Your best, worst and most disappointing unit.

ciphertul

Just cleared chapter 9. My impressions:

The only unit I have been disappointed by is Alear. Maybe because I was spoiled by the avatars of past games, but they don't seem to measure up to any of them, from what I've seen...

Besides them, Vander is not holding up well. I need to look elsewhere for an axe user... but the one I want to use is not being helped by the fact that skirmishes seem to be overtuned (I swear to Arceus, it's like every skirmish I see is harder than the story fight I just cleared)... and often starting surrounded only makes things worse.

All that said, I've mostly been satisfied by Louis and Celine's performances thus far. Not needing to worry about Break (or at least, break from WTD) does wonders for the former, and the latter hits real hard.

Edited by Shadow Mir

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best:
- Boucheron, I gave him Marth's hit+10 and suddenly he was fixed, his HP is so high he can even survive crits, his speed high enough he doubles pegasi. I gave him a hammer and he tears through everything that has a lance, and one shots mages.

Surprisingly good:
- Framme, granted I gave her a few extra levels, but she is great. I forged up her weapon so she destroys everything without good defenses, that defensive thingy is incredibly neat for pulling in opponents, and then Micaiah's skill heals herself when she heals someone else so she can defend again right after
- Etie, I see so many complaining about her, I think she's doing great. Her speed and defenses are horrible, true, but her strength is great, and early access to the longbow makes her great at safely taking enemies to low HP.

Disappointing:
- Clanne, he's just... not great. His damage output is really low, doubles only armors, and dies to everything. Only reason he's not my worst is because he has 3 range and does almost take out armor knights pretty well.

Worst:
- Jade, though I hate to say it, because I quite like her. Perhaps it wasn't my greatest decision to reclass her to lancefighter upon getting her (I don't like armor knights, and still had no lance users in my team at this point). Her only use now is chip damage on chains and breaking sword users. Oh, and hoping she crits using that killer lance, I do enjoy those crits.

14 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That being said, if you like his beard as much as I do, there are ways to make him work long-term. It's not so easy that he becomes another Seth/Titania/Frederick/what have you, but it's possible if you like him enough to put in the effort. His growths are okay, I find his speed is weak, but otherwise he's been growing well enough to keep up. His EXP gains are the real problem. Later on you encounter enough promoted enemies that he can grow at a somewhat decent pace, but otherwise, Micaiah, Byleth and Ike's AoE abilities grant a lot of EXP that he could use. Micaiah in particular gives him a ton just by healing multiple people at the same time. He could also inherit Byleth's Instructor skill, though it doesn't seem to do much.

Oh I do think he´s got a serious case of awesome character design unfortunately he died to chapter 11 Sigurd assault. I might just redo 11 to promote someone other than Alfred, since both barely managed to stay alive in recent chapters when the enemy had so much as a chance to counter-/attack and I certainly have no intention of trying to baby something like that - they may enjoy the comfort of the bench.

14 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

He fulfills his role unlike any other non-remake Jeigan since Binding Blade. And that's a good thing, I would say.

Kaga archetypes can go and die in a fire. Jeigan is a story element, before he´s a unit.

First post, I’ve always been here reading but with the release of engage I want to join the discussion. Anyway, hard classic on chapter 20.

Best:

Hortensia is the ultimate support unit and Byleth works on her better than I expected. He’s more like a magic emblem in this game surpringly. Flying staffer with goddess dance is great utility.

Timerra has replaced Louis as my tank around chapter 17. She’s like a Diamant that focuses more on defense and res, and still has nice speed and strength. Leave Ike on her and she’s rocking high 30s to 40s defense and high 20s res so she can’t actually tank mages, and sandstorm is just a bonus. Was a key player in chapter 19. 

Speaking of Diamant, just throw him at something that isn’t a group of mages and he’ll come out on top. Gave him Leif and with adaptable and vantage it’s a wrap for most enemies.  

Yunaka with Corrin and Micaiah engraving on a dagger. Potent debuffer with draconic hex and dagger poison and amazing dodge tank. 

Fogato with Sigurd and a radiant bow. 14 move blaster with engage and better defense and res than my alcryst, though Alcryst has more strength Fogato has enough magic for the bow to hurt. 

Worst:

The only unit I’ve been super disappointed in is Alfred. He was never able to get off the ground for me and I tried. I eventually just gave Louis Sigurd and watched him be Alfred but better. 

1 hour ago, ChikiTiki said:

Worst:

The only unit I’ve been super disappointed in is Alfred. He was never able to get off the ground for me and I tried. I eventually just gave Louis Sigurd and watched him be Alfred but better. 

Agree. Cavalry in Engage is generally made irrelevant by Sigurd's mobility boost. The only thing special about him is being weak to beast-killing weapons, and there is an abundacy of early game lancers, so he's an instabench for me.

Edited by szechuan

Best: Diamant is very good. Helps secure many kills by himself and can tank a lot of hits.

Worst: Alfred. I had to feed him a lot of kills byt still wasn’t worth the time I spent unfortunately. Amber was just better so he was sadly benched.

Disappointing: Boucheron and his misses were very annoying. Although his chain attacks are very useful and his perosnal is interesting esp in bosses, I sadly benched him in the end. I might try him again next playthrough and just drop a bunch of godess icons to fix his luck lol.

Edited by Viberum

16 minutes ago, goomoonryong said:

Well, it seems poor Alfred does get a lot of hate from people, it's just his class is too bad while his base stats growth is actually better than Diamant which is the favorite of many people. If you invest a second seal on Alfred he'd be much better

I suppose, but if you change him to something like Halberdier I feel he gets outperformed by Timerra, who at this point is an S tier unit imo. Alfred was just done dirty, and I hear fixed growths Alfred is even worse.

Best: Etie. Seriously, wtf. All her level ups have been amazing. Louis is a close second.

Worst: Framme, predictably. She tries her best.

Most Disappointing: Alear. 35 strength growth isn't great to start with, but wow does he struggle to damage... anything, really. I've had to burn all my stat boosters just to get him barely usable.

Surprisingly, my Alfred turned out pretty good. I guess I got lucky with him? He's not amazing, but he's definitely better than Alear.

Edit: Side note, I never gave Alfred Sigurd, because I figured that was a waste as he's already a cav. In fact, I'm kind of surprised so many people did.

Edited by dragonlordsd

Just for context, playing on Hard/Classic and I just beat Chapter 17(F**k that chapter)

Best - Diamant, Timerra, Yunaka

Diamant is the GOAT. He is just so good. Still have him in his unique class. Gave him a Killer Axe(engraved Lyn’s emblem on it) and he crits everything. The lowest I’ve seen his crit is like 55%? And his unique ability negates practically all of his accuracy issues AND on top of that to offset giving the enemy higher accuracy, he gets Sol. He’s amazing. Didn’t think TOO much about prerelease but now he’s husbando.

Timerra is very fun. Yeah she’s lance locked + infantry but Emblems practically negate that. And the game does a great job introducing an emblem that works perfect for her gameplan(they do this a lot actually lol). Her Sandstorm ability is fun and I’ve just been very lucky with how much she’s been proccing it. Kinda want to make her a General just to boost her DEF even higher.

Yunaka is a dodge tank with the help of Marth’s skill inheritence. Stacking avoid on her has let me just stick her in harms way and draw aggro and have the rest of my team clean up. She’s a Wolf Knight right now because I want to play around with that skill and giving her Sigurd for hit and run shenanigans.

Honorable Mentions: Céline, Louis, Ivy

Worst - Alfred, Alear

I wanted to like Alfred so much. He just did not want to level up his speed like AT ALL. He was great early game, he felt like a Vander-lite. Very tanky, just fast enough to not get doubled, great chip damage, mobile. But yeah he just hasn’t been holding up. I did give him Lyn’s ring and Speedtaker has actually been helping him a ton but I feel like I could get better use of Lyn on anyone else.

Alear has just been disappointing. They just don’t do any damage practically the exact opposite problem I’m having with Alfred. My Alear is so fast and can dodge a lot which is nice but doubling things for 0 isn’t so nice.

44 minutes ago, Mitama said:

I just beat Chapter 17(F**k that chapter)

What's so ruff about it?

44 minutes ago, Mitama said:

Alear has just been disappointing. They just don’t do any damage practically the exact opposite problem I’m having with Alfred. My Alear is so fast and can dodge a lot which is nice but doubling things for 0 isn’t so nice.

Glad I ain't alone in terms of being disappointed by Alear. Again, maybe I let the other three being rather good get my hopes up, but they've been a disappointment thus far.

I'm still at Chapter 9, grinding levels and supports and rings before the big event in 10. I'm trying to give everyone a fair chance since I made beasts out of everyone I could in Awakening, Fates, and Three Houses. I've forged and engraved my F!Alear's sword so she's actually doing pretty well. She also got a few Strength levels.

Best: I'm not sure I have any units I'd consider this tier yet. Everyone's a WIP. Shout out to Louis being a great tank, though.

Disappointing: Alfred not leveling Speed, as so many have mentioned. He does great damage, though. Boucheron is having issues with hitting, so I'm trying to get enough SP to slap Hit + 10 on him. Etie has great offensive capability, but she's so fragile right now. As for mages, I'm not sure if I'm going to keep Clanne even though I like him. Celine is not leveling as good as I'd like either. Sigh. I'm just going to keep working on them.

Worst: Don't have anyone on this tier yet, thankfully.

Earlier in this thread, I said Alear is disappointing mainly because of Diamant. Guessed Alear was balanced around Engage abuse -- having Liberation and Dragon-type bonuses. Then I looked at their stats if they were the same class and...

Spoiler

Lv13Alear.thumb.jpg.3db1efadad3bdf54511f362e813515db.jpgLv14Diamant.thumb.jpg.18b4e0d39091e001df40b5b792420b7a.jpg

So basically, Diamant has actual Lord-like stats (It's like that's his class or something) while...ironically coming with Roy of all lords. If he were a regular Sword Fighter, it'd practically be a demotion despite being the same tier. lol Alear would legit compete against him in combat even without reclassing while getting access to Dragon-type bonuses. Suppose IS thought he needed to stand out vs. Alear, so...

2 hours ago, Mitama said:

Have you tried giving your Alear smash weapons? I found with Lapis that there is an odd role of player phase speedtank - smash weapons + high avo(marth's perception is a key) allows you to avoid enemy retaliation and literally smash them.

23 minutes ago, Technoweirdo said:

Earlier in this thread, I said Alear is disappointing mainly because of Diamant. Guessed Alear was balanced around Engage abuse -- having Liberation and Dragon-type bonuses. Then I looked at their stats if they were the same class and...

Reveal hidden contents

Lv13Alear.thumb.jpg.3db1efadad3bdf54511f362e813515db.jpgLv14Diamant.thumb.jpg.18b4e0d39091e001df40b5b792420b7a.jpg

So basically, Diamant has actual Lord-like stats (It's like that's his class or something) while...ironically coming with Roy of all lords. If he were a regular Sword Fighter, it'd practically be a demotion despite being the same tier. lol Alear would legit compete against him in combat even without reclassing while getting access to Dragon-type bonuses. Suppose IS thought he needed to stand out vs. Alear, so...

I can confirm Diamant is the actual lord while Alear is just some dweeb we're forced to deploy. Alear's like Vaan from FF12.

17 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Just cleared chapter 9. My impressions:

The only unit I have been disappointed by is Alear. Maybe because I was spoiled by the avatars of past games, but they don't seem to measure up to any of them, from what I've seen...

Besides them, Vander is not holding up well. I need to look elsewhere for an axe user... but the one I want to use is not being helped by the fact that skirmishes seem to be overtuned (I swear to Arceus, it's like every skirmish I see is harder than the story fight I just cleared)... and often starting surrounded only makes things worse.

All that said, I've mostly been satisfied by Louis and Celine's performances thus far. Not needing to worry about Break (or at least, break from WTD) does wonders for the former, and the latter hits real hard.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure skirmishes in this game are more intended as a form of postgame than a form of grinding, and I'm okay with that. I'm doing a no-grind run for the first time in years, and it feels really well paced here.

47 minutes ago, Scaramuccia said:

Have you tried giving your Alear smash weapons? I found with Lapis that there is an odd role of player phase speedtank - smash weapons + high avo(marth's perception is a key) allows you to avoid enemy retaliation and literally smash them.

I ended up just now reclassing Alear to a Wyvern Knight and now she does damage. Wyvern Knight is always the answer it turns out no matter the game. But yeah I haven’t really been utilizing Smash weapons.

2 minutes ago, Mitama said:

I ended up just now reclassing Alear to a Wyvern Knight and now she does damage. Wyvern Knight is always the answer it turns out no matter the game. But yeah I haven’t really been utilizing Smash weapons.

Mine was lacking in damage until he was a Paladin.

9 hours ago, ChikiTiki said:

I suppose, but if you change him to something like Halberdier I feel he gets outperformed by Timerra, who at this point is an S tier unit imo. Alfred was just done dirty, and I hear fixed growths Alfred is even worse.

I reclassed Alfred to Paladin and he does decent after that, he'd be better if I reclassed him earlier but I was dumb and hold to promoting until lv 20 and took awhile to notice that units has internal level like Awakening/Fates. I might also try to pick other class in another playthrough with him. 

For me, Alear is the best unit. They end up with both good dodge and defense and become my super bait. The res is a bit lacking but can't ask for more since RNG abuse isn't easy as GBA games.

Edited by goomoonryong

Well my new best unit is the horribly over-grinded Anna. A Royal Knight with everything but Str capped rocking both Hp/Lck +8 and Lifesphere along with Byleth. I’m pretty sure +20 is the cap you can buff a stat by. Like if I try to have Anna with both Lck +10, Hp/Lck +8 and Eirika (who should give 10 Lck) Anna only gets +20 to her Lck capping at 53.

5 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

What's so ruff about it?

Spoiler

The Hounds have learned from all the previous evil groups in Fire Emblem history, as they attack you all at once with all six of their Emblems (instead of one at a time like say the Black Fang) versus the six emblems you have at the time. They also stick together (except for Celica!Griss who will just Warp Ragnarok himself over to you anyway), so it's hard to pick them off one by one. Add in the new mechanic of every boss having multiple health bars. Plus half the map is on fire and there are those damned beasts with attacks that ignore Def/Res.

Also, I reclassed Alfred to a Great Knight, and I noticed an immediate improvement (though still not really up there). So it may just be his Noble/Avenir prof class being wonky.

Edited by Moonlit Knight

Just now, Moonlit Knight said:
  Hide contents

The Hounds have learned from all the previous evil groups in Fire Emblem history, as they attack you all at once with all six of their Emblems versus the six you have at the time. They also stick together (except for Celica!Griss who will just Warp Ragnarok himself over to you anyway) so it's hard to pick them off one by one. Add in the new mechanic of every boss having multiple health bars. Plus half the map is on fire and there are those damned beasts with attacks that ignore Def/Res.

Spoiler

I was beyond annoyed with Zephia in particular. I had to run my mounted units all the way across the map to get them out of the fight because they thought it would be a great idea to have a flying boss with Sigurd who can spam override every single turn. Not helped by having to potentially deal with 2 other bosses and other enemies simultaneously.

(this is with maddening mode in mind)

Best

Merrin: Her bases are very good, coming with amazing speed (which is complimented by pretty generous build stat), mixed offenses which include 1-2 range daggers while having the magic stat to use the Levin Sword, and decent-ish bulk. Her growths are on the lower side but, her bases make up for it (plus there are plenty of ways to boost stats like engraves, rings, forges, etc.)

Hortensia: Really good user of status staves because of the class skill for her personal class and also her personal skill. Comes with workable bases (mag is low but she does have very high speed and dex to use heavier/stronger tomes) and she can gain even more stats considering she's pretty much ready to promote once you get her (which means more magic). 

Kagetsu: Insane bases with high strength, speed, and dex while also having very solid bulk (considering his class) with a solid hp, defense and resistance stats. Swordmaster is alright on him but, because of his high bases I find him a very great candidate to reclass into the likes of Wyvern Lord, Hero or Paladin.

Disappointing

Alfred: When I used him he kept getting really good level-ups but still performed terribly since I always found him getting doubled since his base SPD is low (which means a lot of catching up to do) combined with low build. This ends up compromising his bulk which is pretty solid but, since he's prone to getting doubled it ends up not mattering anyways. The class skill of his lord class is good in theory but, Alfred has a low Dex growth so in practice it kind of doesn't really show up as often as you'd like.

Lapis: Sucks that she joins 1 chapter before Diamant who has similar speed (with higher build) but comes with better strength and bulk, then Kagetsu shows up a few chapters later and completely blows her out of the water. 

Vander: Kind of a sad Jagen archetype because he doesn't really have the tools he needs to dominate the early game. He doesn't have access to any exclusive weaponry (typically silver weapons in older games) while enemy quality is very high which means he can't really just pubstomp as easily as older Jagens. I still think he does his role fine where he can soften up enemies and his growths are high enough where he can scale if given the investment, problem is that he's going to be stuck with underwhelming bases for a while until he can get double digit exp.

Alear: Think it's moreso the expectation that the main lord will be good given that the last couple of FE games gave you really overtuned lords/protagonists. I find Alear okay it's just he's quite underwhelming combat wise due to his low strength growth but, they do get emblem type bonuses from pretty much every single ring so I guess it balances out?

Jade: I don't think she's that bad but, it's just that her bases are so similar to Louis's who joins way earlier and will have more time to scale so she seems a bit pointless to use unless reclassed into something else.

Bad

Anna: Joins at a low level and desperately wants to get into a magic class as soon as possible to utilize her significantly higher magic growth. You end up having to decide to either suffer through 5 more levels of her as an axe fighter with low bases or you second seal right away and delay promotion even more. Don't really think money is tight in this game (unless you donated a bunch) so I don't find her personal skill anything special.

Clanne: Suffers generally from slowly and steadily getting outclassed by like every mage (Celine, Citrine and Ivy) and has a really sad base magic growth. Still useful early for chip damage (especially against armors) and deployment slots aren't as tight but his late game scaling is very poor unless you get him up to level 10 and then reclass him into a physical class which seems like a lot of extra work.

Overrated

Yunaka: I don't think she's bad (I think she's quite good overall) but I don't really see her as the second coming of christ that people paint her to be (aka unhittable demon who can 1 round every enemy besides armors with 1-2 range). I found that she needs quite a bit of investment with her STR growth not being that high (still workable), not having any promotion gains unless she reclasses into a base class which would just screw over her exp gain, and there's also the issue where Zelkov does sorta outclass her due to better bases and he can fulfill the same role as her. I feel like if her and Zelkov traded places, people wouldn't be speaking highly of them.

Jean: I find him alright, I just find the reasonings for him being busted is usually due to the DLC Tiki ring taking his high growths even higher being quite silly considering the DLC is kind of made to be busted. Other than that, I think the strength of him circumventing his low level through the exp gain from Micaiah's Great Sacrifice is also silly because any unit can do that gain a ton of exp? (what's with people thinking grinding is exclusive to some units). Either way, I think Jean being a staffer helps him gain exp safely and qi guard is also very clutch in certain situations.

Best - Chloé. With the Sigurd ring, she reminds me a lot of Marcia from PoR, and to me that spells OP. So I'm really surprised so many didn't like her. Lowkey she's being slept on, and she's gonna be carrying future LTCs.

I chose to promote her first to Griffon Knight, and she carried me through the first three Brodia maps easily, baiting all 3 of those bosses; you can easily get 3 turn clears in chapters 7, 8 and 9 with Chloé. Even as she's falling off in terms of combat now at ch14, she's still keeping up with staff utility and Clear the Way. That's actually kinda nice, going to more utility as better units start joining and still justifying a deployment slot.

Disappointing - Lapis. Joining Ch7 in a bigass bridge map with only 4-move and 1-range combat just wasn't useful at all, she couldn't keep up in that map nor in subsequent ones. Even Boucheron was better at providing Chain Attack support with Hand Axes at this point, even if his stats were worse; at least he has 2-range combat options while Lapis did not.

Does anyone have any tips on using her effectively? I read earlier that she can get an early Master Seal with item boosters making a difference, but there's a lot of units that want those things too.

Worst - Anna. Why does she get ORKO'd so much as a frontline unit. In her join chapter FML. Even the Boss can one-round her... in Hard.  

On 1/24/2023 at 5:35 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

That being said, if you like [Vander's] beard as much as I do, there are ways to make him work long-term. It's not so easy that he becomes another Seth/Titania/Frederick/what have you, but it's possible if you like him enough to put in the effort. His growths are okay, I find his speed is weak, but otherwise he's been growing well enough to keep up. His EXP gains are the real problem. Later on you encounter enough promoted enemies that he can grow at a somewhat decent pace, but otherwise, Micaiah, Byleth and Ike's AoE abilities grant a lot of EXP that he could use. Micaiah in particular gives him a ton just by healing multiple people at the same time. He could also inherit Byleth's Instructor skill, though it doesn't seem to do much.

Daddy Vander ❤️

He's a good candidate for a second seal imo. I put him in Great Knight; his speed tanks, but his defense rockets to 17 or something like that, which is honestly solid enough to let him stay relevant even in ch9 and beyond. Getting doubled isn't the worst thing when he can absorb damage.

Micaiah is also hilarious but surprisingly viable on him in Brodia; 5 base magic actually works well with a heal staff to top up a unit early. However, Great Sacrifice only nets him about 20~ish EXP max in Maddening, whereas other units can easily gain 75 EXP with it. Also, mages like Clanne or Citrine would prefer having it if you're into chain-rewarping; the Rewarp staff with Micaiah has +1 range, so it can hitch adjacent units along for the rewarp ride, and Mystical type classes get more Rewarp range with her. So it is a very competitive emblem.

Personally, I'd say it's best to reclass him to Great Knight. Even from base his stats stay much more competitively that way. Assuming ofc you do want to use him.

Edited by DaveCozy