Wave 4 is now out! (info dump after completing it)

BloodRonin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

We get 5 characters, that while you can do it as early as chapter 6 then new units come at lv 20. 

Oh crap, that's gonna make divine paralogues more complicated. 😄

1 minute ago, BloodRonin said:

No.

Yes.

Thanks for answering.

That's a shame. So, after multiple trailers for the base game that promised a dragon protagonist, we finally get an actual dragon, only for it to a) not be the protagonist, and b) be locked behind DLC? I really don't understand IS's thought process.

5 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Thanks for answering.

That's a shame. So, after multiple trailers for the base game that promised a dragon protagonist, we finally get an actual dragon, only for it to a) not be the protagonist, and b) be locked behind DLC? I really don't understand IS's thought process.

DLC bait and milking profits? That is usually the answer.

So it seems like based on the join level of the new units, it’s likely you want to do the dlc after completing Solm.

Edited by ciphertul

3 minutes ago, TanatatKnight said:

Oh this just crossed my mind.

Hide contents

The special glowing Libération is only for that final Xenologue chapter, right? We don't get it as a completion prize or upgrade, yeah?

Unless it is missing from my inventory, we don't have it. 

Pikazo posted this a bit ago in celebration of the DLC dropping with some nice art of Nil and Nel. Thought I would post it here

Man I'm really reconsidering when to jump into the Fell Xenologue, since you get the characters on lvl 20... It's gonna mess early game Divine paralogues and also you would probably not wanna use them so your other units get the XP... I really wish the characters would scale depending on your current level.

I started yesterday stream to prep for the DLC (finished chapter 6) but now I'm not sure if I wanna play FX right away and maybe wait around chapter 12-13?

1 hour ago, Speedy said:

Man I'm really reconsidering when to jump into the Fell Xenologue, since you get the characters on lvl 20... It's gonna mess early game Divine paralogues and also you would probably not wanna use them so your other units get the XP... I really wish the characters would scale depending on your current level.

I started yesterday stream to prep for the DLC (finished chapter 6) but now I'm not sure if I wanna play FX right away and maybe wait around chapter 12-13?

Doing the paralogues asap is generally best anyway, so getting them before doing the fell xenologue fixes that issue. You might not need the units until later, but you can get the new classes to play around with early.

Edited by Xylaugheon Daily

I think for myself, waiting until post-Solm is best to do the FX. You'll have Seadall by then which will help make the missions go faster to get the five units. Also by this time, the skirmishes and DPs (if you left them this late) wont feel as much of a gut punch in difficulty because of the level 20 units.

EDIT:

Just finished the DLC. The full version of Emblem Engage is available now in Alear's room lol

As for what I thought about it...

Spoiler

I'm not a fan tbh. The last two maps of the FX were horrible to play through and felt like long slogs, which is strange considering Engage has honestly not had many maps that I didn't enjoy some aspect of. The only map in the main game I could say was annoying was Chapter 15 and 19 cause of the miasma but even then they aren't horrible.

I just can't fathom why they thought it was a good idea to restrict you to set unit levels and inventories. I do understand not wanting there to be a barrier of entry if people wanted to play the DLC asap, but I think they could've just either had the difficulty scale like the DPs do, or just have each chapter have a recommended difficulty. Considering we get super powerful units at the end of the DLC and you can do the DLC from chapter 6, it's just stupid. Even if they wanted to restrict grinding, just do what they do in TT and RT and make it so you gain no exp, SP and your items/staves aren't consumed. At least that would make playing it that more bearable and as if you have any input on the maps. All I can hope for is that someone develops some really good LTC strat to make playing through the DLC on subsequent playthroughs less of a headache.

As for the story, I enjoyed Engage's for what it was but I think the fact I didn't enjoy the gameplay experience, I found myself rolling my eyes often and just not engaging with the story. Nil and Nel are eh (have yet to see their supports) and the Four Winds are there. Overall, I just found the experience to be pretty unenjoyable, which is honestly super disappointing considering how fun base game Engage is. Really wish they gave us a NG+ cause I feel like that would solve so many issues with Engage.

Edited by Azz

The characters with special classes are obviously internal level 20, but what about the characters that join as promoted level 1? All of the other prepromotes in the game have internal level consistent with promoting at level 15.

Can you buy seals for the new classes before beating the fell xenologue? Downside to waiting for new character levels to match story progression would be delaying class skills on these new classes if not.

Also, I saw here that Mage Cannoneer status ailments don't stack with Lucina chain attacks (unlike knives). Is that confirmed now?

"Mage Cannoneers can participate in Chain Attacks if they equip Emblem Lucina. However, their status afflictions do not trigger, since they’re all counted as skills (this includes the poison from Venom Blast)."

https://serenesforest.net/2023/03/30/fire-emblem-engage-four-wings-another-firene-twitter-tidbits/

Edited by FashionEmblem

16 minutes ago, FashionEmblem said:

The characters with special classes are obviously internal level 20, but what about the characters that join as promoted level 1? All of the other prepromotes in the game have internal level consistent with promoting at level 15.

Can you buy seals for the new classes before beating the fell xenologue? Downside to waiting for new character levels to match story progression would be delaying class skills on these new classes if not.

You cannot. But even if you could, the item for mage cannon cost 90k gold without the silver card...

15 minutes ago, FashionEmblem said:

Also, I saw here that Mage Cannoneer status ailments don't stack with Lucina chain attacks (unlike knives). Is that confirmed now?

"Mage Cannoneers can participate in Chain Attacks if they equip Emblem Lucina. However, their status afflictions do not trigger, since they’re all counted as skills (this includes the poison from Venom Blast)."

https://serenesforest.net/2023/03/30/fire-emblem-engage-four-wings-another-firene-twitter-tidbits/

I haven't tested yet, but it makes sense if they are programmed as skills (even though they are weapon you buy...) Can someone test?

40 minutes ago, FashionEmblem said:

Am pretty sure that, like Mauvier, Gregory and Madeline come with an internal level of 20. (Also just want to point out not all units come with Int. Level 15. Rosado and Goldmary are 17, Lindon is 18, Saphir 19 and like I said, Mauvier is 20).

No, the new seals (and Cannoneer's cannons) are only unlocked in the shop once you have beaten the FX.

So my thoughts after completing the Fell Xenologue story:

Spoiler

I'm actually kinda disappointed, certain maps were interesting to some point. But using preset units really put me off. For me that's one of the main parts of FE crafting and polishing my team so it fits my needs. And to be honest I have no wish to even try it on higher difficulties because of this. Basicaly I will play through these only to unlock the characters.

Also the last mission could really do with better explanation of what to do. You usually get so many pop up tutorial windows on what is going on and what should you do and here all you get is "here is a Liberation sword" (it doesnt tell its upgraded, you have to check that for yourself) and Nel tells you that you need to go somewhere. In the end it is simple just get to the top of the map and then kill the boss when he gets there, but they really should navigate you better through objectives where you are suppose to go. All it tells you is "kill the boss" but it doesnt tell you how, since he start on tile where he is basicaly unkillable and you have to somehow deduce from his attacks that he might move away.

I did like the 3 armies map in chapter 4, but considering you gain nothing from killing enemies, you can just camp at the start and let the enemies kill each other. I would probably apprectiate this map better in main campaign.

Storywise

I'm disappointed that the bracelets got almost no story development what so ever, I didnt expect much, but I certainly did not expect "lets put them to sleep".

Overall story, really bad, last two chapter I just kept facepalming myself over and over. But I wasnt really expecting improvement from the main campaign story.

Overall this DLC purpose for me is only to get more characters and the new classes, but even those I dont find that exciting, I guess people will try shenanigans with Mage Cannoneers, but outside of the Spin the Wheel challenge I probably wont be using them that much.

1 hour ago, Azz said:

Am pretty sure that, like Mauvier, Gregory and Madeline come with an internal level of 20. (Also just want to point out not all units come with Int. Level 15. Rosado and Goldmary are 17, Lindon is 18, Saphir 19 and like I said, Mauvier is 20).

No, the new seals (and Cannoneer's cannons) are only unlocked in the shop once you have beaten the FX.

For more clarification, I said promoted at level 15. Rosado and Goldmary join as level 3 promoted, so internal level 17 is consistent with promotion at 15. It's true I was not thinking about the later joins of Lindon, Saphir and Mauvier, but those levels seem quite low for internal level for Mauvier at that point in the story? Or do you mean those are the levels they promoted at. Mauvier joins as a level 12 Royal Knight so 20 + 12 - 1 = 31 for internal level? That's more consistent with the character that joins the chapter after him at 35.

Edited by FashionEmblem

So..... what was the point of this? To give us the Four Hounds without breaking continuity? I won't complain about what it isn’t, and I enjoyed the ride well enough, but it just feels like this was only meant to give us five characters and two classes, with a story tacked on.

I guess I expected a bit more out of the four winds personality wise. Gregory is just a wisecracking pain avoider, Madeline is super terse and Zelestia is just “team mom”.

On 4/5/2023 at 2:07 AM, BloodRonin said:
Spoiler

1 you have to unlock via crafting that is effective flying

I didn't notice that, thank you so much for pointing that out! If anyone's done any further experimenting, do these work with Lunar Brace?

Also, the notification mentioned extra DLC now being available. So far that's only the FEH tie-in, but does anyone else think it's curious that IS didn't just say "the FEH DLC is available to everyone now" instead? I can't help but wonder if this means we'll get more DLC down the line - be they new QoL updates or something a bit meatier. I don't want to get my hopes up though!

As for Fell Xenologue itself, I liked it for the most part! The new cast is fun and I really liked their Supports as well. Their Supports with Mauvier and Veyle in particular act as a sort of epilogue to FX as well as adding some extra world-building/ backstory for both them and the Hounds. If there's one thing that I wish had been changed, it's that

Spoiler

I would have liked them to have not pulled some of their punches, and had instead doubled down on the "assassin Nel" implication and the overall bleak vibe.

(Also, Nel's Personal and Class Skills are pretty lacklustre compared to everyone else, which really sucks. I mean, I'm going to be using Nel regardless since I like her arc, but still.)

But other than that... yeah, big fan! While I think it sucks that classes were locked, I think forcing everyone to use fixed inventories (outside of swapping stuff around pre-battle) was a cool way to add some extra challenge. No warp-skipped, for instance.

How are you building the new characters, by the way? And what of the new classes, who do you think fits them best? I know there are other threads about those topics, but it's worth asking, right?