Special Heroes: No Matter Where

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never thought I'd see the day Mark is added to Feh, even though it's as a child. Strictly speaking I don't need to pull for him(?) because the unit is Mark but with Y!Lyn being the only voice and probably looking as if she's talking to herself I might just try to keep the Lyn collection complete. 

Anyways, let's see the skillsets:

Y!Hector's prf has Slaying, -6 Atk/Def on foe during combat, Guard, 30% DR and a conditional Atk penalty on foe that goes from 10 to 4 depending on their special CD. Ostia's Heart is DC, 7 healing and -8 Atk/Def on foe.

Armored Beacon seems to be a skill like Vital Astra and Godlike Reflexes so it's probable it'll be armor exclusive (hopefully not only for Sword/Lance/Axe armors). It's a slightly weaker Bonfire that grants 40% DR on first hit if a special will trigger during combat (doesn't need to be pre-charged), and it might ignore Sure Hit effects. 

Y!Eliwood's prf has Slaying, Spectrum+X which goes from 5 to 17 depending on how many positive status effects he has, first hit 40% DR and NFU. Exclusive skill is basically L!Eliwood's unique skill with another name but it buffs all stats (can't remember if L!Eliwood did the same or only Atk/Spd). 

Y!Rebecca is the demote but as a kid unit still has a prf. Her weapon deals effective damage against beasts, has Slaying, Time's Pulse built-in, Spectrum+5, 60% DR against beasts and ranged mounted units (30% for the rest) on first hit and the true damage with a Finish condition. 

Mark & Lyn are a debuff machine with all those effects. I'm a bit confused on the difference between Sabotage and Foe Penalty Doubler as it seems to be the same thing except for Sabotage including nearby foes for the in-combat penalties calculations (meaning Sabotage gets through units that nullify debuffs on themselves). Outside of all the stat debuffing Mark also inflicts Stall, gets Slaying, a guaranteed Follow-up and Null Guard. 

I'm always supportive of wacky choices, so no problem there. We're six years in and it gets harder and harder to keep things fresh as the game gets older, so have at it.

That said, I can't actually pull here, and I'm not sure about using a canto-less cavalry unit (Mark) these days. Good to see Atk/Spd Finish 3 available at 4*, but not relevant to me right now as I have no Atk/Spd Finish 4.

16 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

That's not a Lyn Alt... But it is a Lyn Alt, because she will be doing all the talking.

Even though I liked Mark being added... I hated that he is just a disguised for another Lyn.

Anyway, this banner is very good but still a skip. I have other priorities.

To be fair, I'm not sure how you could do Mark without making them a duo. It's not even like Byleth where they at least have lines in battle, Mark never talks and any conversation with them is basically the other characters bouncing off of them. As a result, the only option (outside of making them suddenly talk) is to have another character right next to them doing the talking. From there you're pretty much going to go with a lord as they're the ones who talk to Mark the most and of them Lyn's the one with the strongest connection to Mark. She's the first lord you meet as Mark, she's the one who talks to them the most as Mark doesn't really interact with Eliwood or Hector much past a certain point in the story whereas Lyn Mode she spends a good amount of time with them, and they do have Lyn refer to Mark on different occasions outside of FE7 such as the Awakening DLC, her Robin support in Warriors, and so on. As a duo, Mark makes the most sense with Lyn due to how the writing has been around those characters.

Edited by Medeus

26 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Well, in the stories they've given all of these kid banners so far, Thorr wipes their memories before sending them back home so they don't remember they were ever summoned to Heroes-world or met anyone there, so their timelines remain intact.

True. I guess we will have to see how the story goes. But did they just meet and Lyn is already so close to them? I mean, whatever. It's not that cannon anyways haha. 

Sigh... the weapons they give Armor units get more and more predictable...
Looks like Armored units will be getting a new Special as well. Slightly weaker than a Bonfire trigger, but comes with the benefit of lowering the damage taken by Ranged enemies.
Hector's new Prf also looks pretty annoying to deal with.

Eliwood invokes his adult legendary alt slightly, missing the Canto bonus. Should still be a good support unit, though I have to wonder why he still cares about there being a demihuman on the team when that aspect of his character shouldn't even have been established yet...?

Rebecca seems like a random option. They could have gone with Raven/Raymond to justify Lucius being the TT unit, but... whatever.

And here we have the first Duo Hero to be half mute.
Strikes me as odd that they gave Mark/Lyn two ways to inflict penalties onto the enemy. The Sabotage effect seems like the existing [Foe Penalty Doubler] but a penalty that is inflicted onto the target (and also tracks for penalties on nearby allies). Otherwise statbuffs and guaranteed follow-up. Sabotage A/R 3 is neat.

Lucius the TT unit... seriously what are Rebecca and him doing on this banner?

20 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

I'm a bit confused on the difference between Sabotage and Foe Penalty Doubler as it seems to be the same thing except for Sabotage including nearby foes for the in-combat penalties calculations (meaning Sabotage gets through units that nullify debuffs on themselves).

Foe Penalty Doubler is a Bonus effect that is granted to allies. Sabotage is a Penalty that is inflicted on enemies.
One could theoretically stack the two together and inflict a massive in-combat debuff on the enemy.

Edited by Xenomata

Anyways, the usual translation notes:

The banner name, "No Matter Where", is "世界のどこにいても" (sekai no doko ni ite mo), "No Matter Where in the World You Are".

Hector's epithet, "Sworn Friend", is "友との誓い" (tomo to no chikai), "An Oath With a Friend".

Valiant War Axe is "戦神の勇斧" (senjin no yūfu), "War God's Brave Axe". Not to be confused with the Brave Axe weapon, which is "勇者の斧" (yūsha no ono), "Hero's Axe". As usual with these weapons "戦神" (senjin), "War God", is Thorr's epithet.

Armored Beacon is "重装の聖炎" (jūsō no seien), "Sacred Flame of Armor".

Ostia's Heart is "オスティアの心魂" (osutia no shinkon), "Ostia's Heart and Soul".

Eliwood's epithet, "Pledged Friend", is "友との約束" (tomo to no yakusoku), "A Promise With a Friend".

Fiery War Sword is "戦神の烈剣" (senjin no rekken), "War God's Blazing Sword". "烈剣" (rekken) literally translates as "fierce sword", but is a reference to Durandal's epithet, "烈火の剣" (rekka no ken), "Sword of Blazing Flame".

Spd/Def Clash is "速さ守備の激突" (hayasa shubi no gekitotsu), "Spd/Def Clash".

Inborn Idealism is "理想への天質" (risō e no tenshitsu), "Natural Idealist". The skill name translates literally as "natural talent [to move] towards [one's] ideals".

Rebecca's epithet, "Breezy Scamp", is "屈託なき笑顔" (kettaku-naki egao), "Carefree Smile".

Gusty War Bow is "戦神の風弓" (senjin no fūkyū), "War God's Wind Bow".

Mark's epithet, "Winds of Hope", is "希望を呼ぶ風" (kibō o yobu kaze), "Wind That Brings Hope".

Total War Tome is "戦神の破界の戦記" (senjin no hakai no senki), "War God's War Chronicles of World Breaking". Definitely sounds like hope.

Sabotage is "混乱" (konran), "Chaos". Alternatively, "confusion".

Sabotage A/R is "攻撃魔防の混乱" (kōgeki mabō no konran), "Atk/Res Chaos". Again, alternatively, "Atk/Res Confusion".

Lucius's epithet, "Calming Light", is "ひそやかな光" (hisoyaka na hikari), "Quiet Light".

Mystic War Staff is "戦神の天杖" (senjin no tenjō), "War God's Heavenly Staff".

Edited by Ice Dragon

MAYDAY MAYDAY, DESPERATION IS BEING ADDED AS A SACRED SEAL.

...also Threaten Spd/Res.

Lucius: Calming Light is a Staff Infantry unit.
Lucius's Staff, the Mystic War Staff, boosts his Atk by 3 and has the Wrathful effect by default. And no, he doesn't come with Dazzling Staff, you'll have to provide that yourself. He has a supportive effect in giving himself and allies within 2 spaces Def/Res +6 and the Foe Follow-Up Denial effect. And if he is within 3 spaces of an ally, he gets Atk/Res +6 and a guaranteed follow-up attack.
His other skills are Martyr+, Heavenly Light, Atk/Res Ideal 3, and Distant Guard.

I figured this was going to be an Elibe child banner, but I definitely did not have Mark on my list of possibilities. The sheer novelty value is enough for me to approve, especially since being completely silent means there's no way for them to appear outside of a Duo or other such special unit. The lords are all unsurprising, and Rebecca was obvious from the preview silhouettes, but I'm surprised I actually guessed correctly that Lucius would be here as well. Then again that may be because I was fantasizing about also getting a Duo Hero of Raven and Priscilla. So much for that.

Interestingly, Rebecca's line in the trailer about being surrounded by one's family implies that the characters come from a point in time where Wil and Dart already left Pherae, which was around 5 years before the events of the game.

Surprised by how mixed the reactions to Mark seem to be. Also, that it's surprising. Anyway, Mark is the first avatar character, and I kind of want to pull for him. After that, I may put together an avatar team since now all the avatar characters are in Heroes. :3

Also, may pull for Eliwood and Hector. I do love the child banners (and this really is the perfect way to introduce Mark as a silent protagonist and Lyn really is the perfect choice to be the duo with him), but this banner doesn't actually excite me that much (which, honestly, surprises me a little.) I want to save up for the fallen banner, too. Well, anyway, I'll for sure pull for Mark. May also go for Hector and Eliwood. Not sure what tiny Lucius will look like; I'll look into that next.

Desperation is kind of meh as a Sacred Seal. Newer units tend to have defensive effects like passive healing, damage reduction, or the Desperation effect itself with a more lenient condition already and would rather have stats over Desperation. Older units are in more need of stats, and the Sacred Seal slot grants more points of stats than the B slot, so unless the unit requires a different B skill to function, they'll typically prefer to run Desperation in the B slot instead of the Sacred Seal slot.

A Desperation Sacred Seal would have been huge 3 or even 2 years ago. Now, not so much.

Lucius looks pretty good. He has proper support effects (+6 Def/Res and follow-up prevention as status effects) and proper combat effects (+6 Atk/Res and guaranteed follow-up in combat). I'm expecting him to have something like Resplendent Genny's stat spread, maybe even min-maxed a bit more with more Atk/Res and less Spd/Def. I'll be surprised if he actually has a good Def stat instead, though.

EDIT:

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Mystic War Staff is "戦神の天杖" (senjin no tenjō), "War God's Heavenly Staff".

Added Lucius's weapon to the translation notes.

Edited by Ice Dragon

7 hours ago, Medeus said:

To be fair, I'm not sure how you could do Mark without making them a duo. It's not even like Byleth where they at least have lines in battle, Mark never talks and any conversation with them is basically the other characters bouncing off of them. As a result, the only option (outside of making them suddenly talk) is to have another character right next to them doing the talking. From there you're pretty much going to go with a lord as they're the ones who talk to Mark the most and of them Lyn's the one with the strongest connection to Mark. She's the first lord you meet as Mark, she's the one who talks to them the most as Mark doesn't really interact with Eliwood or Hector much past a certain point in the story whereas Lyn Mode she spends a good amount of time with them, and they do have Lyn refer to Mark on different occasions outside of FE7 such as the Awakening DLC, her Robin support in Warriors, and so on. As a duo, Mark makes the most sense with Lyn due to how the writing has been around those characters.

They should have done something though. Give them a Voice Actor, and did a Young Soren thing where Mark would only do sounds at least.

No related to FEH or the topic, but... I feel like if one day they remake Blazing Blade, they will make Mark a playable character. If they will be fully voiced or be like Byleth that only has some voice clips, I don't know.

1 hour ago, Diovani Bressan said:

They should have done something though. Give them a Voice Actor, and did a Young Soren thing where Mark would only do sounds at least.

Unlike Soren, Mark isn't incapable of speech.

Mark speaks just fine, as indicated by the fact that dialogue involving Mark proceeds as if Mark responds when appropriate. The player just doesn't see their speech on screen because unlike the other avatar characters, Mark is written to be the player instead of simply representing the player.

While being completely mute here is odd (since Mark speaks just fine), it at least fits in with the fact that Mark participates in dialogue significantly less outside of Lyn's route due to the fact that you have the option to play Eliwood's and Hector's routes without Mark.

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Desperation is kind of meh as a Sacred Seal. Newer units tend to have defensive effects like passive healing, damage reduction, or the Desperation effect itself with a more lenient condition already and would rather have stats over Desperation. Older units are in more need of stats, and the Sacred Seal slot grants more points of stats than the B slot, so unless the unit requires a different B skill to function, they'll typically prefer to run Desperation in the B slot instead of the Sacred Seal slot.

A Desperation Sacred Seal would have been huge 3 or even 2 years ago. Now, not so much.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. Older units maybe, but newer units are far more likely to be loaded with stats by default and just wanting skills to make getting kills easier, especially if they're a unit with the Brave effect or guaranteed follow-ups. Not to mention the B slot doesn't just grant stats, but also effects, for a lot of units including their personal B passives. And now that B passives are getting Tier 4's that grant powerful effects, I feel like it's more and more okay for the SS slot to be used for skills like Desperation.

The game is getting more and more about stacking effects onto one another to overwhelm stats.

10 hours ago, Humanoid said:

I'm not sure about using a canto-less cavalry unit (Mark) these days.

So, uh, I'm not sure how I got the impression Mark was a cavalry unit, but I've only just learned he's not. Therefore there's even less here for me than I thought.

57 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I'm not sure that's entirely true. Older units maybe, but newer units are far more likely to be loaded with stats by default and just wanting skills to make getting kills easier, especially if they're a unit with the Brave effect or guaranteed follow-ups. Not to mention the B slot doesn't just grant stats, but also effects, for a lot of units including their personal B passives. And now that B passives are getting Tier 4's that grant powerful effects, I feel like it's more and more okay for the SS slot to be used for skills like Desperation.

The game is getting more and more about stacking effects onto one another to overwhelm stats.

Fast units always have to deal with Spd creep, and losing the 5-6 points of Spd from their Sacred Seal slot can be extremely rough, even for newer units. (Lucia with Distant Pressure or Distant Dart has been a nightmare for me to deal with in Arena Assault.)

I mentioned in a different thread that the developers have spent the last few years trying their best to get players to stop running Desperation on anything and everything, and they've largely succeeded. We now have Surge, Finish, and Bulwark skills for passive healing and Remote skills and Dodge skills for damage reduction (though Remote skills are still very hard to get), and that's if a unit doesn't already come with a defensive effect on their weapon or an exclusive skill. Dodge and Bulwark skills take the place of Desperation (with Bulwark skills also granting stats), and skills in the other skill slots largely render Desperation to be an inferior option to things like Tempo or Trace.

Stacking more skill effects is nice, but Desperation is simply not strong enough to be worth losing 5-6 Spd on most newer fast units. Desperation is a purely defensive skill effect on a unit that's supposed to be offensive. There are so many other skills that can serve both purposes simultaneously, even if they are hard to get (though every premium unit these days comes with a full kit already anyways, so premium skills only hard to get if you need them on a less premium unit).

And slow units typically still have enough bulk to not need Desperation.

7 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Unlike Soren, Mark isn't incapable of speech.

Mark speaks just fine, as indicated by the fact that dialogue involving Mark proceeds as if Mark responds when appropriate. The player just doesn't see their speech on screen because unlike the other avatar characters, Mark is written to be the player instead of simply representing the player.

While being completely mute here is odd (since Mark speaks just fine), it at least fits in with the fact that Mark participates in dialogue significantly less outside of Lyn's route due to the fact that you have the option to play Eliwood's and Hector's routes without Mark.

While I agree with what you are saying, which is a big reason why I think Mark shouldn't have been a unit in heroes, they do kinda explain in Warriors that Mark is telepathic of sorts. Lyn and Robin talk about it. 

I think of it more as a retroactive change to the cannon to explain the lack of voice.

However, I love the idea of Mark being you. That the tactician was you. So I am a little sad that they added them.

I am dreading the potential FE7 remake, where they will inevitably make Mark playable and a full-on Robin-type character with actual supports and an appearance and dialogue.

I really hate how all the avatars, even though they have too much base personality to be legitimate avatars, are a thinly veiled excuse for you to insert "yourself" into the story. None of the FE stories ever needed "me" as a character. IS can't even pull it off. The avatars are written as bad pandering attempts at making "you" feel important while taking away from the characters the story should actually be talking about. If FE wants to rebrand itself and be about "the player", they need to remove it from the medieval war setting because they've proved over and over again they can't write a morally gray war setting while wanking off to "you".

Yikes at all the Mark-discourse, who would have thought they would be such a controversial addition. I will just not touch it even with a 10-foot stick and leave it at that.

I will just plainly state that I was 100% sure that they wouldn't add Mark to this game since they never added them to Cipher despite it being so much easier to do so.

And now they are here. So as of right now there is not a single character who I believe is "impossible" to get, or that they can't implement. The sky is the limit.

This doesn't mean that they will implement all the characters, it just means that they consciously made the choice to not include some characters.

Because maybe they were too minor an antagonist, maybe they had the lowest popularity, maybe they didn't feel there was much clamoring for a specific game (poor Rowan and Lianna, they deserve to get into FEH yesterday), maybe something I'm not even thinking about, but it will never be that they were considering which characters to add, a character was brought up and they went "nah, we can't do that character".

Because if they didn't say "nah, we can't do that character" when someone suggested Mark (or Xane, or Ullr, or Fomortiis) it means nobody will ever utter those words there.

Edited by GrandeRampel

A bit off topic, but in the eventual and inevitable Blazing Blade remake, I think a good way to handle Mark would be a sort of halfway-Byleth approach. Make them a playable unit, give them some simple dialogue choices to pick from in select cutscenes, make them entirely silent so no line is actually spoken by them, and make every single character who has a child later on in Binding Blade off-limits for paired endings, as well as characters already married. So, no paired ending with Eliwood, Hector, Nino, Pent, Louise, Canas, Rebecca, Rath, Karla, Bartre, Dorcas, or Hawkeye. Nils and Athos shouldn't be pairable with Mark, either, for obvious story reasons. That seems like a lot, but that still leaves a little over half the playable cast for Mark. I would say "no paired endings for Mark at all," but we all know Intelligent Systems wouldn't actually be that reasonable about it.

Anyway, back to the actual topic. I'm so happy Rebecca got good art, finally. She was done such a disservice in Heroes with her art when she first came to the game back in its first year. It makes me hopeful her eventual Resplendent will have good art.
Speaking of Rebecca, I'm also still surprised she hasn't been given more alts. She was always one of the more popular Blazing Blade characters. Not to the level of the three main lords, Ninian, or Nino, but she was always somewhat comparable to Florina, Sain, and Pent as one of the higher-ups in Blazing's popularity.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

Mark's addition is honestly the only interesting thing about this banner. Past them, this sure is just another kid banner where everyone is in the same unit type as their base version except they're now exponentially stronger because Thorr gave them all of the steroids.

This theme really should've just been a one (maybe two) time thing because good Lord they're so boring and predictable.

I'm surprised and excited to see Mark.

I know it technically has a bunch of plot holes but I've honestly always just considered FEH Non-canon. (Since every FE being connected in a big multiverse isn't really something I want to be a part of the canon.) 

1 hour ago, Samz707 said:

I'm surprised and excited to see Mark.

I know it technically has a bunch of plot holes but I've honestly always just considered FEH Non-canon. (Since every FE being connected in a big multiverse isn't really something I want to be a part of the canon.) 

Yeah, same. It's really just a Smash Bros-style crossover, it can incorporate the canon of traditional FE games but that doesn't mean they're held to its canon.