Favorite Final Fantasy character?

Ace_

Bearing in mind that I'm not actually a FF fan (the only game I ever liked was 7 Remake), I've got a weird answer here.

Ardyn. He's got all the hallmarks of what I'd consider a traditional fantasy twist main villain, but with a style, flair, and charisma to him that makes him fit right in with many of my favorite video game characters. I strongly feel that FF15 Kingsglaive may well be the only film adaptation superior to its game, and Ardyn is a great scenery-chewer in the movie.

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Bearing in mind that I'm not actually a FF fan (the only game I ever liked was 7 Remake), I've got a weird answer here.

Ardyn. He's got all the hallmarks of what I'd consider a traditional fantasy twist main villain, but with a style, flair, and charisma to him that makes him fit right in with many of my favorite video game characters. I strongly feel that FF15 Kingsglaive may well be the only film adaptation superior to its game, and Ardyn is a great scenery-chewer in the movie.

Nice man. Ardyn is pretty cool. 😎 I haven't seen the movie yet but I'm currently playing FF15 

14 minutes ago, indigoasis said:

FFXV is a great game, I hope you're enjoying it!

From XV, I'd probably go with Aranea for... reasons. Overall, I'd probably say Laguna from FFVIII.

I am enjoying it a lot.😊 The story is great and all of the characters are interesting.

And nice. Aranea is cool

For a non FFXV pick, I'm going to bring up Vivi.

To be vague, there's the arc he goes through, how he fits in the world of FFIX, his being a good little black mage with solid offence and interplay with another party member and look at him:

FF9_Vivi_Victory_Pose.gif

For me, it has to be Aerith. Everything from her appealing design, to her kind, yet spunky personality, her incredibly powerful magic, and understated, yet crucial role in the story make her a great party member and incredible character. Also, you never forget your first.

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster

I like Yang from FF4. He's very powerful at every stage of the game where he's in the party, and a good update to the traditional Monk class by adding elemental claws and the Focus and kick commands to fine tune how you want to deliver damage. I honestly wish you could swap him over Edge or Kain for the final chunks of the game.

I also like Auron from FF10. On a repeat playthrough there's a lot of satisfying double meanings to his dialogue. He holds back information, but always for reasons that sound logical once he explains it. My only complaint is that his combat niches are not very well balanced. If he just had three or so more points of agility he'd be less of a drain on your action economy. And his overdrives aren't very impressive either for how much effort they take to unlock.

11 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

I like Yang from FF4. He's very powerful at every stage of the game where he's in the party, and a good update to the traditional Monk class by adding elemental claws and the Focus and kick commands to fine tune how you want to deliver damage. I honestly wish you could swap him over Edge or Kain for the final chunks of the game.

GBA FFIV is cool like that for endgame, though you have to go back to switch him in after Babil. I've heard the PSP version is more solid in challenge and also has that content and the ability to cycle party members, so maybe that should be the consideration for emulation?

I always had a weakness for Golbez. He just looks and acts so imposing. Plus the idea of an armored mage just seems epic in general. Golbez is also a character that keeps getting expanded on. Where it was just simply brainwashing in the old games, the ds remake implied it was more akin to indoctrination.

Zidane's pretty much the most likable fellow around so I always took a shine to him. Then there's his little bro Vivi who's got a very strong arc.

I've always liked the "loveable rogue" archetype and Zidane is unapologetically that, so he's at the top of the list for me. From the same game, I can't disagree with anything @Punished Dayni said about Vivi. Bonus points for having very sweet interactions with Zidane (and Steiner, surprisingly enough), too.

Out of the female leads, I'm going to say Aeris, to no small part because she is not what you'd expect the healer chick to be. She's headstrong, flirty, including towards Cloud despite (or because) she clearly sees that Tifa's also in love with him but too cowardly to act on it, has a little too much fun with Cloud's Crossdressing Calamities, threatens to rip a pimp's balls off... Very much a person with all her imperfections, not an idealised twue wuv for the protagonist.

On the villain side, Jecht, as far as he can be called one. I like how his own journey makes its appearances thoughout the game, through Auron narrating, the movie spheres, and occasional pyrefly illusions, showing how he becomes a better person over time in a way that very much mirrors Tidus's own growth.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if he's my favorite character per se, but Kuja is definitely my favorite villain. I just think he's written really, really well. He manages to be super fucking evil without coming across as cartoonish. He also just bounces off the cast really well tot he extent that he feels threatening, but not absurdly over powered. He has to use his own wits to get the upper hand over Zidane (and Garland). He also just has this fabulous narcissistic streak that makes his failures rewarding to watch, yet still just pitiful enough that a turn away from evil doesn't feel like an ass pull (despite the boss before it definitely feeling like one). To put it another way he paradoxically doesn't have any good in him or any redeeming features, yet still feels like he could be a good person because despite it all he still feels human. Which is very much in line with the themes of Final Fantasy IX.

Garland I'm also really fond of despite his limited screentime. The old man robot look really works for me and he's like a foil to Kuja in how it feels like there's so little evil in him despite all the monstrous stuff he is responsible for. His purpose and desires (or lack their off) are so different to that of a natural creature. He's not a "beep bup what is human" style robot, nor is he the common "basically a human made of metal" robot. It's like what an actual sophisticated robot would be like. Intelligent, logical, reasonable, but distinct and different. I'm actually really glad he was in a game without voice acting as I feel like it'd really be easy for a voice actor to fuck up this very fine line. And his last line before the final boss battles is just really interesting.

Edited by Jotari

Probably my traditional answer to this question would be Yuna. Introverted and socially awkward, it's fun to watch her grow to become the person who delivers the absolutely banger "I will do it without false hope" speech and overthrow a tradition which accepts an awful status quo. She also has what I considered, at least at the time of the game's release, one of the more genuine romantic relationships in JRPGs; you can easily see what she and Tidus see in each other. Their ending is absolutely beautiful too.

From the same game, I think Auron, Wakka, and Tidus are all excellent as well. Probably my favourite cast overall.

In FF7 I really like the big four PCs (Cloud, Barret, Tifa, Aerith) and most of my enjoyment of FF7 Remake came from the fact that yes, the writers got these characters and gave them more time to shine and interact. I'll give a particular shout-out to Barret, who passionately rejects the status quo and fights for a better world, even understanding and taking responsibility for the suffering he causes.

I may have a type.

FF13 is the third main FF where I like quite a few of the characters... all of the PCs, really, the story is about how they handle their shitty situations and it's a great character study. I'm not the biggest fan of FF9 in general, I'll second the nods for Vivi and Kuja. And I'd be remiss not to mention my OG favourite Celes, who isn't as deep as some of the later characters but sure gets some great moments, and Squall, whose inner monologue is so delightfully teenagerish that I can't help but smile.

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

She also has what I considered, at least at the time of the game's release, one of the more genuine romantic relationships in JRPGs; you can easily see what she and Tidus see in each other. Their ending is absolutely beautiful too.

Have there been any better rpg romances since then though? I certainly can't think of any before or after that trump Tidus and Yuna in the genuine category.

On 3/1/2023 at 7:24 AM, Zapp Branniglenn said:

I like Yang from FF4. I honestly wish you could swap him over Edge or Kain for the final chunks of the game.

You could in the GBA remake. Real shame they didn't keep that feature for the DS remake alongside the lunar dungeons. I guess they thought playing at the other characters again would interfere with the augment system and they liked the idea of the retired characters passing on their skills better.

Edited by Jotari

On 3/1/2023 at 4:58 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

I always had a weakness for Golbez. He just looks and acts so imposing. Plus the idea of an armored mage just seems epic in general. Golbez is also a character that keeps getting expanded on. Where it was just simply brainwashing in the old games, the ds remake implied it was more akin to indoctrination.

Cool music when he shows up too

I’m kinda partial to Kain myself

This is my first time commenting in months but whatever, topic seems fun.

Anyway, Galuf. V is probably my favorite FF (I’m excluding non-numbered FF games, thus ignoring the Bravely games) and his entire progression is beautiful. I also love his relationship with Krile (and the rest of the team, obviously). Lastly, he isn’t the kind of character most would consider hot, but the game makes such a good job at making him look badass that he’s the closest thing to my FF “husbando”, as much as I don’t love the term.

Honorable mentions include Faris, Edgar and Sabin, Garnet and Edea (Bravely).

I really like Ignis. Especially after his dlc chapter, it’s clear he’s willing to risk everything for Noctis, which makes the story so much more emotional. It also goes so well with the Stand By Me theme.

• 3 weeks later...