Saint Rubenio

Dx3l6fyi_o.png

Hello! I am Saint Rubenio. This isn't exactly going to be a LP. It'll be more of a progress log, but I didn't really know where else to put this.

Anyway, to business. For years, I have called myself the worst tactician to have ever lived. Long has this been a mere boast, however. Too long. Today, I begin my quest to prove it once and for all. I will take Berwick Saga, my favorite strategy game ever, and beat it as poorly as humanly possible. I will do everything wrong. Ain't that gonna be fun.

Objectives:

• Obviously, get as few rank points as I can. This means:
    • I cannot play any sidequests, screwing me out of many rewards and multiple characters.
    •  I cannot perform any citizen requests, screwing me out of many rewards and multiple characters.
    • I cannot achieve any objectives that would result in tactics points, delaying Reese's promotion and screwing me out of multiple characters.
    • I cannot allow any of my characters to be happy. In multiple cases, this means characters have to die, screwing me out of multiple characters.
    • There is a limit to how many bounties, Erzheimer items, forges and furniture I can get before I obtain an action point.
    • Fun, huh.
  • Obtain the death rewards. If I have to massacre so many of my babies to make the rest depressed, I'd like to get SOMETHING out of it, at least.
  • I could avoid some happiness points by merely skipping the ending events, but that's cheap. Same goes for avoiding promotion. I will do my best to solve both of these problems with death rather than scene skipping.
  • Show rare scenes people are less likely to see. I expect I'll have gotten a couple of these by the end of this mess.
  • Hope I'm not forgetting anything.
  • EDIT: Guess what, I forgot something. Refraining from activating citizen requests causes changes to happen to the map. This would make my life easier, and we don't want that, do we? Therefore, I will view every pre-battle event that I get. It will be up to me to then fail to fulfill the objectives.

And now, without further ado...

Chapter 1-main

Chapter 1-main is... the same as ever. There are no tactics ranks to avoid, saving Laszlo and Katya does not count as a citizen request and overall, nothing in this map grants ranks. It's just a normal, cozy game of Berwick Saga. Don't expect that to last.

8xDshnth_o.png

The most notable part of this map was that Adel gained a spear point. Awesome! Speaking of him, let's talk about the units. Starting not with him.

Reese and Ward are going to be a more constant presence in this run, just because I can't play most of the maps where they aren't available. Good for them. Reese's promotion will be woefully late, but otherwise I expect they'll function mostly the same as they usually do.

Adel and Leon are awesome because I can avoid their happiness point by avoiding action and fame points. Adel and Leon are not awesome because they are Adel and Leon and their promotions are very meme. Still, I like my boy Adel. I'm glad I don't have to ruin his life. He can live without a girlfriend. It's a better fate than most of the cast will have suffered by the end.

Sherlock is in a similar situation. I can only get his good ending by playing a sidequest, and sidequests are stinky, so he gets to live single. Thank goodness too, I'll be wanting his bow.

Elbert and Christine pose our first problem that cannot be solved peacefully. If they both survive, Ward gets his happiness point. Nobody can be allowed to be happy. Therefore, I must kill one of them. I have not yet decided which. Leaning Christine right now. No Clifford or Thaddy means Elbert's the only provoker I'll have, and I do get a couple units to handle bows. I guess I can live without the rapid crossbow... In any case, I cannot kill her off just yet, as she must live long enough to pick up Esteban.

For a moment I thought I'd have to kill Izerna, but as it turns out, her happiness depends on Perceval and Enid getting their ending, so she's pretty free. Lemme tell you, Enid does not have a bright future ahead of her. The happiness of not one, but multiple characters rides on her survival. She absolutely cannot be allowed to live. Sorry, Roswick!

Dean is one of the best units in the game. However, he gets happiness just by changing class. This means I either kill him, or just don't do his promotion event, but as I said in the OP, I would like not to do something so cheap as merely skipping events. It defeats the purpose of this run, which is to be an utterly incompetent psychopath. Don't grow too attached to him. I'm not sure when he dies, but he dies.

Chapter 1-1

Oh, right. I can't play any sidequests. That means no Sylvis, no Arthur, no Ruby which I'm pretty sure means no Clifford...

TTdYktJI_o.pngqr7D06im_o.png

...This is going to be interesting...

Chapter 1-2

uW7dkfcP_o.png

...Very interesting...

(No, accepting the mission and then declining does not make Arthur and Ruby appear at the guild. I tried it.)

Might as well talk about the characters now, though. You know, the ones I do have.

Axel can be hired starting with this map. Axel's utility is great and I probably will get great use of him going forward. The problem is... Okay, I hate to say this. I really, really hate to say this. I love Axel. He's my favorite character in the game. I want nothing more than eternal happiness for him and his daughter. However... Their fate is sealed. Either I don't complete his chapter 9 event, in which case his daughter likely suffers a terrible... "accident", or I do it and then am forced to kill Axel. I probably will keep him around for a long time, but he cannot see the end of the game...

Volo is one of the best units in the game. However, he gets happiness just by joining. This means I either kill him or... Dejá vù, anyone? Volo is very good and I'll likely be needing him. I think I'll recruit him and kill him off in the later stages of the game. Plus, I get to show off the Leticia event! Might as well do it. Faye is so thoroughly screwed over by the rules of this run that I expect she and Faramir will serve as Königswolf fodder early enough. I don't know, there are a lot of things I don't know. This may be tougher than I expected...

And that's all for tonight. I will probably post on a daily basis if I can. Seeing how I'm going to be playing less than half the game, this should progress quickly enough. Wish me luck, and if you've any suggestions or ideas, I will be happy to hear them!

Edited by Saint Rubenio
Yeah, I forgot a rule. So much for hoping...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:
  • I cannot play any sidequests, screwing me out of many rewards and multiple characters.

P A I N

•  I cannot perform any citizen requests, screwing me out of many rewards and multiple characters.
  • I cannot achieve any objectives that would result in tactics points, delaying Reese's promotion and screwing me out of multiple characters.

P A I N P E K O

• Fun, huh.
  •  

I am not so sure about that lol

no Sylvis,

If no Sylvis are you even Berwick'ing

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Anyway, to business. For years, I have called myself the worst tactician to have ever lived. Long has this been a mere boast, however. Too long. Today, I begin my quest to prove it once and for all. I will take Berwick Saga, my favorite strategy game ever, and beat it as poorly as humanly possible. I will do everything wrong. Ain't that gonna be fun.

I feel sorry for how much pain you must inflict upon yourself.

Will Derrick suffer?

That means no Sylvis, no Arthur, no Ruby which I'm pretty sure means no Clifford...

That's a lot of loss right there.

Volo is very good and I'll likely be needing him. I think I'll recruit him and kill him off in the later stages of the game. Plus, I get to show off the Leticia event!

Lul.

Volo being a feature of the run is a change from the LP that's for sure.

Edited by Punished Dayni

This is going to be painful to watch. And even worse for you to play. The mere sight of you skipping precious side missions makes me twinge, probably 1/10000000000000th of how it does for you.

I wish you luck with this intentional bucking of all good and rational sensibility. 

Although, to be semantic, I don't think you'd be the unqualified worst tactician. The absolute worst tactician loses, you will still -hopefully- be winning to the very end. Perhaps "most pyrrhic" is the better phrase? Winning, but with the greatest degree of disastrousness. Victories where the triumph of the moment rings most hollow, achingly knowing you will have gained little and forsaken so much.

Chapter 2-main

4HXKLB1h_o.png

Czene, Faye and Kramer show up on turn 1. I am so happy for them. Let's talk about them:

Czene requires a sidequest to join. If this sidequest is avoided by having her not speak to Reese, she disappears after this map. Czene is not long for this world.

Faye requires a sidequest to join, promote AND recruit a different character. She will live for now, but only because I need Faramir to be hireable so I can kill both in one fell swoop. First him, then her. Maximize the death count. Although the way things are going, I'm starting to think it might be wiser to keep all the units I can get...

Kramer requires a sidequest to join. Same as Faye, ideally I'd want to kill him soon, but on the other hand, I desperately need units, so I might have to keep him around. We'll see.

UFubn8Rf_o.png

First off, Czene charges at the group of enemies below her starting position. It takes a few turns, but eventually...

W4bw5N65_o.png

First blood!

The first half of this chapter is more or less the same as ever. I didn't visit the house, but other than that, it was a simple charge forward. Axel swam across the river and took out Pizarro while the rest made their way to the shallows. Volo took care of the upper half, particularly Zalius. Very badly, he had to run for the hills to get healed by Izerna, but eventually he pulled it off. Man, Zalius is scary...

The first hurdle is Valentin. I can score a few bounties before I get a ranking point, but Valentin is an exception. Taking care of him specifically is a citizen request, therefore I must let him live. The problem? Since he's the first bounty, the game goes easy on you and places him right in the middle of the way. Which is doubly bad because tactics points on this map are obtained by clearing it faster. I have to intentionally wait the timer out, and keep Valentin busy all the while.

rF2DlJqA_o.png

The obvious solution would've been to keep him in check with provoke. Even gave Elbert a horse for that at the start. In the end, though, I decided to have Axel swoop in from across the river and lure Valentin west. If he gets in serious trouble, he can swim to the other side and take a breather.

j7xetWRV_o.png

This... happened pretty much immediately. Thank goodness Izerna is slow as molasses and was still halfway through the mud. In the right place to patch up Axel! Totally as planned!

sbbTQkrN_o.png

...Oh, c'mon--

XkeMyFRb_o.png

Okay, fine. Still totally as planned.

qwSlQpP7_o.png

NO HOW DID I DO IT AGAIN!?

tXYTFxKZ_o.png

That's enough already. Die, you useless sack of-- moving on.

5AsUKBO3_o.png

...This happened. Valentin missed, Axel retaliated and injured him. A pulverization from Axel left him at 2 HP at this point, so of course, I just had to try. See if the RNGoddess truly has such a sadistic sense of humor.

And, guess what! Sure enough...

0CmW535f_o.png

It's a free crippling. Zero RNG manipulation and zero set up. I just get a free capture on Valentin handed to me. May I remind you, one that I cannot take because of the challenge I'm doing.

Of course. I should've known.

huGpm9lD_o.png

The good thing about having to delay the end of the map is that Reese gets to waste a bunch of turns trying to kill an archer for experience instead of having to rush toward the fort. Yeah, that really makes up for everything else that sucks about this run.

GRM4Pi72_o.png

Reese failed for so long that the archer had enough time to break his bow, too. It's like the game's laughing at me. We're only in chapter 2, for goodness's sake!

CUKH3Uri_o.png

Sigh... Oh yeah, there goes the thief with Savat the armorer's ring, too. Not to worry though, I'm sure he has a portrait to remember his wife by.

6xLiTh9I_o.pngoFADocon_o.png

Then Fuva appeared and gave me a heart attack.

VKp5JrkM_o.png

Jesus Chirst on a bike, passing through? You call that passing through? Passing your blade through Reese's cold, black heart, more like! He paid dearly for it later, at Axel's hands. I was hoping for a blood knife, but thinking about it, I'm not sure if Axel even has enough level to get it. No matter, he did score a point of axe skill for his trouble.

J6UA3XJL_o.png

To wrap things up, the game finally lets up on me and allows me to capture Tarrevan. This nets me a free muscle brace and a breaker axe that nobody will use for ages. Small victories?

tBYTbGLo_o.png

Oho! I still get Clifford, even with Ruby dead! Can't recruit him, obviously, but he's still going to be a huge boon.

...I CAN'T GET DERRICK

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

UajL0xhF_o.png

Oh, and naturally, since Czene was technically a guest unit in chapter 2-main, she does not appear in the graveyard. I don't even get to make progress toward the death items.

Ahh... Oh, why did I ever decide to start this nonsense?

20 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

P A I N

P A I N P E K O

Yes, indeed, I concur.

20 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

If no Sylvis are you even Berwick'ing

I don't really know what I'm doing. It's not Berwick'ing, I mean, no Sylvis, no Derrick... But there is Axel, at least! For now! That's something!

18 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

I feel sorry for how much pain you must inflict upon yourself.

Thanks.

Will Derrick suffer?

Derrick is nowhere to be found.

That's a lot of loss right there.

Right? If only that was the end of it.

Lul.

Volo being a feature of the run is a change from the LP that's for sure.

How the turntables, huh. Good thing I've had years and runs aplenty to grow fond of the man, in spite of appearances.

17 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This is going to be painful to watch. And even worse for you to play. The mere sight of you skipping precious side missions makes me twinge, probably 1/10000000000000th of how it does for you.

Oh, don't underestimate my pain. I had to watch Sylvis and Derrick go bye-bye-- No, not quite, I had to intentionally make them go bye-bye. I had to force my hand not to perform exceptions.

...You know, I do have to wonder how chapter 5 will be handled now, with Sylvis gone but not dead. You know what would be really funny? If she became available there instead. Oh that would be so funny, game, c'mon do it.

I wish you luck with this intentional bucking of all good and rational sensibility. 

Thanks! I probably will need it.

Although, to be semantic, I don't think you'd be the unqualified worst tactician. The absolute worst tactician loses, you will still -hopefully- be winning to the very end. Perhaps "most pyrrhic" is the better phrase? Winning, but with the greatest degree of disastrousness. Victories where the triumph of the moment rings most hollow, achingly knowing you will have gained little and forsaken so much.

A victory without Derrick is no victory at all. That is all I have to say.

11 hours ago, BrightBow said:

No Volo. No Dean. No Faye...

If nothing else stops this run, I imagine Chaos will.

Eh, don't be so sure. I've defeated him with Reese before. It's a pain, but not impossible.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

38 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's a free crippling. Zero RNG manipulation and zero set up. I just get a free capture on Valentin handed to me. May I remind you, one that I cannot take because of the challenge I'm doing.

It's still the best outcome for you. Now he can't get in your way anymore and will likely try to leave the map.

39 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

6xLiTh9I_o.png

He comes down there? Judging by his dialog, I always assumed he had the "Move towards a location and attack enemies adjacent to the tile you land on" AI. But I guess he is actually moving towards the nearest enemy?
Maybe he will still try to flee once he takes a bit of a beating.

0CmW535f_o.png

This run taunts you.

Oho! I still get Clifford, even with Ruby dead! Can't recruit him, obviously, but he's still going to be a huge boon.

...I CAN'T GET DERRICK

..... I need to correct myself, it haunts you.

UajL0xhF_o.png

Oh, and naturally, since Czene was technically a guest unit in chapter 2-main, she does not appear in the graveyard. I don't even get to make progress toward the death items.

Well that's a bit crummy now.

Is she just left behind where she died then?

And that pretty much confirms you want to kill them after their first map (I said recruitment here, forgetting for a moment what that meant in Berwick's case.

Edited by Punished Dayni

So uh

I had intended to post about chapter 3-main today, but uh... there have been, uh...

rD7LWwng_o.png

...Complications.

On 2/14/2023 at 8:11 PM, BrightBow said:

It's still the best outcome for you. Now he can't get in your way anymore and will likely try to leave the map.

That's true, but... sheesh, it still feels so meanspirited of the game.

On 2/14/2023 at 8:11 PM, BrightBow said:

He comes down there? Judging by his dialog, I always assumed he had the "Move towards a location and attack enemies adjacent to the tile you land on" AI.

I as well, but it seems he's willing to charge into the danger if it means he can shank Reese out of existence. Just barely failed too, jeez...

On 2/14/2023 at 9:50 PM, Punished Dayni said:

This run taunts you.

..... I need to correct myself, it haunts you.

Oh you ain't seen nothing yet.

Well that's a bit crummy now.

Is she just left behind where she died then?

I hadn't stopped to think about that.

...Probably.

And that pretty much confirms you want to kill them after their first map (I said recruitment here, forgetting for a moment what that meant in Berwick's case.

Yeah, when they are guest units, they are technically not Reese's problem, so he doesn't bother carting their corpses back to Navaron for burial.

Hell (Self-inflicted)

This one's just really funny. I set out to prove I am the worst tactician to have ever lived, and instead I have proven I am the stupidest person to have ever had bad ideas while playing a videogame.

No, seriously. This entire chapter was miserable and it's all my fault.

Before that, though, let's talk about units. Specifically, Clifford is up for grabs starting now. Clifford is an insanely powerful unit in the base game, with the most difficult permanent recruitment requirements to compensate. Since Ruby is in a better place than this godawful run, however, the second part is irrelevant. I'm likely to need his help in a couple missions. Not this one, though. I have Ward and I like my money.

a84R4DoA_o.png

So, chapter 3!

aJ2EmaBV_o.pngGITpxgAx_o.png

It starts with this banger of a level. Way to go, Reese. You too, Dean... Even if you aren't likely to get to use those stats for long.

The good news is, the challenge makes the map easier in this case. You'd think this should be the case just in general, huh. Not having to go for the best possible outcomes? It's not always that simple. In this case, however, I get to let Orbell get his useless ass handed to him on a silver platter. Like so.

ntgdoULX_o.png

Dude was beyond unlucky, too. Got wiped out before he could even make it to Igos. I even Warded him for a little bit so he'd distract more pirates, but he just didn't last. Good riddance, I say. He's my least favorite of the three priests.

y70kW3tw_o.png

The other two do need protection. Sakhalin must make it to the chaotic manor before he dies, to jumpstart the Leticia event. To that end, I sent half of the team with him. Look, it's Rodin! Ward would usually be hanging out on this side of the map to speak to him. Since we don't want that, however...

fevigCTb_o.png

He is up here with his squad of initially-mute starters, saving Grimm from a very, VERY close call. You can tell I wanted Grimm to be safe because Izerna went with him. And why do I want him to be safe, you don't ask because if you're reading this you most likely know your Berwick and are well aware of this?

zoPiYOYX_o.png

The answer is simple: Owen is a character that is capable of becoming available. All he requires is that Grimm speak to him at the church and then live to tell the tale. I'm pretty sure. Second part might not be true, I can't say I've ever tried it. In any case, since I need one priest to make it, the choice was obvious.

Some unremarkable fighting took place. Leon and Volo, respectively, blocked the reinforcements so I could do the next part easily.

md0SMSPu_o.png

And now for the hard part. I need to perform the Leticia event, which requires that Sakhalin reaches the manor without Faye doing her event with Chaos. This can be done by killing Faye, but I want her alive so I can kill Faramir as well for extra graves. So instead... This is why Dean is here. He shall whack some sense into the good edgelord!

yWu5A3bF_o.png

...Uh, or he'll die trying. Sure.

bMfLKeTG_o.png

I mean, I never did say this would be an ironman, did I? I think this run is insane enough as it is. Let's try that again!

Mt4j0J2f_o.png

Dean deals 10 damage a vengeful pop to Chaos.

eF5Zeu9y_o.png

Luckily, I can lock Sakhalin in place by placing three units on the road in front of him. He won't be a problem.

You know what will be a problem, though?

lF7f5mFm_o.png

Dean doesn't heal enough from vulneraries. Of course. Planning, everyone!

yTXqty77_o.png

...Let's do that later. For now, to charge the fort before Grimm runs in the boss's range.

c4CCXs4k_o.png

Ward, Sherlock and Elbert should be able to handle this with a little pincer attack.

vBDf44I4_o.png

Oh, for the love of-- Ward!

zIDmHg1O_o.png

Useless pile of garbage, die! Putting Ward in risk of death, even if a really low one... The Endgame Ready Beard!

4vnrdf0H_o.png

Around this time, Axel's iron axe broke. I hadn't bought him another because I am a bad tactician. Y'know, that's kind of the whole point here. He's got Tarrevan's breaker axe, but with its humongous rank, I doubt he'll get much use out of it...

GXtA0SCi_o.png

Ahh, that's much better. Thanks, hairy old man! Now we are ready to--

LqZGHrCw_o.png

--fail horribly at keeping you from killing yourself.

8ov51aNZ_o.pngttcvLbql_o.png

Luckily, Ward is on the case! He takes his second mighty hit of the day. His poor, "old" bones...

RSINd4ak_o.pngiYGcuNQm_o.png

I neutralized him with some provocations from Elbert. The following turn, I had Ward whack him with the harpoon. It was then easy to cripple and capture him for extra funds. I've actually counted them - it is straight up impossible for me to get enough bounties to obtain an action rank point. The only bounties I can get without embarking on sidequests are Agvan here, Garos, Pisaro, Vasquez and Morrow. That's five, and an action point is awarded every six bounties. So I guess that's neat.

Sherlock picked him up, by the way. It's slowly started to dawn on me that, with the very few maps I can play, promotion's going to be a pipe dream for most people. Sherlock though, he has a chance, and his promotion being one of the most impactful in the game, I really, really would like to get him there. So I'm going to try and give him some good kills and captures where I can.

AAw7OjC9_o.png

Ahh, another instance of my terrible, terrible tactics. The quest to prove my worth as the Worst Tactician is chuggin' along without incident!

pDA092WF_o.pngb0HWNXCL_o.png

Axel impresses me by not only managing to successfully use the breaker axe to pulverize a brigand, but also pilfering his axe for personal use! Not bad. I mean, bandit axes are horrendous, but hey! Less horrendous than the breaker axe right now.

(I'm pretty sure the only use he got out of the bandit axe was killing that one archer there, but let's not dwell)

X4AYDoXH_o.png2J0hKibE_o.png

I was terrified for the future, but Grimm proved his badassery by dodging two axes, allowing me to reach the turn 20 save.

MsPpQsGZ_o.png

Esteban then appears. You'd think that a citizen request called "Arina's plea" would mean a ranking point, but... nope. According to Serenes - and it has to be right because I did the math and it adds up to the total ranking points - this request does not grant ranking points. Which means we can actually nab Esteban! Christine took care of that immediately.

QceEIOtZ_o.pngTY1qYgkN_o.png

With some help from Sherlock, Grimm's makes it to the temple. Good work! And now...

zAvtl44k_o.png

Garos time. I intend to capture him, too. He's the most valuable of the bounties I can get, not to mention one of the most valuable bounties in the game period. I want to make all the extra buck I can, in lieu of all the sidequest loot I can't get my hands on. Ward stands the least terrible chance to hit him with the harpoon, but I need someone weak enough to deal less than 8 damage to him afterwards.

KG1lFJIp_o.pngHiHHXWTj_o.png

To that end, I engineered a little set-up to confuse the AI. You see, Garos tries to escape to the south-east. If I block the bridge, Garos detects that there's an open path to the exit if he goes all the way around the lake, so he doubles back. A turn later, I open the way again, and he returns to his usual course. I can take all the time I need like this.

cOaF41Aj_o.png

Using this trick, I was able to get Reese closer. Reese can do it with the shortsword, I'm sure.

ZQzitAKc_o.png

After only 3 attempts, Ward manages to injure Garos. Who said Berwick capture is too RNG?

SLdMovKi_o.png

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Reese kills him exactly. I mistook his speed for his strength. His speed is exactly one point lower, you see.

Sigh... Of course. Back to the drawing board...

BKJTD2TM_o.pngvt3mESEL_o.png

After a lot of AI exploiting, planning and positioning, I finally managed to create this set up.

WBuqPxOC_o.png

A set-up that allowed me to cripple the guy at last. You know how long it took me? C'mon, guess. Just, stop reading for a moment. Take a mental note of the amount of times you think I had to reload the save to get this done. Then scroll down. I'll wait. Metaphorically speaking.

75 attempts. I had to reload 75 times. And I'm pretty sure I must've miscounted, it ought to be at least 3 or 4 reloads higher, but that's the best I got. 20 minutes of my life, but hey! Big bucks.

And you know the funniest part? That's not even the biggest time-waster in this mission. Ooohhh, no, let's talk about Chaos.

3KjzqgW6_o.png

I really like healing animations in Berwick. They are very pleasant on the eyes. You know what I don't like? For some reason only Kaga knows, whereas you can choose to skip or view full animations for combat on the battle forecast, you can't do the same for healing. Healing can either be set, or not set on the menu. And settings are tied to the save file, so I had to emulator speed through this, every single time I reloaded. This image quickly became my bane.

And there were reloads. Boy, were there ever reloads. Between Dean getting murdered by crits or missing and getting doubled, Chaos missing, Dean getting crippled, Sakhalin getting out of hand, Dean failing to proc Vengeance despite having a like ten thousand percent chance to get it and who knows how many other nonsense, this took SO much effort. Genius plays at play!

6RJ3X3Pw_o.png

I couldn't even finish him. I ended up getting myself into a scenario where it was straight up impossible for Dean to survive any longer. In the winning run he ended up getting captured instead of dying. I actually like this less. I would've liked for him to be the first to join the cemetery. But... Eh, maybe it's a blessing in disguise. I wouldn't have mourned him had he perished, but I think I can get more use out of him than, say... Kramer. Yeah...

5sadFLWZ_o.pngkaAAvNc3_o.png

The end of Dean does not mean the end of my hopes and dreams, however. Volo and Ward were ready to pick up the slack.

C'mon, guys, it's only 6 HP! You can do it! Show him who is the true edgelord!

S8OWobvo_o.png

Show him who is the true endgame boss!

V6JnpDnd_o.png

Hwahahahahahahahahah! I would have expected no less of the Endgame Ready Beard! I mean, the amount of resets it took to get to this point was... astronomical, but I could have asked for no greater finisher than this.

iKHrrPMX_o.png

Clearly...

z62G5LNq_o.png

The funniest part is that it might still take him the entire game to get that 5 EXP. Such is the life of Ward. Still, he doesn't need it. He's Endgame Ready thanks to his Beard. Plus, this way he gets bragging rights. And I get bragging rights, so I am satisfied.

5wcl8C4b_o.pngQpyFSDbA_o.png

Look at him run. He's just a chicken, cheep cheep cheep cheep!

NFQhzBa6_o.png

With this, Sakhalin is able to reach the manor and begin the Leticia event. I already transcribed this way back when, for my old LP. Lemme fetch that real quick, save myself some trouble...

1tphdo13 o

V7kzwbde oRrzaztee o

O7gbifr0 oGehehe... We've already gone too far to stop now, little lady! All you oughta be sayin' now is "Yes, please!" like a good girl!

6kwyiubv oGoddess, save me...

Z743nawc o

O7gbifr0 oEh? Whaddya want? Butt out, old-timer!

Nznduy1v oThree evil men and one poor girl... Even if heaven may one day forgive you, this old-timer never will!

O7gbifr0 oHeh, whatever you say, pops. What's a dried-up old man like you gonna do? Just sit tight and don't bother us while we do our work. This is a delicate situation, y'know? I don't want you distractin' us...

Nznduy1v oHold your tongue, foul beast! In the name of the Goddess, I will strike you all down!

O7gbifr0 oFine, let's get this over with... Gimme your best shot, pops!

Gfj7fsce o

Karp8o9p o

Zjdvlhxd o

Vhrev8ur oLpfmsalo o

Ggg6nk6v oIxepvxqq o

Xuqefrf5 o9zxdgc8s o

Excuse the edit. I did things like that in my LPs, if you didn't know. Just pretend the ugly orange gradient isn't there.

Amifgj09 o

Olz9y29v oWe gotta get outta here!

Sbmzlnsq oDammit, old man! We'll get you for this!

Nznduy1v oWill you, now? Come and try me!

Sbmzlnsq oA-All right, you win! I give up, just please spare me from your magic...!

Dgxu9f5x o

T9yb33vz o

Nznduy1v oAre you all right, miss?

6kwyiubv oY-Yes, thanks to you... Thank you so much, Father.

Nznduy1v oWhat is a young lady like yourself doing all alone in such a dangerous place like this? Is it anything that I would be able to help you with?

6kwyiubv o...I came here from Turon with some bodyguards. I am traveling to meet with someone in Navaron. But those men... they turned on me once we made it here...

Nznduy1v oHow unfortunate, that the very men you asked to protect you betrayed your trust... May I ask who this person is that you are going to meet?

Zshi26z6 o

6kwyiubv oBecause of my bodyguards, I have gone far off-course, but I intend to continue on to Navaron now.

Nznduy1v oIs that so? How serendipitous!

Nznduy1v oThat is where my companions and I intend to return, as well. Please remain here for a short time, and I will come back for you once we make our way back to Navaron.

6kwyiubv oReally?! Thank you so much!

BQjXJm6l_o.png

And now, to stop this veritable hero from escaping this place alive. The observant reader might've noticed the one pirate earlier. For 45 turns, pirates come out of the fort. I remembered just in time that I still needed one enemy to kill Sakhalin after his role was fulfilled, so I allowed Volo to move his ass from the entrance. Turns out some of these pirates carry coins well beyond the point most reasonable people would've already left the map. The more you know. Anyway, I kept the last one distracted with some provocations while Dean worked his magic.

lU79rCz5_o.png

Chapter 3-main wasn't done taking an industrial drill to my posterior, though. It turns out that Sakhalin equips his hellfire orb during that cutscene. Awesome, gameplay-story integration! Except it's fucked me. It's fucked me completely. It already took me like, over a whole-ass hour of back and forth to get Garos and Chaos. I don't need this on top of that.

HE EVEN HAS MIRACLE, WHY AM I DOING THIS TO MYSELF--

U49Buzqz_o.png

Fortunately, after some time, I realized I can just bait him into healing someone so he swaps back to his heal orb. Phew... I mean, it still took a few turns worth of earlygame pirate whiffing, but it was a lot less tedious than constant resets.

ZhKOx2p4_o.pngXG4tId2Y_o.png

Oh my fucking Christ, it's over. It's finally over... Hoo, "enough time" is right, Reese. Over 70 turns...

All right, but now it's over. Now I get to reap what I've sown. Let's go! First off...

xlFSuoJl_o.png

Oh, right, ransom you out. Okay, okay, whatever, go...

GnMFlM3Y_o.png

Next, I give Halfmann the darkmend orb so that I fail Erzheimer's request. Unless Serenes is lying to me (and again, the math adds up), the request for the orb counts as a citizen request that gives an action point, but should I fail that, I could give him the orb and have it count only towards the total count of items given to Erzheimer, giving me a much better cap of five items I can give him before getting a point.

03GxEOEa_o.png

Plus, I get different dialogue!

RBcLVND4_o.png...Were you able to find the orb that I requested, perchance?

3cxl4Xfi_o.pngI am sad to disappoint you, but my subordinates and I have not been able to find one for you. My apologies. I suppose I shall take my leave...

RBcLVND4_o.pngJust a moment, please! You may not have found one yet, but I believe that you, Sir Ward, can make the impossible possible!

3cxl4Xfi_o.pngYou are quite mistaken...

Is he, though? Is he?

RBcLVND4_o.pngSimply with a single failure, even two, one cannot fall to despair and lose all dignity as a knight--nay, as a man! Is that not so, Sir Ward?!

3cxl4Xfi_o.pngI-I suppose you're right...

Ahh, the power of toxic masculinity! That got our bearded friend going. Either that or he just wants Erzie to get out of his hair.

RBcLVND4_o.pngSir Ward, as I mentioned to you the other day, there are still many things not yet present in my collection.

And after this it's the same as normal, I'm pretty sure.

XluAetBn_o.png3UFdIx2C_o.png

...Though I don't remember them saying these two lines. That's a fun response from Ward, kinda wish he did say it in the other version. Then again, the other version does have the erotic line, so all's well.

ExebK6aj_o.png

I ended up not giving him the darkmend immediately, as it's a rather low-paying item, but I did retrieve it from hock. 50 denarii lost is a triffle and I might want to give it to him later, depending on how things turn out. I did, however, give him Garos's knife. He offered a pretty sweet amount for that one.

After the business with Erzie is concluded, I passed by the guild and cashed in my bounties. This all left my finances at a hefty 43k.

62ihFlxA_o.png

See, 43k, give or take!

Notice that there's no city event for Volo.

This isn't because I skipped it.

It's because it didn't happen.

It required Sakhalin to survive, didn't it.

Ha...

Haha...

Ahaa, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA fuck me and my ideas, seriously, why did I start this crap.

...IT'S MY BIRTHDAY TODAY, WHAT KIND OF A BIRTHDAY GIFT IS THIS, KAGA-- No, no, it's okay. It's my fault. Live and learn.

At least I get to say I killed Chaos in chapter 3 with Ward.

T0NCu9tE_o.png

Let's just... let's just get some furniture to cheer myself up.

PC79xcC1_o.png

For 36000, the treasure chest. I ran the math on this in another run. You see, at first glance, the chest is worthless. Once per chapter, it gives either a silver coin, which is terrible considering the base cost of the chest, or a golden coin, which is also terrible given the base cost of the chest.

It can, however, also grant a treasure chest. Yeah, a treasure chest inside a treasure chest. If you keep a save before advancing the chapter, you can RNG abuse until the chest gives it up every time. 36000 / 5000 = 7 chapters until you break a profit.

lfoQ0owP_o.png

Make that 8 chapters, because it is guaranteed to drop the shieldknife the first time it is opened. That means shieldknife on 3, then 7 treasures up to chapter 10... I'll start profiting on chapter 11. Money becomes a lot more scarce as the game goes on, so I think I'll appreciate having a few thousands of extra cash at that point than an overkill amount now. This nonsense makes perfect sense in my head, I swear.

Oh, well. I suppose this is a pretty awesome knife, at least. Grants 33 crit and halves all damage taken. I was tempted to sell it, but then I remembered Esteban can use knives. His accuracy is lame, but you don't need to hit to get half damage. In fact, better to miss and preserve the knife's durability!

Here's the funny thing about Esteban, who is now available: Despite having not one, but two citizen requests involving him, they are both exceptions to the rule. Neither grants fame points. His recruitment event is also not the last event in his character arc - that one takes place in a sidequest. This means I can recruit him and promote him and keep him the entire game without issue. I am legitimately baffled.

I mean, not that Esteban is the best unit ever, but he'll do nicely as a back-up bow user. Not to mention, he might be able to do some really funny things with the shieldknife. He's the only one who can use it in this run!

EDIT: Okay not really an edit but still, I just made a discovery. I went to some of my other save files, and... Despite being listed on Serenes's citizen request list, the chapter 9 event with Esteban doesn't show up in the game's list. What does show up is Axel's event, Old Wounds. Math still adds up, there's 37 citizen requests in the game and a max fame rank of 35.

That's an odd mistake on Serenes's part. Now I'm rather afraid that Serenes is completely wrong and Esteban does count towards the fame rank. Man, wouldn't it be hilarious to fail the challenge three maps in because of a mistake in the guides? Hahaha, it would be so funny. I can't find out until the very end, that's hilarious, I'm dying here.

...Well I'm not doing all that again, so we'll just have to hope for the best. If worse comes to worst, at least that's something that can be fixed on the wiki. If it comes to that, I'll see if I can figure out who can get the Serenes wikis fixed. Even if this is right, the Old Wounds thing and Volo/Owen's recruitment requirements not listing the priests' survival could be fixed. Fail or fail harder, this should prove to be a valuable learning experience for us all. Plus, there'd be a certain bit of cosmic humor in failing the challenge to fail at the game...

11 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Do you need to do this? Can't you just let him kill Sakhalin?

I could have, but I wanted to do the Leticia event.

And then it turned out that the Leticia event doesn't happen if Sakhalin dies.

So uh... Yeah, that's a nice hour of my life I wasted. At least the Garos part still yielded a nice profit, but... sheesh, what absolute baloney. What's next? I'm wrong about Grimm too, he doesn't need to live for Owen to be recruitable? Serenes doesn't specify either of the priests need to survive for Owen/Volo's events, so... Anything goes.

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Before that, though, let's talk about units. Specifically, Clifford is up for grabs starting now. Clifford is an insanely powerful unit in the base game, with the most difficult permanent recruitment requirements to compensate. Since Ruby is in a better place than this godawful run, however, the second part is irrelevant. I'm likely to need his help in a couple missions.

Wait, I just realised. Who can you even have in the finale?

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

ttcvLbql_o.png

Luckily, Ward is on the case! He takes his second mighty hit of the day. His poor, "old" bones...

Agvan at that moment

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

b0HWNXCL_o.png

Axel impresses me by not only managing to successfully use the breaker axe to pulverize a brigand, but also pilfering his axe for personal use! Not bad. I mean, bandit axes are horrendous, but hey! Less horrendous than the breaker axe right now.

Axel looking to change professions with the reduction in water terrain's importance as the game proceeds.

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

WBuqPxOC_o.png

A set-up that allowed me to cripple the guy at last. You know how long it took me? C'mon, guess. Just, stop reading for a moment. Take a mental note of the amount of times you think I had to reload the save to get this done. Then scroll down. I'll wait. Metaphorically speaking.

75 attempts. I had to reload 75 times. And I'm pretty sure I must've miscounted, it ought to be at least 3 or 4 reloads higher, but that's the best I got. 20 minutes of my life, but hey! Big bucks.

Oh no.

Oh no, that's just so painful.

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

6RJ3X3Pw_o.png

I couldn't even finish him. I ended up getting myself into a scenario where it was straight up impossible for Dean to survive any longer. In the winning run he ended up getting captured instead of dying. I actually like this less. I would've liked for him to be the first to join the cemetery. But... Eh, maybe it's a blessing in disguise. I wouldn't have mourned him had he perished, but I think I can get more use out of him than, say... Kramer. Yeah...

Part of the new film Vengeful Dean: Captured by Chaos.

That's a meme right there

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

z62G5LNq_o.png

The funniest part is that it might still take him the entire game to get that 5 EXP. Such is the life of Ward. Still, he doesn't need it. He's Endgame Ready thanks to his Beard. Plus, this way he gets bragging rights. And I get bragging rights, so I am satisfied.

Ward gets to.... well, not kill Chaos sadly.

Imagine if he died here, what would happen later on?

19 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

lU79rCz5_o.png

Chapter 3-main wasn't done taking an industrial drill to my posterior, though. It turns out that Sakhalin equips his hellfire orb during that cutscene. Awesome, gameplay-story integration! Except it's fucked me. It's fucked me completely. It already took me like, over a whole-ass hour of back and forth to get Garos and Chaos. I don't need this on top of that.

HE EVEN HAS MIRACLE, WHY AM I DOING THIS TO MYSELF--

Sakhalin is not going to go gently-

34 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

U49Buzqz_o.png

Fortunately, after some time, I realized I can just bait him into healing someone so he swaps back to his heal orb. Phew... I mean, it still took a few turns worth of earlygame pirate whiffing, but it was a lot less tedious than constant resets.

Or I'm wrong, he will be gentle.

XG4tId2Y_o.png

Oh my fucking Christ, it's over. It's finally over... Hoo, "enough time" is right, Reese. Over 70 turns...

What's that in supposed in universe time, 35+ hours?

Because I think before we've discussed Berwick turns as half an hour in the mandatory maps where time matters. Oof.

You sure gave them a lot of time to die Reese.

21 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Notice that there's no city event for Volo.

This isn't because I skipped it.

It's because it didn't happen.

It required Sakhalin to survive, didn't it.

Ha...

Haha...

Ahaa, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA fuck me and my ideas, seriously, why did I start this crap.

...IT'S MY BIRTHDAY TODAY, WHAT KIND OF A BIRTHDAY GIFT IS THIS, KAGA-- No, no, it's okay. It's my fault. Live and learn.

Wait, is that the Leticia event gone?

.....It is?

Kaga has just played you.

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Even if this is right, the Old Wounds thing and Volo/Owen's recruitment requirements not listing the priests' survival could be fixed. Fail or fail harder, this should prove to be a valuable learning experience for us all.

The second hand pain is real.

3KjzqgW6_o.png

Uhhhh, lovely NPC Bishop palette.

Shame NPC animations are not shown unless a player unit is involved. So either you heal them, they heal you or they get berserked and then attack you. There have to be a fair amount of NPC sprites I haven't seen yet.

But nevermind that. Happy Birthday. 🎂

Chapter 3-1

ZtTFW6WE_o.png

Hurrah! I can actually do this sidequest! Rejoice! I don't know if it'll give me a point, but it's unskippable, so it hardly matters. Thank God, too, as I get units in this map.

Aegina, in my experience, is a unit that gets better the more familiar you become with the game. At first glance she's terrible, with her unreliable, low wind damage. Most people are likely to only deploy her for wyverns in their first runs. Then you try giving her magic-improving bracelets and she's suddenly one-rounding things in a game where one-rounding is difficult without fancy weaponry. Pallas Riana regenerating is a nice touch, too. With every run where I've actually used her, she's grown on me more and more.

Anyway, that is all irrelevant to the run at hand. What is relevant is that she's a unit I can get with no strings attached, because even if Sherpa were to survive, she's the second most miserable unit in the game to promote, losing only to Adel. Heck, the argument could be made that she's harder than Adel, with her worse availability, less common weaponry and wind's finnicky skill gains. I've gotten away with some decently midgame Adel promotions, but Aegina? Every time I've promoted her - all two times it's happened - it was in like, chapter 13 or 12-1. And that was when I had all the maps to play. Here, I'd say it's probably impossible. Not that it matters, as her promotion also happens to be one of the least impactful promotions in the game.

The problem here is Sherpa. Sherpa is awesome and a really easy recruitment, but he only needs Aegina to live in order to get his happiness point. And as amazing as Sherpa is, I'll want a mage in the late stages more than another big sword guy. Probably. We'll see. I might just kill Kay.

As for Faramir... Faramir is a pretty nice unit, with his extra movement and his high bow accuracy and damage (especially in a world without Sylvis), but he requires that I hire Faye and then him, incurring an extra cost. That, and I don't like him. Probably the only playable character in the game I don't like in some way. Thus, I am making the executive decision to execute him right here and now, when he's cheap to obtain. I think I have enough powerful sword mercenaries to go around, and Esteban and Sherlock should have bows covered in time.

All right, so, the map. This is a really simple map and almost nothing of note happened in it.

9GhQEsXA_o.pngujOAZfXs_o.png

Aegina and Esteban got a bad level each.

bVMzbRDP_o.pngEnopBVNH_o.pngAfM4uGZw_o.pngKdG1jvz7_o.png

Then everyone died. The end.

DZh66ApP_o.pngplslETAv_o.pngeu36Z2Gh_o.pngsiZSrOv9_o.png

Epitaphs. Christine, Faye and Faramir got some pretty nondescript little text blurbs, but Kramer's is actually pretty sad. Another pretty sad thing is that the items belonging to mercenaries aren't given to Reese. Shame, Ward could've used the Cutlass+.

Also that's a typo on Faye's epitaph. With her innate casual mode that is only lost if very-good-unit Faramir dies, that has to be the second hardest typo in the game to see, up there with a couple in Volo's chapter 7 event that I can't show because the game is a fucking jerk.

Anyway @Aethin Hi it's I the typo guy, maybe this'll interest you.

sy9Dkf1u_o.pngsEHSgMyx_o.png

No matter, the important thing is that I got this.

WU8AAn2P_o.png

17 avoid is utterly crazy. I only got to use this once, in my ironman LP, and Faye with it was so slippery enemies often didn't even want to attack her. It was a great time and I look forward to doing more stuff like that.

...You know the sad thing, though? I'm starting to wonder how many units that can equip bracelets I'll have by the end of this. The mages, but then... Who else? So many mercs have easy happiness requirements...

Speaking of mercs, we got two new ones. Owen is one of my favorite characters in the game, and also a character I can get... for now, because he's another one of those blasted easy happiness points. At least I have Izerna, goddammit. Still, a bit like Axel, Owen's not that great in the endgame anyway, so it's still great to have him for the escape maps, where he truly shines.

Saphira is going to sit tight on the bench so I don't get her or Paramythis. I'd have to kill off Paramythis anyway to keep her from being happy. It'd be another thing if I could kill Saphira off without killing Paramythis, but as it is... She has casual mode for most of the game, and if she dies in the endgame Paramythis leaves. I thought of getting around it with a crippling, but Paramythis has Robust+ and there are no escape maps left when she arrives. They thought of everything. Besides, I'm curious to see how the game handles Saphira not joining.

So uh... yeah. The minimum ranks run continues to suck but not enough to be unfeasible. What else is new?

22 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

Wait, I just realised. Who can you even have in the finale?

A low amount of people. More than @Spara got in his minimum recruitment run, but... Low.

Axel looking to change professions with the reduction in water terrain's importance as the game proceeds.

Please, let's not make this any more unpleasant than it already is.

Oh no.

Oh no, that's just so painful.

And it wasn't even the most painful thing that happened in the chapter, either...

Part of the new film Vengeful Dean: Captured by Chaos.

That's a meme right there

Hah! Oh that's a great title. I can just imagine a 13 year old naming his edgy fanfic that...

Ward gets to.... well, not kill Chaos sadly.

Imagine if he died here, what would happen later on?

To be honest, Chaos has a surprisingly tiny presence, especially if Faye's arc isn't done, so they probably could've gotten away with it.

Sakhalin is not going to go gently-

Or I'm wrong, he will be gentle.

And thank the stars for that, sheesh.

What's that in supposed in universe time, 35+ hours?

Because I think before we've discussed Berwick turns as half an hour in the mandatory maps where time matters. Oof.

More or less, yes.

You sure gave them a lot of time to die Reese.

Slpy7d9G_o.png

Wait, is that the Leticia event gone?

.....It is?

Kaga has just played you.

I hate him. I hate him more and more with each map.

21 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Uhhhh, lovely NPC Bishop palette.

Shame NPC animations are not shown unless a player unit is involved. So either you heal them, they heal you or they get berserked and then attack you. There have to be a fair amount of NPC sprites I haven't seen yet.

Yeah, they've got some pretty nice palettes. Too bad they aren't commonly seen.

21 hours ago, BrightBow said:

But nevermind that. Happy Birthday. 🎂

Thanks a lot, mate!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

52 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Not that it matters, as her promotion also happens to be one of the least impactful promotions in the game.

She gets +2 magic. It's like she gets to just eat that Blessed Brace.

54 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

9GhQEsXA_o.png

Aegina seems to really love to gain nothing but fire rank on her first level.

55 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

DZh66ApP_o.png

Oh, that's a less shitty gravestone then Chris got in your last Let's Play. Seems they are randomized.
I suppose every Berwick Saga cemetery is personalized.

Sorry about missing the birthday.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

To be honest, Chaos has a surprisingly tiny presence, especially if Faye's arc isn't done, so they probably could've gotten away with it.

I mean, what would replace Chaos in the finale?

Would Faye and Faramir's map disappear or have a whole other motive for existing?

Would you get Vajra early? Probably not, I have a feeling there'd be an excuse to avoid that.

Would each of those cases just have a doppelganger Chaos?

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Aegina, in my experience, is a unit that gets better the more familiar you become with the game. At first glance she's terrible, with her unreliable, low wind damage. Most people are likely to only deploy her for wyverns in their first runs. Then you try giving her magic-improving bracelets and she's suddenly one-rounding things in a game where one-rounding is difficult without fancy weaponry. Pallas Riana regenerating is a nice touch, too. With every run where I've actually used her, she's grown on me more and more.

Anyway, that is all irrelevant to the run at hand. What is relevant is that she's a unit I can get with no strings attached, because even if Sherpa were to survive, she's the second most miserable unit in the game to promote, losing only to Adel. Heck, the argument could be made that she's harder than Adel, with her worse availability, less common weaponry and wind's finnicky skill gains. I've gotten away with some decently midgame Adel promotions, but Aegina? Every time I've promoted her - all two times it's happened - it was in like, chapter 13 or 12-1. And that was when I had all the maps to play. Here, I'd say it's probably impossible. Not that it matters, as her promotion also happens to be one of the least impactful promotions in the game.

The problem here is Sherpa. Sherpa is awesome and a really easy recruitment, but he only needs Aegina to live in order to get his happiness point. And as amazing as Sherpa is, I'll want a mage in the late stages more than another big sword guy. Probably. We'll see. I might just kill Kay.

As for Faramir... Faramir is a pretty nice unit, with his extra movement and his high bow accuracy and damage (especially in a world without Sylvis), but he requires that I hire Faye and then him, incurring an extra cost. That, and I don't like him. Probably the only playable character in the game I don't like in some way. Thus, I am making the executive decision to execute him right here and now, when he's cheap to obtain. I think I have enough powerful sword mercenaries to go around, and Esteban and Sherlock should have bows covered in time.

So Aegina is a misery guts then? Which is what you need?

And a pre-emptive RIP to Sherpa.

And Faramir'd have to die for Faye to be able to, so it makes sense to get him earlier.

Speaking of mercs, we got two new ones. Owen is one of my favorite characters in the game, and also a character I can get... for now, because he's another one of those blasted easy happiness points. At least I have Izerna, goddammit. Still, a bit like Axel, Owen's not that great in the endgame anyway, so it's still great to have him for the escape maps, where he truly shines.

Not even Owen escapes the happiness trap for ranking.

Saphira is going to sit tight on the bench so I don't get her or Paramythis. I'd have to kill off Paramythis anyway to keep her from being happy. It'd be another thing if I could kill Saphira off without killing Paramythis, but as it is... She has casual mode for most of the game, and if she dies in the endgame Paramythis leaves. I thought of getting around it with a crippling, but Paramythis has Robust+ and there are no escape maps left when she arrives. They thought of everything. Besides, I'm curious to see how the game handles Saphira not joining.

Saphira: another character who just gets to sit there miserable. Least she doesn't have to die.

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

WU8AAn2P_o.png

17 avoid is utterly crazy. I only got to use this once, in my ironman LP, and Faye with it was so slippery enemies often didn't even want to attack her. It was a great time and I look forward to doing more stuff like that.

...You know the sad thing, though? I'm starting to wonder how many units that can equip bracelets I'll have by the end of this. The mages, but then... Who else? So many mercs have easy happiness requirements...

Which of the other two are you looking forward to more?

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

siZSrOv9_o.png

THE DEADLY CUTSWOMAN  (←please ignore the bad YTP meme from 12 years ago)

But yes, this is the first time anyone's pointed this typo out to me! :KnollRoll:

Anyway, learning that Sakhalin needed to survive was surprising to me! Since I'm learning a lot of ASM these days in my new computer science studies, my pipe dream is that one day I'll be able to disassemble & decompile Berwick and see what's up with the alleged spaghetti code. There's also the mess of tools I inherited for the TRS translation; I actually have the source code for those, so hopefully they'll be better to digest.

For now, though, I've returned to being a poor college student, and the best time I'll have to go back to work on TRS and BWS typo (etc.) fixing is this coming summer, so you guys can look forward to that, at least.

Aegina does things

VjRBVy4s_o.png

To start, an Ishs Courser is at the stables. I grab it for Reese.

Nlw1WFqi_o.png9dsbi0eG_o.pngYZDw4JTQ_o.png

I then feed Esteban, because he's one of two mercs I can actually recruit and I really would like to have him. Adel and Ward get roast beef, which grants them Counter. It was a huge waste on Adel, but Ward ended up getting great use out of it.

ckWrtx3i_o.png

On to the map it is. First off, we got a new unit. Daoud is a unit that requires every green unit to survive in order to join. Green units surviving is also going to get me tactics points. So uh, yeah. You can guess what's going to happen to Daoud before the end of this chapter.

Speaking of, the tactics points for this map require that 10 or more allies make it. Just to be safe, I'm going to try and get as many of them killed as I can before I get a game over. As for the citizen requests, the cool thing about this chapter's requests is that, poetry aside, they all require I get items and then give them to people. I can instead sell them off! Ain't that awesome. I mean, I'll get less money, but at least I can get... y'know, something.

The first relevant order of business is the bag with the argentum. I came up with a really funny idea to get it quickly.

kBsyoqJz_o.pngiBZV6aSX_o.png

I gave Aegina our shiny new dusk charm, which we obtained by feeding the lives of three good people and Faramir to the spears of the Empire. And now she's going to make a dash for the bag. With her unrestricted movement, she can reach it in four turns, dodgetank everyone and then run for the hills.

aiJWdMca_o.png

Ahahahaha... Ahh, the memories of Faye in the LP. Good times, good times. And now I get to experience it again!

DytIGxSM_o.png

And then she got speed to be even more hilarious! oh, that's just rich.

wnOnYVrt_o.png

The first part of the map was otherwise pretty usual. I fought on the canyon, leaving the upper front open for some enemies to slip through and begin taking out my allies. I scored this random crippling. A nice gesture from the game.

ZqBdZmPQ_o.png

Also Daoud did his thing in this run, which is to die for the off-chance that he is buried at the graveyard. Spoiler alert: He wasn't.

You can see Esteban overthere. He was trying to help Aegina out a little. Not because she got hit or anything, more for the fun of it, I guess. Get him kills, gotta take him to level 9 for the shieldknife.

ZIQoW2jJ_o.png

He immediately got hit and had to run for the hills. Baby steps, Estie. Baby steps.

SwfMA1vk_o.png

This was the main reason I got Counter on Ward. Thanks to Counter and the strength boost from the roast beef, he could take the fight to Laurus and defeat him singlehandedly.

AfnGDzkf_o.pngsHEK30My_o.png

I still believe in your, Ward.

g7cZ8cvY_o.pngiaB8ItWJ_o.png6t5IqiaC_o.png

While all of that was happening, Izerna spent her time getting some experience and light points. Izerna is kinda extra on this map, since we don't want the cripples to live and Owen has the main cast covered. So she instead spent her time soothing the non-crippled people. Cruelly, in front of the crippled people. Here, have some cool green palettes. One of these days someone ought to rip this game's sprites.

IMUInaVE_o.png

She kept at it until this happened.

l0v0fCGF_o.png

...Yeaah... Oof.

yHsk0ZmJ_o.png

I was able to save her temporarily by provoking with Elbert, but she was still completely surrounded, with the Imperial spearmen closing in on her.

W8Pc60GG_o.pngeIbERuXk_o.png

However, I was fortunately able to get Owen there over the course of two turns. Always love when I can use Berwick Saga's turn flow to my advantage!

K3hV9q22_o.png

Don't worry about Owen, either. It appears the enemies are too focused on the guardian to bother accosting the good priest.

qkmth1Pz_o.png0CGTc8AE_o.png

As all of this was going down, a number of developments took place elsewhere. First off, the seventh allied soldier escaped. We cannot allow any more to do it.

DyXJ2ECi_o.png

I didn't really need to do this, as there was only the one guardian left, but just in case, I had Elbert hang around the escape point.

0Wtb8KDw_o.pngbeCkZpNI_o.png

On the western front, Reese rushed to his right hand man's aid, dispatching Laurus with a timely crit. Kinda sad, I won't lie. I was hoping Laurus would give Ward those 5 points of experience... A Ward level this early would've been utterly hilarious. But Reese does make better use of it, to be fair. Ward's growths are not good.

gJ8tcnKq_o.png

As for Aegina... Yep, she's still at it. Still untouched.

oPGpCZKI_o.png

...Uh oh... That might prove to be her match, though...!

GTBwbpK8_o.png

Never mind.

wfGxwImg_o.png

Never you mind! Holy shit, imagine if I actually got to capture him like this...

kUhsPIOZ_o.png

Oh, goddammit, he just had to dodge one of her Pallas Riana shots...

I did not screenshot it, but no crippling from this. He has a concoction, so we've probably missed our chance--

wiCp8Rth_o.png9D7z5SLR_o.png

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Welp. That was amazing. AI!

N5MCFu95_o.png

That kind brigand may have stolen that concoction from us, but he bought us some time. Sadly, the only option I have to cripple Pisaro is Esteban. Everyone else kills exactly. Pisaro's escape point is to the north - perhaps if he makes a break for it, I will have a chance.

SrVHogHe_o.png

...Or, you know. He could try that.

6Lp9r4u1_o.png

You idiot! That was actually the worst move you could have possibly picked here! Who are you, me? I didn't even get any experience on Ward... Sheesh, experience on Ward? Those are words I never thought I would utter. This run is driving me to insanity...

r8MzgZMH_o.png

That's some extra money gone, but at least I got Ali Baba. Pedro's still alive, down at the corner there. He spent a long time harrying Leon. He just wasn't a big enough deal for me to focus much on him and his insane HP.

...Sigh... yes, the rapier's gone. I'm pretty sure it was green. Might've been yellow. I hope it was yellow. Green breaks are the worst. I don't find RNG durability to be as much of a problem as other people do, but I still do think it would've been better if green had no chance to break. Let the risk begin on yellow at least, leave more room for reliability to the player.

9RU8XSws_o.png

Oh hey, look who it is. Just a little too late to help with Pisaro's capture.

Larentia is a unit that excels due to her irreplicable utility. In this run, she's Unavoidable Happiness Point #751. And I do mean unavoidable, since she joins permanently when Reese promotes. Fairly certain this happens no matter what on chapter 10, though I've always wondered why Larentia's recruitment page at Serenes makes the distinction that she joins if Reese promotes "between chapters 7 and 10." Yeah, that's... when Reese's promotion can happen, indeed.

Whatever the case, Larentia is the only unit I have access to that possesses the valuable Watchful skill. Just for that it may be worth keeping her around.

mX7bc78g_o.pngrUnyXGia_o.png

Anyway, the guardian dies with the wrong portrait. With this, we have successfully accomplished the bare minimum. Pretty sure he's the only one who died, everyone else got captured or ran.

On that topic, I was surprised to find out that killing enemies that had captured allies allowed me to obtain the allies' items. Never a run where I don't learn something new, with this game.

3MY3cZSC_o.png

I've not been showing levels because lol stats in Berwick, but... Jesus Christ on a bike, this deserved to be shown. I mean, he still hasn't a chance to promote, but... wow.

Gth8PRrV_o.png

Also, Aegina finally ate a hit, so I began to pull her out.

b3PI8tE6_o.png

Two things of import came to pass on turn 15. First, Sherlock learned Overwatch. It's pretty good, though I don't really like how he loses it on level 14, then gains Overwatch 2 on level 15, which is the same thing but you have to pay real money every time you want to use it. Of course, neither skill really compares to Team Fortress 2--

67yzqEKE_o.png

And Aegina got ‼️‼️‼️magic‼️‼️‼️ Oh that's so good. That makes me so happy.

Mae1SaxV_o.png

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

And you know the worst part? If I'd counted hexes, he would've been saved. He was exactly one hex too far for Owen to heal him. He could've reached. I was just really stupid and moved without thinking. Nearly 10 years of playing these games, everyone. Still can't do basic movement checks.

And thus began my suffering for the day. Because I refused to let that level be lost, so I reset and reset until she got it again.

HHiONDgJ_o.png

Then Sherlock died to an archer. This archer was in range of both him and Esteban, and they both died to him. I had to kill him before that could happen, and he managed the first time... but, of course, this time Sherlock missed twice and then failed to dodge. Because of course. Of course.

And you know the best part? I got the good magic level again, and then he died again. And then it took ages for Aegina to get magic again, to the point where I started to be reminded of the Garos debacle.

twSLBmIN_o.png

Well, eventually she got this. It's... arguably worse than the fire level, because getting hit is not something she should ever do, whereas she might fire off a fireball once or twice in the future, but... eh. Who cares. Magic.

RzmH4aC8_o.png

The important part is that this is where I finally realized the archer was red with anger. Anger at Sherlock, to be specific. So I could just... do this, and save myself all the trouble.

Gee, if only I'd done that 40 resets earlier. But no matter. The resetting frenzy is over. I can now move on from my frustration and stubborness, and come out the other end a happier man. A happier man with a 4 mag Aegina.

qVlb2Dwv_o.png

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway, as you can see on this screenshot, Elbert had been partying hard for a while. His dancing partners began to prove too much for him, though, and he had few ways out with his heavy cavalry movement, so he skadoodled. Skadoodled? No wait, according to Google, that's someone who's high on ecstasy... Skeddadle, he skedaddled! First one out.

B4nb3kCf_o.png

Also-- Oh, oh you... You pile of trash. Not that archer, of all people! I hate that archer, he's my enemy!

4VsdrD8C_o.png

This is the situation on turn 20. This guy is injured.

uxD6sc8c_o.png

I had also sent Larentia on a mission to kill this guy for his swarm orb. Regardless of which I try to do first, someone will face a chance of death. This will require a bit of luck, but I'm sure with just a couple of resets I'll--

...Yeah, I did it to myself again, five turns later. Sigh... Will the good ideas never end with this run?

I was quite lucky, though! In just two attempts, the guy was crippled and Larentia dodged swarm, allowing her to finish him on her turn and then dash east. Awesome! All that is left now is to get everyone to the escape points and--

1I3Wda9A_o.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU ARCHER! FUCK YOU SO MUCH! ALL OF THE FUCKERY TO YOU!

That was turn 23. I was almost out. I could taste the victory. And then the one archer fucked me.

Oh, and now, naturally, it took a whole bunch of resets for things to line up. None of this was necessary, I did entirely because I'm too stubborn to let go of a worthless capture and an Erzheimer item I might not even have any use for.

Eventually it happened, though, and we began to once again progress towards--

Nf5dDZyR_o.png

Oh, please... C'mooooooooooon! The escape point's not made for sitting, it's made for me to use to win!

44fjfik8_o.png

Some abuse of Berwick's turn flow later, the enemies freed up the escape point by attacking. I could now leave... But I made a decision.

This guy has a plain horse. I considered the cost of plain horses, and realized it may very well be greater than the cost of ransoming Aegina out. And without sidequests to take into account, this is a pretty fair trade-off!

M2SCKU0E_o.png

This would've been the perfect timing for a funny miss, but it didn't happen, thank fuck. Look at all that shit she has! She got three levels in one map, which in Berwick you know means she must've wiped out a legion by herself. What a badass. I did not think she had it in her!

xcFBdCpH_o.pngtZBGeZzJ_o.png

Aegina and Larentia are both captured. Dashing east felt like the safest option for Larentia, but she couldn't make it to the escape point in time. Ah well, no matter. I'm sure I can afford two ransoms.

EGHxv6qb_o.png

Like so. Back to us, Aegina, and now for Larentia.

zp74k0ph_o.png

...Aaaaaany second now. The option to ransom Larentia out will appear any second now... aaany... second...

She disappears forever if she's captured in her join chapter, doesn't she.

...Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh...

19 hours ago, BrightBow said:

She gets +2 magic. It's like she gets to just eat that Blessed Brace.

That's true, but with how insanely painful it is to get, I'm just glad it's not a requirement for her recruitment or to get a good item for her or for extra weapon types or anything. Everything she can do for you, she does without promotion. All promotion does is make her a bit more effective at it, way too late to make much of an impression.

Aegina seems to really love to gain nothing but fire rank on her first level.

Yes, she's annoying like that. But it's okay, I like her anyway.

Oh, that's a less shitty gravestone then Chris got in your last Let's Play. Seems they are randomized.
I suppose every Berwick Saga cemetery is personalized.

Hah! Yeah, I almost forgot Christine's awful tombstone in the LP. They probably caught Ward in a good mood this time, he was willing to splurge a bit more cash on it than on that other timeline.

19 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

Sorry about missing the birthday.

Nah, nah, it's all good.

I mean, what would replace Chaos in the finale?

Would Faye and Faramir's map disappear or have a whole other motive for existing?

Would you get Vajra early? Probably not, I have a feeling there'd be an excuse to avoid that.

Would each of those cases just have a doppelganger Chaos?

If Chaos dies here, Faye and Faramir's arc cannot be fulfilled anyway because it requires the event between Faye and Chaos to happen to progress. I'm pretty sure. Vajra probably just disappears. As for the finale... It'd be funny if he's just replaced by like, Semdallion. Remember, the one dark master in 12-1 that Faye mistakes for Chaos if they fight, who is super offended about the misunderstanding?

So Aegina is a misery guts then? Which is what you need?

I guess you could say that yeah

another character who just gets to sit there miserable

The entire run in a nutshell lolololol lmfao

Which of the other two are you looking forward to more?

Honestly, probably this. Super dodge allows for some hilarious strats. Super hit would be nice on like, Missival, but do I even have enough units to spare to get it? Then after that there's the hide charm, which is... okay, I guess, and the Königswolf, an insanely good axe that requires a level 25 axeman to use it properly. I don't think I've even had level 25 Deans in any of my Berwick runs, and he has Bhuj anyway.

...One of these days I really gotta try to do Königswolf Derrick.

19 hours ago, Aethin said:

THE DEADLY CUTSWOMAN  (←please ignore the bad YTP meme from 12 years ago)

It's all right, bad YTPs from over a decade ago are my favorites.

But yes, this is the first time anyone's pointed this typo out to me! :KnollRoll:

Woo! All my pain was worth it!

Anyway, learning that Sakhalin needed to survive was surprising to me!

Same here. To be fair, it's a super unlikely scenario. If Sakhalin has made it alive to the manor, there isn't much chance that he's going to die from there to the temple. Being the slowest priest, you're likely to have dealt with Agvan well in advance, and if not, he's massacred Orbell and Grimm already and losing Sakhalin as well means defeat. In other words, this is only going to happen to someone trying to make it happen. In other other words, me.

Since I'm learning a lot of ASM these days in my new computer science studies, my pipe dream is that one day I'll be able to disassemble & decompile Berwick and see what's up with the alleged spaghetti code. There's also the mess of tools I inherited for the TRS translation; I actually have the source code for those, so hopefully they'll be better to digest.

If ever you end up dissecting this game, do share your results! I, for one, would love to know more about the inner workings of this beautiful, beautiful videogame.

For now, though, I've returned to being a poor college student, and the best time I'll have to go back to work on TRS and BWS typo (etc.) fixing is this coming summer, so you guys can look forward to that, at least.

I shall, indeed! I'm likely to get some more rare scenes over the course of this, so if I find anything else, I'll be sure to let you know.

14 hours ago, Armagon said:

I don't feel the same way, Marth, but after so many runs, I will do what I must.

14 hours ago, Armagon said:

I'm praying you don't end up softlocking yourself or some shit man.

Naaah. Not softlocking. Suffering? For sure, but if Spara could finish his minimum recruitment run, I can finish this nonsense.

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If Chaos dies here, Faye and Faramir's arc cannot be fulfilled anyway because it requires the event between Faye and Chaos to happen to progress. I'm pretty sure. Vajra probably just disappears. As for the finale... It'd be funny if he's just replaced by like, Semdallion. Remember, the one dark master in 12-1 that Faye mistakes for Chaos if they fight, who is super offended about the misunderstanding?

I mean, Semdallion could end up with Vajra somehow and Faye would still be looking for it, so not as implausible for her to chase whoever has it that isn't named Chaos.

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Honestly, probably this. Super dodge allows for some hilarious strats. Super hit would be nice on like, Missival, but do I even have enough units to spare to get it? Then after that there's the hide charm, which is... okay, I guess, and the Königswolf, an insanely good axe that requires a level 25 axeman to use it properly. I don't think I've even had level 25 Deans in any of my Berwick runs, and he has Bhuj anyway.

I mean, could Axel?

Not like you'll have anyone to use it by the end sadly.

48 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

ckWrtx3i_o.png

On to the map it is. First off, we got a new unit. Daoud is a unit that requires every green unit to survive in order to join. Green units surviving is also going to get me tactics points. So uh, yeah. You can guess what's going to happen to Daoud before the end of this chapter.

He'll end up deaoud

50 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

ZqBdZmPQ_o.png

Also Daoud did his thing in this run, which is to die for the off-chance that he is buried at the graveyard. Spoiler alert: He wasn't.

This is why he should have died in 5

53 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

9RU8XSws_o.png

Oh hey, look who it is. Just a little too late to help with Pisaro's capture.

Larentia is a unit that excels due to her irreplicable utility. In this run, she's Unavoidable Happiness Point #751. And I do mean unavoidable, since she joins permanently when Reese promotes. Fairly certain this happens no matter what on chapter 10, though I've always wondered why Larentia's recruitment page at Serenes makes the distinction that she joins if Reese promotes "between chapters 7 and 10." Yeah, that's... when Reese's promotion can happen, indeed.

Whatever the case, Larentia is the only unit I have access to that possesses the valuable Watchful skill. Just for that it may be worth keeping her around.

I'm trying to recall if you miss it if Reese promotes as late as possible.

53 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

3MY3cZSC_o.png

I've not been showing levels because lol stats in Berwick, but... Jesus Christ on a bike, this deserved to be shown. I mean, he still hasn't a chance to promote, but... wow.

Is it going to be Adel time?

54 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

67yzqEKE_o.png

And Aegina got ‼️‼️‼️magic‼️‼️‼️ Oh that's so good. That makes me so happy.

55 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Gee, if only I'd done that 40 resets earlier.

It's starting to sound like this run will have over a thousand resets by the end.

I worry at that number.

57 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

44fjfik8_o.png

Some abuse of Berwick's turn flow later, the enemies freed up the escape point by attacking. I could now leave... But I made a decision.

This guy has a plain horse. I considered the cost of plain horses, and realized it may very well be greater than the cost of ransoming Aegina out. And without sidequests to take into account, this is a pretty fair trade-off!

So you accept her getting caught and ransomed in exchange for getting a horse.

There's some joke that can be mode out of that, but it's late to be thinking of it.

57 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

zp74k0ph_o.png

...Aaaaaany second now. The option to ransom Larentia out will appear any second now... aaany... second...

Least you don't get that point of happiness from her seeing Reese promote.

On 2/17/2023 at 3:52 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

Besides, I'm curious to see how the game handles Saphira not joining.

Tianna has a funny line if you don't use her at all by Ch12. You'll see, lol.

12 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Aaaaaany second now. The option to ransom Larentia out will appear any second now... aaany... second...

Oh fucking ripppppppppppppp.

This is awful lmao

🍿

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

Chapter 5-main

First off, I'd like to get a couple of things I forgot out of the way.

I had always been curious about one thing regarding Faye's encounter with Chaos in chapter 3. Usually, she fails to kill him, but she actually deals damage to him. So what happens if his HP is low enough when the event start?

44J30iBf_o.png

Well... Disappointingly, she just starts doing no damage when he's at 1 HP. Meh.

pGTq7zwb_o.png

Also, on chapter 4 I discovered something I don't believe I've seen before. Apparently weapons can break after a failure. So basically, that guy tried to swing his sword, dropped it and it shattered. Amazing. Good work, pal.

As for what happens with the chapter 4 outro if Larentia doesn't survive the chapter. I didn't make it clear, but...

...Nothing. Nothing happens. The game just goes straight back to the office.

All right, so. Let's get down to business.

fOik4cpx_o.png

I fed Esteban and Aegina. Aegina for extra hit, Esteban for happiness. Esteban is the only person in the army who is allowed to be happy. Even if it's only temporary, because he won't get to see his girlfriend again after his recruitment. I also gave the dusk charm to Izerna for the time being. Avoid the nastiness that happened last chapter. Dodgina was fun, but she will get an accessory that better suits her capabitities in this map.

iEIHnNzh_o.png

On that topic, the thing that happens in almost all of my runs has happened again - I splurged too much, forgetting this chapter's letter loot is Gram and not money, and ended up with no dough left to get Aegina that thing. Thus, I relied on Erzheimer for some quick cash. Thanks, man!

You might think "but Ruben didn't you get extra cash from the treasure in the treasure chest"? Good question! See, in order to manipulate the contents of the treasure chest, you need to reload a save within a map. Usually what I do is, I keep a save right before finishing a map, then go back until I get a treasure. Easy... in a regular run where I have sidequests. The last thing I want to do is go back to turn 20 of 4-main, so instead, I get...

VMuuR9Sw_o.png

...A silver coin. Because literally everything I try in this run ends in horrible failure. Woohoo.

6TqxKevZ_o.png

So, the battle. Usually Sylvis is helping out Vanmilion with the fort's defense, but I guess since we didn't go to that one road, she no longer exists? No matter.

Ga2P5tRd_o.png

The cutscene changes slightly, but the gist of it is the same: We must defend the castle town. Within it, there are citizens to protect. Interestingly enough, however, unlike with chapter 4-main, the civilians grant neither tactics points from survival, nor game overs upon dying. The civilians' survival merely impacts Marcel's recruitment, which is absolutely perfect, as it turns him into a unit I can get.

Marcel is the poster boy of Kaga's hatred for armors in this game. Whereas Derrick is an obvious joke character, and a very fun one at that, this seems to be intended as the game's "real" armor knight. And he sucks, he has terrible movement until level 15, where it is upgraded to merely "acceptable" levels; his combat is... decent, if you can get him to the action; but his defense, while great, isn't really that much better than, say, Ward's or Clifford's to compensate for his multitude of drawbacks. In this run his situation is even more dire than usual, too, because I can't even get him his special sword and with Ward always present, he doesn't even get high defense Guard as a little niche to himself.

But, you know what? Who cares. I can get him. In this run, that alone puts him above 2/3rds of the cast. I'm already doubting I'll get enough people to fill out the final chapter's deployment slots. The more I can get, the better.

Today's citizen requests are not difficult to avoid. We must have Izerna ignore Erec, have Ward ignore Gasch and have everyone ignore Munver. Arnold isn't even a factor, since Christine is dead. All in all, simple. Unfortunately, I considered getting Gasch killed to get his treasure - yeah, that's a thing you can do - but I'd lose Marcel and I'd rather have Marcel. Either way, it'll be an interesting experience, having Ward do things in this map from the get-go. In fact, since we're shaking things up...

HpvwEucQ_o.png

I usually don't bother going south, since the fort defenders can handle that side just fine by themselves. Most often, I just quickly slip along the bottom edge of the map to get the ballista and then back. It's not like I'm in any hurry here, though. The tactics points require dealing with Lyarc, so I don't have much of a reason to rush the eastern side. So let's have Ward lend a hand! There's a guy with a kiteshield on that side. I almost never get it since he gets murdered by the greenies. Perhaps Ward can pull it off this time?

1XOAJRN0_o.png

He immediately gets harried by two archers, fails to shield hismelf or dodge and sustains decently heavy damage. All right, then.

OkcaKPPQ_o.png

Aegina visits the sundries and obtains the blessed brace, which will be her best friend from here to chapter 8. With this and the point of magic she scored last time, she deals 9 damage per gust. Pretty good! Now I just gotta get her enough levels to use windstorm.

9nyDYfb2_o.png

As soon as turn 2, Marcel is on our side.

SkMbjNVz_o.png

Oh, hi Munver. Nobody's coming that way, what are you talking about? Also, language.

JkBoC0Bx_o.png

Axel is primarily here for the searchable house. He still got to do a few things in the map otherwise, but there's a material here, and I really want all the materials I can get my hands on. Since, y'know, it's not that many.

2bLngpBX_o.png

It isn't? Nobody's after you, man.

xKPtYMTE_o.png

...What? He just... comes out in the open?

TjXNiNyG_o.png

This is his skillset. Never did think to check it before. He has Swimmer and Celerity for some undiscernible reason - you'll soon find out he never gets any use out of them - and Hide, but the one woman overthere has rendered it worthless.

Wow. Hah! I love it. What even was the thought process behind this side objective? I always thought he'd disappear really quickly, and the game was banking on the player forgetting he exists and not dealing with him immediately. instead, he loudly reminds you he is there, and then proceeds to go out in the open so it's even easier to nab him. Why...?

hSIrPJhG_o.pngtW5OZkTr_o.png

In any case, there's a random-ass spearman with Arrowbane. He used his fancy little skill to dodge Sherlock's Overwatch and get alarmingly close to the civilians. Not that it matters, as the Overwatching made him angry at Sherlock. Convenient...

I know, I know, that looks like crap, but don't worry. The spearman below Aegina was grievously injured, and the crossbowman got provoked by Elbert. Everything is under control. The civilians are safe.

hnHj1Ahy_o.png

Ward's had some really shitty luck. He keeps getting hit and his shield's doing nothing.

tsXyA9Vu_o.png

Go and help him, Clifford. Surely you will fare better?

(He didn't, got brought down to half HP the next turn)

aYuAvrk6_o.pngL6Uo3FKj_o.png

Ahahahahahaha! Okay that's great. I'm glad I'm getting to see this, at least. This feels like the kind of silly skit I'd write on my LPs for a random generic enemy doing weird things.

wpDuvNEd_o.png

He's still just standing in the open, too! Is he ever going to escape? Seriously, what were they thinking? What's the logic? Who in the world could possibly not have grabbed this idiot by now?

jnNlVXiP_o.png

Anyway... Oh, right, I forgot, Arnold appears even if Christine is dead. Well, time to leave a father childless.

j0ozHPsH_o.png

Clifford whacks the guy with the droppable kiteshield. Couldn't quite kill, but it was close. Clifford could get him next turn.

VKg3TY1f_o.png

Naturally, the generic Narvian picks this moment to stop missing and successfully get through the man's shield, delivering a mean mortal blow and depriving me of the goods.

Thanks a lot. I mean it. You asshat.

wYOZy3tl_o.pngI3gShjhD_o.png

...Never mind, that was actually great! Wow, what a positively fascinating chain of events... The NPC killed the guy, obtaining his droppable kiteshield, and then got killed in turn by another enemy, who grabbed it for himself. And now I can kill him and get it. Only in Berwick Saga! The gold coin was his to begin with. I never knew this drop existed - again, usually I let this side handle itself. After the treasure chest fiasco, I'd love a bit of extra cash to go around.

15NIjYSA_o.png

Munver's misadventures continue. My guy, the battle's getting further away, if anything. We don't care.

iDNDjbM4_o.png

Oh, this is interesting. He's entered the house with the tunnel that leads to Lyarc. Kaga seems to really love this whole "tunnel that takes you across the map" concept, because there's one in both Vestaria games as well.

...To be honest, I don't think I've ever gotten any use out of this one. I find it a lot better to just push through the frontline and lure Lyarc closer by standing on the edge of his movement range. No need to deal with the onslaught of cavaliers against a lone, isolated unit, not to mention Goebbels.

tP7UyMOX_o.png

I have to be the only person in the history of this game that has ever seen this cutscene. Aside from Aethin when he was translating, I guess. This is rather exciting!

7GlefqEf_o.pngDidn't think anyone was here... Hey, old man, what's that tunnel?

Stx9K60n_o.pngOh, that? It's an old tunnel that goes across the river out of town.

7GlefqEf_o.pngWhat?! You have a secret passage?!

Stx9K60n_o.pngIf that's what you want to call it...

7GlefqEf_o.pngThat's amazing! You're a lifesaver, old man! Here, I'll just slip on through, and I'll be out of your hair...

Stx9K60n_o.pngW-Wait! That passage is ancient! It could crumble any minute!

7GlefqEf_o.pngWell, that's life, I suppose. If I stay here, I'm dead anyway. Thanks for the tip, old man!

Stx9K60n_o.png...He's gone.

I actually have the correct portrait uploaded, but a Berwick run without a Webber appearance would just be too sad.

EQVF4EQt_o.png

That was so cool.

XwuZdxBX_o.png

Why does the house remain open, though? I can still go down the tunnel, and Jirra makes no mention of Munver. The tunnel is still usable, so that "one trip" nonsense he usually brings up is a load of balloney. Nothing different happens if you go after Munver has, either. I checked. Guess that's the end of that, then. And no, Munver doesn't appear at the shack. Maybe he hit his head somewhere along the way lol

iMGjNWEp_o.png

Well, whatever. Ward takes care of the ballista for us, obtaining a winch. Fairly certain the winch can only be used to craft crossbows, in which case I can safely sell it. As for the other ballista...

jvWGcObr_o.png

Aegina is on it. As you can see, I'm holding the enemy forces at the bridge, but this ballista could be nasty if I allow it to operate.

qNyzIgUF_o.png

No! Why must you always do this, Aegina?

YkgikcSs_o.png

It got healed too, but luckily, Sherlock was up to the task of picking up the slack.

HL9jHfcz_o.png

Back at the fort, Reese employed Gram for the first time to take out the guy with the double loot. Not risking taking too long and losing that shield to the greenies again.

YZshGHKG_o.png

On turn 10, I tried doing some shuffling to get Clifford on the bridge. Instead, I lost control of the situation.

wJR9jvfh_o.pnghVSDCU5d_o.png

After some clean-up and a timely crit from Clifford, however, I was able to regain it.

e1ubxZOo_o.pngyr0EvOvf_o.png

Clifford also murdered this priest. He was really the only reason I had to venture past the bridge - he has a soma.

Notice the injured guy at the bottom. The situation overthere was also pretty bad, but I was dead set on obtaining that capture. I whacked him once already, but he didn't get crippled, so I tried sending Izerna to try again with holy.

PpkfBzef_o.png

...And then the predictable thing happened, because she doesn't have Prepared yet. Why is it always my attempts at getting captures that ruin everything, every time...?

83ztMIZK_o.png

Meh. As it were. At least this time I was able to maintain a firm control over things.

KkFfDG6L_o.pngu8L8naJY_o.png

Arnold's untimely demise marks the end of the map. With that, the only enemies left are...

RRymbi8S_o.pngpQ3zb5PF_o.png

This spearman, and this priest with a golden coin. The convenient turn 15 save means I get to obtain a treasure in chapter 6. Thank goodness. I'm probably going to lose money on the treasure chest by the end of the game, but the more I can make back, the better. Man, I sure am wishing I'd kept my overkill money now... Or at least used it on something decent, like the Art: Revival!

3AitHZ5o_o.png

Lyarc has some dialogue if you reach turn 15 with him still alive.

K96n5R80_o.pngCould it be that the Goddess truly has abandoned us...? Then the end is inevitable... There is no justice in this battle. All forces, retreat! I will not continue to fight against those whom Veria has chosen.

peBlA56n_o.png

And then he walks towards the corner of the map, leaving Goebbels behind, and the map ends. Outro plays the same.

...Well, that map was a breeze. I mean, not really, it was tough and all, but I didn't get myself into a shit-tastic situation requiring ten thousand resets via my own hubris. Ahhh, that feels nice... I can only hope this pattern, and not the one before, continues until the end of the game.

I mean, Semdallion could end up with Vajra somehow and Faye would still be looking for it, so not as implausible for her to chase whoever has it that isn't named Chaos.

She thinks it's still Chaos, to Semdallion's great chagrin.

I mean, could Axel?

Not like you'll have anyone to use it by the end sadly.

Axel could if I gave him an immense amount of experience. And then he'd inevitably be unavailable for the finale, so... yeah. Really not worth it.

He'll end up deaoud

Hah!

This is why he should have died in 5

Woulda killed him there if I could, but getting him means tactics points. So either I murdered him, or he vanished. This outcome, while equally futile, is more in line with the spirit of this run.

Misery. For all.

I'm trying to recall if you miss it if Reese promotes as late as possible.

We'll find out.

Is it going to be Adel time?

...No, but at least he got a good moment to brag about back at home.

It's starting to sound like this run will have over a thousand resets by the end.

I worry at that number.

Really, it was entirely my own fault in chapters 3 and 4. I got my act together for 5. Let's hope I keep it up.

So you accept her getting caught and ransomed in exchange for getting a horse.

There's some joke that can be mode out of that, but it's late to be thinking of it.

I'm just glad I could get her back, at least.

Least you don't get that point of happiness from her seeing Reese promote.

Or the shining shield. I don't get the shining shield either.

19 hours ago, Spara said:

Tianna has a funny line if you don't use her at all by Ch12. You'll see, lol.

Looking forward to it.

11 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Oh fucking ripppppppppppppp.

This is awful lmao

🍿

Yes, this entire run is being quite the experience. I am exploring corners of this game not even Kaga expected anybody to ever see.

...No, seriously, why in the world did Munver get that whole extended sequence if you just let him walk unimpeded...? So much effort for something nobody's going to see...

34 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well... Disappointingly, she just starts doing no damage when he's at 1 HP. Meh.

What's funnier is if you have Faye talk to him while unarmed. Chaos just snaps over to her and smacks her immediately.

36 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You might think "but Ruben didn't you get extra cash from the treasure in the treasure chest"? Good question! See, in order to manipulate the contents of the treasure chest, you need to reload a save within a map. Usually what I do is, I keep a save right before finishing a map, then go back until I get a treasure. Easy... in a regular run where I have sidequests. The last thing I want to do is go back to turn 20 of 4-main, so instead, I get...

No. What happens is that the RNG changes whenever you save. So before you advance to the next chapter, you need to drop another save and you will get different results in the Kingfisher, the stable and whatnot.

42 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

wYOZy3tl_o.png

Looks like Sylvis really carries these guys. I don't know how much they paid her, but probably not enough.

pGTq7zwb_o.png

Also, on chapter 4 I discovered something I don't believe I've seen before. Apparently weapons can break after a failure. So basically, that guy tried to swing his sword, dropped it and it shattered. Amazing. Good work, pal.

This war really brings out the shoddy state of craftsmanship in Berwick this deep in the conflict.

VMuuR9Sw_o.png

...A silver coin. Because literally everything I try in this run ends in horrible failure. Woohoo

Alas.

L6Uo3FKj_o.png

Ahahahahahaha! Okay that's great. I'm glad I'm getting to see this, at least. This feels like the kind of silly skit I'd write on my LPs for a random generic enemy doing weird things.

He's still just standing in the open, too! Is he ever going to escape? Seriously, what were they thinking? What's the logic? Who in the world could possibly not have grabbed this idiot by now?

7GlefqEf_o.pngBut I'm gonna stay in the open while doing it.

Sneak King Munver, folks.

I3gShjhD_o.png

...Never mind, that was actually great! Wow, what a positively fascinating chain of events... The NPC killed the guy, obtaining his droppable kiteshield, and then got killed in turn by another enemy, who grabbed it for himself. And now I can kill him and get it. Only in Berwick Saga! The gold coin was his to begin with. I never knew this drop existed - again, usually I let this side handle itself. After the treasure chest fiasco, I'd love a bit of extra cash to go around.

At this rate the shield will be caked in mud and the coin scratched up with how much they've been dropping it between them.

XwuZdxBX_o.png

Why does the house remain open, though? I can still go down the tunnel, and Jirra makes no mention of Munver. The tunnel is still usable, so that "one trip" nonsense he usually brings up is a load of balloney. Nothing different happens if you go after Munver has, either. I checked. Guess that's the end of that, then. And no, Munver doesn't appear at the shack. Maybe he hit his head somewhere along the way lol

Munver, the drop chain, Marcel being left screwed over by Kaga, least this was kind of funny for the most part.

Edited by Punished Dayni