Time Crystal - Outcomes are the same when rewinding to start of previous enemy phase

renegadeandy

Hi. I had a bad position on one of my units on Chapter 8. A crit hit her and she died. I decided to play with the time crystal and found that if I rewind back to the start of the phase where she just died.....and bypass the warning which says "You are going to return to a phase which is not in your control" --- Then the outcome of that turn never changes. She will die. Period.

This means, that no matter how many times I rewind that enemy phase, the outcomes are set. So the 'outcomes' or RNG for hit / crit and target are set BEFORE the 'Begin Enemy Phase' entry. Be aware of this!

Now of course it may be I am wrong - has anyone seen any other behaviour?

Edited by renegadeandy

This is how the rewind feature has always functioned I believe. If you want to change what has occurred, you need to go back to player phase and change how you positioned that unit and how you acted with it to change what happens. If you just keep rewinding but change nothing about your positioning/actions, you aren't gonna change anything

I remember it working like that in 3H, so that didn't surprise me. Of course, if you're going back to the previous player phase, you can just do things differently. Like healing, for example.

Sure - but I suppose my expectation was that the enemies' rolls occur directly before their action, but that's not the case. Internally the games logic knows what each unit is doing at the "Begin Enemy Phase"

Therefore I suppose not actionable insight, but interesting!😈

I am pretty sure it uses fixed seed for random generation. The way it works - when game needs a random number it doesn't get a true random number, but the next random number from the sequence that was predetermined at the start of the battle or even the whole game. So if you rewind and do exactly the same actions in exactly the same order results would always be the same.