Anime and Manga - The Next Media Whipping Boy/Scapegoat?

Steven Tyler

After reading this article on Gam Politics - http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/12/03/whe...#comment-181843 and reading this comment on the same page:

They're going to blame anime and manga next. I know it. There's already incident where manga and anime has already been blamed.

-like the boy been buried his head in the sand, they blamed Naruto.

-Deathnote has been blamed in several situation.

-One of the American person living in Italy was murdered, the suspect's home has been found with several mangas.

Also, we already have enough anime haters on Youtube so one of them will become Jack Thompson's successor when it comes to massacre chasers.

I can imagine it now in the future:

-Warren Jeff has been "training" on harem anime and hentai. He was getting his training on these anime, he was learning to get girls to join him because of those anime.

-Lee Boyd Malvo was training on the anime, Golgo 13. All these anime had snipers training.

-the terrorist that did the attack in Mumbai, they were training on the anime, Gunslinger Girls. That anime had a lot of images of tactical training and can teach you how to use guns and the terrorist did use little girls for this attack.

-Michael Vicks was getting his dog fighting skills from watching Pokemon, he even named his dog after a certain pokemon. It was said that Vicks was dressing up like Ash Ketchum.

This is a sample what it'll look like. We already have enough anime haters on Youtube for one of them to carry the Jack Thompson's torch.

Andrew Eisen and E.Zachary Knight, if you're reading this comment. I predict anime and manga will exactly become the new "video game". A Jack Thompson will be made for that also. What I recommend to do is that you might want to talk ANN (anime news network) about forming AnimeWatch, or AnimePolitics in case if the scapegoating begin. We already have enough anime haters and racist against Japanese to be a Jack Thompson clone/successor.

WE MUST PROTECT ANIME/MANGA!!! THEY ARE ART JUST LIKE VIDEO GAME!!! HATERS HAVE STOOP TO THE LEVEL OF JACK THOMPSON AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO IT!!!

Do you think anime and manga will be the next scapegoat? I believe it might because of the recent incident with Naruto - ( http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-...uto-in-sandbox) and Death Note - ( http://www.japanator.com/elephant/post.phtml?pk=6899) that parents and politictions will attack anime and manga now that the attacks on video games is slowing down.

I don't get it. I do not like anime and manga these days, however, I do have common sense not to freakin' scapegoat anime because I don't like it or understand it.

I hope not ;-;

I love my mange ;-;

Especially Bo-Bobo ;-;

It's great ;-;

But I haven't gotten Shonen Jump since August since I got a subscription for my friend instead of for me ;-;

But I was never going to see him again so I don't regret it ;-;

But I'd still like to read the Bo-Bobo ;-;

I don't get it. I do not like anime and manga these days, however, I do have common sense not to freakin' scapegoat anime because I don't like it or understand it.

It's already in my country. Believe it's or not, they dont even have rating system, they let their children read over age mangas, play M rated games , watch 15+ grade movies

Now, the only place I can read Love Hina or the other ecchi manga is internet....

Edited by Sol

All I can say is, not in the UK. As far as I am aware we have no manga industry I think Tokyopop officially distribute in the UK but thats it so all the mangas you can get are imported from America...quite literilly as in still has the $ price.

And Anime will never escape from being a niche. We have a couple of distrubtors, Manga Entertainment being the promintent one (and yes lots of people don't realise there is a difference between Manga Entertainment and Manga) but its basically a fith (maybe less) of the anime America gets a year later.

As far as TV goes. Jetix (aka, Fox Kids) only bought Naruto so that Cartoon Network would'nt get it. Now Fox Kids target age group basically doesn't fit the Naruto targets (under 9s is Fox kids while Naruto is Tweens which seems to be 9-16) so you get a really lazy job of censoring it. Check this out (Jetix censor with the skipping music etc all across Europe). People have complained to Jetix and thier attitude was "If you want it uncut buy the DVDs or something"

And given that Jetix is a Cable/Sky channel you have to pay a monthly subscription to see Jetix, its a small fraciton of the TV viewers. There is also some anime channel on cable which endlessly shows dubbed Ghost in the shell, Gundam Seed, Fullmetal Alchemist and about 3 other old shows...I don't get it, digital TV allows for dual audio and the only thing that bothers using it is sport which allows you to hear the sounds without the commentry

Edit: It is likely Jetix in the UK canceled Naruto since the Sauke retrieval arc was never completed which is probably the reason Naruto Ultimate Ninja 3 never came out in the UK (it did the rest of Europe). To make things even weirder we got the Naruto DS games totally out of sequence.

Edited by Starwolf_UK

As far as TV goes. Jetix (aka, Fox Kids) only bought Naruto so that Cartoon Network would'nt get it. Now Fox Kids target age group basically doesn't fit the Naruto targets (under 9s is Fox kids while Naruto is Tweens which seems to be 9-16) so you get a really lazy job of censoring it. Check this out (Jetix censor with the skipping music etc all across Europe). People have complained to Jetix and thier attitude was "If you want it uncut buy the DVDs or something"

And given that Jetix is a Cable/Sky channel you have to pay a monthly subscription to see Jetix, its a small fraciton of the TV viewers. There is also some anime channel on cable which endlessly shows dubbed Ghost in the shell, Gundam Seed, Fullmetal Alchemist and about 3 other old shows...I don't get it, digital TV allows for dual audio and the only thing that bothers using it is sport which allows you to hear the sounds without the commentry

All the more reason why the Internet is the greatet thing to happen to man.