Hardest video game boss?

Ace_

I'd say it generally depends on the genre of the game, but I can definitely point to Metroid and Castlevania for having consistently difficult boss fights. Nightmare from Metroid Fusion is an absolute pain in the ass if you don't know how to fight it, and you most likely won't the first time around... or the second... or multiple attempts after until you actually beat it. Same kinda deal with Metroid Dread's final boss, but that's a fight that becomes genuinely more fair as you learn the patterns and how to counter.

However, I think my pick would probably be The Forgotten One from Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. It's both frustrating and difficult; the boss hits like a 36-wheeler big rig if you don't dodge his attacks in time, and you're so starved for resources throughout the fight that you barely have enough opportunities to deal meaningful damage. And that's just on normal difficulty. I don't even wanna think about trying to beat him on the the hardest difficulty; I'd be a masochist to try that.

Edited by indigoasis
how did i forget the word "in"

As Indigoasis said it depends wildly on the genre.

But coming from Fighting games I have to say any King of Fighter bosses. Be it Rugal, Goenitz, Orochi, Krizalid or whoever.

This is gonna be very subjective, and highly dependent on the genre of the game in question. So....

5 hours ago, Tanjiro said:

So I've played a lot of video games over the years. The hardest boss I ever fought is Twinmold (Majoras mask). I took a break from the game cuz I got frustrated

Having played MM, Twinmold is not too bad if you're using the Giant's Mask... unless you're playing the 3DS version, where the fight is overhauled.

Anyways, one that sticks out to me: Iblis in Dragalia Lost. Disregarding the Sinister Dominion's use of Creeping Corrosion (a DoT effect, but unlike the other DoT effects in that game, this one can and will kill if not addressed) and Curse of Nihility (which erases most buffs and also prevents them from being reapplied), which makes them pretty hard on their own, it stands out for actually being outright impossible to clear without the right units thanks to one of its gimmicks. For you see, it requires a team with units that can use both poison and stormlash to avoid him using a really nasty move. Master and Legend in particular make that move a total party kill. And it gets worse: Master and Legend also have it change elements, in his case, he turns to shadow, meaning you ALSO need light units that can use paralyze and flashburn. What makes this a problem is that stormlash and flashburn both happen to be exclusive to 5 star characters. Yeah...

Jaldabaoth in the same game was another standout case. thanks to forcing you to micromanage killing the many, MANY adds he summons while whaling on the boss. Why? Because his gimmick is that his adds have a timer over their heads; if this timer runs out, they'll die and the counter on Tome of Destruction (the aforementioned gimmick) decreases; if it hits zero, he'll unleash a party wipe. Making matters worse, he also has this really nasty move where you have to break a weak point several times; fail, and not only will he heal himself and his adds, he also buffs their attack and defense.

Then there's the final boss of the story: Xenos. This is a 3 part slugfest against Evil Emperor Zurg, so you know you got your work cut out for you. He's a pretty big damage sponge boss, too; even on Normal with top tier weaponry, you'd likely take like half an hour to clear the level you face him in. That's long enough that you might forget this is a mobile game in the first place!! And unlike the other damage sponge bosses in that game (Asura, and omega 3 raid bosses), you don't get a massive attack buff to help you!

Edited by Shadow Mir

3 hours ago, Ycine said:

As Indigoasis said it depends wildly on the genre.

But coming from Fighting games I have to say any King of Fighter bosses. Be it Rugal, Goenitz, Orochi, Krizalid or whoever.

I was actually thinking about getting into King of Fighters. 

43 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

This is gonna be very subjective, and highly dependent on the genre of the game in question. So....

Having played MM, Twinmold is not too bad if you're using the Giant's Mask... unless you're playing the 3DS version, where the fight is overhauled.

I'm playing the 3DS version.

5 minutes ago, Tanjiro said:

I'm playing the 3DS version.

Figures. Yeah, Twinmold in 3DS is really tricky compared to the original. For that matter, Goht is the only one of the 4 temple bosses where the strategy to defeat him DIDN'T change all that much; you still gotta ram it until it falls over.

Edited by Shadow Mir