Speculating on the identity of [Endgame Spoilers]

Jotari

So, Ive just finished the game. Greta job just dropping the villains entire motivation on us at the end with no prior hints XD But anyway, it is a thing. Sobron is looking for the Emblem of Foundations...and unless they intend to answer who this guy (or girl, I don't think they're gender specific) is in a DLC campaign, I feel like they're begging us to speculate who the Emblem of foundations is. This seems to be the information we get

*It's a powerful Emblem, powerful enough to survive in another world, though I find that a bit suspect as, despite Marth's claims, all the Emblems seem to exist in the void between worlds just fine by trying really, really hard.

*They know what it feels like to be alone and have compassion for someone lonely

*They abandoned Sobron when he found other people to connect to, Sobron seems to think that's out of jealousy while Alear speculates it's because they waited around for Sobron to be able to stand on his own too feet (but really the disappearance might be for entirely unrelated reasons).

*Their name, Emblem of Foundations, probably means something.

*The invocation is Burn Us Emblem of Foundations.

*They are likely not one of the Emblems featured in the main game (so the 13 good guys in addition to the dark Emblems that show up for the finale).

My first though was Zelgius, as he fits the bill as a powerful individual who knows the feeling of loneliness and latches on to specific things and people. But I feel like Emblem of Foundations and Burn Us thought really suit him. So my next guess would be Bantu, he is by no means the most powerful character in the series, but he does know how to care for someone who is alone, especially a child dragon, and he is a Fire Dragon so Burn us would fit. Being the first dragon we see in the entire series also makes him suitable as the Emblem of Foundations too.

So those are my thoughts. Do you have any theories of your own?

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

(but really the disappearance might be for entirely unrelated reasons).

I've seen the theory it could be due to this:

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

*It's a powerful Emblem, powerful enough to survive in another world, though I find that a bit suspect as, despite Marth's claims, all the Emblems seem to exist in the void between worlds just fine by trying really, really hard.

Its power meant the Emblem could be fine... at first, but eventually faded. Perhaps it happening not long after Sombron found other people to be with was some dramatic coincidence, considering what brought forth.

---

Anyway, a title such as Foundations may be in line with Marth being the Emblem of Beginnings, as the first Lord of the series. So it's totally Kaga. Okay, serious answer... it's hard to say. At the very least, I do think it's a big clue the whole Foundations/Beginning correlation, and may have a reference to our world. So someone that came before Marth. Whether literal or symbolic or so.

That said, I'm pretty sure that in Chapter 24, Sombron showed up because he had detected a curious presence... and I think the implication is that he felt something similar to the Emblem of Foundations. "Burn Us" could also have real world symbolism, considering this series is named Fire Emblem. And Alear is the literally the titular Fire Emblem of Engage.

So... hmm...

I think it's just a cheap attempt at pathos with no deeper meaning. The game had already done "villain semi-redemption in death even though it contradicted their previous characterisation" with both Marni and Zephiel, so I wasn't inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt at that point. It might be set-up for the DLC, but if it's supposed to stand on its own as is, then I don't feel inclined to try to find deeper meaning in it.

That said, I do have a deliberately terrible hot-take meme theory: it's Donkey Kong. Emblem of Foundations: the original Donkey Kong took place on a building site, with actual literal foundations. "Burn us": he throws flaming barrels at Mario the whole time. Loneliness: Yeah, he kidnapped Pauline because he was a creepy incel. Can survive in other worlds: sure, I've played Smash Bros. It all fits! (None of it actually fits.)

5 hours ago, Florete said:

I think it's no one. It's just a generic "person I cared about" and isn't meant to reference any known character, or at least any currently-known character.

1 hour ago, lenticular said:

I think it's just a cheap attempt at pathos with no deeper meaning. The game had already done "villain semi-redemption in death even though it contradicted their previous characterisation" with both Marni and Zephiel, so I wasn't inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt at that point. It might be set-up for the DLC, but if it's supposed to stand on its own as is, then I don't feel inclined to try to find deeper meaning in it.

This is almost certainly no doubt true, but it doesnt stop speculation being a thing.

both Marni and Zephiel, so I

Zephiel! Damn, unexpected villain comeback for one of the characters in the series with least ammount of desire to redeem XD

That said, I do have a deliberately terrible hot-take meme theory: it's Donkey Kong. Emblem of Foundations: the original Donkey Kong took place on a building site, with actual literal foundations. "Burn us": he throws flaming barrels at Mario the whole time. Loneliness: Yeah, he kidnapped Pauline because he was a creepy incel. Can survive in other worlds: sure, I've played Smash Bros. It all fits! (None of it actually fits.)

Oh shit. I actually love this. Like, unironically.

It's Kaga. He is the foundation of Fire Emblem. The invocation is "Burn us", which makes sense since he likes to burn the player with his horrendous funny game design ideas. Kaga also playtests his games by ironmaning them so in a way, he "fights alone".

Ok jokes aside, i've seen speculation that it's Sommie and it actually kinda adds up.

Edited by Armagon

24 minutes ago, TheChoZenOne said:

It's King Garon. Wait, people haven't figured that out yet?

Best case scenario, its Garon.

Worst case scenario, its an OC brought up purely for dlc bait.

Most realistic case scenario, it's Jotari himself. 

7 hours ago, Shaky Jones said:

Most realistic case scenario, it's Jotari himself. 

Maybe Zero Emblem was the friends we made along the way.

7 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Arvis burns people, soloed an army, set the foundation for the main timeline's plot, and abandoned one of his children.

Checks out to me.

Speaking of, the Emblem of the Dark God that appears in the finale, you reckon that's meant to be Julius or Loptyr? The text seems to suggest it's actually Loptyr, which is kind of cool since we never actually saw the real Loptyr. Of course, this isn't the real Loptyr either. Man I love those final dark elements as an  idea, but I really wish they'd actually implemented designs, weapons or even vocal lines for them.

The ending pictures of the lords doing something and their retainers happily joining them in the next picture was pretty cute. Standout being team Hortensia cheering her up at her dad's grave, and Alcryst having a picture of his dad framed in his office. 

On 2/17/2023 at 6:35 PM, Fabulously Olivier said:

Arvis burns people, soloed an army, set the foundation for the main timeline's plot, and abandoned one of his children.

I'm not sure Arvis really soloed an army since he had the help of the royal guard and a ton of mages throwing nukes at Sigurd's army. Though since Arvis has both killer stat and proficiency in about every weapon type in the game we can assume he's supposed to be pretty strong. 

On 2/17/2023 at 10:44 AM, Jotari said:

Zephiel! Damn, unexpected villain comeback for one of the characters in the series with least ammount of desire to redeem XD

...and I literally just this minute realised that I said Zephiel when I meant Zephia. Sometimes, I am not smart. If their names are similar enough for me to confuse them when I'm not thinking straight, they probably belong on your "reused names" list.

Ok so I just beat the game. 

Honestly, my conclusion is that Zero Emblem never really existed, he was basically just an imaginary friend baby Sombron made to cope with being thrown into another world.

Like, the war in his original world was being fought over Emblem Rings, so they’re clearly as much of a “gotta catch em all” kinda deal as they were in our version of Elyos. But the little kid they exile just… takes one with him to another world and nobody ever notices. Like it’s not impossible (considering the events of one of the story’s major turning points hinges on Alear just not paying attention to his rings at all), but idk. Seems a bit off.

Plus, as he’s dying and supposedly sees Zero Emblem, even though the camera shows his point of view we still can’t see anything. Add that to the fact that the ring vanishes with him when he dies (when every other Emblem Ring stays there if their bearer dies), and I think it was more likely that he kind of just made it all up.

Granted, this calls into question how it actually vanished in the first place, but eh.

Also, the name Zero Emblem even sounds exactly like an OC a little kid would make so.

Edited by Anathaco

The text seems to suggest it's actually Loptyr, which is kind of cool since we never actually saw the real Loptyr.

Ynaut you think the dragon that appears when Loptyr tome is used is the real Loptyr?

Well in Code Geass Lelouch passes on the burden of being Zero to Suzaku, and Suzaku is a phoenix, which is kinda like a chicken, so I think Fa is the Zero Emblem.

12 hours ago, Anathaco said:

Like, the war in his original world was being fought over Emblem Rings, so they’re clearly as much of a “gotta catch em all” kinda deal as they were in our version of Elyos. But the little kid they exile just… takes one with him to another world and nobody ever notices. Like it’s not impossible (considering the events of one of the story’s major turning points hinges on Alear just not paying attention to his rings at all), but idk. Seems a bit off.

Unless Sombron bought the DLC of his original world!

49 minutes ago, Original Alear said:

Ynaut you think the dragon that appears when Loptyr tome is used is the real Loptyr?

Well in Code Geass Lelouch passes on the burden of being Zero to Suzaku, and Suzaku is a phoenix, which is kinda like a chicken, so I think Fa is the Zero Emblem.

No more than the Naga tome summons the actual Naga. It's more like a ghost clone.

57 minutes ago, Jotari said:

No more than the Naga tome summons the actual Naga. It's more like a ghost clone.

I wonder. Supplemental material did stated Naga, Loptr, and Forseti left imprints on their tomes. We know the Loptr and Forseti ones are actual echoes of the dragons. Hence Julius and 2ndGameHalf!Lewyn acting as they do. Curiously, the game never gave an indication regarding Naga, despite supposedly being the same.

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I wonder. Supplemental material did stated Naga, Loptr, and Forseti left imprints on their tomes. We know the Loptr and Forseti ones are actual echoes of the dragons. Hence Julius and 2ndGameHalf!Lewyn acting as they do. Curiously, the game never gave an indication regarding Naga, despite supposedly being the same.

All the more reason to show us Kurt in a remake.

• 4 weeks later...

Why is everyone forgetting Anri exists. He is Marth's ancestor and literally he set up the plot of those games because he was Nagas chosen champion so him being the Emblem of Foundations makes perfect sense.

A more off the wall theory could be Naga since her existence has been significantly important in several games and is a FOUNDATIONAL (get it) character. And the invocation would make sense since I believe Naga can breathe fire. 

On 3/23/2023 at 2:32 AM, EmblemLucile said:

Why is everyone forgetting Anri exists. He is Marth's ancestor and literally he set up the plot of those games because he was Nagas chosen champion so him being the Emblem of Foundations makes perfect sense.

While this would be yet another FE1 rep (assuming we see the Emblem of Foundations at some point), it would be cool to see someone like Anri in Engage. It'd spark the same kind of hype that seeing the likes of Altina and Ullr did in FEH. Also, Anri is a guy so his odds of getting into FEH is much lower than those two, so a surprise 8th DLC Emblem may be our only chance of ever seeing him.

@Anathaco:

Actually, who knows if you need all the Emblems in every world they appear in. There are only seven Emblem Bracelets for example, so maybe there were a ton of Rings in Sombron's home world and you only needed a set number to perform their version of a miracle. Of course, unless the Emblem of Foundations was dormant for everyone else it is curious how Sombron would have managed to steal the strongest of the bunch without anyone knowing (unless they were all equally strong and "my Emblem is the best!" was kid!Sombron's coping mechanism to deal with being cast out).

Edited by DefyingFates

5 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

While this would be yet another FE1 rep (assuming we see the Emblem of Foundations at some point), it would be cool to see someone like Anri in Engage. It'd spark the same kind of hype that seeing the likes of Altina and Ullr did in FEH. Also, Anri is a guy so his odds of getting into FEH is much lower than those two, so a surprise 8th DLC Emblem may be our only chance of ever seeing him

Not another FE1 rep, the nonexistent FE3 rep! Mystery of the Emblem is my least favourite game in the series yet I'm still peeved it got uniquely shafted.

Naga doesn't make any real sense as the Zero emblem. She's purely holy and light based, her chant being "burn us" make no sense. Especially when the emblems have a meta detail to them and nothing with Zero Emblem can fit Naga on a meta level.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Not another FE1 rep, the nonexistent FE3 rep! Mystery of the Emblem is my least favourite game in the series yet I'm still peeved it got uniquely shafted.

Technically Ike uses his FE10 design, so doesn't FE9 also lack a rep? Then again, Tellius works much better as a duology so maybe that doesn't really matter for those two titles. Regardless, it was weird to lack an FE3 rep when we got both Ike and Micaiah, that's true.