I hate AP exams....

Liz

What country are there "AP" exams? I've not heard of them before.

Advanced Placement exams are in America. These AP classes are takaeble in most high schools in the country. Completing these courses gives you college credit prior to goin to college.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, what I never got about AP classes is their employment of over-the-summer work. I took AP English last year, and they wanted us to read The Odyssey over summer (not a bad thing mind you). Then we went and did a bunch of more reading, and more reading, but it never really contributed to much of anything.

Now it's nearing the end of my Senior year and I opted to spend my entire year taking actual college classes. I've taken college English--it's not that hard. College English Honors isn't as repetitious. Maybe because those classes actually make sense; maybe I've gotten used to the college standard. But really, high school just seems to waste so much time compared to college life, education included >.>

Advanced Placement exams are in America. These AP classes are takaeble in most high schools in the country. Completing these courses gives you college credit prior to goin to college.

I see.

Well, good luck with that, everyone. I'll continue with my A levels on my lonesome.

*Leaves*

Ok, it looks like our classes roughly align. My class, however, did not often involve note-taking during the teacher's lectures because it was expected that the students would already have notes from assigned readings.

Are you intending to take AP Calculus AB or AP Calculus BC? My maths are deficient in comparison to other subjects but motivated students in my school have opted to strive for the BC exam despite the fact that my school does not offer the BC course.

We don't really have assigned readings. Every unit we're expected to look through the corresponding chapter in our textbook. Only time we needed to take textbook notes was for the summer assignment. We don't actually get checked on if we do it now, but we have note cards and paragraph questions to do from the information in our notes and textbook. Actually, other than that, the only other homework is studying, DBQ, and seminar packets every so often.

Uh, our school just calls it AP Calculus they don't really say anything about AB or BC. What's the difference anyway?

Generally, AB gets you out one semester of college math, while BC gets you out of two.

I'm taking AB...

me too!!!!

they don't offer BC in my school though....

I always thought we get credit if we do reasonably well on the exams rather than just taking the courses alone.

I see.

Well, good luck with that, everyone. I'll continue with my A levels on my lonesome.

*Leaves*

AP is very roughly synonymous with A-Levels or International Baccalaureate, but I don't think that AP exams are as widely recognized internationally as the latter two, if at all.
But really, high school just seems to waste so much time compared to college life, education included >.>
I have no personal experience with being educated in a college environment but I am inclined to agree with you. I believe that the school classroom environment is ineffective for the teaching of some kinds of material. A teacher is forced to either match the pace of the slowest or least motivated students or neglect a portion of the class to make superior progress (an option that a teacher in the United States does not have available to him or her). The students as a whole suffer as a result. This is most pronounced in foreign language classes which I have found utterly useless when the number of students nears ten, and still inherently limiting even with a much reduced class size.

Could you elaborate on how your college English course differs from AP English courses? I would assume that your class may have more leeway because it does not have to be taught according to a final exam, but that is an uneducated assumption.

I always thought we get credit if we do reasonably well on the exams rather than just taking the courses alone.

actually you only get college credit if you pass the exam. the class influences in your GPA only.

you can actually challenge an AP exam without taking the class if you think you are ready for it. you can get some college credit if you pass it.

I Would Bare The Pain With You But I Don't Take My AP Exams Until Next Year ;)

i never had to take them, haha