Hardest Map Thus Far

Xylaugheon Daily

So I'm someone who jumped into the deep end with knowing how to swim. Maddening Classic, Ironman up until Chapter 8. I technically beat the map, at the cost of my strongest units and a handful of others. The offensive pressure in this map makes it impossible to take your time. Honestly I think this one should have been better as a Defend Map. I'm not sure if Ivy will eventually pursue, but I have had to enter her threat range to get her to come to me, something that also requires me to be surrounded by many other units, as the endless army of flying units make their way 

Anyhow, I'm determined to do it, even if I have certainly not been playing optimally (didn't realize growth were fixed, spread my EXP thin, training units who aren't exactly viable under these conditions, etc.)

What map has really been giving it to you and what strategies have to come up with to overcome these challenges?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am lunatic as well. Playing through and I want to use certain units, but they are so weak it is hard to spoon feed them cause they do so little damage and are so frail. I'm on chapter 5 and it seems easier to just kill if i can kill right away with a stronger unit. I chose classic, but I'm bad cause every time someone dies i use the time crystal >.< Or i reset the battle. I tell my self this time is the last, but it isn't XD. I did make it through and got pretty far, but then the boss moved and i guess the time crystal isn't infinite or it stops working when boss moves, idk, but the bastard killed one of my units and i refused to accept reality.

It was a pretty good run up till then though, my general basically kept up the rear and was a beast, single handedly stopping quite a few units from being exceedingly troublesome.

For me Brodia castle was the most challenging so far, but mostly because of Ivy. I was incentivised to deploy my units on the flanks because that's were most enemies and Ivy's retainers tried storming through. But Ivy then flew in from the center, rendering my units too far away to surround and kill her, while her high movement meant that if she didn't die that turn, she'd fly to one of my units and kill them the next turn. 

4 hours ago, ZSSenpai said:

The Tiki paralogue is head and shoulders above all of the other maps I've played personally (maddening/classic).  That thing is nuts.  Nothing in the mainline story has even come close to it.

Playing on the same setting. I took one look at that paralogue and noped out. Did you finish it? Any tips? 

5 hours ago, ZSSenpai said:

The Tiki paralogue is head and shoulders above all of the other maps I've played personally (maddening/classic).  That thing is nuts.  Nothing in the mainline story has even come close to it.

1 hour ago, Xylaugheon Daily said:

Playing on the same setting. I took one look at that paralogue and noped out. Did you finish it? Any tips? 

Oh my God. Now I want the lowdown.

The Chapter 17 map has been my hardest so far taking me about 2 hours to complete with analyzing ever single move I needed to make.

Spoiler

I'm not sure if its maddening specific, but all the commanders end up moving towards you, on top of the Wyrm units threatening to one shot anyone below ~39 HP. It took a lot of thinking and abusing Corrin Ice walls and Lyn doubles to buy time.

I completed the Tiki paralogue after chapter 8? (When you finish recruiting Brodia characters/emblems) but had to restart the map once

Spoiler

There are endless dragon spawns at some point (either after opening the first gate or at some turn count). Promoted Alcryst is invaluable here for meeting stat thresholds to one shot the dragons. Overall the map punishes you hard for moving too slow and Louis can potentially be 1-shotted by the dragons unless you give him the early seraph robe (+hp) or have dedicated chain guards.

Playing on Maddening, and I'm currently on Chapter 11.

Hardest for me was Chapter 5, only map I've had to restart so far.

Spoiler

It's your first time dealing with a boss with multiple HP bars and the guy has super high stats; he one rounds most of your units. You also don't have 3 range weaponry yet, and the UI for revival crystals is really small if you aren't looking for it. By the time I got the tutorial prompt that the boss had multiple HP bars, it was too late, and I had frivolously spent my time crystal charges on small mistakes earlier in the map. I do wonder if the map would've been easier if I had gone into the throne room from the NW wall instead of the southern door.

Second hardest was Chapter 10, avoided a restart but did use all my time crystal (in part due to stupid mistakes on my part, and at one point Alear just really wanted to die from a 4% critical).

Spoiler

I thought I was so clever putting Sigurd on Chloé to delete the fire orb mage then Canter to safety. However, when you do that Hortensia just takes over in addition to using her Freeze stave. With her high speed and mobility, Hortensia creates a zone of death around the middle of the map. If leaving the siege mage be keeps her stationary, then that was a blunder on my part. Didn't have a great time against Morion and Hyacinth, but not nowhere near as bad as siege Hortensia + Goldmary's crew. At one point Alcryst demonstrated an ability to tank that I did not expect.

I guess next hardest is actually a notable step down, Chapter 11.

Spoiler

Without time crystal, had a very rough start with the RNG my first couple of attempts. Luckily that happened within the first couple of turns, so not much time wasted. My victorious attempt was actually pretty smooth.

I'm also annoyed that starting Chapter 12 promotion items are still limited. I'm over this slow piecemeal process of promoting my units.

1 hour ago, FashionEmblem said:

Agree! Hardest so far! (Only beat 7). So many enemies, and most likely you'll want to spread your team in 2, which always makes things more difficult since you don't have your whole repertoire anyway. In my playthrough, it was Clanne+Micaiah who saved the day with that teleport, since he could switch team at will.

I absolutely found Tiki’s paralogue to be tough!!! So many dragons that ignore def/res and I only had Alcryst to snipe everyone.

In the main story, I would say Timerra’s chapter cus of the many wolf knights with insane spd and atk (on maddening). I just finished it and had to use all my time warps lol 

Playing on Maddening, and I'm currently on Chapter 11.

Hide contents

It's your first time dealing with a boss with multiple HP bars and the guy has super high stats; he one rounds most of your units. You also don't have 3 range weaponry yet, and the UI for revival crystals is really small if you aren't looking for it. By the time I got the tutorial prompt that the boss had multiple HP bars, it was too late, and I had frivolously spent my time crystal charges on small mistakes earlier in the map. I do wonder if the map would've been easier if I had gone into the throne room from the NW wall instead of the southern door.

I feel you. This map was hard (and I'm just playing on hard). A problem is I usually just go without thinking too much, and then I'm in a bad situation, ahah.

Spoiler

I lost a lot of time because my first strategy was to go through the south, and then I saw the thief on the left. I tried too hard to split midway, and didn't really thought my split. So....lot of damages ahah. When I restart from the start, I better divide my force, with just a few units after the thief. And it was really okay.

Second hardest was Chapter 10, avoided a restart but did use all my time crystal (in part due to stupid mistakes on my part, and at one point Alear just really wanted to die from a 4% critical).

Hide contents

I thought I was so clever putting Sigurd on Chloé to delete the fire orb mage then Canter to safety. However, when you do that Hortensia just takes over in addition to using her Freeze stave. With her high speed and mobility, Hortensia creates a zone of death around the middle of the map. If leaving the siege mage be keeps her stationary, then that was a blunder on my part. Didn't have a great time against Morion and Hyacinth, but not nowhere near as bad as siege Hortensia + Goldmary's crew. At one point Alcryst demonstrated an ability to tank that I did not expect.

This one too, ahah! So difficult, lot of time crystal used.

Spoiler

As you say, the middle zone is really hard, for low resistance units, and also the other unit, because of the Byleth Emblem. I remembered, after being killed, that Luin was effective against Dragon...Alear Dragon, ahah. It was really difficult, and I bumped into Goldmary, had to gangkill her carefuly, and then Hortensia. Rosado was not even a problem (I think I killed them easily). Morion was ok, and Hyacynth I did take some time to think (because I was bored of being not careful enough earlier in the map) and I manage to kill him without casualties.

I guess next hardest is actually a notable step down, Chapter 11.

Hide contents

Without time crystal, had a very rough start with the RNG my first couple of attempts. Luckily that happened within the first couple of turns, so not much time wasted. My victorious attempt was actually pretty smooth.

I'm also annoyed that starting Chapter 12 promotion items are still limited. I'm over this slow piecemeal process of promoting my units.

This one was the hardest I guess.

Spoiler

Without the time crystal, I wasn't allowed any error. And I made a lot actually. I was really stressed, always being annoyed by the freeze staff user, and all the unit coming at you (especially Sigurd). But, after some loose, I took my time, and it was almost easy. I did manage to defend my unit by staying more packed, and even succeed in killing the staff user early, relieving me that stress! 

Lyn's Paralogue was the first battle I had to actually restart and try again

Spoiler

Since she suddenly decided to move and a million bow knights spawned near her while my team was spread all over the place.

Even on second try I ran into the same problem. Was able to squeeze the Bow knights with body blocking on the bridge north of her though and prevent them from running all over my team. Finally, Lucina's shield helped a lot to survive the enemy phase when Lyn was in range.

On 1/22/2023 at 7:29 AM, Xylaugheon Daily said:

I'm not sure if Ivy will eventually pursue,

Yah, along with spawning units to the left and right stairs.

I´m only up to chapter 11 and so far most maps have been a case of "How´d I survive?" Went against Hyacinth with 7 Dragon Crystals and left with 0 and questions about enemy AI. He had the initial healer girl 2hko with his copies not even counted and he choose Alfred who barely survived.

As for 11... I dread crits.

On 1/22/2023 at 1:29 AM, Xylaugheon Daily said:

I'm not sure if Ivy will eventually pursue, but I have had to enter her threat range to get her to come to me, something that also requires me to be surrounded by many other units, as the endless army of flying units make their way 

Something I'm very, very glad I did before starting the first Brodia maps was having an early promoted Chloé into Griffin Knight. I used my first master seal from Anna's paralogue on her, and no regrets at all.

Chapters 7, 8 and 9 are all "defeat commander" objectives, and all of them have flying tome wielding bosses! She was an absolute lifesaver in baiting the bosses and clearing those maps quick.

For Chapter 8 specifically, there's a wall right below the ballista which only fliers can move on. The center tile of that wall is just on Ivy's tome range. That's exactly where I parked Chloé for an easy bait, forcing Ivy to use her tome instead of Leif's other weapons. Alcryst and Etie did wonders to weaken her with Ballista and Long Bow from there.

I frankly saw no other way to get through this map quickly without a flier (do you even get 2nd seals from the shop this early?). Those constant reinforcements are brutal.

--

I'd say personally that chapter 3, 5 and 11 on Maddening have been the hardest by far. 11 probably takes the cake if I had to choose only one though; freeze is a very mean status effect...

Edited by DaveCozy

35 minutes ago, DaveCozy said:

(do you even get 2nd seals from the shop this early?)

IIRC... Nope. It was AFTER this one the shop gets them (albeit limited). And infinite tonics.

Thus far on normal mode (just finished chapter 13), Lyn's paralogue was by far the hardest. Had to use the time crystal multiple times cause Vander kept dying. It was also by far the level with most enemy density. It probably didn't help that my units may not be the strongest.

Am doing Ike's paralogue next which I've heard is quite hard so we shall see if Lyn's paralogue is dethroned.

EDIT: Yep, can confirm Ike's is harder lol

Edited by Azz

Playing Normal/Casual and Chapter 15 was definitely the hardest so far. It's the only chapter that I've had to restart/use the Dragonic Time Crystal for. I haven't done any training or skirmishes and I've only done the Paralogues where you recruit Jean and Anna so my units are almost certainly underleveled. I might go do some skirmishes before I do Chapter 16 but honestly they break immersion for me which is why I haven't been doing them. I've also heard that they scale with your level so I'm not sure how good they are for grinding but I guess I'll see.

Timerra's join chapter has a pretty bizarre difficulty spike with the vast majority of enemies suddenly all having silver weapons, tons of damage and a not inconsiderable crit rate. Also there are two wolf knights with tons of HP, who do a lot of damage, poison your units, have high mobility and can attack from a distance. 

Micaiah's paralogue is definitely up there. The number of units assaulting you is obscene, which also perfectly tickled my RD nostalgia.

Spoiler

Radiant Dawn's 3-13 map, but you have to actually kill Micaiah and can't stall out the turn timer like in RD. The Dawn Brigade is also blessed with enemy stat growths (and an extra life on maddening) so they glowed up.

Edited by Raphael

23 hours ago, DaveCozy said:

Something I'm very, very glad I did before starting the first Brodia maps was having an early promoted Chloé into Griffin Knight. I used my first master seal from Anna's paralogue on her, and no regrets at all.

Chapters 7, 8 and 9 are all "defeat commander" objectives, and all of them have flying tome wielding bosses! She was an absolute lifesaver in baiting the bosses and clearing those maps quick.

For Chapter 8 specifically, there's a wall right below the ballista which only fliers can move on. The center tile of that wall is just on Ivy's tome range. That's exactly where I parked Chloé for an easy bait, forcing Ivy to use her tome instead of Leif's other weapons. Alcryst and Etie did wonders to weaken her with Ballista and Long Bow from there.

I frankly saw no other way to get through this map quickly without a flier (do you even get 2nd seals from the shop this early?). Those constant reinforcements are brutal.

--

I'd say personally that chapter 3, 5 and 11 on Maddening have been the hardest by far. 11 probably takes the cake if I had to choose only one though; freeze is a very mean status effect...

I actually managed to win it pretty easily once I remembered I had a pure water. Easy baiting at that point. I just did chapter 11 and it had me worried, but then Ivy comes in with rings and it was no sweat. I had heard both 10 and 11 were hard chapters, but I honestly didn't think so. Then again I'm not afraid to meatshields someone I'm gonna bench either. Had to let Vander and Jade both bite it inn the first part of 10. It's like sacking a Pokemon during a Nuzlocke. 

Strangely enough I find random skirmish battles the hardest of them. The stages have a certain script, an ebb and flow to them. You just have to know what you're doing.

But most skirmishes just throw you in a position where you're surrounded by multiple waves of enemies on all sides who are all stronger than your units are, meaning that no matter how good you play you'll eventually be swarmed to death by the horde. Perhaps not if you take a team consisting solely of all your A listers, but the entire point of skirmish is to train the units that lag behind, something that's kinda impossible if they perpetually risk getting swarmed by much stronger opponents and killed off. 

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Strangely enough I find random skirmish battles the hardest of them. The stages have a certain script, an ebb and flow to them. You just have to know what you're doing.

But most skirmishes just throw you in a position where you're surrounded by multiple waves of enemies on all sides who are all stronger than your units are, meaning that no matter how good you play you'll eventually be swarmed to death by the horde. Perhaps not if you take a team consisting solely of all your A listers, but the entire point of skirmish is to train the units that lag behind, something that's kinda impossible if they perpetually risk getting swarmed by much stronger opponents and killed off. 

This. Sometimes I get decent skirmishes, other times I get ones that really want me to bring my A Team...when the point of skirmishes to grind your lower leveled units. Ugh. I'm currently at Chapter 9, though haven't started it. I'm playing on Normal/Casual. Chapter 8 was pretty rough, but I didn't lose any units or have to restart. Looking forward to future chapters!

On 1/22/2023 at 9:28 PM, Xylaugheon Daily said:

I haven't played Tiki on maddening, but there are reinforcements every 3 turns or so by the gate to the castle. It will make your turn count pretty abysmal, but I would try finishing all those reinforcements before advancing into the castle. Generally they spawn 2 generic units with the same weapon, but eventually it spawns 3 ice dragons...I think the three ice dragons are the final reinforcement but I would still wait a few turns past that. Also, give a high move unit sigurd if you want the silver card for discounts because you have to pass by tiki's chamber and avoid attacks along the way to get to the lake in the back of the castle. (I don't think a flier can do it the other way) Ice dragons can't counter with their 3 range attack, so an engraved longbow might be a good idea?

Perhaps not if you take a team consisting solely of all your A listers, but the entire point of skirmish is to train the units that lag behind, something that's kinda impossible if they perpetually risk getting swarmed by much stronger opponents and killed off.

Not the entire point, you can level the good units too. BTW, Tiki's paralogue area has weaker skirmishes than the main world map, but they're so weak they might not be worth doing mostly (I have seen 2 there, one group of level 1 units and one group of level 5 units).

The hardest map for me was probably the tiki chapter, ya.