Do you like Radiant Dawn's structure?

Whenever I am replaying RD, its unique structure stands out to me. It's both a blessing and a curse is an way, because while it enables some of the most varied map design in the series it comes with the downside of not having much time to level up your party. 

I'm currently on part III of my recent playthrough and have mixed feelings regarding the topic. I enjoy the challenge that comes with frequent party switching but more often than not I feel not in control of the larger picture. One of the main draws in basically every FE game for me is carefully building up your units for the endgame, an aspect in which RD is lacking due to the sheer amount of overpowered units the game constantly throws at the player.  Sure, I have the option to not use them but the chapters are specifically designed for them to play a large role and let me tell you that each unit killed by Nailah and such pains my heart as I cannot help but see the exp as being stolen from weaker units. 

But at the end of the day I guess that's Radiant Dawn's charm, cause there needs to be someone OP to plug the bottlenecks like Haar in the part II endgame. 

What's Serenes Forest's take on how RD is split up in different parts? I have seen the levelling issue discussed here but there are more implications through the structure and I wonder how fond people here are in general of this gameplay choice. 

I'm a fan. From a story standpoint it's neat how we get so many different perspectives; Tellius feels far richer for it. Gameplaywise, I feel like it makes almost every unit have some time to contribute, because of all the different parties.

I do agree that RD makes certain later-joining units (particularly in the Dawn Brigade chapters) too powerful relatively and this is unfortunate, but to my mind it's a separate issue which could be fixed with better balancing.

From a narrative stand point, I think it's great. Gameplay wise, it's iffy. So many units are punished so badly from a lack of availability, especially the majority of part 1 units, more so units who are new to RD which really sucks cause the new units are already hurt by a lack of any character depth due to the shitty support system so them being hard to use hurts even more. However, despite this, I still do think its cool and really made RD's story feel like a grand spectacle and an actual war and did grey morality and dramatic irony pretty well. Like Florete said, I'm happy RD did it but I'm also happy for it to remain a RD only thing.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all I love having separated groups with their own story and own difficulty, but as for the difficulty, it feels weird, at least for someone whose first Fire Emblem game was Radiant Dawn. The difficulty curve is really odd, starts from being hard and turns into really easy when Ike shows up.

The chapters of the Dawn Brigade were so much harder than with the Crimean Knights and Greil's mercenaries because the forced units were at best tied with the enemies's level. Even Sothe for being prepromoted and stealing experience started to suffer at the end of the first part.

Though after rethinking this the chapters of the Dawn Brigade had the perfect difficulty for me. Challenging, but never unfair! Especially most of the Greil's Mercenaries outclassed the enemies.

• 1 month later...

Don't have much to say, except - am a fan of the party-switching. Great to see the continent, and the war, from different perspectives. As for gameplay, it differs from the usual "pick a unit, bring them to every map, hit 20/20" scheme. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, as you get new tools to play with almost every map. I genuinely hope our next game has a multi-Lord, multi-army setup.