Fire Emblem Engage General Questions Thread

Azz

7 minutes ago, Technoweirdo said:

Yes, it works on enemy phase so long as you hold.

Got it, thanks! As long as I can see boss dialogue "properly" and speed through other fights I'm happy. Of course an enemy starting a fight from an adjacent spot is going to be difficult to get the timing for... does holding the button down during dialogue also trigger the full animation?

...though I suppose not many people would be interested in that, so I guess I should just replay one of the Divine Paralogues and try it for myself if you or anyone else hasn't already tried it out. Thank you again!

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Oh yeah, now that I think about it, you're right. That said, Freeze and Dreadful Aura do still work, and he starts in range of both of those on turn 1. There's really no excuse for him getting away.

Fair enough. Also, I don't think I can cheat the system by killing him last (as the reinforcements would still spawn rather then the map ending), can I?

5 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Fair enough. Also, I don't think I can cheat the system by killing him last (as the reinforcements would still spawn rather then the map ending), can I?

Correct. You have to take on the reinforcements no matter what. Personally, I let him get near the exit before ganking him. Figured being able to deal with small bunches of reinforcements immediately would help.

4 hours ago, Technoweirdo said:

Correct. You have to take on the reinforcements no matter what. Personally, I let him get near the exit before ganking him. Figured being able to deal with small bunches of reinforcements immediately would help.

Figures it wouldn't be that simple.

Now then... as Rosado and Goldmary's skills only work against male units, I can't help but ask, am I the only one who thinks it can be kinda hard to tell the gender of some of the generic units from looks alone? Especially for classes like Hero and Swordmaster.

EDIT: Anyone else saw more than one Silver Corrupted or Gold Corrupted in the same skirmish? Or - and this is a really odd one - an enemy unit in a skirmish having two weapons... only for both of them to be the same weapon?

Edited by Shadow Mir

41 minutes ago, Azz said:

Do we know how class change stats and promo bonuses work in this game yet?

Should be the difference between the base stats of the old class and those of the new class.

20 hours ago, samthedigital said:

4. I'm not sure that they're necessary exactly, but using some key ones will help for the more difficult chapters. You should probably cook every time you go back to the Somniel anyway; it doesn't take a lot of time, and it increases everyone's stats. Note that you can only get a set amount of stats from activity, so using both the temporary stat boosters and cooking can potentially be redundant.

For some reason, I thought the meals only affected the chosen characters. Thanks for the clarification.

10 hours ago, Technoweirdo said:

With fixed growths (which is forced on your first Maddening run, yes), level-up RNG isn't set in stone on recruitment -- level-up RNG simply doesn't exist. It's based purely on growths, be they from personal, class, or Tiki. Just imagine every stat is not X but X.xx, and you'll have the idea.

So basically all characters will be at their average stats on fixed growth mode. Is fixed growth mode documented in more detail somewhere? It doesn't seem like the Engage page on the main site have a page for it.

I believe I found a weird bug. In my Maddening save file, units will no longer use their unique quotes when defeating an enemy while engaged (like "I never yield" while engaged with Marth etc.).

Curiously, this isn't the case in my Hard mode save file.

Did this happen to anyone else?

20 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

EDIT: Anyone else saw more than one Silver Corrupted or Gold Corrupted in the same skirmish? Or - and this is a really odd one - an enemy unit in a skirmish having two weapons... only for both of them to be the same weapon?

I've seen more than one Silver/Gold Corrupted in a single skirmish - I don't think it's a bug though, as this was a late-game skirmish. Having two of the same weapon is weird though.

Now then... as Rosado and Goldmary's skills only work against male units, I can't help but ask, am I the only one who thinks it can be kinda hard to tell the gender of some of the generic units from looks alone? Especially for classes like Hero and Swordmaster.

I do struggle with this as well - anecdotally there seem to be more male enemies than female after they join, but I can't say I've been paying too much attention to it. Unlike previous games gender and unit class aren't tied together (which is an improvement!), but it also means I don't normally find out till the combat itself.

When in doubt you can go to the unit's status screen to have a good look at the enemy. But... yes, it's still hard to tell with some enemies, even then, particularly corrupted.

Most enemy units are male but it's not, like, the overwhelming majority like it is in the older games. I'd guess around three quarters.

13 hours ago, Flying Shogi said:

So basically all characters will be at their average stats on fixed growth mode. Is fixed growth mode documented in more detail somewhere? It doesn't seem like the Engage page on the main site have a page for it.

I haven't seen any documentation of it. Obviously there has to be something going on under the hood because characters don't necessarily gain their highest growths with their first level. It could just be as simple as "when a character is recruited, add a random number from 0 to 99 to their internal progress to levelling up a stat". Or it could be like FE9 and there could be fixed ones? Should be easy enough if to discern if compare to fixed-mode playthroughs side by side.

14 hours ago, Flying Shogi said:

Every unit has fixed decimal values for their stats in Fixed mode. Those decimals are hidden from the player, and they're always rounded down to the nearest whole number.

This is why your first level up for most units will always have a +1 in certain stats under Fixed growths. Alear doesn't technically start from 22 HP for e.g. even though that's what we see; they start from 22.6 HP in the games code variable. So at level 2, with a 70% growth, it'll go up by one point, to 27 HP guaranteed.

If what you're looking for is an average stats calculator, triangle attack has a tool for that: https://fe17.triangleattack.com/average_stats

You can see the starting decimals of every unit there. And no sweat to understand this either, you can simply use the tool instead to compare what stats you can expect in Fixed, or even to compare what average stats would look like in Random too. Even when I play Random, I actually like comparing average stats too just to see if I got lucky or not with certain level ups.

Also, skills like Jean's personal and Starsphere will alter the values you'll get under Fixed Growths, as well as class growths from class changing.

Edited by DaveCozy

Are Bond Levels more difficult to get the higher they are? Obviously higher levels are more expensive to get in the Arena, but how about in regular maps - is it always the same amount of "EXP" to go from Level 1 to 2 as it is to go from 15 to 16?

Also, how exactly does Edelgard's Weapon Sync work for Emblems with multiple weapon types? Does every Emblem have one weapon assigned to them (I assume most would be swords) or would someone like Lucina count as both a sword user and an archer?

Thank you all in advance!

2 hours ago, CompteSecours said:

But can you quadruple attack with a Hero lance ?

I assume you mean with Chain Attacks in which case I assume not, since chain attacks use the unit's HP instead. Then again, daggers still poison enemies, so who knows?

Anyone know exactly how cooking works? Because I saw Alfred make a F rank meal. And I wonder how to avoid that, or worse, the dreaded F--, aka G rank meal.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Yes. Halberdier's skill guarantees followups on a weapon which can do them, i.e. your attack speed is treated as infinite for that combat. So you can't double with smash weapons (which can't followup) but you can quad with braves just fine, which are perfectly capable of quadding naturally in the hands of a fast character.

What are the best ways to increase Bond Levels outside of spending Fragments? I noticed you only get Bond EXP for Player Phase actions and that you seem to get more for Engage attacks. Is there more to it than that though? Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

What are the best ways to increase Bond Levels outside of spending Fragments? I noticed you only get Bond EXP for Player Phase actions and that you seem to get more for Engage attacks. Is there more to it than that though? Thanks in advance!

It's pretty much only arena and player phase battling unfortunately. You can polish rings however I recently discovered that your bond level will not level up even if it reaches max bond for that level while polishing requiring you to fight in the arena or another fight (and even then polishing is super slow for bond). So yeah, fighting or spending bond fragments is the only way.

In fairness however, bond does seem to go up fast enough and I think that it does go up faster if you're engaged and use engage attacks/emblem exclusive actions (i.e. Echo for Celica).

16 minutes ago, Azz said:

You can polish rings however I recently discovered that your bond level will not level up even if it reaches max bond for that level while polishing requiring you to fight in the arena or another fight

I think I encountered that a little while ago too. That sucks 😕

16 minutes ago, Azz said:

In fairness however, bond does seem to go up fast enough and I think that it does go up faster if you're engaged and use engage attacks/emblem exclusive actions (i.e. Echo for Celica).

Thanks! I actually just got done experimenting with in-battle Bond EXP myself and posted my findings here if you or anyone else is interested in checking it out! Maybe it'll help anyone else in my shoes (or give someone a chance to point out something I missed)!

5 hours ago, Cray said:

I noticed that the class growth rates table has two entries for some classes (eg Noble, Lord). How can I differentiate these in-game?

If you're referring to this table, then just look at the next class down. Each pair of Royal siblings' starting classes has the same name but promote into unique ones. I hope this helps!

7 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

If you're referring to this table, then just look at the next class down. Each pair of Royal siblings' starting classes has the same name but promote into unique ones. I hope this helps!

I think I follow; let me confirm with an example:

Spoiler

Alfred and Celine both start as the Noble class. From the chart, one of them will promote to Avenir, and the other will promote to Vidame. I can't find a resource that shows what classes each character can promote to, so I'm guessing that Alfred is the Avenir because it doesn't have magic growth, and likewise Celine is the Vidame. Is my understanding correct?