Characters I Wish We Could Recruit

BloodRonin

This entire post will most likely be a spoiler for anyone who has yet to complete the game.

Spoiler

I am so salty that Mauvier is the only hound we got to recruit. The game hints at him early becoming someone on our team... but man did I really really want Griss to be on our team too. I love his personality. 

If the datamine theory of the 4 new characters we recruit from DLC are alt timeline versions of the 4 hounds is true, I wonder if Griss will still be crazy or not. 

32 minutes ago, BloodRonin said:

This entire post will most likely be a spoiler for anyone who has yet to complete the game.

Hide contents

I am so salty that Mauvier is the only hound we got to recruit. The game hints at him early becoming someone on our team... but man did I really really want Griss to be on our team too. I love his personality. 

If the datamine theory of the 4 new characters we recruit from DLC are alt timeline versions of the 4 hounds is true, I wonder if Griss will still be crazy or not. 

Spoiler

I agree that out of all the Hounds he is definetly the most interesting one and would mind have him in my roster. Would like to learn more about him and there is apperently more to him than "I love pain."

36 minutes ago, BloodRonin said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

i really like Griss. heck he's my favorite villain too. but him turning good would destroy his characterization imo.  he's batshit insane, compared to mauvvier and marni who are just people who dont know any better. 

if someone like that were to become part of the army.. everyone should question Alear sanity too. 

Edited by joevar

Spoiler

While I personally don`t care for Griss (or any of the Hounds for that matter), I can see why others would want him playable to an extent. His crazy personality would contrast greatly with the rest of the cast, making him stand out among his peers. And sometimes, having the crazy guy on your side just makes things more fun.

My most wanted recruits were Morion and Lumera. Morion was such a fun character and seeing him react to the damage his constant invasions had done to Elusia and be confronted with people he had hurt would be amazing. Lumere could have given a interesting view on how the world had changed in the past 1000 years. Plus, we need more surviving moms in FE, plenty of dads get to live (Garcia, Galzus, Barte(FE6), Alios, Seteth), so the moms should get the same opportunity.

My copium induced hope is that the four DLC characters are actually the four monarchs (Eve, Morion, Hyacinth, Sofolgia) and that they get their own story. Am not expecting this to be the case, but still hoping.

Spoiler

Now this one is stupid and most would probably hate it and its not gonna really happen, but... I would be kinda interested in seeing 4 more Anna sisters, all different age and personality. 😄

The four rulers is interesting, but then they would have to do some insane time travel/reality warp (or just different story outside of main campaign) and I dont find them that great to justify that mess.

My guess is they gonna go with new characters we haven't seen and thats fine by me.

Spoiler

The 6 maps with the new characters being called "Fell Xenologue" does suggest to me they will be about an alternate timeline/reality. Xenologue was used for the Awakening and Fates DLCs that took place in the outrealms - other worlds.

Based on what we know it seems like 3 of them could be alternate versions of the Hounds. The names kind of fit too.

Celestia -> Zephia, Gregory -> Griss, Madeline ->Marni

Serenes' report about the data also mentioned a new version of Melusine, Zephia's personal class, has been added to the data alongside the first update that added some DLC info.

Then there's Elle and Rafale, the Serenes article speculates due to several factors they might be more children of Sombron - Names ending in "ru" Japanese like other dragon names in this game, and what might be two new classes that use code sds similar to Fell Child's (Sdp=Shadow Princess) and Fell Monarch's (Sdk=Shadow King) - Sds - > Shadow Scion -> Fell Scion. This also would go along with the "Fell Xenologue" name and using Sombron's emblem while promting the DLC. Although this makes me wonder if one of them couldn't be a younger alternate Sombron? But I guess the names don't really fit.

Edited by NeonZ

I was annoyed when the Queen of Solm offered to come with us, and Fogato told her no

She had a super cool character design, and the reason presented behind her not joining (Fogato not wanting his mom hanging around) was silly. 

Really wish they brought back Creature Campaign for Engage. Having the four royals be playable (especially Eve and Seforia who are literally still alive) woulda been really cool but alas...

Spoiler

As for the four hounds, I do wish they were playable since I do enjoy them but if DLC is to be believed, we'll at least get alternate versions of them being playable based on how similar their names are and how one has Zephia's VA and perf class.

Abyme. She's cute.

On 2/8/2023 at 4:23 AM, NeonZ said:
  Hide contents

The 6 maps with the new characters being called "Fell Xenologue" does suggest to me they will be about an alternate timeline/reality. Xenologue was used for the Awakening and Fates DLCs that took place in the outrealms - other worlds.

Based on what we know it seems like 3 of them could be alternate versions of the Hounds. The names kind of fit too.

Celestia -> Zephia, Gregory -> Griss, Madeline ->Marni

Serenes' report about the data also mentioned a new version of Melusine, Zephia's personal class, has been added to the data alongside the first update that added some DLC info.

Then there's Elle and Rafale, the Serenes article speculates due to several factors they might be more children of Sombron - Names ending in "ru" Japanese like other dragon names in this game, and what might be two new classes that use code sds similar to Fell Child's (Sdp=Shadow Princess) and Fell Monarch's (Sdk=Shadow King) - Sds - > Shadow Scion -> Fell Scion. This also would go along with the "Fell Xenologue" name and using Sombron's emblem while promting the DLC. Although this makes me wonder if one of them couldn't be a younger alternate Sombron? But I guess the names don't really fit.

You're right on the money. 

Spoiler

The twist is 100% going to be a version of the Hounds that happen to be good. It lines up far too well. Especially when we see Fogado being evil and Nelle + Rafale blatantly being stand-ins of Veyle, Sombron's child of the Hounds. 

20 hours ago, LukeB said:

I was annoyed when the Queen of Solm offered to come with us, and Fogato told her no

She had a super cool character design, and the reason presented behind her not joining (Fogato not wanting his mom hanging around) was silly. 

It wasn't all that silly. Fogado not wanting his mom in danger made sense even if it's a shame she's not playable.

I made a Reddit post about this a while back. Lemme just quickly fetch it so I don't have to repeat myself...

Spoiler

Tl;dr: Seforia is the new Judith. Also Morion and Sean look great and I truly wish we got them instead of their kids. Especially Sean. Jean is just... so whatever.

20 hours ago, LukeB said:

Still holding out for the -2% chance that she gets added in a patch, Jeritza style

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I made a Reddit post about this a while back. Lemme just quickly fetch it so I don't have to repeat myself...

Hide contents

Tl;dr: Seforia is the new Judith. Also Morion and Sean look great and I truly wish we got them instead of their kids. Especially Sean. Jean is just... so whatever.

Still holding out for the -2% chance that she gets added in a patch, Jeritza style

Spoiler

I definitely don't agree with Morion over Diamant and Alcryst - two of the best characters in the cast. Seforia would make a great addition (as a Halberdier, cough cough), and Sean over Jean, would have been nice.

8 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:
  Hide contents

I definitely don't agree with Morion over Diamant and Alcryst - two of the best characters in the cast. Seforia would make a great addition (as a Halberdier, cough cough), and Sean over Jean, would have been nice.

Spoiler

Haha, well, to be fair, the Morion part is kind of an exaggeration... Though I will make a half-hearted case for Diamant. At least outwardly (I did not use him or see any of his supports), he seems like just your average very strong, serious and competent crown prince. It's been seen before, and Engage is often derided for being too safe a story.

Imagine if, instead of Morion predictably dying five minutes after his introduction, Diamant had saved him at the last minute but was taken and sacrificed in his place. Then Alcryst has to deal with the fact that his reliable older brother is gone and the future of Brodia is now in his hands, and Morion has to endure the horror of losing his child due to his own recklessness and try his best to keep going for the son he still has.

I dunno, I think it would've been a neat opportunity for some uncommon character dynamics. And a living dad would've been so cool. But it was always a pipe dream, of course.

Honestly I'd just take Seforia in a patch. Sean doesn't even have his own model, from the neck down he's a generic, I have zero hope. But Seforia really just needs to get supports and Somniel lines done and she's all ready to go. She even has a class assigned to her in the game files, apparently - she's a wyvern knight (Éve too, incidentally, she's a high priest). I would be so happy to call her Jeritza 2 rather than Judith 2.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hide contents

Haha, well, to be fair, the Morion part is kind of an exaggeration... Though I will make a half-hearted case for Diamant. At least outwardly (I did not use him or see any of his supports), he seems like just your average very strong, serious and competent crown prince. It's been seen before, and Engage is often derided for being too safe a story.

Imagine if, instead of Morion predictably dying five minutes after his introduction, Diamant had saved him at the last minute but was taken and sacrificed in his place. Then Alcryst has to deal with the fact that his reliable older brother is gone and the future of Brodia is now in his hands, and Morion has to endure the horror of losing his child due to his own recklessness and try his best to keep going for the son he still has.

I dunno, I think it would've been a neat opportunity for some uncommon character dynamics. And a living dad would've been so cool. But it was always a pipe dream, of course.

Honestly I'd just take Seforia in a patch. Sean doesn't even have his own model, from the neck down he's a generic, I have zero hope. But Seforia really just needs to get supports and Somniel lines done and she's all ready to go. She even has a class assigned to her in the game files, apparently - she's a wyvern knight (Éve too, incidentally, she's a high priest). I would be so happy to call her Jeritza 2 rather than Judith 2.

Spoiler

That would've sucked. Greatly. I like Diamant far better than Morion. I get the desire for Seforia, she's cool and had no real impact, but Morion is just another silly king with silly choices. And he paid for it accordingly. I would've been pissed to lose one of the best designed characters sacked for his annoying father that couldn't put his pride away. Diamant is a little more than your average serious and competent crown prince, he's one of the better written characters in Engage. 

I get the vision. It's not that bad as a concept but it would've 100% fell on its face and create a really hated modern Fire Emblem character. Diamant was designed from the getgo as a favorite and for that favorite to die a dumb death because of the less appealing father would've been a catastrophe. 

Edited by Seazas

2 minutes ago, Seazas said:

Hide contents

That would've sucked. Greatly. I like Diamant far better than Morion. I get the desire for Seforia, she's cool and had no real impact, but Morion is just another silly king with silly choices. And he paid for it accordingly. I would've been pissed to lose one of the best designed characters sacked for his annoying father that couldn't put his pride away. Diamant is a little more than your average serious and competent crown prince, he's one of the better written characters in Engage. 

Spoiler

Hmm. Fair enough. I will have to give Diamant a chance next run. Stupid deployment slots are way too limited...

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hide contents

Hmm. Fair enough. I will have to give Diamant a chance next run. Stupid deployment slots are way too limited...

Spoiler

I totally get the love for Morion. I like him too, he would not have gone over well at all though if Diamant died for him. That'd create a whole 'nother problem and I would foresee him being another Gilbert. Extremely disliked even if he's well written.

And now for something completely different: Mitan. You know, the nothing berserker boss from Anna's paralogue. Her design is top tier and made me wish for Fates capture until the game came out and I was forced to accept it would not be a thing.

16 minutes ago, Seazas said:
  Hide contents

I totally get the love for Morion. I like him too, he would not have gone over well at all though if Diamant died for him. That'd create a whole 'nother problem and I would foresee him being another Gilbert. Extremely disliked even if he's well written.

Spoiler

Yeah that's a fair point, I can see how it would've gone that way had it been done as I said. Gilbert's poor reception confirmed as the reason Engage's story takes no risks ever?

14 hours ago, Armchair General said:

I'm probably the only guy who wanted an rematch against Nelucce, come to think of it

No, actually. Dude looks pretty cool. Honestly, might as well - Zephia murders him because she doesn't accept failure or something like that, I don't remember her exact words... and then she and her "family" proceed to spend what, 18 chapters in a row failing over and over? Nelucce must've been laughing his ass off in Hell.

24 minutes ago, Seazas said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Honestly, fair point. I also forsee that he could potentially make Diamant redundant from a unit perspective if both are playable. 

16 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No, actually. Dude looks pretty cool. Honestly, might as well - Zephia murders him because she doesn't accept failure or something like that, I don't remember her exact words... and then she and her "family" proceed to spend what, 18 chapters in a row failing over and over? Nelucce must've been laughing his ass off in Hell.

That's totally the case. I'm really sick of this old trope we still see in too much things nowadays. When the baddie kills his own army because, you know, he's a real baddie. Bad bad bad guy! I find it so lame and bad writing. I'm surprised that nowadays' writers can still come up with that shit. Especially when, as you say, they keep failing over and over for the rest of the story. It's so funny that at some point, when I saw the four hounds again, I was like "Hi losers! Okay, you want to get your ass beaten again?". From Griss's perspective, as he's masochist, that could make sense. But the others....they're just so useless.

On 2/9/2023 at 9:19 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Zephia murders him because she doesn't accept failure or something like that, I don't remember her exact words

It was something along the lines of "people who serve me only fail me once"

On 2/9/2023 at 9:19 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

and then she and her "family" proceed to spend what, 18 chapters in a row failing over and over?

It's actually been while since I touched the game. But where I'm at, I'm under the impression that she's deliberately letting the heroes find all of the rings, since they barely made an move on Solm,beforehand

On 2/10/2023 at 2:03 AM, Hiroki said:

That's totally the case. I'm really sick of this old trope we still see in too much things nowadays. When the baddie kills his own army because, you know, he's a real baddie. Bad bad bad guy! I find it so lame and bad writing

At least people like Vader have an reason to do stuff like that, but it mainly exists in Empire Strikes Back and that one season of Rebels. But it still raises the question of how do you deal with the Peter Principle, though