I hate AP exams....

Liz

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That explains why guys like History. Still can't figure out why girls like English so much. Is it that they like to make a whole bunch of unnecessary connections and stuff?

actually, english is my weakest subject.....

i do better in calculus and physics

Its not a stereotype, it's true statistically that more girls enroll in higher level English classes than guys.

That doesn't justify your stereotype, and it's not what I've seen anyway.

Yeah, not to mention breaking stereotypes when I zone out in history class trying to figure out how the strategies work if they mention anything about them...

You know what the other thing about history is? It's almost always written by and about the guys. I'm thinking that has something to do with the gender imbalance in AP classes.

Right now i'm in AP US History. Can't wait to take my exam in less than 2 weeks[/sarcasm]

The best part is writing the DBQ essays. LOADS of fun.[/sarcasm again]

I could take AP English next year but i really, really don't want to do the summer assignment they make us do... and i thought my honors english summer assignment was bad enough... i was reading 4 books, writing journal entires every two chapters on crap, and a report on one of the books. That honestly took the fun out of the last 2 weeks of my summer vacation.

I think it depends a fair amount on the attitude and methods of the teacher. During the previous school year I had to write an essay nearly every week and each test was made up of two forty minute essays so as to mimic the style of the written portion of the AP exam. My teacher this year has had my class write many more analytical pieces but they are usually much less intensive than those from the prior class; I have written very few full essays this school year. This year's class has been much easier than last year's class was.

Fireman, have you any in taking a more extensive English course? You might be allowed to try it out and decide later whether or not you wish to continue with the class. Many students dropped out of my class this year during the summer after tackling the summer reading. There were, however, two students, who initially expected to drop the class, persevered and are now performing exceedingly well.

SmartRutter7, out of curiosity, do you have to write a lot of DBQ essays in class? My teacher last year said that approximately half of AP History teachers focus heavily on effective essay writing whilst the other half focus almost entirely on repeated exposure to the content being taught. My teacher fell into the latter category but I am curious as to how a class which spends more time on DBQ writing (we did not touch upon the topic until late March or early April and we spent only five or six hours looking at example essays at best), if that is how your class is taught, is structured and would compare with my previous class.

SmartRutter7, out of curiosity, do you have to write a lot of DBQ essays in class? My teacher last year said that approximately half of AP History teachers focus heavily on effective essay writing whilst the other half focus almost entirely on repeated exposure to the content being taught. My teacher fell into the latter category but I am curious as to how a class which spends more time on DBQ writing (we did not touch upon the topic until late March or early April and we spent only five or six hours looking at example essays at best), if that is how your class is taught, is structured and would compare with my previous class.

We don't actually write any of them in class. Our class consists of mainly lecture and us writing down our own notes. We just get the DBQ packet, and have a while to write them by ourselves for homework. From the start of the year we got a new DBQ about every 2-3 weeks, our teacher grades them all as they would be on the exam, and also points out on what areas of our essays we need to improve upon. Right now we're pretty much done with those, since we have our exam in little over a week and he doesn't want to overload us with work and studying. Speaking of which, i have review assignments due soon. <_<

Also, for AP US History, the summer assignment i had to do was to read 5 chapters of a text book and take notes.

At least next year i can take AP Calculus. That should be fun since i'm really good at math. 100% average for the two quarters this year. :D (Pre-Calculus)

Ok, it looks like our classes roughly align. My class, however, did not often involve note-taking during the teacher's lectures because it was expected that the students would already have notes from assigned readings.

Are you intending to take AP Calculus AB or AP Calculus BC? My maths are deficient in comparison to other subjects but motivated students in my school have opted to strive for the BC exam despite the fact that my school does not offer the BC course.

in Maryland here, we're facing a budget crisis which means our AP funnding got cut and teachers were let go, which means those student students will HAVE to assimilate into the honors classes (where I am) making at least 30 kids per class... which is bad.

o_o