So I guess no Dagger Emblems?

BloodRonin

Now that we know all the dlc emblems, which I assume are the only ones they add, anyone disappointed we didn't get an assassin emblem?

I personally would have loved to see Jaffar as an emblem, or Volke. There aren't any emblems that give a dagger as a weapon to use. (Which I personally think the throwing sword from Corrin should have just been a dagger).  

Looking at all the weapon types, if I am not mistaken, daggers are the only one we don't have access too from Emblems. Having a cool assassin from one of the games would fit it all too well imo and could give some really great bonuses as well. 

Edited by BloodRonin

14 minutes ago, BloodRonin said:

Which I personally think the throwing sword from Corrin should have just been a dagger

Yeah man, what gives? That's literally "the dagger game" more so than any other. Coulda given me Flame Shuriken, but no. Wazakashi.

I feel like Jaffar and Volke are well below the tier of plot importance + popularity that was used to make choices for the emblems. Sadly, I just don't think anyone fits that well. I do agree they could have given a knife to an existing emblem as one of their weapons (agreed that Corrin's probably the best choice, even if they need a reclass to use them in their home game).

Sothe Could probably work as an important character, but they already have Soren, so maybe too much GC era? Maybe one day they will have year 2 of DLC? Add some popular characters like Takumi or Ryoma (they both seem like they would have ninja stars, haha)

Or maybe some villain emblems could come out with some cool knives.

I would have liked to see more monster-type Emblems like Tiki. Maybe A Laguz or the other animals from Fates/Awakening. Seems like wasted potential. Could have been interesting to have some more beasts running around.

8 hours ago, redpandering said:

Sothe Could probably work as an important character, but they already have Soren, so maybe too much GC era?

There's never enough Tellius.  N E V E R

Currently, Elibe and Tellius are tied with the most representation with 3 Emblems each (Roy, Lyn, and Hector for Elibe, and Ike, Micaiah, and Soren for Tellius). Magvel technically has the least representation with 1 Emblem, but it has two characters (Eirika and Ephraim) that share the ring.

25 minutes ago, Deathcon said:

Doesn't Leif give dagger proficiency?

Yeah, but none of the Emblems have a dagger available as an Emblem Weapon (like Marth's Rapier or Leif's Killer Axe). Sothe could have fit in perfectly, imo.

Soren was superior. Mages needed an emblem like him and his personality is leaps and bounds more interesting for bouncing off the roster than Sothe. Sothe would've sucked in comparison especially when his dialogue and dynamic with Micaiah would be noticeably worse than Ike and Soren's.

37 minutes ago, Seazas said:

Mages needed an emblem like him

Did they though? We had a dedicated damage Emblem, and a dedicated support Emblem for magic, Byleth is objectively superior to both, and mages also had plenty of other options through style bonuses. 

Plus, they missed a beat mechanically. There is a vastly more powerful wind mage in the series with an equally vibrant personality, who also serves as the connecting bridge in two games AND serves the unique function of an offensive evasion tank mage. That character is Lewyn, who should have been a dlc Emblem.

37 minutes ago, Seazas said:

his personality is leaps and bounds more interesting for bouncing off the roster than Sothe. Sothe would've sucked in comparison especially when his dialogue and dynamic with Micaiah would be noticeably worse than Ike and Soren's.

This is an extremely minor point in the game. Bond conversations are basically a massive nothingburger, and only serve to annoy the player with artificially capped out bond ranks in missions.

I think Sothe would've been a great pick, although by no means do I begrudge Soren getting in. Hell, Soren could've had a knife, as he can technically use them after promoting in Path of Radiance.

Alternatively, we could've gotten Jakob and Felicia as a paired Ring, instead of Camilla. That way, neither Fates route is being favored over the other.

2 hours ago, Seazas said:

Soren was superior. Mages needed an emblem like him and his personality is leaps and bounds more interesting for bouncing off the roster than Sothe. Sothe would've sucked in comparison especially when his dialogue and dynamic with Micaiah would be noticeably worse than Ike and Soren's.

I, for one, would be curious as to what Sothe - who has little regard for the gods - would think of working for a character treated as a living deity.

12 hours ago, redpandering said:

would have liked to see more monster-type Emblems like Tiki. Maybe A Laguz or the other animals from Fates/Awakening. Seems like wasted potential. Could have been interesting to have some more beasts running around.

I was just thinking that Tibarn or Naesala could've been really cool Emblems. Their beak and talon attacks could be treated as "arts", while Naesala would have the option of his "Vortex" skill for a magical attack, too.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I think Sothe would've been a great pick, although by no means do I begrudge Soren getting in. Hell, Soren could've had a knife, as he can technically use them after promoting in Path of Radiance.

Alternatively, we could've gotten Jakob and Felicia as a paired Ring, instead of Camilla. That way, neither Fates route is being favored over the other.

Hell, I'd argue for Kaze as a multi-route character.

6 hours ago, Deathcon said:

Leif usually fights with a sword in the Judgral games since the Daggers were added to the series from Path of Radiance and Awakening did technically gave him a Trickster Outfit in Awakening. I technically don't think it's likely IS going that route to give a Dagger to Leif like that in Engage.

I do think that upcoming Fell Xenologue from Wave 4 might possibly give some new Emblems as a DLC reward in one of the DLC maps and possibly going to have an Emblem to use Daggers that we haven't seen from the second Expansion Pass trailer.

Edited by King Marth 64

I do wonder how many people actually use non-effective damage Engage weapons in general? While a horseslayer or wyrmslayer could be used to secure certain kills, most of the Emblem weapons just seem way weaker than a forged, engraved weapon will ever be. Maybe in post game when you can actually upgrade your Emblem weapons with TT materials.

I guess I'll use 1-2 range ones like Ragnell and massive defensive boosts like Urvan on occassion as well...

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Hell, I'd argue for Kaze as a multi-route character.

Kaze would bring a cooler "Ninja" aesthetic to the table, alongside Shurikens! That said, I don't know if he's a significant enough character - he feels like Hoshido's answer to Silas, more than anything else. Compare to to Jakob and Felicia, who actually make the cover art in Birthright (while Gunter and Flora appear on Conquest's art). They're also with Corrin from basically day one on every route, are the default "My Castle" attendant, and are a quick and easy pick for Corrin to S-rank.

3 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I do wonder how many people actually use non-effective damage Engage weapons in general? While a horseslayer or wyrmslayer could be used to secure certain kills, most of the Emblem weapons just seem way weaker than a forged, engraved weapon will ever be. Maybe in post game when you can actually upgrade your Emblem weapons with TT materials.

I guess I'll use 1-2 range ones like Ragnell and massive defensive boosts like Urvan on occassion as well...

I recently had Fogado use Lyn's "Killer" Bow against a high-Res enemy, once I realized that his only weapons were the Radiant Bow, an Ike-engraved Longbow, and two Swords. Outside of that, Areadhbar's effect sometimes makes it the strongest option when I'm using Byleth on Vander (also for breaking Swordies).

9 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Kaze would bring a cooler "Ninja" aesthetic to the table, alongside Shurikens! That said, I don't know if he's a significant enough character - he feels like Hoshido's answer to Silas, more than anything else. Compare to to Jakob and Felicia, who actually make the cover art in Birthright (while Gunter and Flora appear on Conquest's art). They're also with Corrin from basically day one on every route, are the default "My Castle" attendant, and are a quick and easy pick for Corrin to S-rank.

I recently had Fogado use Lyn's "Killer" Bow against a high-Res enemy, once I realized that his only weapons were the Radiant Bow, an Ike-engraved Longbow, and two Swords. Outside of that, Areadhbar's effect sometimes makes it the strongest option when I'm using Byleth on Vander (also for breaking Swordies).

Versatility is a use case, yeah.

Also, ironically daggers would benefit more from Emblem weapons than any other weapon type considering they are almost completely devoid of sidegrades. They just have the normal Bronze to Silver upgrade path, plus S ranks. 

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Perhaps they could add Ryoma (who I assume is the most popular Birthright royal), though he certainly has many better weapons to use than daggers.

7 hours ago, Deathcon said:

Micaiah also does, in what I assume is a reference to Sothe.

55 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Yeah there are a few that I love using like Nosferatu, Ragnell, and Vajra Mushti (though that ones more cuz I find it funny than it actually being a better option than whatever tome Anna has equipped at the time). But generally I tend to avoid them as well.

Not really.

Prince Joshua in Assassin garb would be pretty cool to see, and it is weird an interesting dagger or two never found it's way on any of the Engage inventories. Especially with all the potential WPN options Byleth gives, and the class-role synergies of various Engage options.

Would be neat if Micaiah or Celica offered something like the Golden Dagger. Or like, throw the Soldier's Knife on Ike, or like a Combat Knife.

Also yeah, Wakazashi and oops 3 swords is a weird direction for Corrin. Could a gone a ton of direction with her.

Otherwise: I'm a little unsure about no Assassin Emblem being a sad move.

There aren't a ton of options for an Assassin pick (even with Feh's take on sword thieves = totally dagger thieves).

Also my favorite Emblems are ones that have interesting options for multiple classes over honing in on one particular playstyle, and I'm not sure how well an Assassin Emblem would play into that. Especially given how ~half-baked daggers are in this game (and several others).

That said:

Would be nice to have more meaningful dagger options over Iron/Steel/Silver (or honestly just forged Silver).

Some options like Prince Joshua as an Assassin, a Jackob+Felecia duo, or half-ninja/half-samurai Ryoma could be fun.

8 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

...most of the Emblem weapons just seem way weaker than a forged, engraved weapon will ever be. Maybe in post game when you can actually upgrade your Emblem weapons with TT materials.

I do wonder why the forge system keeps getting carried over from game to game.

It doesn't add new and interesting choices so much as it renders obsolete the vast majority of choices 😕

At least the engravings are a little spicy this time.

On 2/15/2023 at 11:59 AM, Fabulously Olivier said:

Did they though? We had a dedicated damage Emblem, and a dedicated support Emblem for magic, Byleth is objectively superior to both, and mages also had plenty of other options through style bonuses. 

Plus, they missed a beat mechanically. There is a vastly more powerful wind mage in the series with an equally vibrant personality, who also serves as the connecting bridge in two games AND serves the unique function of an offensive evasion tank mage. That character is Lewyn, who should have been a dlc Emblem.

This is an extremely minor point in the game. Bond conversations are basically a massive nothingburger, and only serve to annoy the player with artificially capped out bond ranks in missions.

Mages got left behind, the other classes benefit massively from emblems that mages really didn't in comparison. Especially with physical heavy the vast majority are.

It's one of the things DLC emblems have going for them. That and the unique interactions between them and the main emblems. They clearly weren't a nothingburger for Soren at least because he has an actual standout personality. His gloomier take on reality is vastly more entertaining to watch with the bubbly goofy cast. Soren's the only other case of short emblem conversations actually working for him, he was allowed to be as rude as he wanted without worry of trying to drag out a conversation that Soren clearly has no interest in.

Edited by Seazas