Do Americans unironically realise the US isn't actually "America".

♠Soul♠

46 minutes ago, Benice said:

The name of the Red Sox is considered racist? I didn't actually know that...

(Not that I'm altogether shocked considerin' some of the other team names running around here in NA)

Oh wait, I'm thinking of the Redskins.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

I thought the local natives had backed that name?

I got the name wrong to begin with, so clearly I'm not an expert on the controversy! But there is some kind of controversy. People standing up for the rights of Native Americans who really don't care about superficial problems compared to their very real social issues does seem pretty par for course too, though. So I'd readily believe some natives back it. Course the other issue is that there are a bunch of distinct native tribes that people tend to amalgamate together who would naturally have varying opinions.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, but you also have the Red Socks which everyone thinks is racist.

We actually do not have the Redskins anymore specifically because of the offensive nature of it. They're the Commanders now.

...But even if we did, I think there'd be a notable difference between a name that is something you call yourself and a name that refers to a separate group of people. It'd be like having one team name be "The White Guys" while another team name is "The N***ers."

As far as I've heard, no one in the country has any similar issue with the Yankees.

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Oooooooh.

Yeah, no, that makes complete sense.

56 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

I thought the local natives had backed that name?

Really? Different groups of peoples prefer different terminology, but I thought that it was a racial slur...

Well, guess I know less than I think I do.

Yeah Gringo is not a racial term. As a Latin American Hispanic, I can confirm this. As a matter of fact, a Hispanic that grew up in the states and doesn't speak Spanish or rejects his culture can be considered a Gringo. It is kind of a generic term for an English speaking foreigner, kind of similar to Gaijin. And Yankee can also be considered derogatory, as in "Yankee go home" but Americans themselves don't consider it derogatory when they call each other by that term. It is kind of outdated and no one really uses it anymore.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I got the name wrong to begin with, so clearly I'm not an expert on the controversy! But there is some kind of controversy. People standing up for the rights of Native Americans who really don't care about superficial problems compared to their very real social issues does seem pretty par for course too, though. So I'd readily believe some natives back it. Course the other issue is that there are a bunch of distinct native tribes that people tend to amalgamate together who would naturally have varying opinions.

Yeah, treating Native Americans as this homogenous group is a mistake. These are a variety of nations that have different traditions and used to compete and even go to war with each other.

Same as the Hispanic term. The only shared attribute in that group is the language. 

27 minutes ago, rdrouyn said:

Yeah, treating Native Americans as this homogenous group is a mistake. These are a variety of nations that have different traditions and used to compete and even go to war with each other.

Same as the Hispanic term. The only shared attribute in that group is the language. 

It even happens when people are trting earnestly to do good. During COVID there waa a donation drive for some American tribe that were suffering particlarly bad. A massive number of donations came from Ireland as a native American tribe helped Ireland during the famine (and being a Native American tribe in the mid nineteenth century you can gaurantee they were not doing too hot at the time themselves). It was reported as a debt being repaid after almost 200 years. Only the tribe that helped Ireland was completely different to the tribe that was in trouble during COVID.  It's like if Italy helped you in the 1800s and you help Germany to return the favour XD Like, it's definitely still a good thing, because people in need are people in need regardless, but it was generosity from a form of ignorance.

Edited by Jotari

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Would a black or Asian American be referred to as a gringo?

Yep.

6 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Probably, but I won't be surprised if the the former is also called some variant of "negro."

Can confirm, alternatively "moreno".

There's also "trigeño" but I'm not too sure about this one. Like I've only ever heard Puerto Ricans use it so it seems like it's a Puerto Rican word. Venezuelans like myself don't have this word.

1 hour ago, rdrouyn said:

As a matter of fact, a Hispanic that grew up in the states and doesn't speak Spanish or rejects his culture can be considered a Gringo.

Also this but I personally haven't come across a Hispanic that doesn't speak it/rejects it.

Edited by Armagon

Reminds me we have the term Malinche for those, at least for those who are actually native to Latin America. Or we did? But in general just rejecting your own culture/heritage to favor a foreign one. In reference to the actual Malinche.

Hi, Native Lenca here

The United States is the United States, America is the continent, but of course many citizens of the states consider the term American to refer to just them specifically.

So here's my solution, we go back to the name Turtle Island for the continent and the US can keep their American name.

18 hours ago, Jotari said:

I don't speak for all, but that word makes me extremely uncomfortable.

12 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Hi, Native Lenca here

The United States is the United States, America is the continent, but of course many citizens of the states consider the term American to refer to just them specifically.

So here's my solution, we go back to the name Turtle Island for the continent and the US can keep their American name.

I love that name and never heard of it before (I'm guessing it's where the turtle in Terry Pratchett comes from) but America is the supercontinent (north and south) and Turtle Island is supposedly (google) just North America. So can we extend it to Central and South?

Appearantly it was a weird name from the start, as Amerigo Vespucci had a realtively common first name, but a relatively obscure family name, so it was odd choice to name the continent after his first name and not his second.

16 hours ago, Jotari said:

Appearantly it was a weird name from the start, as Amerigo Vespucci had a realtively common first name, but a relatively obscure family name, so it was odd choice to name the continent after his first name and not his second.

More common name...more democratic...I like it!

• 11 months later...

yo soul whatup haha, i'm kinda back im kinda not jah feel? real america is about living in your greyspace: the area between black & white. that's my opinion on it anyway.

hmu about what my hoods & haunts are thou..and the differences between them, colours, and why we emphasize certain things in specialized ways.

i like to be chill about LA most of the time > it keeps my Eli's Wood Handy, ya know? i chill and im able to play "Practice: FE" at Wil ;3

7 minutes ago, Original Alear said:

OH NO THE BOTS GOT TO BLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL HE NECROPOSTED A THREAD FROM ALMOST LAST YEAR

He still seems to have his essence though.

Well technically there isn't necroposting in far from the forest.

Edited by Jotari

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well technically there isn't necroposting in far from the forest.

Ya I don't have a problem with it from a moderation point of view, it's just that a lot of the necroposting these days seem to be done by bot like users.