What if Ultimate had another year of development?

Perkilator

Following on from my Melee thread a year back, what if Ultimate had another year, too? Now, I'm not insinuating Ultimate needed another year, like I did with Melee. I moreso wanted to entertain the idea for the sake of a "what-if" scenario. Now, I'm going to lay a few ground rules:

1. "Everyone is Here!" isn't going away.
  2. The base game will cap off at Fighters #71-75, the same number of fighters in Fighters Pass Vol. 1.
  3. Speaking of, there are still only 2 Fighters Passes, only this time, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 both have 6 DLC fighters each.
  4. My interpretation strives to be as realistic as possible, but with some self-indulgence. If you have your own interpretation, I'm all for it, but I only ask that you don't get too unrealistic.

Without further ado:

Newcomers

Spoiler
  • #64. Inkling
  • #65. Ridley
  • #66. Simon
  • #67. King K. Rool
  • #68. Isabelle
  • #69. Incineroar
  • #70. Piranha Plant
  • #71-72. Pyra / Mythra
  • #73. Bandana Waddle Dee
  • #74. Min Min
  • #75. Banjo & Kazooie

Echo Fighters

• #4ε. Dark Samus
  • #13ε. Daisy
  • #40ε. Alph
  • #56ε. Celica
  • #60ε. Ken
  • #66ε. Richter

Modes

Spoiler
  • Group
    • Vs. Mode
    • Squad Strike
    • Tourney
    • Special Smash
      • Smashdown
      • Super Sudden Death
      • Coin Smash
      • Custom Smash
  • Solo
    • Arcade
      • Classic Mode (branching paths depending on your performance)
      • Story Mode (each fighter has a predetermined route)
      • All-Star (opponents are fought by game of debut)
    • Stadium
      • Home-Run Contest
      • Volleyball
      • Mob Smash
        • Century Smash
        • Rival Smash (two different characters compete for the highest KO score)
        • Cruel Smash
      • Boss Battles
    • Creative Corner
      • Mode Builder (create your own Target Test and Story route and share them online)
      • Stage Builder
      • Mii Fighters
    • Training
  • Spirits
    • World of Light
    • Spirit Board
    • Collection
    • DLC Spirit Boards
    • With Anyone
      • For Fun
      • For Glory
    • With Friends
    • Online Tourney
      • Regular
      • Event
    • Spectate
    • Shared Content
  • Vault
    • Sounds
    • Replays
      • Video Editor
    • Records
      • Stats
      • Milestones
      • Battle Data
      • Smash Tags
      • Past Opponents
    • Challenges
    • Tips
    • Movies
    • Shop
    • amiibo
  • Dashboard
    • Return to Main Menu
    • Collection
    • Local Wireless
    • News
    • Options
    • Help

New stages

Spoiler
  1. Every previous stage returns
  2. New Donk City Hall
  3. Bowser’s Castle
  4. Great Plateau Tower
  5. Clash at Castle Dedede
  6. Melemele Island
  7. Temple of Mila
  8. Cloud Sea of Alrest
  9. Moray Towers
  10. Spring Stadium
  11. Dracula’s Castle
  12. Spiral Mountain
  13. Alternate Battlefield / Final Destination skins
    • Melee
    • Brawl
    • 3DS / Wii U

Bosses

Spoiler
  1. Master Hand
  2. Crazy Hand
  3. Galeem
  4. Dharkon
  5. Giga Bowser
  6. Galleom
  7. Ganon, the Demon King
  8. Marx
  9. Mega Rayquaza
  10. Rathalos
  11. Dracula
  12. Gruntilda

DLC

Spoiler

Fighters Pass Vol. 1

• #76. Joker
  • #77. Hero
  • #78. Crash
  • #79. Estelle Bright
  • #80. Terry Bogard
  • #81. Steve

Fighters Pass Vol. 2

• #82. Byleth
  • #83. Dr. Eggman
  • #84. Sephiroth
  • #85. Ring Fit Trainee
  • #86. Kazuya
  • #87. Sora

If Ultimate had another year of development, then I'm honestly not sure a whole lot would change. We'd probably have another couple of new stages and a couple of the first-party DLC characters would be in the base game and no longer DLC, my guess would be Byleth, Min-Min, and Pyra/Mythra. We'd also probably have Spring Man and Rex as newcomers, because I seem to remember Sakurai saying he was considering them for the base game but they didn't make it for one reason or another. The empty DLC slots that would have been taken up by Byleth/Min/Pyra would probably get used by popular characters like Crash Bandicoot and Dr. Eggman. I think everything else would be as it actually is.

42 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

If Ultimate had another year of development, then I'm honestly not sure a whole lot would change. We'd probably have another couple of new stages and a couple of the first-party DLC characters would be in the base game and no longer DLC, my guess would be Byleth, Min-Min, and Pyra/Mythra because I seem to remember Sakurai saying he was considering ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 characters for the base game but they didn't make it for one reason or another.

^ I think we could've had a few more returning stages and Home-Run Contest available at launch. I also heard a theory somewhere that Trophies might have also came back if they had more time, or they would at least have had the time to include descriptions. And, there would obviously be more representation from games that would've come out by that point that didn't really get much otherwise such as Sword & Shield (some Gen 8 Pokémon in Pokéballs, or even a roster slot), Paper Mario: The Origami King, and Luigi's Mansion 3 (Gooigi as Luigi's Echo Fighter?) in addition to music and Trophies/Spirits.

59 minutes ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

^ I think we could've had a few more returning stages and Home-Run Contest available at launch. I also heard a theory somewhere that Trophies might have also came back if they had more time, or they would at least have had the time to include descriptions. And, there would obviously be more representation from games that would've come out by that point that didn't really get much otherwise such as Sword & Shield (some Gen 8 Pokémon in Pokéballs, or even a roster slot), Paper Mario: The Origami King, and Luigi's Mansion 3 (Gooigi as Luigi's Echo Fighter?) in addition to music and Trophies/Spirits.

I'm a little confused as to why you altered what I said in your quote.

But, regardless, I could see more returning stages and Home-Run Contest, but I don't think we would have gotten any new roster slots for Gen 8 Pokemon, Paper Mario, or Luigi's Mansion, simply because of how long they've said it takes for brand new characters to get made. The most likely scenario is two or three of the DLC characters who they were already working on, and Rex and Spring Man since they were already being considered.

56 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I'm a little confused as to why you altered what I said in your quote.

But, regardless, I could see more returning stages and Home-Run Contest, but I don't think we would have gotten any new roster slots for Gen 8 Pokemon, Paper Mario, or Luigi's Mansion, simply because of how long they've said it takes for brand new characters to get made. The most likely scenario is two or three of the DLC characters who they were already working on, and Rex and Spring Man since they were already being considered.

Perhaps I should've clarified that the hypothetical Gen 8 Pokémon would have most likely replaced Incineroar. I just find it weird that up to Ultimate's release, from Melee to Smash 4, a Smash game would come out in the middle of even-numbered generations and pick one from the most recent, as all the previous 'mons were from gens 1, 2, 4, and 6. As for Gooigi, sure making a brand new character takes a long time, but what about Echo Fighters? I'm genuinely curious.

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster

33 minutes ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

Perhaps I should've clarified that the hypothetical Gen 8 Pokémon would have most likely replaced Incineroar. I just find it weird that up to Ultimate's release, from Melee to Smash 4, a Smash game would come out in the middle of even-numbered generations and pick one from the most recent, as all the previous 'mons were from gens 1, 2, 4, and 6. As for Gooigi, sure making a brand new character takes a long time, but what about Echo Fighters? I'm genuinely curious.

If I'm remembering correctly, I think they said Echo fighters take virtually no time at all, it's much different than brand new characters.

2 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Then why weren't Octoling, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Zack Fair given the Echo treatment?

Octoling I can’t really comment on, but Shadow and Zack weren’t Echoes because I wanted to use Eggman and Sephiroth as DLC, just to make their respective roles as the “second character in a 3rd party franchise who isn’t an Echo” feel more special since they’re two of the most iconic villains in gaming.

21 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Then why weren't Octoling, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Zack Fair given the Echo treatment?

Because Sega probably would have wanted Shadow to use GUNS and Zack probably wasn't feasible because Square was a PAIN and they had enough trouble getting Cloud.

If Ultimate got another year of development, I do think Spring Man and Rex would have gotten added to the roster based on the interview. I also do think Pirahna Plant and any of the Fighter Pass Vol. 1 might going to show up in the in-game roster and I as well do think some of the fighters from the Fighter Pass Vol. 2 would become part of the Fighter Pass Vol. 1 if this would have happened. (Also, we shouldn't remove Chrom because he was added in because of the Fighter Ballot Sakurai mentioned it.)

I do think we could see some few new Echo Fighters like maybe Ms. Pac-Man (but that was screwed by ATGames got in hold with the Rights and Bandai Namco had to start a new design of Ms. Pac-Man as Pac-Mom), few new newcomers like Mike Jones from StarTropics as one of the NES Retro Fighters, and new stages added to Ultimate in the Base Game. I also do think we should have gotten a 2nd SNK Franchise Rep like Haohmaru from Samurai Shodown, Kaede from The Last Blade, etc., Zelda Rep like Impa, and a few Nintendo Switch Debut Characters as newcomers in Fighter Pass Volume 2 if this happens.