Hi! First time using a forum!

FlamesOfRagnell

Hi all! I have known about Serenes Forest for some time now. I've never really actively used a forum before (unless you count viewing threads found through Google searches here and there). But on a whim, I decided to make an account here. I'm not sure how often I'll end up posting, but why not just join up?

I got into Fire Emblem just a few years ago. Like many, I assume, I found the series through Super Smash Bros., which I play often (Ultimate, that is). I didn't know what to start with, but I found the visual design of Robin and Lucina to be very cool, and I'm also fan of Laura Bailey's voice acting in general (sad that she never returned to the character after SSB4; I wonder what happened?), so I simply decided to start with Awakening.

So far I've played (in order):

• Awakening
  • Three Houses (all routes! THAT took long enough lol)
  • Path of Radiance
  • Radiant Dawn
  • Shadow Dragon (DS)
  • Currently playing Warriors: Three Hopes

After I'm done with Three Hopes, I will probably play:

• New Mystery of the Emblem. Speaking of, I see there is a translation patch here on the forums. As far as I can tell, it says it's all done, but I'm curious, can anyone reading this speak to the fan translation's quality?
  • Fates
  • Shadows of Velentia
  • The Binding Blade
  • The Blazing Blade

...Maybe Engage after that? lol

I'll likely continue to play more FEs as I get the urge!

Welcome to the forest! I'm currently playing through Shadows of Valentia (on a hiatus at the moment due to other games taking priority) but so far it's a wonderful game so I have a feeling you'll really like it! I hope you have a great time here and let anyone here know if you have any questions, everyone is really nice so please don't be afraid to ask for help if needed. 🙂 

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Welcome. Personally, I'd skip Binding Blade if I were you. You ain't missing out on much, honestly.

I heard that Roy is weak as hell but I haven't heard anything overtly negative otherwise. What's wrong with it exactly?

25 minutes ago, FlamesOfRagnell said:

I heard that Roy is weak as hell but I haven't heard anything overtly negative otherwise. What's wrong with it exactly?

To be blunt, damn near everything. Shitty map design, frustrating as fuck to play, and the whole nine yards.

6 hours ago, Chad Narukami said:

Welcome to the forest! I'm currently playing through Shadows of Valentia (on a hiatus at the moment due to other games taking priority) but so far it's a wonderful game so I have a feeling you'll really like it! I hope you have a great time here and let anyone here know if you have any questions, everyone is really nice so please don't be afraid to ask for help if needed. 🙂 

It's probably the one I'm most excited to play. Judging from the cover art and the few character designs I've seen, I love the aesthetic. I've also heard good things about the music. The story, while I've only heard very limited things about it, seems interesting too. Some sort of dual storyline? If it's anything like Radiant Dawn's story in terms of structure I'm sure I will think it's awesome.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

To be blunt, damn near everything. Shitty map design, frustrating as fuck to play, and the whole nine yards.

Damn, well I'm sure save states will help me for some of that...I may stop in the middle if it's really that bad, but I will try it out at least.

8 minutes ago, FlamesOfRagnell said:

Damn, well I'm sure save states will help me for some of that...I may stop in the middle if it's really that bad, but I will try it out at least.

Also, I'd recommend playing Blazing Blade first anyway, as Binding Blade is the sequel to that.

5 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Also, I'd recommend playing Blazing Blade first anyway, as Binding Blade is the sequel to that.

I was under the impression that Binding Blade came out first, and Blazing Blade is a prequel. Is it one of those weird situations where they clearly should have released things in a different order than they ended up doing?

2 hours ago, FlamesOfRagnell said:

I was under the impression that Binding Blade came out first, and Blazing Blade is a prequel. Is it one of those weird situations where they clearly should have released things in a different order than they ended up doing?

Not really. Blazing Blade's conflict is mostly independent of what happens in Binding Blade, though. What's more, a good chunk of the Blazing Blade cast is related to someone who appears in Binding Blade.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Welcome to the Forest, FlamesOfRagnell!

You got quite the backlog to beat. Good luck with that.

Glad you're enjoying the series.

Have a nice day and enjoy your stay!

5 hours ago, Ycine said:

Welcome to the Forest, FlamesOfRagnell!

You got quite the backlog to beat. Good luck with that.

Glad you're enjoying the series.

Have a nice day and enjoy your stay!

Thank you! And tell me about it... It's not only Fire Emblem, either! But lots of folks have that problem. But I'm determined!

Hello! Wellcome to the forums, FlamesOfRagnell!

It might be out of my personal bias for Elibe, but I really reccommend you to not skip Binding Blade (or as you said, at least try it out to see for yourself if you like it), the game has flaws, sure, but I'll never look back on my time playing it and think of it as wasted, in fact I think I'd have missed out by not playing it, can't know your tastes so idk if you'll like it, but even with the flaws I wouldn't ever say that the game is that bad. The characters on the initial team (and many others later on too) are boring as shit which contributes a lot for people to not like the characters of the game, but lots of the ones that you get later are really interesting, specially when you see the right support convos (so basically, the only way to get to like most of the cast is if you actively try to get supports, or watch them online during the game, but still worth it). Also beware, the game has a "good ending" and a "bad ending" except that the bad ending is just the game abruptly ending 3 chapters before the good (or rather, actual) ending, that is pratically impossible to get on the first(and probably more) tries without a guide. To get it you have to play every Gaiden chapter on the game, and in addition to this there are 2 variations of the  good ending + one way to extend the epilogue of the game (that will then be called "EpilogueXX", and also has these 2 variations) depending on some very minor choices that you did during the game (I can tell you which ones if you want to, i just didn't now because it'd be hard to explain without some spoilers and you might not want it, if you look online there's lots of misinformation about this matter but in any case if you follow what people say online you'll surely get the good ending + the extended epilogue, the problem is if you're aiming to an specific ending or to know the exact conditions because people tend to mix the requirements a lot, honetly I just know what I'm talking about because I tested the 4- or rather 5 but one is unimportant- ending variations by myself and wrote the results down otherwise I'd get confused too)

On 1/26/2023 at 10:21 PM, FlamesOfRagnell said:

Well, yeah, FE6 DID come first but lots of people tend to recommend it to be played after FE7 mostly because FE6 is harder than FE7 and not begginer friendly at all (while FE7 was made to be the first FE released overseas and so it was planned to be the first Fire Emblem that lots of people would play, which means that it has to work well by itself if you haven't played FE6 since when they released FE7 they had in mind that no one that isn't from japan would know shit about FE6's story so yeah... continuity is not a problem), I know that you're not a begginer so you probably wouldn't mind that FE6 is not begginer friendly, BUT, in any case, if you're planning on playing both I'd still reccommend you to play FE7 first, mostly because you might get some stuff spoiled to you if you play FE6 first (mostly stuff like the fates of some characters from FE7 in FE6, mainly nothing very important but still a motive to not play in release order since if you play FE6 you won't know or care about anyone from FE7 that they mention but if you started with FE7 you will and the mention of FE7 characters on FE6 will look like cool easter eggs, otherwise they're just those random family members of FE6 characters that got mentioned once or unknown backstory fuel for FE6 characters), also two other reasons:

- 1) Karel. He shows up on both games and I think that you'll find his character progression more interesting if you play FE7 first, otherwise you'll be "spoiled" of the person that he becomes (which again, is not a big spoiler it'l cooler if you play FE7 nonetheless).

- 2) There is a scene on FE6 between two characters that were on FE7, Hector and Zephiel, thay will be pretty meh if you play the games in release order, but if you play FE7 first it'll be very powerful.

In addition to this, if you ever decide to play FE7, here's a post with every/most of the secret events and conversations that you can get on the game, since it's kinda hard to find information about this on most forums or sites (usually is not even on the chapters scripts' on FE wiki, etc, mostly just on obscure youtube videos):

https://forums.serenesforest.net/index.php?/topic/94296-secret-scenes-and-conversations-you-didnt-know-about-how-to-get-them-them/

The post was written by me but that's not why I'm giving you the link (I mean... what could I gain from getting someone to read a post I wrote years ago?), it's just that I think that it might be helpful, I wrote that to help who's gonna play the game after all.

If you struggle in any part of the games you can ask me for help and I'll do what I can, wellcome to the forums again, pal. (also, not sure if it's your thing but I reccommend you to check Fire Emblem Heroes as well, I sure find it fun).

Thank you for the guidance @ARMADS!!!. I will go back to this when I finally get to this pair of games, which will take awhile, haha. Given what you said, I'll probably play FE7 -> FE6 since you seem to have thought a lot about the character progressions and everything. Story does come first for me in these games.

On 1/26/2023 at 2:24 PM, FlamesOfRagnell said:

I just cap Roy at an arena and leave him in the back. His biggest issue IMHO is he promotes so damn late

On 1/26/2023 at 5:05 PM, FlamesOfRagnell said:

Smart man. Save states are definitely your friend. Use em often and whenever you’re about to do somethin questionable

@Shadow Miris right. Do Blazing Blade before Binding Blade. Blazing Blade is easier and its earlier in the story line. I personally just like it better doin it that way

You’ll notice the differences with Binding Blade right off the bat. The maps are bigger, enemies need a little more teamwork to kill, and some chapters are just a straight up pain in the begonias. 10B springs to mind. A few rough spots innit but overall its not too bad