Does Alear Have a Dragon Form?

vanguard333

I have yet to play Engage, and I probably won't be playing it for some time due to various reasons (university, monster hunter rise, etc.). When Engage was announced and it was made clear that the protagonist, Alear, is a divine dragon, my one hope was that this game would better utilize the protagonist being a dragon than Fates did with Corrin, where Corrin being a dragon was relevant for all of one story chapter and the dragon transformation was fairly barebones in terms of gameplay. 

Without any spoilers other than the answer to the question, I simply ask: does Alear have a dragon form in Engage? If so, is it part of the gameplay?

Unfortunately, there is no dragon form for Alear. I mean, unless you count

Spoiler

the Tiki DLC ring,

but I doubt anyone would count that.

24 minutes ago, FlyingKitsune said:

Reveal hidden contents

the Tiki DLC ring,

the divine dragon main character being locked out of turning into a dragon unless you buy another divine dragon main character

these paywalls are getting out of hand

26 minutes ago, FlyingKitsune said:

Reveal hidden contents

the Tiki DLC ring,

I certainly wouldn't count that; the dragon form is coming from someone else and it's DLC.

That's a shame to hear; I was looking forward to finally having the protagonist be a divine dragon. Why make the protagonist a dragon if they're going to spend the whole game as a humanoid? At that point, why make them a dragon at all? Alear may as well be a human that got adopted by the divine dragon Lumera; would there be any real difference?

2 minutes ago, indigoasis said:

the divine dragon main character being locked out of turning into a dragon unless you buy another divine dragon main character

these paywalls are getting out of hand

Yeah, it's ridiculous, especially since Tiki and the House Leaders are day 1 DLC; I remember the day 1 DLC for Three Houses being just a bunch of outfits; stuff that was purely cosmetic and that some animators could make in a day, and not substantial stuff like more characters (hence my suspicion that Tiki and the House Leaders were originally going to be in the base game).

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

That's a shame to hear; I was looking forward to finally having the protagonist be a divine dragon. Why make the protagonist a dragon if they're going to spend the whole game as a humanoid? At that point, why make them a dragon at all? Alear may as well be a human that got adopted by the divine dragon Lumera; would there be any real difference?

For certain plot beats, certainly. In fact, them being able to transform would give away one of the game's big twists. Now, why they can't AFTER that is the bigger question.

13 hours ago, redtutel said:

I guess they never found a dragonstone

Spoiler

Alear does have a dragonstone, but they gave it to Veyle before their thousand-year sleep. It breaks after they die, and I assume that they're not especially easy to replace. Veyle also had one of her own, but she buried it because she didn't like the idea of transforming into a Fell Dragon. 

Edited by cpsy1991

13 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

For certain plot beats, certainly. In fact, them being able to transform would give away one of the game's big twists. Now, why they can't AFTER that is the bigger question.

Spoiler

Like I mentioned before, no dragonstone means no dragon transformation.

18 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I see. I was more meaning in terms of stuff like gameplay, but thanks.

I remember that Tiki in Shadow Dragon and its sequel could use the dragonstones of other types of dragons for gameplay purposes; if Alear's dragon form really would give away a big spoiler, I don't see why they couldn't write a way for Alear to have a different, non-spoiler dragon form before the twist.

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

I see. I was more meaning in terms of stuff like gameplay, but thanks.

I remember that Tiki in Shadow Dragon and its sequel could use the dragonstones of other types of dragons for gameplay purposes; if Alear's dragon form really would give away a big spoiler, I don't see why they couldn't write a way for Alear to have a different, non-spoiler dragon form before the twist.

With how the story currently is? I don't think there could. Well, maybe... but well, due to spoilers I can't really go in detail.

On 1/27/2023 at 4:16 PM, Acacia Sgt said:

With how the story currently is? I don't think there could. Well, maybe... but well, due to spoilers I can't really go in detail.

I see.

It's still a real shame. As far as I can tell, IS is the only company in the world that thinks, "If we say the protagonist is a dragon, the audience will clearly want them to be a sword-wielding human the whole time, and not, you know, a dragon." Does IS think dragons are boring?

3 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

As far as I can tell, IS is the only company in the world that thinks, "If we say the protagonist is a dragon, the audience will clearly want them to be a sword-wielding human the whole time, and not, you know, a dragon." Does IS think dragons are boring?

Considering how useless Corrin's dragonstone was on Hard, I'm inclined to say "yes."

7 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Considering how useless Corrin's dragonstone was on Hard, I'm inclined to say "yes."

Yeah, and let's not forget that it was story-relevant for all of one chapter and then just never brought up again, even though you'd think that Corrin's dragon form not resembling the dawn dragon's statue at all would present a really big mystery for all the characters that think that Corrin was born to Hoshido and raised by Nohr (though that part can be explained by the script for all three versions of Fates being painfully obviously a first draft).

I just don't get it; I'm willing to bet almost any writer would say that dragons are cool and that, if you're going to include dragons in a story, you should use the fact that they're dragons. Even George R. R. Martin: an author who deliberately avoids putting too much overt magic/fantasy elements in his fantasy novels, put dragons in his A Song of Ice and Fire series (his original plan was to have the Targaryens use pyrotechnics to fake having dragon powers, but he ultimately decided to write living dragons instead).

Yeah, and let's not forget that it was story-relevant for all of one chapter and then just never brought up again,

Well, it also becomes another forgotten detail if you include the kids; but since everyone is was busy using what happened to Mikoto in Conquest as an excuse for war, it's kind of entertaining in it's own way.

I just don't get it; I'm willing to bet almost any writer would say that dragons are cool and that, if you're going to include dragons in a story, you should use the fact that they're dragons.

In Fates' case, the entire script was rushed, iirc. And it looks like the characters are ignoring some very important questions here and there.

5 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Well, it also becomes another forgotten detail if you include the kids; but since everyone is was busy using what happened to Mikoto in Conquest as an excuse for war, it's kind of entertaining in it's own way.

…I'm not sure I fully understand this sentence; could you please clarify?

5 hours ago, Armchair General said:

In Fates' case, the entire script was rushed, iirc. And it looks like the characters are ignoring some very important questions here and there.

Yeah, I am aware; I mentioned that in the first paragraph. I was more meaning in general rather than with Fates specifically.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

…I'm not sure I fully understand this sentence; could you please clarify?

Basically, where Ryoma sees Garon's assassination for what it is and forgives Corrin (and eventually try to drag him back to Hoshido alive ); Takumi immediately blames Corrin for everything for what's happened and tells him to get the fuck out of his country, and keeps calling you an traitor who deserves to die when he shows up in that siege level. Granted, he's starting to become possessed by Anankos, but I find it kind of entertaining that he never really moved on from it while everyone else is busy trying to actually fight an war or trying to rescue Corrin

3 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Basically, where Ryoma sees Garon's assassination for what it is and forgives Corrin (and eventually try to drag him back to Hoshido alive ); Takumi immediately blames Corrin for everything for what's happened and tells him to get the fuck out of his country, and keeps calling you an traitor who deserves to die when he shows up in that siege level. Granted, he's starting to become possessed by Anankos, but I find it kind of entertaining that he never really moved on from it while everyone else is busy trying to actually fight an war or trying to rescue Corrin

Oh, that's what you were referring to.

I was meaning "never brought up as a plot point", not "never brought up by the other characters".

Anyway, to bring this back to Alear, what are your thoughts on Alear not even having a dragon form unless you count the Tiki DLC Emblem?

15 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Anyway, to bring this back to Alear, what are your thoughts on Alear not even having a dragon form unless you count the Tiki DLC Emblem?

Never really made it that far into the game. I'm kind of ambivalent about the dragon thing because it's something that was pushed off to the side and the writing in this game isn't exactly as great as the older entries, so I don't expect the writers to remember every single detail or for the plot to actually be realistic

Edited by Armchair General

Admittedly, I kinda like the novelty that the relevance of being a dragon isn't in the actual dragon form itself? Like, sure, if you had to have non-humans in order to do the whole awake/summon/corrupt Emblems thing, then being dragons wasn't needed. But it is FE's thing to involve dragons in some way, so... I'm fine with that.

Since, at the very least, Alear being a dragon is something that remains relevant all game long. Which is more that can be said about Corrin, perhaps.

On 1/30/2023 at 8:49 PM, Acacia Sgt said:

Admittedly, I kinda like the novelty that the relevance of being a dragon isn't in the actual dragon form itself? Like, sure, if you had to have non-humans in order to do the whole awake/summon/corrupt Emblems thing, then being dragons wasn't needed. But it is FE's thing to involve dragons in some way, so... I'm fine with that.

Since, at the very least, Alear being a dragon is something that remains relevant all game long. Which is more that can be said about Corrin, perhaps.

I see.

I'm probably just going to get Emblem Tiki ASAP when I get the game so I can give it to Alear and pretend that it's Alear's dragon form.