Fire Emblem Engage General Questions Thread

Azz

44 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

What exactly is true damage?? I've seen it mentioned on this board, but have no clue.

I believe true damage is essentially damage that is no affected by stats and is damage added on to a unit's attack after all the calcs have been done. I.E. Alear's personal adds 3 true damage to a unit's attack because it is not affected by the enemy units def/res so a unit adjacent to Alear will always deal 3 damage.

I believe it was a term that was coined by the FE Heroes community which naturally made its way to Engage

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct. True damage is added on top of already calculated damage. Meaning that, even if the enemy has 100 defense or 100 resistance (just as an exaggerated e.g.), true damage will be considered after the damage calculation and still deal damage to that unit.

Chain Attacks are also considered true damage, because regardless of enemy or the chain attackers stats, they will hit for 10% of the enemy's HP stat.

Edited by DaveCozy

Has anyone else noticed that enemies on Normal mode have less hit than they should? I first saw it in Chapter 26, when I realised everyone had 10 less hit than they should according to the stats on Serenes, and just now I've checked Lyn's paralogue, and enemies there seem to have 20 less than they should. Is this a known thing? Are there other hit manipulations going on in the higher difficulties?

4 minutes ago, Seafarer said:

Has anyone else noticed that enemies on Normal mode have less hit than they should? I first saw it in Chapter 26, when I realised everyone had 10 less hit than they should according to the stats on Serenes, and just now I've checked Lyn's paralogue, and enemies there seem to have 20 less than they should. Is this a known thing? Are there other hit manipulations going on in the higher difficulties?

Yeah all enemies on normal have a hidden skill that reduces hit/avo by 10 I believe

EDIT: Yes, just checked and yeah basically what I already said, every enemy on normal essentially has a hidden skill 'Hit/Avo -10' tho some also have -20.

Edited by Azz

12 minutes ago, Azz said:

Yeah all enemies on normal have a hidden skill that reduces hit/avo by 10 I believe

EDIT: Yes, just checked and yeah basically what I already said, every enemy on normal essentially has a hidden skill 'Hit/Avo -10' tho some also have -20.

Cool, thanks. Do they get Hit/Avo bonuses on Maddening, like in New Mystery Lunatic? Or is it just a Normal mode thing?

4 minutes ago, Seafarer said:

Cool, thanks. Do they get Hit/Avo bonuses on Maddening, like in New Mystery Lunatic? Or is it just a Normal mode thing?

No it's just a normal mode thing. Tho on maddening, some promoted enemies do have have enemy only skills depending on the class. For example, Heroes get Triangle Adept and Griffin Knights get Darting Blow. There are also the other enemy only skills like Veteran and Unbreakable etc., some of which Hard also has

Question about Sigurd's paralogue:

Did I miss anything by not taking out the two high leveled sages other than battle experience?

I tried to beat the below one, but then Sigurd moved (because first castle boss) was defeated and I needed everyone to take him out.

Ivy was the only one who had a chance to beat him in two hits, but the sage had a decent critchance against her.

In general this chapter was kinda weird because after seizing the first castle, a bunch of enemies appeared but they had no point because Sigurd started to move on its own, so they couldn't be attacked.

5 minutes ago, I Am Cute said:

Question about Sigurd's paralogue:

Did I miss anything by not taking out the two high leveled sages other than battle experience?

I tried to beat the below one, but then Sigurd moved (because first castle boss) was defeated and I needed everyone to take him out.

Ivy was the only one who had a chance to beat him in two hits, but the sage had a decent critchance against her.

In general this chapter was kinda weird because after seizing the first castle, a bunch of enemies appeared but they had no point because Sigurd started to move on its own, so they couldn't be attacked.

Not really; in particular, the capped one with 4 life bars represents Julius... so yeah.

According to the OP of this GameFAQs post, the different ripples when fishing grow at different speeds depending on what fish they represent. Does anyone know which fish have the fastest ripples and which have the slowest, please? I'm trying to farm bond fragments in the afternoon (i.e. using Bisot and Enchan Tunas). Thank you as always!

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/380177-fire-emblem-engage/80342764

20 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Is there any reason to go above donation level 2 (which is for adoption purposes)? I know there are rewards for doing so, but...

I maxed Brodia's donation level recently, then immediately save-scummed out of it because I was underwhelmed by what I got. The only rewards to really care about beyond Lv 2 are the S-rank weapons you get at Lv 5, which are the only rewards exclusive to donations (you're pretty much soft-capped to 1 per run). And maybe the extra metals in Brodia, although I doubt it'll make a massive difference long-term. As far as the S-rank weapons are concerned, I've just looked and SF has them listed. They look cool, particularly the Firene one, but I don't think I'd pay 85,000G (cost of donation Lv 3-5) for them, which is enough money to forge up primary weapons for at least a few of your A-team. 

EDIT: Some of the costumes are cool though, if you care about that kind of thing.

Edited by haarhaarhaar

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Is there any reason to go above donation level 2 (which is for adoption purposes)? I know there are rewards for doing so, but...

During the main story there's no real reason to go above Donation level 1 (5,000g max) since that's all you need to adopt all the animals in their respective region. Money is simply too hard to come by especially when taking Maddening into account which has almost no skirmishes, and thus you really don't benefit from skirmishes getting buffed.

Only bother going higher if you're doing endgame grinding.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

It's likely not worth it on the higher difficulties, but maxing out Elusia gives you a Staff that refills everyone's Engage gauges. Only downside is that it has a single use... but that's where Hortensia's World Tree skill comes in handy. Which, again, if you can't just Rewind as you wish to proc it as many times as you need, then it's not worth it.

21 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Only downside is that it has a single use...

Yeah, I know staves have fixed durability, but I wish that one could have been single use per battle instead...

---

I probably just overlooked this, but are Body Rings (or an equivalent) in Engage to boost Bld? I only noticed yesterday that one of my main units has a 0% growth rate in Bld (even with their personal and class' stats combined). Thanks in advance, all!

9 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Yeah, I know staves have fixed durability, but I wish that one could have been single use per battle instead...

That would've been better, yeah.

Overall, why staffs still had to have durability is... kinda weird, I think.

44 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I probably just overlooked this, but are Body Rings (or an equivalent) in Engage to boost Bld? I only noticed yesterday that one of my main units has a 0% growth rate in Bld (even with their personal and class' stats combined). Thanks in advance, all!

Nope. The best you can get is inheriting build+ from Leif. Honestly, them not being in the game is a missed opportunity considering the last time build increasing items were in a FE game, they were borderline worthless. 

Edited by Shadow Mir

22 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's likely not worth it on the higher difficulties, but maxing out Elusia gives you a Staff that refills everyone's Engage gauges. Only downside is that it has a single use... but that's where Hortensia's World Tree skill comes in handy. Which, again, if you can't just Rewind as you wish to proc it as many times as you need, then it's not worth it.

yeah Nodus isn't really worth it for the main story. It's meant moreso as a Tower tool if I had to guess, because your equipment gets restored after a trial is done (ditto with deaths, which aren't permanent under Tower of Trials).

I don't think it's worth donating beyond level 2 at all either, not until post-game anyways. The amount of gold it costs gets too expensive, and you could be using that to refine weapons instead, which make a much more meaningful contribution to your combat.

Edited by DaveCozy

9 minutes ago, DaveCozy said:

yeah Nodus isn't really worth it for the main story. It's meant moreso as a Tower tool if I had to guess, because your equipment gets restored after a trial is done (ditto with deaths, which aren't permanent under Tower of Trials).

Perhaps only by the late chapters. Considering Hortensia's Dex cap is 36. So 36% to proc World Tree before any other boosts. Which is... not that bad, but it really needs Rewind to ensure you can use it several times a chapter. Then again, you're unlikely to need it more than twice or thrice per map anyway.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Is Soren's Reflect staff original to this game, or was it in FEH? 

EDIT: What is the best use for Celica's engraving?

Edited by Shadow Mir

5 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Is Soren's Reflect staff original to this game, or was it in FEH? 

EDIT: What is the best use for Celica's engraving?

I've only ever found one niche use for the Celica engraving, by putting it on an unforged fist weapon for Alear so they can 0x4 enemies for a free Engage. Lower damage so she doesn't kill anyone before the 4 hits plus counter attack go off. Pretty helpful to be able to get Byleth back on demand if the situation calls for it.

2 minutes ago, CompteSecours said:

Hello guys.

Is there a guide concerning donations on Maddening/No DLC ? When to donate, who to donate and which level ?

For now I plan to do Firene lvl2 and Brodia lvl 3. Generally I'm very short on money juste before Chapter 14 then it's all good.

I'd say every country to level 2. Brodia, you might be able to go to 3 in, but...

4 minutes ago, CompteSecours said:

Hello guys.

Is there a guide concerning donations on Maddening/No DLC ? When to donate, who to donate and which level ?

For now I plan to do Firene lvl2 and Brodia lvl 3. Generally I'm very short on money juste before Chapter 14 then it's all good.

That plan or just going to 3 for Brodia asap and leaving the rest at 1 works. If you are in need of money you can sell a lot of iron and steel weapons that will never see use after the early game.