Fire Emblem Engage General Questions Thread

Azz

8 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

So... how the hell do arts calculate damage??? Because I just saw Framme damage an armored knight despite the fact that 23 defense shoulda said lolnope (she was adjacent to Alear, but I expected that to still give me double zeros from her counter). So what's going on here??

Arts use the average of the unit's Str and Mag.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, DefyingFates said:

Arts use the average of the unit's Str and Mag.

I know that much, but that doesn't explain how I could see them damage an armored knight, which has far more defense than I could realistically expect them to penetrate if they attacked defense.

5 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I know that much, but that doesn't explain how I could see them damage an armored knight, which has far more defense than I could realistically expect them to penetrate if they attacked defense.

What were Framme's stats and which Arts were you using?

7 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I'm pretty sure that Alear's skill gives the unit a flat amount of damage independent of the enemy's defenses.

Edited by samthedigital

13 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

What were Framme's stats and which Arts were you using?

17 physical atk with a steel hand art; 9 strength and 15 magic after bond ring and meal modifiers.

2 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

17 physical atk with a steel hand art; 9 strength and 15 magic after bond ring and meal modifiers.

And how much damage she inflicted per hit?

Was the knight poisoned?

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

And how much damage she inflicted per hit?

Was the knight poisoned?

3 (she was adjacent to Alear)

Nope, the knight was not poisoned.

4 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

3 (she was adjacent to Alear)

Nope, the knight was not poisoned.

Then that's it.

Divinely Inspiring is a flat damage addition.

Arts damage calculation is (Str + Mag) / 2. Hence why ((9 + 15) / 2 ) + 5 = 17. Would inflict 0 damage on a 23 Def enemy... but Divinely Inspiring increases damage by 3.

7 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

So... how the hell do arts calculate damage??? Because I just saw Framme damage an armored knight despite the fact that 23 defense shoulda said lolnope (she was adjacent to Alear, but I expected that to still give me double zeros from her counter). So what's going on here??

They do mag + strength ÷2 and are counted as a physical attack. 

12 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Then that's it.

Divinely Inspiring is a flat damage addition.

Arts damage calculation is (Str + Mag) / 2. Hence why ((9 + 15) / 2 ) + 5 = 17. Would inflict 0 damage on a 23 Def enemy... but Divinely Inspiring increases damage by 3.

Huh. And here I thought it worked like Camilla's personal skill (well, it does to an extent, but I don't remember a unit still dealing zero despite benefitting from her personal. Prolly because I generally avoided that). 

Edited by Shadow Mir

On 2/17/2023 at 2:58 AM, DefyingFates said:

What are Ivy's best weapon/ Engraving option to fix her poor Hit? She has an unforged Bolganone with Celica's Engraving right now, and even with its 85 Hit her accuracy is... terrible. Thanks in advance!

Celica's engraving doesn't boost hit, I don't think? That's what Serenes says anyway. I don't believe I'm actually using that on anyone. Anyway there are six different non-DLC engraves which boost hit, so if you are having issues with Ivy hitting things the clear path is to use one. Decide what other stats you want and/or don't want to give up.

Byleth provides both 30 hit and dodge, so that's what I have on her basic tome (an Elfire, which even at +2 weight does not affect her). Bolganone I use for power against slower enemies and/or with supports in range.

Eirika is also a great forge for thunder tomes, since you shouldn't be getting hit with those out anyway. At +40 hit it'll fix basically any issues imaginable.

Is Seraphim the only thing that is effective vs Corrupted (and more particularly, those damn Corrupted Wyrms)?

EDIT: How many units can I take to the last chapter?

Edited by Shadow Mir

46 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Is Seraphim the only thing that is effective vs Corrupted (and more particularly, those damn Corrupted Wyrms)?

EDIT: How many units can I take to the last chapter?

Eirika's Sieglinde is also effective. As well as a certain sword though you won't gain it util the lategame.

Alear and 13 others.

18 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Eirika's Sieglinde is also effective. As well as a certain sword though you won't gain it util the lategame.

Well, that ain't gonna help for a long time (I'm only at the chapter where you get her ring). I am NOT liking their defenses... nor the fact that their attacks ignore my units' defenses. X_X

20 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Alear and 13 others.

Okay then.

10 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Well, that ain't gonna help for a long time (I'm only at the chapter where you get her ring). I am NOT liking their defenses... nor the fact that their attacks ignore my units' defenses. X_X

11 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Use Eirika's Twin Strike to put a serious hurt on them, it's much more effective than most other sorts of damage due to its defence-piercing property.

Beyond that, chain attacks do their usual 10% max HP, so try to set up for those (not for Twin Strike, of course, but for normal attacks). If you're worried about counters you can use Fracture first, although bulkier characters should be able to take one hit.

Hey guys, I'm having problem understanding some skills combination. I wanted to test some mad stuff with Astra Storm and true damage.

Alear personnal skill gives +3 true damage. So why when I use Astra Storm with a character next to Alear, it doesn't do +15 (3*5) damage ? Maybe it had only +3 damage at the end ? But how can it show on the calculation window ? Or maybe it had 0.30*3*5 damage and round it up (or down) ?

Same question for Bravery (Eirika) skill who gives +3 damage. I guess I can't give Astra Storm that much true damage ?

22 minutes ago, CompteSecours said:

Hey guys, I'm having problem understanding some skills combination. I wanted to test some mad stuff with Astra Storm and true damage.

Alear personnal skill gives +3 true damage. So why when I use Astra Storm with a character next to Alear, it doesn't do +15 (3*5) damage ? Maybe it had only +3 damage at the end ? But how can it show on the calculation window ? Or maybe it had 0.30*3*5 damage and round it up (or down) ?

Same question for Bravery (Eirika) skill who gives +3 damage. I guess I can't give Astra Storm that much true damage ?

Divinely Inspiring is added before Astra Storm's 70% damage reduction per hit. Depending on how much damage you normally do, you either get +5 overall or +0.

Incidentally, Luna is factored similarly, so don't expect individual hits to do +15 damage on a Luna proc.

12 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Use Eirika's Twin Strike to put a serious hurt on them, it's much more effective than most other sorts of damage due to its defence-piercing property.

Beyond that, chain attacks do their usual 10% max HP, so try to set up for those (not for Twin Strike, of course, but for normal attacks). If you're worried about counters you can use Fracture first, although bulkier characters should be able to take one hit.

These oughta do the trick. Because thanks to reddit, I know Wyrmslayers DON'T work vs Corrupted Wyrms.

Now then, is there somewhere where I can look up reinforcements? Because the wiki has next to nothing. Chapter data wise.

Also, do enemies use engage attacks over anything else, or will they attack normally if someone is in range?

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Also, do enemies use engage attacks over anything else, or will they attack normally if someone is in range?

I distinctly remember Sigurd doing a normal attack against me in his paralogue when I was attempting an Override bait into a Backup-filled hole he can't Canter out of. Don't remember -why-, but instinct tells me he tried to swing with a Brave Lance that time since it'd do more damage.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

These oughta do the trick. Because thanks to reddit, I know Wyrmslayers DON'T work vs Corrupted Wyrms.

Now then, is there somewhere where I can look up reinforcements? Because the wiki has next to nothing. Chapter data wise.

It's worth keeping in mind that there are some maps with non-corrupted wyrms (basically identical to the fell ones, except white!) and they are weak to dragon-slaying effects. So yay, the resources I spent forging a Wyrmslayer before Chapter 16 were only mostly wasted!

Haven't seen reinforcement data yet but I haven't looked too hard. At least they're mostly of the non-ambush-spawn variety, so I don't find knowing them in advance as necessary, but it'd still be nice to have that information available. I'm sure one of the wikis will add it eventually.

For the last question I have the same experience as @Technoweirdo. They certainly can use engage attacks but they have the option of using normal attacks too, just like you. I assume the decision is based on usual AI concerns - engage attacks will often outdamage normal attacks so they'll usually use those if able, but there are circumstances where they won't (such as the Sigurd Brave Lance example).

7 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I remember on Ch10 Hyacinth kept making clones after I killed all four while engaged even though he could had a Killer Bow equipped and I had vulnerable units close to him. 

Does anyone know how to rig cooking grades? I'm trying to get all the achievements and cooking has been giving me the hardest time. I've yet to get SS rank despite having Bunet cook for me several times (and he's one of two units that can get SS) and surprisingly I'm struggling to get F rank meals. Anyone know of a way to improve ranks or is it completely random?

15 minutes ago, Azz said:

Does anyone know how to rig cooking grades? I'm trying to get all the achievements and cooking has been giving me the hardest time. I've yet to get SS rank despite having Bunet cook for me several times (and he's one of two units that can get SS) and surprisingly I'm struggling to get F rank meals. Anyone know of a way to improve ranks or is it completely random?

I think there is a random component when you use extra ingredients or not. Other than that, it depends if they are proficient making the meal (indicating by the sparkles on the menu), and probably too if the characters like it or not.

So after rigging who is cooking by sleeping, check what foods they are good at making, then check if there's a pair of character who both like it. That should help in ensuring you get a high or low rank.