Best Classes for each character?

DefyingFates

On 1/29/2023 at 11:50 AM, PrincessAlyson said:

Has anyone made Anna a Sage? I have, but I haven't tried it out yet. I'm considering using another Second Seal to make her a High Priest (for money farming) or a Mage Knight if either of those are better for the game.

I made Anna into sword Griffon Knight to farm money as a dodge tank. Slap on a Levin Sword engraved with Micaiah and let her solo every skirmish

Early on you can go Swordmaster/Wolf Knight to take advantage of avoid terrain but the poor MAG cap of both classes means you won't be one-shotting some enemies. This is Hard mode obviously since you don't have enough time to develop Anna on Maddening

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, BloodRonin said:

Technically, Goldmary has the highest def growth in the game. But you get her about mid point. Louis is really great overall, and has S rank polearms. (which will be clutch much later on when you get the item)   

Is General a good class for her?

7 hours ago, Vicyus said:

That's exactly why. A lot of early speculation was that clanne would do far better in a physical class while having a magic weapon for coverage.

Oh, interesting! Thank you very much! So a Mage Knight with Levin Sword, Flame Lance or Hurricane Axe, that's where your mind is at (or a non-magic Backup class with the same)?

7 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Is General a good class for her?

The problem is by the time you have her, you would have already invested in another general. She can get S rank in Polearms, which is nice for that S rank one you find later on. But her personal skill leans towards not being a general since you would be wasting the avoid.

I made her a general though, just to see if it works, and she does really well. Has more defense than jade and louis

29 minutes ago, BloodRonin said:

The problem is by the time you have her, you would have already invested in another general. She can get S rank in Polearms, which is nice for that S rank one you find later on. But her personal skill leans towards not being a general since you would be wasting the avoid.

I don't have a single General at the moment, so that part isn't a problem for me xD I was thinking of making Louis a General so I could put Goldmary on the list once I'm done. Is General the best class for Jade too, or is she better served as something else?

27 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I don't have a single General at the moment, so that part isn't a problem for me xD I was thinking of making Louis a General so I could put Goldmary on the list once I'm done. Is General the best class for Jade too, or is she better served as something else?

I want to try Goldmary as a Paladin in my next maddening playthrough, now that RNG level ups will be unlocked.

Jade has good growth rates overall for a melee tank. She has a surprisingly high res growth despite starting as an armor knight. She also has innate axe skill, so if you reclass her into certain classes(like general or paladin) she would have S rank while others wouldn't.   I wouldn't say general is her best, but it certainly fits her well. And because I donated max to Solm, I have the S rank axe for her that once upgraded a little has some insane damage, plus really high hit rate, and hit is usually axe weakness. 

37 minutes ago, BloodRonin said:

I want to try Goldmary as a Paladin in my next maddening playthrough, now that RNG level ups will be unlocked.

Jade has good growth rates overall for a melee tank. She has a surprisingly high res growth despite starting as an armor knight. She also has innate axe skill, so if you reclass her into certain classes(like general or paladin) she would have S rank while others wouldn't.   I wouldn't say general is her best, but it certainly fits her well. And because I donated max to Solm, I have the S rank axe for her that once upgraded a little has some insane damage, plus really high hit rate, and hit is usually axe weakness. 

Paladins have mixed bulk, right? Or would she perhaps be better as a Great Knight? Thank you yet again, Bloodronin!

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on Royal Knights?

Spoiler

I'm getting mixed results from Mauvier at the moment and I was wondering if there was something I doing wrong or if I should change his class entirely).

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

So I can’t say to much as my only Royal Knight outside of you know who is my overinvested Anna. They feel like a “growth” class, they have one of the highest total stat spreads. They biggest weaknesses are they low Def capping in high 20 which is pretty low for a melee locked weapon and being stuck with Lances. The Flame lance is pretty weak and rather heavy at 16, RKs have a cap build of 12 so they will still lose spd there. 

26 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

They feel like a “growth” class, they have one of the highest total stat spreads

But if a unit's stats are too high for a new class (e.g. when second sealing away from RK), wouldn't they lose the excess?

Back to Royal Knights, are you saying Mage Knights are better?

My new favorite unit is my Wolf Knight Goldmary + Lyndis with both Canter and Draconic Hex as her inherited skills. I recently wrote about it in another thread. As a Wolf Knight she will have A Lances and A Daggers. Get her a nice +3 Silver Dagger and a Brave Lance.

She will poison and debuff (Draconic Hex and Hobble) the enemy, with the daggers, Canter away. She will be out of threat range of that enemy. Her great avoid with the speed from Speedtaker and her personal will give her a good shot at dodging anyone who can reach her, and with her awesome defense growths she will have mountains more than any Wolf Knight should be allowed. 

After the first attack with the daggers, have her danced and go in with the Brave Lance. You'll be getting off four consecutive hits before they can counter, but they'll be dead. Canter away, have your Ike Repo her or your Corrin to set up Fog and be amazed at all the work she puts in!

Tested and ran on Maddening.

Edited by Xylaugheon Daily

16 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

But if a unit's stats are too high for a new class (e.g. when second sealing away from RK), wouldn't they lose the excess?

Back to Royal Knights, are you saying Mage Knights are better?

Yes you lose them but it still would be okay at patching up some weak stats. RK gives 15% to Dex/Spd and 20% to Res. That could get a couple extra stats in those.

I would say yes, Lance locking the RK was a bad move. It’s kinda sad RK Mag caps at 39 while Mage Knight is 40 but the lack of tomes is night and day.

5 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

I would say yes, Lance locking the RK was a bad move. It’s kinda sad RK Mag caps at 39 while Mage Knight is 40 but the lack of tomes is night and day.

I'll reclass you know who into a Mage Knight then. Unless anyone thinks Sage would be a better choice?

Just now, Xylaugheon Daily said:

You folks are killing me with these caps talk. You all really grinding up to max stats?

There are some scary completionists among us. Speaking personally, I'm far too scared to start a new file so I may as well see how far I can push the units I currently have, right? Also, I got completely obliterated on the Lv 50 Tempest Trials so I could use all the help I can get - both in terms of raw numbers and moreso advice on building units, hence the post 🙂

1 minute ago, DefyingFates said:

There are some scary completionists among us. Speaking personally, I'm far too scared to start a new file so I may as well see how far I can push the units I currently have, right? Also, I got completely obliterated on the Lv 50 Tempest Trials so I could use all the help I can get - both in terms of raw numbers and moreso advice on building units, hence the post 🙂

Ah, well, postgame woes, I take it. Still, grinding in this game seems... unappealing. I'm hoping the DLC will help with getting Supports up, because those I do intend on getting.

1 minute ago, Xylaugheon Daily said:

I'm hoping the DLC will help with getting Supports up, because those I do intend on getting.

Yeah, I want this more than anything else. That's actually part of the reason I want to train characters I didn't use in the first place: so I can get their Supports!

Sticking with the unit building though, here are the ones I'm working on at the moment. Do they look good to anyone else, or should I change course ASAP?

Anna: High Priest (maybe I'll switch to Sage once I no longer need money).

Louis: General (I'm thinking of getting Corrin's Pair Up skill then using him with Ike).

Etie: Warrior

Lapis: Sword/ Lance Hero or Wyvern Knight (I was going to make her a Wyvern Knight, but according to SF and Reddit, Hero is quite a good class?)

Thanks in advance, all!

45 minutes ago, Scaramuccia said:

Have you tried Corrin's Quality Time? As far as I understand this is the way to grind some supports.

Does Quality Time+ increase how much support you gain, or does it only upgrade the HP gained?

But yeah, Once I get some more SP/ Bond Fragments saved up I'm going to put Quality Time on everyone and farm supports that way. I hope it's not too difficult after that!

Echoing Warrior Etie, longbow followups are really strong, and mine gained a lot of speed so she just kills everything with her innate high Str. I've had Leif on her to quickswap away from bows if she gets targeted on EP, but the mention of Lyn Etie certainly is interesting.

On a tangent, i saw mentioned earlier in this thread that arts use Str+Mag/2 rather than raw str, can anyone verify this? I'd noticed my Alear's Mt with arts seemed odd, while Framme's mostly made sense(her str and mag have generally been pretty similar), and this would explain that.

Back to topic at hand, my other classes have generally been expected and have worked out well. I went Wyvern on Chloe since I generally had a lot of staff users at hand(Framme, Celine, Ivy, Hortensia, Citrinne) and her combat has always been quite good with it, helping her Str/Def really makes her shine as a mobile combat unit. Tried Wolf Knight on Yunaka for a bit but I really think thief is just a better class overall. I found cavalry to be a bit of a trap most of the time to be honest. I made a few units cavalry to begin with after promo since they had higher mov, and also in engage, generally better stats, which felt strange to me. I definitely found myself missing the class type perks despite the higher stats and movement though, so my mage/wolf/bow knights went back to infantry, and Great Knight Jade sadly ended up being benched(not that she was bad, I just lacked for unit slots as I started getting more units, and High Defense but will never double wasn't the niche I needed at the time). I'm not sure that general Jade would have stayed on the team though, given I didn't get Sigurd back for a while, who I feel is the key to making knights stand out. Maybe Wyvern Jade is something to try in future.

2 hours ago, Scaramuccia said:

Have you tried Corrin's Quality Time? As far as I understand this is the way to grind some supports.

I guess you could pick up the find item skill from Byleth too if you have okay luck.

13 minutes ago, Blakejp said:

Any advice for what to do with [lvl20 Thief Jean]? It was a slog to get him to this point and I just want to make the most of him. 

At this point, keeping him as a Thief isn't a bad idea. It's actually a pretty good longterm class.

If you do want to reclass him eventually though, wait until level 25 so he can second seal to an advanced class. Don't put him back in a Base Class. I've heard High Priest is pretty nice for him if you want a mixed combat and utility role.

20 minutes ago, DaveCozy said:

At this point, keeping him as a Thief isn't a bad idea. It's actually a pretty good longterm class.

If you do want to reclass him eventually though, wait until level 25 so he can second seal to an advanced class. Don't put him back in a Base Class. I've heard High Priest is pretty nice for him if you want a mixed combat and utility role.

Thank you. Probably have to keep him as a thief then. I thought getting to 21 was the target, and 25 seems so far away. Appreciate the insight

Edited by Blakejp
Typo

40 minutes ago, Blakejp said:

Thank you. Probably have to keep him as a thief then. I thought getting to 21 was the target, and 25 seems so far away. Appreciate the insight

wait... I think you're actually right. It's level 21 Thief to reclass to an advanced class. I got mixed up. Level 25 is for the class skill. My bad

Edited by DaveCozy

6 minutes ago, DaveCozy said:

wait... I think you're actually right. It's level 21 Thief to reclass to an advanced class. I got mixed up. Level 25 is for the class skill. My bad

Still good advice! staring at his stats gave me no idea of where to go. strength and magic both seem low compared to everything else 

15 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Paladins have mixed bulk, right? Or would she perhaps be better as a Great Knight? Thank you yet again, Bloodronin!

They do, but she also would have S rank in polearms as a paladin. With her personal skill and high scaling for defense, I am excited give her a try. She would make a fantastic great knight as well. 

Royal Knights are an odd class imo. I would rather use the mage knight and give them Miciaha so they would have magic staff and melee. But having another staff user in general is never a bad thing.