How to convert a .cia to a .3ds file for Citra?

I have wanted to get into the 3ds games but all the roms that I download are in the .cia format. How do I then convert that into a .3ds file? I have looked online at many different websites and all of them are telling me to use a 3DS to CIA bat converter and it does not work for me. Also, I don't have a physical 3ds to play these games originally so how should I download them?

Edited by Phantom Agent 7

10 hours ago, Phantom Agent 7 said:

I have wanted to get into the 3ds games but all the roms that I download are in the .cia format. How do I then convert that into a .3ds file? I have looked online at many different websites and all of them are telling me to use a 3DS to CIA bat converter and it does not work for me. Also, I don't have a physical 3ds to play these games originally so how should I download them?

File -> Install CIA -> Select your .cia file. The emulator can install it for you.

image.png.ec33543ab4e1301ffd4c7a659bcd37c9.png

If your file fails to install, the .cia rom is probably encrypted, and you'll need to find a different rom. Though I highly doubt this will be the case from an online downloaded file.

In order to run your games, Citra requires that you dump your games, game updates, DLC and other 3DS system files from a hacked 3DS. This is the only legal way to obtain these files for use in Citra. Any other method of obtaining these files is considered piracy and therefore illegal. Citra FAQ

Edited by windypanda1

So if I don’t have a 3Ds or a friend that has a copy of the games and a 3Ds, it would then just not work? Do I need to buy a 3Ds and a copy for myself to then hack it? Or would I be able to download a ROM online? I don’t want to try and do the wrong thing.

Edited by Phantom Agent 7