So, we have now been introduced to 2 classes and I'm wondering what people think of them. Starting out with the more recent introduction first because I have less to say about it is the Mage Cannoneer:

The class is armored, and is a mono-weapon class with S-rank in cannons. The Magic Blast used in the paralogue is a B rank siege weapon with 3-8 range but accuracy reduces at high range. Despite the weapon running on magic and the class' name, this enemy's stats are more physically oriented.

Then there are the Enchanters from Soren's paralogue:

The class is support-focused with B arts and B daggers, level 5 access to the convoy, and provides a variety of buffs based on item usage or weapon syncs. I'm really interested to run this class eventually. Initially I thought this would be more of an apothecary item-throwing class, but is instead focused around consuming items and spreading buffs to nearby allies. The buffs you can get from the weapon syncing side are also intriguing. I imagine the class could pair very well with Micaiah, being able to pull any staff you need out of the convoy on a whim (without being stuck with Alear's bad magic stat). It could also work with Lucina, since you get chain attack poison from daggers and Qi-Adept 100% bond shield. The focus on support makes me think that for the most part the stats don't matter and it can be good on any character (except magic for staves if running Micaiah).

1 hour ago, BloodRonin said:

I really hope these classes are for enemy units only. I find them to be underwhelming if you compare them to the dlc classes in 3 houses.

I think Enchanter could be an interesting alternative support class. Besides, we don't know if these are the only classes we'll get: it's possible we'll get more traditional/ practical classes too and these two are just some wacky ones IS wanted to show off ahead of time.

23 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I think Enchanter could be an interesting alternative support class. Besides, we don't know if these are the only classes we'll get: it's possible we'll get more traditional/ practical classes too and these two are just some wacky ones IS wanted to show off ahead of time.

I have to agree with Ronin here, I don’t see them adding the magic bombs as player useable. It technically a whole new weapon type.

The Convoy skill seems like something that's more for the player's hands than the enemy. Soren's Enchanters I don't believe use the convoy; they just filled out their inventory with items at the start of the map.

Adding a new weapon type is a bit odd, but it being a siege attack class makes me think of the Ballistician class, so I don't think it is unprecedented either. Arts only have 7 weapons outside engages, so I could see them adding ~4 different cannons to fill out this DLC class and calling it a day. The odd thing moreso is that the class has no secondary weapon but the enemy has physically oriented stats. It's a magic cannoneer—will there be any physical cannons to make use of that enemy's stat distribution? This enemy may just have low magic to reduce the burden on players of dealing with an enemy siege weapon.

magic cannon guy is quite underwhelming imo i think we need more dagger/bow users in general with that said i think the enchanter class to be interesting but its a support so its kinda meh in this game the abilitys your guys have are minimal so i dont even get the need for new classes in the 1st place but if we were talking about a game like Fates/Awakening then yeah gimme more classes = more skills ( 3houses was very poor with ability's its 1 of the reasons why i didn't enjoyed it so much)

21 minutes ago, Kujja said:

magic cannon guy is quite underwhelming imo i think we need more dagger/bow users in general with that said i think the enchanter class to be interesting but its a support so its kinda meh in this game the abilitys your guys have are minimal so i dont even get the need for new classes in the 1st place but if we were talking about a game like Fates/Awakening then yeah gimme more classes = more skills ( 3houses was very poor with ability's its 1 of the reasons why i didn't enjoyed it so much)

You don't have a single point of punctuation and it is tilting me.

To actually add to the conversation, I think both classes could be fun. I'd like something gimmicky and unique as opposed to overpowered. Mage Cannoneer is like a walking turret. Imagine all the fun you could have with launching aoes like that. And a class with convoy access and the ability to buff units is right up my kind of play.

I would be surprised if there weren't another class or two waiting for us in Wave 4. Only time will tell, but with everything this final wave gives us, I would be just fine with these two alone. Though I certainly wouldn't mind more debuff options.

13 minutes ago, Xylaugheon Daily said:

You don't have a single point of punctuation and it is tilting me.

To actually add to the conversation, I think both classes could be fun. I'd like something gimmicky and unique as opposed to overpowered. Mage Cannoneer is like a walking turret. Imagine all the fun you could have with launching aoes like that. And a class with convoy access and the ability to buff units is right up my kind of play.

I would be surprised if there weren't another class or two waiting for us in Wave 4. Only time will tell, but with everything this final wave gives us, I would be just fine with these two alone. Though I certainly wouldn't mind more debuff options.

I really hope we get more than those 2 as they are not interesting at all. It would be disappointing but then again all the DLC have been so far.

Well, somebody hacked it onto the player and that's a lot more versatility on the new weapon type than I expected. They seem to have gotten around sinking resources into weapon variety by changing the cannon blast animations but not the cannon model itself. Lots of variety here as a debuffing class since the cannons include infinite-use freeze, silence, and fracture. Also, Lucina chain attack can spread poison off daggers, so can it spread all the debuffs the status cannons provide? At 3-8 range (+ movement for Dual Assist (+))? This suddenly became a much more interesting class to me.

Edited by FashionEmblem

6 minutes ago, FashionEmblem said:

Well, somebody hacked it onto the player and that's a lot more versatility on the new weapon type than I expected. They seem to have gotten around sinking resources into weapon variety by changing the cannon blast animations but not the cannon itself. Lots of variety here as a debuffing class since the cannons include infinite-use freeze and silence. Also, Lucina chain attack can spread poison off daggers, so can it spread all the debuffs the status cannons provide? At 3-8 range (+ movement for Dual Assist (+))? This suddenly became a much more interesting class to me.

Interesting, so rather than scale off strength/magic, the cannons seem to scale off Dexterity instead? The attack stat is still labeled Magic Attack, so I guess it targets res? And the bit at the end with Céline's uber cannon seem to be hacked stats.

Edited by FashionEmblem

6 hours ago, BloodRonin said:

I really hope these classes are for enemy units only. I find them to be underwhelming if you compare them to the dlc classes in 3 houses.

I disagree. War Monk/Cleric was really underwhelming, and Trickster wasn't much better.

Well, it certainly fills in the "armored mage" concept that one guy occasionally makes an thread about. But I was kind of expecting it to look more like an mortar that's already set up in this vid

than someone waving an giant cannon around.

But at any rate, it looks like the DLC is more or less designed to trivialize Maddening if that's the only time that we will see enemy cannoneers. And I'm kind of concerned about just how accurate it actually is, since they threw in an skill that destroys(?) your weapon for something that you want killed.

Edited by Armchair General

Mage Clanne-onner looks hilarious lol

If the class is actually a thing it's definitely an option with Lucina emblem. It seems really ridiculous to allow chain attacks with that and Dual Assist. If chain attacks are absolutely not allowed with it though, then Corrin for Draconic Hex and Dreadful Aura is a fallback (though vine dragon vein is kinda bad). As far as player actions go though it's unable to double, and so it might only really be worth running 1 per team due to that. Assuming it's even playable to begin with.

Enchanter also seems to be more of a support class too, and definitely a very interesting one. Knives automatically make me think Lucina as well for dagger poison spread, even better being Bonded Shield with Qi Adept. The tonic buffs are limited in range but seem fairly useful too, so even in 2 other units it's a rally of sorts. That one is more interesting to me personally, again assuming it does end up being playable (convoy access seems reasonable to assume it will be)

Edited by DaveCozy

Enchanter seems like a pretty cool concept. I like an arts user that has ranged fallback with knives and it seems like a perfect lucina tech since you'll want to be near allies anyway, so free dagger chain attacks will be pretty nice. I can see this working well for fogado especially. As for the cannoneer, I've stated this on reddit but the main thing is; is the cannon more viable than having a sage with thoron. If the answer is yes, then it's pretty easy to slot in. Having it be dexed based but hit res (theoretically) could be interesting aswell. Units like Boucheron or clanne or even bunet might have a niche now, but high dex tends to go with high speed so making the sacrifice between having a speedy unit or a long range debuffer will be a cool new add on to a run.

Edited by Vicyus

First off, Yunaka looks great as a Magic Cannoneer!

Also, Enchanter seems interesting. I'm liking the Lucina builds for the class, although I'm personally unsure of who I'd like to put there. I want to put Lucina on Lapis in my next playthrough as I like how Lapis looks when Engaged with Lucina (and this may provide a small niche for the character in this playthrough), but I can also see Jean or someone like Merrin being able to pull the same thing. (Although Jean is going Griffon Rider in my next playthrough.)

As for Magic Cannoneer, I was thinking Pandreo, but if it's linked to Dex...maybe this would be a way for Etie to contribute something in a playthrough outside of just being "early-game Alear" if people wanted to use her? Or maybe I'll just put Yunaka in the class for the lolz. 

5 hours ago, ciphertul said:

What do you mean by that, it has been disappointing. Nothing I had hoped for was done, isn't that disappointment? 

That is one way to look at disappointment, yes. Personally, when I think of disappointment, I think of something or someone not meeting expectations. Or something being done that I don't care for (biggest example for me as far as this game goes, this game's dancer unit being a male. I already am apathetic at best for most non-avatar male characters in these games, but the fact that I don't see myself using Seadall outside of his join chapter, like, ever, is just... well... ...fuck it, I can't sum it up).

Edited by Shadow Mir

Personally, I'd be happy to get Enchanter and Mage Cannoneer as the only DLC classes. They are both quite interesting and I'm really interested to see how they feel to play as. I'm also happy to also see them develop unique classes and not just give us classes from previous FEs like they did in Three Houses. I wasn't a massive fan of those classes, sans Dark Flier. The other three were useless.

Enchanter seems like a cool support class. Also gonna be nice to have another knife and arts user. I imagine the class will sync well with Micaiah to make the ultimate support unit.

M. Cannoneer also looks super cool. Nice to have a ballistician-esque class in the game, especially a game that is lacking in giving the player long range attacks (still wish we got access to even one Meteor tome). Am very curious as to how we'll be able to access all their different weapons especially since their main skill involves you sacrificing one. I'm presuming the shop will be updated to allow them to be purchased.

22 hours ago, Azz said:

I'm presuming the shop will be updated to allow them to be purchased.

I should hope so! Otherwise we'd have another "Myrrh's Dragonstone" situation, only applied to an entire class instead of just one unit!

Also to echo an earlier comment, I'm curious if Cannoneer's weapons will combo with Lucina's Dual Assist Sync Skill. If anyone's put Soren on a Backup unit, does his Bolting trigger Chain Attacks? I imagine cannonfire will use the same rule if so.

Edited by DefyingFates

12 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

I should hope so! Otherwise we'd have another "Myrrh's Dragonstone" situation, only applied to an entire class instead of just one unit!

Also to echo an earlier comment, I'm curious if Cannoneer's weapons will combo with Lucina's Dual Assist Sync Skill. If anyone's put Soren on a Backup unit, does his Bolting trigger Chain Attacks? I imagine cannonfire will use the same rule if so.

I had Hero Celine with Soren preform a chain attack with Bolting, can’t wait to see if it works with brave assist.

1 hour ago, BloodRonin said:

Both new classes imo seem too supportive overall. I personally wanted a new flyer that could use bows. Or an actual dragon class that isn't just a human, but one that can transform.

Based on the dlc trailer, the new character Nel will be able to transform into a dragon form. I'm also hoping that in the DLC Alear will get smth that will allow them to transform too, but if we get two transforming units, I think that would be cool too.

• 7 months later...
On 3/11/2023 at 5:05 AM, FashionEmblem said:

Well, somebody hacked it onto the player and that's a lot more versatility on the new weapon type than I expected. They seem to have gotten around sinking resources into weapon variety by changing the cannon blast animations but not the cannon model itself. Lots of variety here as a debuffing class since the cannons include infinite-use freeze, silence, and fracture. Also, Lucina chain attack can spread poison off daggers, so can it spread all the debuffs the status cannons provide? At 3-8 range (+ movement for Dual Assist (+))? This suddenly became a much more interesting class to me.

On 3/11/2023 at 7:44 AM, Armchair General said:

Well, it certainly fills in the "armored mage" concept that one guy occasionally makes an thread about. But I was kind of expecting it to look more like an mortar that's already set up in this vid

than someone waving an giant cannon around. uno online

But at any rate, it looks like the DLC is more or less designed to trivialize Maddening if that's the only time that we will see enemy cannoneers. And I'm kind of concerned about just how accurate it actually is, since they threw in an skill that destroys(?) your weapon for something that you want killed.

I can't watch these videos. 🙁

Edited by DeionWunsch

On 11/14/2023 at 11:54 PM, DeionWunsch said:

I can't watch these videos. 🙁

Yeah, mines is age-restricted. I forgot that YT blocks that kind of content when it's embedded elsewhere.  But it's still up, though.

I have no idea what the fuck the other one is about it.