Do You Think Becoming Blind is a Fate Worse Than Death?

Randoman

Do You Think Becoming Blind is a Fate Worse Than Death?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think Becoming Blind is a Fate Worse Than Death?

• Yes
    • No

Do you think becoming blind is a fate worse than death?

I'll admit, I think it is, though if I was in a drastic situation that would result in either me becoming blind or me dying, I'd still choose becoming blind.

I mean, I know that blind people aren't completely helpless and are still capable of things like reading (via braille) and working at jobs that don't require sight. But the idea of losing the most major sense (in most people's eyes), is really scary and intimidating.

If we're talking complete blindness, then I'd say not at all. Sure, it would still massively suck, and you'd lose out on being able to do a lot of things, but I think you'd still be more than capable of living life from day to day just fine. Like any major change in life, it's something you can eventually adapt and adjust to, and if a character like Daredevil is any indication, you can develop beyond those limitations and grow in other other areas of life, if not outright turn that weakness into a strength.

I think an important distinction when talking about disability is whether somebody has lived with it most/all of their life, or if it happened to them later in life. Someone who has been blind for as long as they can remember doesn't particularly mind it. It's the only life they've ever known. But to any of us it's a tragedy because we weren't expecting and preparing for such a life changing fate. If someone were losing their eyesight gradually, and were made aware of it, they would at least have the time to come to grips with the change. Make necessary preparations for how to live your life in that state. Someone given only a few months to live would be going through the same process, but once you're dead that's it. There's no life to be lived after that

So if the choice was between being killed in a freak accident, or losing my eyes in a freak accident, I suppose I would choose death. I'd rather not elaborate publicly on why I arrive at that answer. But if the choice were between being given three years to live or three years of remaining eyesight, I think I would choose the latter. 

Imo, no. I would certainly choose blindness over death. Yeah loosing a sense would suck, but you can still live a fulfilling life as a blind person. I would actually chose blindness over deafness tbh. Seeing, but not being able to hear would be a much scarier experience for me personally, but again, I also don't think I'd choose dying over it.

If I was taken care of financially and someone would read books to me all the time, I think I'd be OK. I'd probably also listen to a LOT more music, because that's something I already wish I did a little more of, even if I'm a bit obsessed with games. I don't think I could manage to carry out my current responsibilities at this time without eyes. I'm an OK typist but I make enough mistakes that I'd need more work to supervise the mistakes than makes sense, especially since it's high volume work.

Personally I don't know a lot about all the resources that are available to the blind. Definitely would make me sad. If I could be guided into work that blind people could do that might be OK.

• 8 months later...