my oil paintings

canas is back

Well in my favorite media, which is pastels; to make sure shades are done properly I contour the parts that require shading with a black carbon piece. Later I spread the dark line with my finger across the whole object. If I need to do light I do the same process but with a a white pastel. It's the same with paintings. Add black or white depending on how much light or shadow you need. Make a whole scale of color from the very brightest to the darkest. With acrylic paint I've seen some people paint the whole section they want in the desired color and then add white or black into the section they need with a small brush before the principal color dries out. It works pretty well thought it seems to be quite tough. Aside from that there are a few exercises I can recommend. My personal favorite is painting a sphere of one color going from a bright center to dark corners. Section sphere into layers and reduce the quantity of white until you have gotten to zero and then start adding black until the color is almost completely black.

I don't know if using black and white in that way is the best thing to do. Usually people don't make their colors for shadows and highlights simply by adding black and white, as that method tends to make dull-looking colors. You can try experimenting with complimentary and neighboring colors on the color wheel to shade. It's an easy way to make a color darker without using black. As for highlights, I tend to use light cyans and pinks, occasionally adding white in small amounts, but this really depends on the lighting you use.

Personally, I find acrylics easier to use than watercolors and colored pencils, but I guess it depends on the artist's style.

For the paintings:

I notice that you're using small canvases about the size of your hand. It might be a good idea to practice on larger canvases first or zoom in on your subjects if you're not used to painting details with oil paint. That way, you can develop your form and shading on a more visible scale. On that note, you seem to be using "lines" to shade (for example, on Lucius's cape). Usually, we see "areas" of darker and lighter colors, so try shading in that manner.

Oil paint is a rather difficult medium to use, so keep practicing. I think your paintings will look really impressive in the future if you keep working at it. ^^