Fire Emblem Engage General Questions Thread

Azz

On 3/10/2023 at 8:57 PM, Use the Falchion said:

Is Ike really a good Emblem for Timerra? I understand that he's a great Emblem for pretty much every physical unit, but does he synergize with her well? In my first playthrough, I took Ike off Timerra and gave him to Jade. (10/10 would do again.) Timerra had Eirika before I settled on Lucina, and I loved that combo. On Playthrough 2 I did the same thing. For Playthrough 3, I want to mix it up, but also want an Emblem that synergizes well with Timerra. I have the DLC, so maybe the House Leaders? 

Ike/Timerra is certainly solid, the fun thing about it is that Sandstorm lets Great Aether get kills which seem like they'd be very difficult to get with most other setups. Although Picket Timerra herself can't use axes so misses out on some opportunities like Hurricane Axe, or for that matter Silver Greataxe from someone with high strength.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone discovered a way to change the RNG on the Ancient Well? I've tried a few different things, but no luck so far. Most recently, I put in two brave weapons and a Peshkatz (for a 5-star upgrade chance), and got out 600 SP worth of SP books, a Croissbow... and a Peshkatz. I appreciate any SP I can get, but I did feel quite shortchanged by that.

Also, are there any non-Wrath learnable skills that boost crit rate?

10 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

I think you still miss bond fragments that are lying on the map to be collected though, so don't leave right away!

Haha, that was about to be my next question, thanks!

Now my next question feels more like an opinion-based question, but I'll ask it anyways. Is it worth basing who you give your emblems to on the weapon type they boost? For example giving Lucina to your bow user because she buffs bows, Ike to your axe user since he buffs axes. Is it worth that even if it might be slightly less optimal when considering their other abilities? I mostly have my doubts about emblems that give a penalty to avoid.

20 minutes ago, whase said:

Now my next question feels more like an opinion-based question, but I'll ask it anyways. Is it worth basing who you give your emblems to on the weapon type they boost? For example giving Lucina to your bow user because she buffs bows, Ike to your axe user since he buffs axes. Is it worth that even if it might be slightly less optimal when considering their other abilities? I mostly have my doubts about emblems that give a penalty to avoid.

I don't have a concrete answer for that; it depends. Celica is the only emblem that I would strictly use on a magic user, and Roy is an example of a unit I'd only use on a sword user. Marth is useful early on for a variety of units because of the exp buff to Mercurius, but later on in the game I think that is also an example of an emblem that I would use strictly  to buff sword units. His special is also best used with a unit that can use a good smash weapon. Otherwise I would look at the other attributes before I look at the weapon buffs. I would also generally stick Sigurd on a lance user, but if I really need the movement on another unit for whatever reason I'd swap to that instead.

Using Lucina as an example I personally look at her Bonded Shield Skill and prefer to put her on a Martial Master, but you can also look at her attributes and stick her on a dagger user for poison stacking on assists. I would exclusively use Byleth on a support unit, but you could look at the magic synergy with Thyrsus and decide based on that. The tl;dr is that there are a lot of options to toy around with, and I only scratched the surface.

Edited by samthedigital

3 hours ago, whase said:

Haha, that was about to be my next question, thanks!

[Weapon] Precision/Focus/Avoid/Power are not Sync skills. Lucina doesn't quite buff bows, Ike doesn't buff axes, etc., nor do they give penalties related to those skills.

6 hours ago, whase said:

Generally, no - for at least some emblems (ie Byleth) their weapon buffs are pretty irrelevant, and there are only a couple where the weapon buffs are important. Off the top of my head, Roy, Marth, Celica, Ike and Eirika all like units who possess the same weapon type. But the points made above about the first three of those emblems still stand, and in the case of Ike/Eirika, other parts of their kit are so good that you shouldn't feel bound to putting them on units with complementary weapons.  

If you've got the DLC, you can learn Weapon Sync from the 3H kids, which boosts attack by 5 (or 7 for the advanced version) if you're wielding the same weapon as a synced emblem, or when you're engaged with any emblem. Units running brave weapons or doubling regularly really appreciate that flat boost to attack (it's cheaper and available much earlier than Str+5 or Mag+5) so that's one particular case where you might really want to match up unit and emblem weapon.

3 hours ago, Technoweirdo said:

[Weapon] Precision/Focus/Avoid/Power are not Sync skills. Lucina doesn't quite buff bows, Ike doesn't buff axes, etc., nor do they give penalties related to those skills.

I decided to do a google search on this, because it felt wrong, but you seem to be right. Those weapon skills are never actually active, and are only there to be inherited. I never would've guessed, thanks!

Though if that's true...

24 minutes ago, haarhaarhaar said:

Generally, no - for at least some emblems (ie Byleth) their weapon buffs are pretty irrelevant, and there are only a couple where the weapon buffs are important. Off the top of my head, Roy, Marth, Celica, Ike and Eirika all like units who possess the same weapon type. But the points made above about the first three of those emblems still stand, and in the case of Ike/Eirika, other parts of their kit are so good that you shouldn't feel bound to putting them on units with complementary weapons.

Then why do these emblem weapon types matter?

Edited by whase
apparently control+enter posts the thing

2 hours ago, whase said:

Then why do these emblem weapon types matter?

Obviously very subjective, but here are my reasons:

I think Roy's level up ability helps sword users the most (because broadly speaking swords are slightly lower Mt), and Advance is most relevant for sword users who mostly don't have ranged options. There's not a huge amount in it for Roy though. 

For Marth, it's mostly so that you can get KOs from Lodestar Rush with high-Mt weapons. Divine Speed/Break Defenses help sword users, but they help everybody so being able to run another weapon alongside swords is also useful.

For Celica, she wants units that can use tomes so that Resonance works outside of being engaged, and so that you can use Echo with things like Excalibur (for effective damage), Nova (multiple kills), and Thunder tomes (chip multiple units, or apply debuffs to multiple units at range). 

Ike wants axes because they're more powerful than swords for Great Aether. Can recommend the Hurricane Axe in particular - lots of damage against otherwise tough enemies with relatively minimal setup.

Eirika is basically my personal preference - I really liked having her on Griffin Knight Chloe (who was independently built for high-Avo but has low strength), and I think lances, which are balanced between weight, hit and damage already, make the most of Eclipse Brace/Blue Skies. But like Roy, there's not much in it.

Edited by haarhaarhaar

17 hours ago, haarhaarhaar said:

Are there any non-Wrath learnable skills that boost crit rate?

Dexterity+5 from Lucina, technically. And there's Sniper's No Distractions if you count class skills.

But yeah, besides Wrath, nothing else really sticks out. That's where engravings come in.

Edited by DaveCozy

2 hours ago, DaveCozy said:

Dexterity+5 from Lucina, technically. And there's Sniper's No Distractions if you count class skills.

But yeah, besides Wrath, nothing else really sticks out. That's where engravings come in.

Thanks! Yeah, I thought so, but still a shame.

I have a question I want to ask, but want to know if I need to say “spoilers” first. Could someone let me know and I will come back this afternoon and post my question, because it involves the timeline of the game and a question based on that.

On 2/11/2023 at 8:17 PM, Usana said:

I thought there was an option in the game iteself. So you would have to get access to the old FEH. Looking at Account management in FEH there is a Delete All Data option. Not sure if that will let you link the newer account to your Nintendo account afterwords.

This FAQ seems to indicate that deleting the data would unlink that account. - https://support.fire-emblem-heroes.com/en-US/faq
So I guess you would need another device so that you can load that account up onto(there are apps to emulate on PC if you don't have a second phone to use) and then delete the data and then try and link your new one to your account. But I have never done this so I have no idea if that is how it works.

Alternatively if you don't want to play risky with deletion and don't care about the FEH side of the rewards you could always use an emulator or second phone and just get use that account to get the rewards and then forget about the old account and continue playing on your new one.

I just wanted to send out a shout and thanks for helping me think creatively. I used our iPad to load my original FEH game to get the DLC. Thanks!!

36 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

I have a question I want to ask, but want to know if I need to say “spoilers” first. Could someone let me know and I will come back this afternoon and post my question, because it involves the timeline of the game and a question based on that.

If you need to, you can always use a spoiler box to hide the question. When you type it out, there should be a little eye icon on the top bar, you can click that and type the question in the box that comes out.

Hey everyone. I have a question about skill inheritance and the emblems. In general, I just don’t even know where to start, but I have two very specific questions - Who the heck should Veronica be paired with? I am guessing a tome user, but then I wondered if it should be a stave user. 

but I also have one more question, below

Spoiler

I am almost to the double chapter but have the chance to grind a little more - the second fight with Ivy and the Soren and Camilla paralogues. Is there anyone that needs to inherit something before I enter into that chapter?

23 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

but I also have one more question, below

Hide contents

I am almost to the double chapter but have the chance to grind a little more - the second fight with Ivy and the Soren and Camilla paralogues. Is there anyone that needs to inherit something before I enter into that chapter?

I'd say Canter is the best skill to inherit before chapter 10 for any units that are frequently earning EXP on your turn. The utility of being able to move 2 spaces after your action makes it really easy to set up your formation for things like Micaiah staffing and Byleth dancing.

But that said there are other notable skills that you can pick up over Canter if your unit is going to be waiting their actions more, or maybe you value a damage boost sooner instead;

• Momentum - on Cavalry and Fliers this is a pretty notable damage boost, albeit specific to your movement. Still it's not super unusual to get a +5 out of it on your mobile units.
  • Strength+2 / Magic +2 - if your unit doubles that is essentially +4 damage from these skills, so it's not a bad choice for fast units. Unlike momentum these also work on enemy phase and doesn't depend on your movement to scale. I wouldn't go past +2 though, as the +3 upgrades are overpriced.
  • Sword Power 1 / Lance Power 1 - basically the same thing as above but for a specific weapon instead, and they also scale better in SP cost.
  • Vantage - for enemy phase units who want to use a high might smash weapon to hit enemies back with, or want to combo it with Wrath later in the game
  • Unyielding - can help keep a tank healthy and is super cheap to inherit.
  • Arms Shield - works off weapon advantage only but it's cheap as well and can help keep an enemy phase unit relatively tankier too.

Just off the top of my head. In general though, Canter is still probably the best inherit for most units, so that's a safe investment if you're not sure on the rest. Note too that you will also get Axe Power sooner than later, so units using axes primarily can afford to wait instead of getting a damage boosting skill now.

Don't have DLC Expansion, so that's the extent of my knowledge.

Edited by DaveCozy

4 hours ago, DaveCozy said:

I'd say Canter is the best skill to inherit before chapter 10 for any units that are frequently earning EXP on your turn. The utility of being able to move 2 spaces after your action makes it really easy to set up your formation for things like Micaiah staffing and Byleth dancing.

But that said there are other notable skills that you can pick up over Canter if your unit is going to be waiting their actions more, or maybe you value a damage boost sooner instead;

• Vantage - for enemy phase units who want to use a high might smash weapon to hit enemies back with, or want to combo it with Wrath later in the game
  • Unyielding - can help keep a tank healthy and is super cheap to inherit.
  • Just off the top of my head. In general though, Canter is still probably the best inherit for most units, so that's a safe investment if you're not sure on the rest. Note too that you will also get Axe Power sooner than later, so units using axes primarily can afford to wait instead of getting a damage boosting skill now.

Don't have DLC Expansion, so that's the extent of my knowledge.

Thanks! I think this combo might be great for how I use Diamant and Boucheron. 

and if you get the DLC, just FYI, they don’t go away.

So I'm trying on my maddening run Saphir on Halberdier. (I feel this class somewhat covers her weaknesses) Any recommendation how to spend her 2k sp? I know that Canter would be probably no brainer, but I'm thinking I might give her Speedtaker.

49 minutes ago, Speedy said:

So I'm trying on my maddening run Saphir on Halberdier. (I feel this class somewhat covers her weaknesses) Any recommendation how to spend her 2k sp? I know that Canter would be probably no brainer, but I'm thinking I might give her Speedtaker.

Speedtaker is not necessary on a Halberdier. That class is already capable of doubling with their class ability (Pincer Attack) on player phase, regardless of their speed stat. You can set up the requirement to have an ally on the other side of the target using Canter on other units after they perform their action. And it sounds like you do have other units with Canter too.

Eirika or Roy are good emblems for Halberdiers. I would personally recommend going for skills that boost her damage output, like Lance Power or Gentility (for Bravery) if you aren't syncing her with Eirika. Brionac (S rank lance) and Brave Lance highly encouraged to maximize damage.

Edited by DaveCozy

22 minutes ago, DaveCozy said:

Speedtaker is not necessary on a Halberdier. That class is already capable of doubling with their class ability (Pincer Attack) on player phase, regardless of their speed stat. You can set up the requirement to have an ally on the other side of the target using Canter on other units after they perform their action. And it sounds like you do have other units with Canter too.

Eirika or Roy are good emblems for Halberdiers. I would personally recommend going for skills that boost her damage output, like Lance Power or Gentility (for Bravery) if you aren't syncing her with Eirika. Brionac (S rank lance) and Brave Lance highly encouraged to maximize damage.

my main reason for speedtaker really was so she dont get doubled (also I need to get her to lvl 5 first to unlock Pincer 😄 ) I'm not necessarily afraid of her damage output, but her survivibily. I guess I could give her Roy, but Eirika is mainly on my MM Chloé.

Edited by Speedy

1 hour ago, Speedy said:

my main reason for speedtaker really was so she dont get doubled (also I need to get her to lvl 5 first to unlock Pincer 😄 ) I'm not necessarily afraid of her damage output, but her survivibily. I guess I could give her Roy, but Eirika is mainly on my MM Chloé.

It's only 4 level ups to get Pincer Attack. Inheriting Mentorship from Byleth can help with that too.

Who exactly does Eirika work well with? Because it feels weird that Lunar Brace only works with physical attacks, but she boosts magic...

How exactly does Mauvier's AI work in chapter 19? Because I see everything, Marni included, gathering in a big ball around him...