What if a "Deluxe" edition of SSBU was released on the next Nintendo System?

Lord_Brand

What if a "Deluxe" version of SSBU was released on the next Nintendo system, with all the DLC from the Switch version included, and they released a new wave of DLC for the Deluxe version? Furthermore, all your data from the Switch version carries over, including unlocked Fighters, Spirits, achievements, etc. A lot of the groundwork would already be done since they'd be using the Switch version as a starting point. Thus, the majority of development time could be spent on creating more content for the game. Obviously Fighters, Stages, Spirits, and Mii Costumes would be the focus, but I feel like there's potential for some other additions to the game as well.

• Extra Bosses, including some for characters who originally didn't get any despite having easy choices (like Mega Man and Sonic).
  • Custom Specials, as they already have the framework thanks to the Mii Fighters.
  • Target Smash courses, ideally with a greater variety than in Brawl and perhaps with the option of creating custom courses.
  • Past stages that were left out of Ultimate.
  • Smash Run.
  • New Pokemon and Assists, as well as Pokeball and Assist Trophy versions of characters who are now also playable (like Charizard and Little Mac).
  • Poke Ball and Assist Trophy selection menus that let you choose which Pokemon/Assists appear.
  • An expanded Tournament mode that now allows up to 64 contestants, with battle sizes up to 8, up to 8 brackets, and the option of teams of 2, 3, or 4 fighters who advance or get knocked out together.
  • Info in the Spirit Gallery that allows it to serve as a replacement for the Trophy Galleries from Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4.
  • Individual Spirit Boards for every single fighter, making it easier to find some Spirits

Really, if Ultimate was "Everyone is here", then U-Deluxe could be "Everything is here".

New Fighters (Base)

Spoiler
  • Waluigi
  • Dixie Kong
  • Waddle Dee
  • Krystal
  • Meowscarada
  • Alear
  • Octoling ε
  • Shadow the Hedgehog ε
  • Black Mage
  • Chocobo & Moogle
  • Proto Man
  • Chun-Li
  • Alucard
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Rayman

New Stages and Music (Base)

Spoiler
  • Bowser's Castle
  • Dinosaur Planet
  • Mesogoza
  • The Somniel
  • Wumpa Islands
  • The Glade of Dreams

New Bosses

Spoiler
  • Mother Brain
  • Death Egg Robo
  • Wily Machine

What would you all like to see in a Deluxe edition?

Edited by Lord_Brand

• Lord_Brand changed the title to What if a "Deluxe" edition of SSBU was released on the next Nintendo System?

Honestly, I would take an completely new edition over paying 70 bucks for an re-release. I really don't have much of an issue with Mario Kart 8 DX because I never had an Wii U, but it mostly felt like an cash grab and an lot of the tracks in the recent wave of DLC just kind of felt weird to me.

A big question to ask is, "Will the next Nintendo home system be backwards-compatible with Switch titles?" If so, then I think Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Deluxe would be... a bit of a waste, honestly. You can already play Smash Ultimate on the successor console, and anyone who's a big enough fan to buy a "Deluxe" version has already bought the Switch... and the game... and probably the DLC. So there'd be very little "new" here.

That said, if we assume backwards compatibility won't be a thing, then Smash Ultimate Deluxe is a more appealing prospect. Especially if it offers some substantial graphical upgrade, like being in 4K. Either way, "Smash on the latest Nintendo system" is always gonna be a stellar seller.

11 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:
  • Past stages that were left out of Ultimate.
  • Smash Run.

Probably the two biggest things I'd want to see. Bring back Poke Floats, please! And Smash Run was the successor to Kirby Air Ride that nobody saw coming.

Sakurai talks a big game about how monumental Smash Ultimate was, how much work goes into getting companies to collaborate on one continuous project. If you start over, you'd have to be repeating that work for as long as seems reasonable. Simply re-releasing the same game skirts a lot of the issues, especially if contracts were signed for "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - and any future re-releases" which is entirely sensible. They would just have to keep the name 'Ultimate' in there. I'm certain that this is what he would want. Any game developer would jump at the opportunity of skipping redundancies and perfecting their biggest project. And Nintendo wouldn't mind something like this as a launch title too. Everything about Ultimate Deluxe makes sense logistically.

But as for my tastes, all I care about is fixing/expanding Online play and adding/re-adding modes. New Characters is a no brainer way to get people to double dip. They are the main draw for casual audiences. But if you ask me Smash's roster has been finished since Brawl with the lone exception of Ridley. Smash's cosmetic game is weak, and that's weird when it's developed primarily by Tekken staff. I wanna go online with bizarre characters that aren't just Miis, and Nintendo characters have had so many looks across the years. Why limit it to 8 skins?

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

A big question to ask is, "Will the next Nintendo home system be backwards-compatible with Switch titles?"

I wouldn't hold your breath. Nintendo Handhelds had a good track record of BC before Switch, but only one home console had this feature, out of six total beginning at Super Nintendo. That's a tie with Sega and they weren't around nearly as long. I can already hear the press release: "We're dedicated to continuing support for Nintendo Switch alongside the New Super Switch system", which is exactly what they said about 3DS.

But if it did happen, I don't think Nintendo is at all above selling the game again in spite of BC. It did not stop them remastering Gamecube games for the Wii. Game Boy games on GBA, GBA games on DS, DS games on 3DS, etc. 

8 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

I wouldn't hold your breath. Nintendo Handhelds had a good track record of BC before Switch, but only one home console had this feature, out of six total beginning at Super Nintendo. That's a tie with Sega and they weren't around nearly as long. I can already hear the press release: "We're dedicated to continuing support for Nintendo Switch alongside the New Super Switch system", which is exactly what they said about 3DS.

What?

The Wii was backwards-compatible with the GameCube, and the Wii U was backwards-compatible with the Wii. That's two systems. In any case, I could see it going either way for the Switch's successor.

13 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

But if it did happen, I don't think Nintendo is at all above selling the game again in spite of BC. It did not stop them remastering Gamecube games for the Wii. Game Boy games on GBA, GBA games on DS, DS games on 3DS, etc. 

Well, you've got me there. I do wonder if a new system would offer a "New Play Control" that "justifies" the rerelease, like Pikmin on Wii. Personally, I'd call cases like "Pokemon RBG on GameBoy into Pokemon FRLG on GBA" eminently justifiable. Stuff like "Bowser's Inside Story on 3DS", yeah that's silly. I'm curious about "GBA games on DS" - the only ones I can think of are Ace Attorney, but those were justifiable as the first international versions of the franchise.

59 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

The Wii was backwards-compatible with the GameCube, and the Wii U was backwards-compatible with the Wii. That's two systems.

oh that's right. And I should know because my Wii U is my Wii and my Wii is my gamecube.

New fighters

Spoiler
  • #83. Waluigi
  • #84. Raven Beak
  • #85. Bandana Waddle Dee
  • #86-87. Noah & Mio
  • #88. Dr. Eggman
  • #89. 2B
  • #90. Crash Bandicoot
  • #36ε. Dixie Kong
  • #64ε. Octoling
  • #82ε. Riku

New stages

Spoiler
  • Bowser’s Castle
  • Waluigi Pinball
  • Grassland Groove
  • Planet ZDR
  • Waddle Dee Town
  • Erythia Sea
  • Egg Planet Park
  • City Ruins
  • N. Sanity Beach
  • All previously missing stages return

New modes

Spoiler
  • Smash Run
  • Mode Builder (create your own Target Test and Classic Mode route and share them online)
  • Spirit rematches are available from the start
  • WoL changes:
    • 2-player co-op is now available
    • Very Hard mode, where the player takes twice as much damage; however, this can only be accessed via New Game+
    • Each player can also set a party of 3 fighters and use Spirit Board items during a New Game+ run on any difficulty
  • Classic Mode changes

• You can now have up to 5 lives during Classic Mode

• You can now choose between Rising Difficulty (represented by a flaming skull) and Static Difficulty (represented by a human fist)

• Online now has rollback net code, but with some changes:

• No items

• All stages are Battlefield and Ω form only

• 4 players max

• All the previous DLC characters and new characters are integrated into Spirit Battles and Classic Mode

Edited by Perkilator

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2023 at 3:20 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

What?

The Wii was backwards-compatible with the GameCube, and the Wii U was backwards-compatible with the Wii. That's two systems. In any case, I could see it going either way for the Switch's successor.

Well, you've got me there. I do wonder if a new system would offer a "New Play Control" that "justifies" the rerelease, like Pikmin on Wii. Personally, I'd call cases like "Pokemon RBG on GameBoy into Pokemon FRLG on GBA" eminently justifiable. Stuff like "Bowser's Inside Story on 3DS", yeah that's silly. I'm curious about "GBA games on DS" - the only ones I can think of are Ace Attorney, but those were justifiable as the first international versions of the franchise.

If they do make a SSBUD for the next console and it has new content, I think it'd be cool if they added that content to the Switch version as well, even if it has to wait a month or two. Ideally, they'd make sure the two versions can connect and share data (and work on their netcode while they're at it).