70 members have voted

1. 1. What's your difficulty?

• Normal/Casual
    • Normal/Classic
    • Hard/Casual
    • Hard/Classic
    • Maddening/Casual
    • Maddening/Classic

Am currently playing on normal/classic for a first run but I think for my next run I'll go up to maddening and see how I go. From what I've been hearing, maddening seems quite fun compared to TH.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Azz said:

From what I've been hearing, maddening seems quite fun compared to TH.

I really enjoyed Three Houses Maddening. I did Golden Deer and Blue Lions and thought it was great fun. Are you referring to the ambush spawn? They can be quite furstrating. I hear Engage doesn't have them.

11 minutes ago, Taho said:

I really enjoyed Three Houses Maddening. I did Golden Deer and Blue Lions and thought it was great fun. Are you referring to the ambush spawn? They can be quite furstrating. I hear Engage doesn't have them.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of ambush spawns. As well as that, the early game felt very tedious whereas engage doesn't seem to be as much based on what I've heard and seen.

Hard/Classic, even if I do reset/Time Crystal every time someone dies/I screw up.

I’m up to Chapter 8, and so far the only major challenges have been Chapter 5 (I made a bunch of stupid errors and had to reset a few times before Louis+Sigurd Engage solve the thief issue) and getting exp for Alear (she feels underleveled and a bit slow, even though she’s at the recommended level for most chapters - also a bit weak, but I just upgraded her sword to fix that). 8 reminds me of Unhappy Reunion though, and I remember having trouble with that.

3 hours ago, ILikeKirbys said:

8 reminds me of Unhappy Reunion though, and I remember having trouble with that.

Cool ! I love Reunion at dawn (the Maddening blue lion version was particularly interesting, especially with a benched Ashe). Chapter 8 is coming up soon, I'll be looking forward to it!

3 hours ago, ILikeKirbys said:

8 reminds me of Unhappy Reunion though, and I remember having trouble with that.

I feel compelled to update after complaining about Hard/Classic difficulty (around ch.7). Chapter 8 was exactly what I hoped for: diverse objectives, unpredictability, tough enemies... Admittedly handicapped myself bringing lvl 1 Jean, but I didn't expect to reset as many times as I did (the first run I ran out of rewinds just one hit before I could K.O. the boss, and she killed my unprotected Jean, so I had to restard the whole map...)

Hope we keep getting more of this chaos!!

6 hours ago, ILikeKirbys said:

Hard/Classic, even if I do reset/Time Crystal every time someone dies/I screw up.

I’m up to Chapter 8, and so far the only major challenges have been Chapter 5 (I made a bunch of stupid errors and had to reset a few times before Louis+Sigurd Engage solve the thief issue) and getting exp for Alear (she feels underleveled and a bit slow, even though she’s at the recommended level for most chapters - also a bit weak, but I just upgraded her sword to fix that). 8 reminds me of Unhappy Reunion though, and I remember having trouble with that.

Give Alear Marth's sword and evasion skills and they'll turn into an untouchable beast. Despite not having the raw power, Alear is my best unit on pure survivability, and raw power can be made up for with Engage skills.

22 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

I´ll be honest, I´ve been so strapped for deployment slots and the dmg from player units still feels so low that using Jean looked... unlikely. I don´t think I´ve ever used Body Arts so far. And with Micaiah bringing the big heals... yeah he´s comfy on the bench.

I forged Jean's scroll ASAP and had him steal kills.  The scroll is also useful for breaking thieves.  Thieves annoy me.  And for good measure, I slapped Micaiah on Jean.  As a result, he's one of my strongest characters.  I put him on the bench to give another staffbot a chance to shine.

18 hours ago, Usana said:

I haven't started yet either but will probably go with Hard/Classic unless people keep mentioning Hard getting too easy.

But first I must finish out some more of my backlog. I need to clear Trails from Zero yet. I am thinking of trying to slot Engage in inbetween the finishing of Zero and the release of Azure but if it takes me too far into February to finish Zero(I am hoping to finish by my Birthday 2/2, but those games take forever so even if I am on the second to last chapter. . . ), I may want to hold off since I have a bad habit of not getting back into Fire Emblem games if I get interrupted mid-play through(never did finish all of the routes in Fates/3Houses because of that). And I worry this one will be worse for that than previous entries since the art style really does NOT engage me at all. I am hoping it will grow on me once I start playing, wouldn't be the first time I disliked a game's character designs at first but came to at least accept them later. Anyways I do have the Divine Edition sitting around for whenever I get to it.

Zero's ending really stretches out, so good luck finishing it in time for Azure.

I'm in the "love the game despite the aesthetics" club.  I'm thinking so hard that I don't have time to get mad at the character designs.  Much of it is my fault for trying to be aggressive in a game that wants me to turtle.

5 hours ago, eclipse said:

I'm in the "love the game despite the aesthetics" club.  I'm thinking so hard that I don't have time to get mad at the character designs.  Much of it is my fault for trying to be aggressive in a game that wants me to turtle.

I'm in the same boat. I'm a bit of an older fan now, so in terms of gameplay I'm really pleased so far. So much so that I quite my Hard/Classic run after 8 chapters just to re-start on Maddening/Classic. It's the most fun I've had on FE for years.

The character design however... well to put it politely it makes me sick. That's about as nice as I can be about it.

7 hours ago, eclipse said:

I forged Jean's scroll ASAP and had him steal kills.  The scroll is also useful for breaking thieves.  Thieves annoy me.  And for good measure, I slapped Micaiah on Jean.  As a result, he's one of my strongest characters.  I put him on the bench to give another staffbot a chance to shine.

Zero's ending really stretches out, so good luck finishing it in time for Azure.

He hasn't turned out great for me yet, but he strikes me as a particularly well designed Est archtype. Not only do you get him early in the game, but the fact that he's a healer means you can level him up without necessarily having him see much combat until he's had the levels to make him viable.

Hard/Classic, the first FE I didn't start on normal mode, and I'm starting to regret it.

I've gotten used to FE being easy enough to make some fun builds, but hard mode apparently isn't the place to build a mage Alear, ban horseback and armored units, and feed kills to Framme to make her a killing machine. I mean, having Framme as a delete button is nice, but she's healing every turn and can't take hits herself (like all of my units)...

Hard / Classic as usual, finished chapter 13.

Doing no skirmishes, I'm very happy with the difficulty level. It's at the perfect spot where I often need to think about what I'm doing and sometime use time resets without being frustrating. It feels a tiny bit harder than Conquest Hard, but with time rewinds available. I'm having a great time and I love how it's still a challenge despite having a ton of ultra-powerful skills at my disposal.

The bosses actually being mobile (very mobile in some cases) is probably the biggest reason why.

Just beat chapters 8 and 9, and I'm getting a bit unhappy with the lack of challenge in Hard mode... Both chapters felt like I just had to move forward and destroy everything in my path, then bait Ivy and go to town on her in 1 turn. But I don't know if I want to start again in Maddening, cause some of my units turned out really great... Dilemma, dilemma, dilemma. 

On 1/21/2023 at 9:50 PM, bookwormbabe29 said:

I have not started YET, but I think I might go with normal mode. I would normally start on hard, but I want to test out a lot of characters my first run, and that will likely take grinding. And since grinding is well, harder on hard and maddening, I am thinking normal mode would be the best first run to go wild and test things out. I fear it will be too easy, though I guess there's only one way to find out. I get to pick it up tomorrow (finally!) so wish me luck 😉

Same.

On a first run through I want to do everything and try out classes and grind out supports and costumes and etc etc. 

I'll do a challenge run later, no need to make the first one annoying trying to do everything. 

8 hours ago, Taho said:

Just beat chapters 8 and 9, and I'm getting a bit unhappy with the lack of challenge in Hard mode... Both chapters felt like I just had to move forward and destroy everything in my path, then bait Ivy and go to town on her in 1 turn. But I don't know if I want to start again in Maddening, cause some of my units turned out really great... Dilemma, dilemma, dilemma. 

The difficulty tends to spike on Hard.  That is, it'll feel easy for a bit and then you get a curveball out of nowhere.  Though if you really want to gauge yourself versus the difficulty, queue up some skirmishes.

I see the most unpopular difficulty is Casual Maddening. Which I admit is a pretty lol concept. I'd still be resetting and time rewinding a lot on that difficulty as its more failing sub tasks than characters deaths that have me rethink a level.

Started on Hard Classic, but dropped to Normal Classic as the game won’t let you drop from Classic to Casual.

The first like 7 missions were amazing with great balancing, but after a point skirmishes became unbelievably hard whereas the main missions became way too easy (skirmishes are fun), so I dropped the difficulty to be able to use all my previously benched units instead (even on Normal, if you’re underleveled, it’s not easy).

From what I can tell, even if you beeline the campaign after chapter 11, the balancing is all over the place between the paralogues and the main missions. Which is too bad because it started great.

From my own subjective impressions, I’d say that bar potential grinding, Normal sits between 3H Normal and Hard modes, and Hard sits between 3H Hard and Maddening mode. In other words, Normal can still be seen as the Easy mode, but isn’t as braindead as in 3H, and Hard, while arguably the Normal mode for veterans, actually puts up a good deal of challenge (if you don’t do skirmishes) even if some missions are weirdly easier.

Edited by TheHBK

1 hour ago, TheHBK said:

Started on Hard Classic, but dropped to Normal Classic as the game won’t let you drop from Classic to Casual.

The first like 7 missions were amazing with great balancing, but after a point skirmishes became unbelievably hard whereas the main missions became way too easy (skirmishes are fun), so I dropped the difficulty to be able to use all my previously benched units instead (even on Normal, if you’re underleveled, it’s not easy).

From what I can tell, even if you beeline the campaign after chapter 11, the balancing is all over the place between the paralogues and the main missions. Which is too bad because it started great.

From my own subjective impressions, I’d say that bar potential grinding, Normal sits between 3H Normal and Hard modes, and Hard sits between 3H Hard and Maddening mode. In other words, Normal can still be seen as the Easy mode, but isn’t as braindead as in 3H, and Hard, while arguably the Normal mode for veterans, actually puts up a good deal of challenge (if you don’t do skirmishes) even if some missions are weirdly easier.

That just sounds like you've overlevelled on skirmishes, making the main plot too easy, while skirmishes maintain their difficulty as they're probably scaled to your average level.

I've played two skirmishes and two paralogues... I try to limit my skirmishes so I don't get too OP on purpose. So far, it hasn't worked.

The last skirmish I did was a little more interesting than chapters 8 and 9, but I wouldn't call it challenging... And with the truckload of emblems I picked up, it's just getting easier, because it just gives you so many options to choose from. I find myself not engaging for 90% of the map and then going all out on the boss, only to realise I have too much fire power and warp ragnarok/Lodestar rush the last troops still hanging back, just because I can...

NGL, part of me is regretting choosing Hard/Classic. I've only had about 30-45 minutes per day this week to play, which means that I can't get through a level without someone dying in that time. Usually, I'll end up getting halfway through a level and then having to restart it the next day. It's a frustrating feeling, not having anything to show for the time spent. But that's Fire Emblem. Depending on how NG+ works, if there is any (which I don't think there is), I may actually go down to Normal/Classic for my next playthrough so I can focus on unit builds and support grinding. 

I went for Hard/Classic. First time I've decided to jump straight to Hard, and I'm glad I did. I actually have to really think about where I'm gonna place a unit and when i should launch an attack versus simply waiting to be attacked instead. I'm on Chapter 7 and it's been great fun so far.

Well Finished Zero over the weekend and jumped into Engage. And I did Hard/Classic as planned. For the most part it had been fine up until now. Bosses kinda annoying since they can one shot any non-frontliners and that double health bar with no stun after being depleted once can be rather rough.

But the other day I had unlocked Tiki's Paralogue and figured I would do it today after work. I don't know who designed that map but they are an absolute freaking sadist. 47 TURNS and even with only the occasional restart due to undo a positioning mistake because I dumbed and forgot my plan(I did have to make my supper/etc while trying to play) it still kept me up way too late. I should have been to bed over an hour ago but I just wanted to finish 1 map! I burned through 2 heal staves, most of the Mend Staff, and a couple full vulnerary items. I am not sure how many enemies there were total, but the whole freaking team that went in went from level 6/7 to lvl 8/9/10.  Except Jean he went from like lvl 2/3 to just under level 8. Final couple turns took a lot of careful thought and I wouldn't have minded if that was the map. It was the dang near endless reinforcements that just dragged the map on and on and on and on and on and I think you get the idea.

Anyways hopefully the absolutely dumb amount of enemies it threw at me doesn't bork the balance of the regular maps. I guess after work tomorrow I'll go collect Anna and then start on my way back into the story.

8 hours ago, Usana said:

Well Finished Zero over the weekend and jumped into Engage. And I did Hard/Classic as planned. For the most part it had been fine up until now. Bosses kinda annoying since they can one shot any non-frontliners and that double health bar with no stun after being depleted once can be rather rough.

But the other day I had unlocked Tiki's Paralogue and figured I would do it today after work. I don't know who designed that map but they are an absolute freaking sadist. 47 TURNS and even with only the occasional restart due to undo a positioning mistake because I dumbed and forgot my plan(I did have to make my supper/etc while trying to play) it still kept me up way too late. I should have been to bed over an hour ago but I just wanted to finish 1 map! I burned through 2 heal staves, most of the Mend Staff, and a couple full vulnerary items. I am not sure how many enemies there were total, but the whole freaking team that went in went from level 6/7 to lvl 8/9/10.  Except Jean he went from like lvl 2/3 to just under level 8. Final couple turns took a lot of careful thought and I wouldn't have minded if that was the map. It was the dang near endless reinforcements that just dragged the map on and on and on and on and on and I think you get the idea.

Anyways hopefully the absolutely dumb amount of enemies it threw at me doesn't bork the balance of the regular maps. I guess after work tomorrow I'll go collect Anna and then start on my way back into the story.

Between enemy quantity and enemy quality the game strikes an odd...I hesitate to say balance, because it's kind of the opposite. Games seem to gravitate towards having a lot of weak enemies vs a few strong enemies. Some of the paralogues especially in this game throw a tonne of strong enemies at you. Enemies that could destroy your weaker units. But, to fight that, you can turn your units into untouchable dodge tanks and crit tanks and use freeze and obstruct and drgaon veins to stem the tide. It does turn some chapters into a massive slog. Lyn's paralogue is probably the worst designed of the ones I've played, with a massive number of longbow cavalry that you can't enemy phase that crowd up on you at a choke point.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Lyn's paralogue is probably the worst designed of the ones I've played, with a massive number of longbow cavalry that you can't enemy phase that crowd up on you at a choke point.

On hard I enemy phased big parts of it without too much trouble - there were some important things for this strategy to succeed(Louis been able to kill mages with spear on retaliation before getting doubled for example). Still main thing was choke point control and making sure that they can't swarm you. The map played really well. Don't forget that paralogs don't scale with your progress so it is a good think that they are really tough as there is always an option to outlevel them.