Blade Runner

Admiral "Bull" Halsey

It's directed by Ridley Scott’s. Blade Runner is a 1982 film that depicts the future of the world in the year 2019. The setting takes place in Los Angeles, California. The set appears to have a half earth, half space look to it. The complexity of the buildings and the set plus the coloring and the constant fog give evidence that this movie was not filmed on location but instead in a specially designed studio. Harrison Ford plays Deckerd, an ex-blade runner who is given his old title back in hopes that he will stop the five Nexus 6 Replicants that have escaped from the off world to earth. Through the use of mise-en-scene and cinematography the director was able to foreshadow events as well as to portray the cold and dark attitudes and feelings of the future. Has anyone seen this movie before?

I've watched Blade Runner on television a couple times, although I missed the beginning both times. One of these days, I'm going to get it on DVD so I can actually see the entire movie.

Don't get the Director's Cut.

I disagree. The Director's Cut version that I saw was awesome, and I heard terrible things about the shitty voice-over in the Theatrical version.

That said, I enjoyed Blade Runner, it was a good story, and it's only real problem was false advertising. The name, and Harrison Ford tend to imply a very action-oriented, summer-blockbuster type movie, whereas what you actually get is much more cerebral fare.

Edited by Balcerzak

I watched the Director's Cut, though I remember a thread on NeoGAF saying that the Final Cut on BluRay is the version meant for theaters before it got butchered.

I love Blade Runner. For such a post apocalyptic and futuristic movie, Rick Deckard manages to be one of the most realistic and flawed action characters I've seen. He's pretty much how an average ordinary person would be in the types of situations he's in.

Blade Runner... yes, Blade Runner. I have a funny relationship with this movie. I actually didn't like it until it was over. The whole time watching it I really didn't feel like I was getting what was happening, something that for me almost never happens. After I watched it, though, and had a chance to digest what happened and put the whole thing in perspective it became a lot more interesting. I think now this might partly be the fault of the cut I watched ("The Finial Cut" if I remember correctly), which wasn't all that great. This is one of the only movies I have ever watched that I enjoyed more the second time.

Even then, though, Ghost in the Shell 2 is a better movie. Blade Runner is great film, but even with the good cuts it is still an essentially flawed film. Ghost in the Shell 2 basically takes the story and style of Blade Runner and turns it into the picture it should have been. It fixes all the pacing, continuity, and 80's special effects issues to make a movie that is simply much more enjoyable to watch and does even better justice to the "feel" of the future presented. Plus, IMHO, the philosophy is more interesting, and the action is so much cooler.

Alright, I want to know everyone's opinion. Do you think Deckard is a Replicant?

I'm not totally sure, but I think they might deal with this in a little more detail in the book.

Edited by Le Communard