my oil paintings

canas is back

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk420/k...og/P8240531.jpg

this first one is of canas and lucius it's not finished but I haven't worked on it in a long time

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk420/k...og/P8240530.jpg

this one is an original one "the general's return" from a game I plan to make (no not a hack but an actual game)

Well, I've heard that oil and canvas is a pretty difficult medium to work with, so for that you get quite a few brownie points for actually being able to make shapes out of them. ;)

That said, try to avoid having blank spots on the canvas. Overall, though, they weren't too bad.

Well considering your probably not painting very much their pretty good. Hell my efforts on doing something similar would be at best only a slightly bit better and I'm an art major....

I detest paint in general and oil paint has mocked me for the last 6 or so years. -_-

I very much enjoyed the painting. Very well done. I have spent a quite a few years of my life writing and painting. I never had much luck with oil painting. so don't feel bad if people say that they don't like it, it's just because of 1 key thing.

they think that it is bad because they know that they could never do it themselves so they say it is bad to make you feel bad and not do it. That way they feel better than you because you are just like them.

But, my opinion is the opposite. I like it. I think that you captured them as much as you can on a canvas with oil paint. and i mst say bravo to you for being able t use the oils. :lol: keep up the good work. :lol:

they think that it is bad because they know that they could never do it themselves so they say it is bad to make you feel bad and not do it. That way they feel better than you because you are just like them.

SO, in other words, you think I say its bad because mine are bad and I want to lower his self esteem? Sorry, but I'm not a generic 1950s bully.

SO, in other words, you think I say its bad because mine are bad and I want to lower his self esteem? Sorry, but I'm not a generic 1950s bully.

You do sound like it.

One doesn't need to actually be able to do better to know something is bad. It's like with music; if I grab my bass and make horrible noises you'd know I'm bad at it regardless of you knowing or not knowing how to play the bass. Some of the smartest art critics and experts of all sorts are not actually "talented".

Canas a smaller brush would make your life much easier. Let your brushstrokes flow; don't tense your wrist. Always do the background first and paint objects in order of proximity. Try to study perspective. However this are but starter tips; I'd try to get into an oil painting class if I were you. With that and a couple of years of casual practice; you'll see a great improvement in your paintings.

Always do the background first and paint objects in order of proximity.

I hope you don't mind if I'm asking you a question here. ^^;;

But why should we do the background first? I mean, I always do the main object first since the painting will focus over them. Therefore I'm putting extra effort on it.

Or is it because we need to keep the main part as clean as possible? After all, I do agree that messy background is better than messy main object.

But why should we do the background first? I mean, I always do the main object first since the painting will focus over them. Therefore I'm putting extra effort on it.

Or is it because we need to keep the main part as clean as possible? After all, I do agree that messy background is better than messy main object.

Of course I don't mind ;) I'm actually very happy to see interest in ways of improving one's own work.

Okay, this is done in order to make sure the main object does not get messed up while you work on the background; fixing an erroneous brushstroke on a sky is pretty easy. Fixing a sky blue brushstroke that went right across the torso of your subject is very hard for a beginner. Also painting in order of proximity also allows us to notice how objects overlap which makes for an excellent 3D feel in your paintings (skilled artists could make it look like they overlap; regardless of the order in which they pained the objects but I see no sense in a beginner trying to complicate things even further).

Once you get good the order in which you work on the objects will be meaningless but I think that for a beginner; working on the background first is the smartest choice. Now when it comes to sketching before the drawing then I'd suggest to focus on the important parts first since errors are really easy to correct on this early stage.

Of course I don't mind ;) I'm actually very happy to see interest in ways of improving one's own work.

Okay, this is done in order to make sure the main object does not get messed up while you work on the background; fixing an erroneous brushstroke on a sky is pretty easy. Fixing a sky blue brushstroke that went right across the torso of your subject is very hard for a beginner. Also painting in order of proximity also allows us to notice how objects overlap which makes for an excellent 3D feel in your paintings (skilled artists could make it look like they overlap; regardless of the order in which they pained the objects but I see no sense in a beginner trying to complicate things even further).

Once you get good the order in which you work on the objects will be meaningless but I think that for a beginner; working on the background first is the smartest choice. Now when it comes to sketching before the drawing then I'd suggest to focus on the important parts first since errors are really easy to correct on this early stage.

I see, thank you very much for the explanation. ^^

Another question, if you don't mind.

I always having a hard time in coloring (whether it was in computer or manual with color pencil/crayon/water color paint).

All of them seem turned out...badly. >_<

No matter how I tried to make a gradient, they always look like having only 1 color. (Not to mention that I’m also bad in shading.)

Do you have simple tips on to color one’s drawing?

Edited by Tiltyu

I would suggest something different. I would suggest starting with thumbnails. Decide your focus when you're making those thumbnails, then proceed with the full thing.

Deciding on your focus will determine which you do first. If the environment is a reflection of the character, do the character first. If the character was just plopped in the environment, and the environment is the focus, do that first, then determine where the character is placed.

I see, thank you very much for the explanation. ^^

Another question, if you don't mind.

I always having a hard time in coloring (whether it was in computer or manual with color pencil/crayon/water color paint).

All of them seem turned out...badly. >_<

No matter how I tried to make a gradient, they always look like having only 1 color. (Not to mention that I’m also bad in shading.)

Do you have simple tips on to color one’s drawing?

Decide on a color pallet. Start with the mood you want your colors to portray, (ie, warm/cool) then decide which color goes where.

If it is an environment, determine your color pallet (warm or cool) then determine your saturation color. Light in environments saturate all the colors in said environment. A yellow shirt in a clear day isn't the same color as a shirt in a overcast day in winter, or a sunset.

Well in my favorite media, which is pastels; to make sure shades are done properly I contour the parts that require shading with a black carbon piece. Later I spread the dark line with my finger across the whole object. If I need to do light I do the same process but with a a white pastel. It's the same with paintings. Add black or white depending on how much light or shadow you need. Make a whole scale of color from the very brightest to the darkest. With acrylic paint I've seen some people paint the whole section they want in the desired color and then add white or black into the section they need with a small brush before the principal color dries out. It works pretty well thought it seems to be quite tough. Aside from that there are a few exercises I can recommend. My personal favorite is painting a sphere of one color going from a bright center to dark corners. Section sphere into layers and reduce the quantity of white until you have gotten to zero and then start adding black until the color is almost completely black.

Well in my favorite media, which is pastels; to make sure shades are done properly I contour the parts that require shading with a black carbon piece. Later I spread the dark line with my finger across the whole object. If I need to do light I do the same process but with a a white pastel. It's the same with paintings. Add black or white depending on how much light or shadow you need. Make a whole scale of color from the very brightest to the darkest. With acrylic paint I've seen some people paint the whole section they want in the desired color and then add white or black into the section they need with a small brush before the principal color dries out. It works pretty well thought it seems to be quite tough. Aside from that there are a few exercises I can recommend. My personal favorite is painting a sphere of one color going from a bright center to dark corners. Section sphere into layers and reduce the quantity of white until you have gotten to zero and then start adding black until the color is almost completely black.

Maybe I'll try that later. Since I don't have any media right now.

And the acrylic paint seem like a pain. >_<

One wrong move can cost you greatly.

What about shading with pencil only?

Determine your light source, and your shapes, and go from there. Really that's all it comes down to when dealing with shading of any sort.

There's also Crosshatching, where they use multiple lines to shade something darker.

I can determine the shape and the light source, but the problem comes on when I try to shade the picture. Usually the result won't make any sense at all, it's different than what I imagine. XD;;

Hey pencils are excellent for starters. The sphere exercise can be done in that way as well.

Alright then. I'll try it as soon as I can ^^

Edited by Tiltyu

@ Tiltyu: with pencils in general shading can also be done by putting less pressure on the pencil in the parts where you want the color to be lighter. This is very useful for making gradients, but shading with just one color won't make your picture feel as 'lively' as when you'd use more colors in your shadings (like blue, brown, green, whatever works with it at that moment). Experiment a bit, it'll pay off and it's fun.

I also use acrylics/oils/watercolor paint in real life and it's a lot more tricky than pencils. With watercolors you just make sure you add more water to the brush (and have some kind of paper to rub it off on when it's too wet) so you can make lighter colors (watery) and darker colors (less watery) with just one color. I usually just use oils and acrylics for....shadings and such, though I sometimes use them when I want the colors to be really apparent (you won't get that well with watercolors).

Meh, just experiment a lot XD you yourself are the best teacher you'll get.

As for the pics:

On the first I see you've been trying to make an outline with black paint, which makes it contrast massively with the colors of the figures themselves. Why not try coloring the background first, letting it dry and then sketch the figures you want to have on top roughly/lightly? You don't even need black outlines when you just use a darker color of the main color, or when you just use the shading correctly. But if you really want one, you could use a pencil or a fineliner or whatever. Just make sure it's not too thick like it is now.

Also expirement more with the background. It looks as though they're floating in a grey sky right now or whatever, if you added a shadow underneath them it'd already be better than it is now. You could also play with the fact that lucius' attack gives off light and such : D but then you'd have to do that on his clothing as well, since he's holding it.

Another small thing, I think it was said earlier?, but avoid white areas yeah. This counts more for the first than the second.

Over all: nice ^^ keep it going. It's nice to see someone trying difficult ideas with a difficult media at that, keep it up and you'll master it. I also like the background in the second picture~

Edited by Tirinity

@ Tiltyu: with pencils in general shading can also be done by putting less pressure on the pencil in the parts where you want the color to be lighter. This is very useful for making gradients, but shading with just one color won't make your picture feel as 'lively' as when you'd use more colors in your shadings (like blue, brown, green, whatever works with it at that moment). Experiment a bit, it'll pay off and it's fun.

I also use acrylics/oils/watercolor paint in real life and it's a lot more tricky than pencils. With watercolors you just make sure you add more water to the brush (and have some kind of paper to rub it off on when it's too wet) so you can make lighter colors (watery) and darker colors (less watery) with just one color. I usually just use oils and acrylics for....shadings and such, though I sometimes use them when I want the colors to be really apparent (you won't get that well with watercolors).

Meh, just experiment a lot XD you yourself are the best teacher you'll get.

Thank you for the tips. Though I think I'm better to stick with pencil first for now, until I get the hang of it.

Or else it could ended up like my old drawing, I tried to shade them with color pencils and they turned out to be a disaster.