Strongest Weapon Type?

Otterz

What does everyone think is the best weapon type this time around? By weapon type I mean Swords, Lances, Axes, Knives, Bows, Magic and Arts. I've found Axes and Knives to be very strong, with Knives gaining the most from forging and Axes having their weaknesses such as low hit and and high weight being easily mitigated by refinements and engravings. I've found that Arts and Lances are a bit weaker, due to a large amount of Axe enemies and higher defenses, but this could definitely be due to my bias of what units I've used. 

Just curious about other opinions, for context mine is coming from Hard mode approaching the endgame.

Edited by Otterz

Agreed - daggers are significantly better in this game than they were in RD, and probably better than Heroes too (I'm not much of a Heroes player though, so take with a pinch of salt). 

The problem with arts is that the number of units who can use them well is relatively limited. You can give just about anybody except a pure mage a refined Steel Dagger and they'll do alright, but the same isn't true for arts. However, if you do use refined arts and put them on a decent character, they are at least better than swords.

I guess it's worth saying that refining daggers/arts comes with a resource/gold cost, and the need to refine them is more pressing than for axes/lances/bows. So that's a merit those other weapons have - but I'd still say daggers come out on top in the end.

3 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

It's probably the rapiers, given how often the game spams armored units towards you

I feel rapiers weren't designed with 30+Def generals in mind. Seeing 36 Def in Ike's Paralogue. Can only get worse. ._.

Might get away with sub-10 Mt in older games (Highest in Engage is Lucina's at 8 Mt, I think). This one? Nah. Honestly don't even consider armorslayers and hammers good options. With armor being unbreakable and no WTA bonus to at least help you dodge the counterattack, feels like you're playing massively to an enemy general's strengths by trying to swing at them.

Knives for sure, they're very strong when refined and poison is a very solid status effect against the chunky bosses this game likes to throw at you.

I do wanna say, while not the best, Swords are surprisingly good this game too, given the amount of engage attacks that use them. Blades being usable with a large amount of them is very good for them in particular, their high weight doesn't matter with these attacks and their high might is very beneficial. Still weak in the sense they lack range but surprisingly strong at finishing with a few key Engaged attacks.

Edited by DaveCozy

Daggers are sure nice, but no one talk about bows? I found them really strong! Especially (essentially) if you give them to backup units (either Warrior or Bow user with Lucina's ring). The chain attacks, made possible by longbows, is pretty useful. Radiant bow are nice. But, Longbows, a bit refined are really strong on their own. You can attack safely a lot of foes, without getting in range. And if you give a longbow to the user of Corrin's ring, you can apply Draconic Hex and completely freeze the enemy with the Dreadful Aura, without being in danger. You can also block the foes next. Just game saver when some bosses are such a pain.

But yeah, if the enemy get in range, it's useless, ahah.

EDIT: Ahah, Scaramuccia was too fast for me!

Edited by Hiroki

1 hour ago, Technoweirdo said:

I feel rapiers weren't designed with 30+Def generals in mind. Seeing 36 Def in Ike's Paralogue. Can only get worse. ._.

Might get away with sub-10 Mt in older games (Highest in Engage is Lucina's at 8 Mt, I think). This one? Nah. Honestly don't even consider armorslayers and hammers good options. With armor being unbreakable and no WTA bonus to at least help you dodge the counterattack, feels like you're playing massively to an enemy general's strengths by trying to swing at them.

Well, the main site lists the maximum Def for Generals at 55, but there are faster ways at cutting them down, in this game, since electrical magic appears to have an range of 3 and you can probably whittle down at least 30% of that guy's health if you know what you're doing

Edited by Armchair General

Echoing everyone else, Daggers are ridiculous.

Why do they gain so much from being forged? It's such a weird design choice. As far as I know, no other weapon more than doubles its might at +5

Bows in general don't seem exceptionally strong, I think it's just having such easy access to Minibows and Longbows from the outset makes the whole weapon type seem a lot better. 

Edited by dragonlordsd

35 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Bows in general don't seem exceptionally strong, I think it's just having such easy access to Minibows and Longbows from the outset makes the whole weapon type seem a lot better.

As someone who's been relying on Longbow Etie for most of my run thus far, I completely agree. I also can't remember the last time Longbows get serviceable hit rates, meaning you can actually use that extra range in this game - that's another point in its favour. 

However, Mini Bows are range-locked, and as far as I know there's no way to equip Bows and have an enemy phase against close-quarters and ranged foes (except by using Leif),  so that's at least one reason why daggers are better in this game. 

7 hours ago, dragonlordsd said:

Echoing everyone else, Daggers are ridiculous.

Why do they gain so much from being forged? It's such a weird design choice. As far as I know, no other weapon more than doubles its might at +5

Slim / iron more than double their might, though I get what you mean. 😛 The return on investment is wild. Silver daggers go from -2 Mt compared against silver swords to +1 Mt when both are max-forged for the same cost.

8 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Well, the main site lists the maximum Def for Generals at 55, but there are faster ways at cutting them down, in this game, since electrical magic appears to have an range of 3 and you can probably whittle down at least 30% of that guy's health if you know what you're doing

Mhm. Thunder magic if they're packing throwing weapons, other magic if not. Chain attacks help too due to how they ignore Def/Res.

3 hours ago, Technoweirdo said:

The return on investment is wild. Silver daggers go from -2 Mt compared against silver swords to +1 Mt when both are max-forged for the same cost.

Speaking of, is it better to refine Silver Daggers or the 2-range Legendary Dagger?

10 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Speaking of, is it better to refine Silver Daggers or the 2-range Legendary Dagger?

Assuming infinite resources, the legendary dagger.

Edit: Oh wait, for the cost though? Hm, gonna have to think a bit on this.
Edit 2: At a quick glance, Cinqueda. +3 Cinqueda matches +5 Silver Dagger's Mt for 15 Silver Ore vs 800 Iron + 100 Steel + 20 Silver

Edited by Technoweirdo

10 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I prefer the Steel Daggers over Silver for their crits. But this question seems a bit irrelevant given that you don't even get S rank weapons until the game is almost over, and the dagger is one of the last ones.

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I prefer the Steel Daggers over Silver for their crits. But this question seems a bit irrelevant given that you don't even get S rank weapons until the game is almost over, and the dagger is one of the last ones.

The whole "steel crits" thing is still a bit weird to me. How do steel weapons compare to killer weapons in the other weapon classes? I haven't done the math myself.

47 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

They don't. But there are no Killer Daggers so the point is void.

The closest we get to that is Peshkatz. Which doesn't have 1-2 range.