It ain't helping you there; I think they were trolling us with that). However, I'd be careful about it, as you can only get so many stats from activity, so you'll want to avoid redundancy.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

Do Lineage and Mentorship (Edelgard and Byleth's skills respectively) stack? Thanks in advance!

P.S. Is it possible to toggle animations on and off by pressing ZR? I can only open up the options to toggle the info display and minimap types.

Hold, don't press when combat's about to start.

With fixed growths (which is forced on your first Maddening run, yes), level-up RNG isn't set in stone on recruitment -- level-up RNG simply doesn't exist. It's based purely on growths, be they from personal, class, or Tiki. Just imagine every stat is not X but X.xx, and you'll have the idea.

52 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Don't they have Anchor, which would render Entrap useless?

Oh yeah, now that I think about it, you're right. That said, Freeze and Dreadful Aura do still work, and he starts in range of both of those on turn 1. There's really no excuse for him getting away.

3 minutes ago, Technoweirdo said:

Hold, don't press when combat's about to start.

Thanks! And I assume this is a combat-by-combat basis, not something that will permanently turn combat on and off? If this works on enemy phase too, do you have to hold ZR as the enemy approaches you? I really wanted a custom setting that would enable animations for bosses only, but I could cope with this option. Thanks again!

1 minute ago, DefyingFates said:

Thanks! And I assume this is a combat-by-combat basis, not something that will permanently turn combat on and off? If this works on enemy phase too, do you have to hold ZR as the enemy approaches you? I really wanted a custom setting that would enable animations for bosses only, but I could cope with this option. Thanks again!

Yes, it works on enemy phase so long as you hold.