Best Characters for DLC Classes

BloodRonin

I assume if you click this you know it is a spoiler for rewards, but I will still mark it. 

Spoiler

With the DLC officially out, we gain 2 new classes upon completion. What characters/skill set up do you think works for the new dlc classes?

I made Lapis a mage cannon (not sure if I should have or not) because of her passive for the free 10 Hit rate. I haven't put any skills on her yet. Enchanter wise, I just did Jean because I think he looks good as one. What about you? Who do you plan to use as dlc classes and why?

Edited by BloodRonin

• BloodRonin changed the title to Best Characters for DLC Classes
8 hours ago, ciphertul said:

I don’t know with the cost of the items, they don’t inspire confidence to experiment.

Well, now we know why Wave 2 (and I think 3) gave us so much money for free.

But yeah, here I was thinking the new class items would cost the same as the Seals and here they are costing a small fortune even with the Silver Card...

Anyway, while I assumed Mage Cannoneer would be good on anyone who was already a tank, but the fact that Hit and Dmg calculations are swapped for them gave me pause. I'd love to know what people make of them after tinkering with them some more.

As for the other class, I was considering making Framme an Enchanter since she deals next to no damage as a Martial Master at the moment (at least mine doesn't). I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet of course, given the cost of the items.

Edited by DefyingFates

Back after experimenting. (SO GLAD I SAVED BEFORE USING MY DLC ITEMS)

16 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I assumed Mage Cannoneer would be good on anyone who was already a tank, the fact that Hit and Dmg calculations are swapped for them gave me pause

Mage Canonner really feels weird with Dex being the damage and str being the hit rate. That being said, skills for +hit really help, especially if they have a personal skill on top of it. This is super useful because unlike the dragonstones that are considered weapons, the mage cannon items are scripted to be, well items it seems. So they cannot be engraved and their effects (like poison for example) do not apply when being used with the Lucina ring as a back up attack. (though the range is good at least).   I reset a few times and found Anna is just hilarious looking as one, but doesn't have the best growth rates for it. (starsphere helps that a ton, and it is fun to cannon someone from afar and then get money lol...)  Even with the silver card you still have to spend 60k... ridiculous. At least the dlc gives you 1 for free after clearing. Since the cannons can't follow up, speed is just about useless.   And because they can only hit from 3-8 range, if you were to get hit you can't attack back, (but you would get doubled regardless by majority of the units in game, at least on maddening with their slow speed). But at least with their high defense, if they do get hit by melee, they can take it, usually. But you would want the positioned to not be hit since they can't counter anyway.

Some picks for me would be Jade, mainly because I feel it just fits her.  Lapis if you invent in her early seems to be solid and I am glad I chose her. Having Alear next to her for the extra damage (and +10 hit from Lapis skill) is nice for doing great damage from afar. But you do waste  her speed growth. 

Kagetsu is a monster and feels wasted as one, but he has really nice growths, and his personal skill is really useful for mage cannoneer. 

Boucheron has really nice Dex growth, but his str is meh overall. But his passive skill for chain attacks will proc a lot, assuming you have a lot of back up units. 

Of course Str/Dex+5 from Edgard will be really useful as well. I assume Lunar brace+ would be too, but I do not have the SP for it yet to test how good. I think overall though, you for sure want Hit+ from Sigurd. The hit rate seems to fall off a good amount when you attack further enemies. 

I am curious what others will come up with. So far Anna is my fav just cause of looks, but is not the best stat spread for growths. 

2 hours ago, Cupie said:

Are Sigurd's Hit+ skills better to use than Byleth's Divine Pulse? I'm not really sure how well it scales with luck.

I think the breakpoint is somewhere around 85-90% ish where Hit starts being better than Divine Pulse+. DP+ being cheaper and scaling generally means its the better option if the character has any amount of luck.

After some testing I really like my Lapis set up. Canter is a must have imo. The 4 movement sucks but having Canter (plus the long range) solves the movement issue. 

Lapis' personal skill on top of hit+15 solved all my hit issues, even for max range attacks. Divine pulse may be better but I'm only at chapter 10 on my current maddening run. I gave Lapis the Tiki bracelet to have for buffs since she will almost always be next to someone  and in case she needs to attack in melee (frost breath is pretty clutch and tiki bonuses make her very tanky while engaged)

The venom blast is amazing. It applies all 3 stacks of poison on hit. With Canter, hit and go tactics and the super far range can be abused like crazy. 

I don't think it's the best class in the traditional sense, but Enchanter!Anna gives her what I believe to be her highest Luck cap, so if you want to grind out money in the endgame like I do, putting her in Enchanter with Luck+ & Tiki means ~60% chance for Make a Killing to proc

10 hours ago, ciphertul said:

It does feel weird that the Mage Cannon is an Armored type as it doesn’t do anything for them. 

IMO I think it’s more to make them vulnerable, especially on the Xenologues. It means anyone with a rapier can quickly one round them which, amusingly enough, makes them more vulnerable as opposed to stronger when someone gets near.

1 hour ago, Nukemind said:

IMO I think it’s more to make them vulnerable, especially on the Xenologues. It means anyone with a rapier can quickly one round them which, amusingly enough, makes them more vulnerable as opposed to stronger when someone gets near.

True it really doesn't do anything for the player's, but helps against them. Made Panette and oddly enough Anna good in FX 5 as both have Hammers.

Mage Canoneer calculated dmg using dex? And calculates hit using str??? And they deal magic dmg??? Interesting. I might as well reclass my Boucheron to Mage Canoneer then???

For Enchanter as a support class, I think most anyone can make it work. As a support unit, I would think of it like Three Houses dancer, where the class can make anyone useful regardless of their stats, so stick it on your worst character you don't want to bench. I'm thinking two builds for the class:

1. Lucina!Enchanter - As a Qi Adept unit, an Enchanter gets 100% bonded shield success rate. With a knife equipped, Enchanter can apply poison through chain attacks. Also, Enchanter applies buffs to themselves and adjacent allies, which synergizes well for enemy phase positioning with how Lucina increases support bonuses.
  2. Micaiah!Enchanter - Use up to A rank staves while having access to the convoy. Since this utility is now not exclusive to Alear, you can use it on a character with an actual magic stat. Characters with personal skills to boost hit rates of offensive staves can be considered in lieu of a magic stat.

The class gets B arts and B knives, both of which can go up to A with an innate talent. You don't gain too much from A daggers (possible with Yunaka, Zelkov, and Merrin) but A arts gives access to Flashing Fist Art (possible on Framme, Jean, and Seadall, though Seadall has no reason to reclass out of Dancer). For damage output, quading with good arts damage (high average of strength and magic) is the way to go. It's interestingly kind of the mirror of the Martial Master class stats wise, where Martial Master is limited by low speed cap and Enchanter by low strength and magic caps. Lyn!Martial Master and Eirika!Enchanter (Lunar Brace true damage quading) can fix the respective short comings, but fixing speed on Martial Master seems easier (and you can use Lunar Brace AND speed simultaneously). So, anyone who makes a good Martial Master would do well here, but if that's how you want to use them, stick to Martial Master.

6 hours ago, FashionEmblem said:

Framme

Oh, I'm happy to know someone else thinks she'd be a good fit too! The necessary items are still too expensive for me to want to use them freely, but this is still really helpful to know!

7 hours ago, Viberum said:

Mage Canoneer calculated dmg using dex? And calculates hit using str???

Yeah, the class is definitely cut from a unique cloth, huh? What other units are there with high Dex and Str but low stats in Mag, Spd and other stats?

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

What other units are there with high Dex and Str but low stats in Mag, Spd and other stats?

Etie fits that bill well, but she is already a strong warrior for me.

I went lapis and can't go back now lol (though I do have a separate save for testing). I found her hit passive in combo with hit+15 solved all my issues. Damage is lower than expected, but she does have nice dex scaling at the very least. 

Enchanter wise, I have to test still, but I like the suggested Lucina idea mentioned above.

Rosado to me seems like the perfect target for cannoneer. I'm aiming the xenolouge to be complete around 15 to 16. By then you should have more solid wyvern options in kagetsu, lapis, chloe, even Amber, jade, or diamant anyway so sacking him to go that class is good. He'll have strong enough rates to gain both strength and hit in the class. As for enchanter, assuming like the dancer you'll almost never attack, anyone who gains defensive stats the best is good. Bunet or Boucheron would be fine, framme losing staff access is a little sus to me so I wouldn't do it unless I'm planning to have multiple staff users.

I tried out the Yunaka enchanter set up with Lucina. (Technically can be done with everyone but she was my only dagger unit I had besides Zelkov and I am keeping him Theif). I love this set up. As mentioned above bonded shield with 100% chance is super nice. So is getting the free poison procs from chain attacks.  I like having the silver dagger on her. She still dishes out damage when needed but realistically she is there to support. I either buff, poison, chain guard, shield or break mages with fists.  The enchanter buffs are no joke.

I am not sure if she is the best enchanter, but I made her one because of looks compared to others (and Silver dagger access.) 

*edit I don't have quality time yet, but I imagine that would be good on the enchanter set up as well. I imagine it would proc when you buff, but I need to test if it does or not. 

I am not sure how book of worlds would interact with her, but might work too? Not sure what the other skill should be on her. 

Edited by BloodRonin

A Mage Canoneer sounds like easy pickings for someone like Sombron or Griss.

The damage being based on Dex is really interesting though. One would think it'd be from either Str or Mag

I haven't tried Mage Canoneer because it didn't seem that appealing to me at the time, but Enchanter is fantastic. The character of choice isn't really important, but if you can somehow get a unit with enough defenses that the AI prefers targeting their Bonded Shield target over them that would be something to consider. Otherwise they really just need to get to level 5 and then spam Weapon/Item surge to be effective.

Mage Cannon is super OP. If you have a character with dragonic hex, you can get 3 stacks of poison instantly and lower stats of multiple enemies at once. It is super good. 

Character wise I used Lapis on my first run since she has a nice personal skill, but her growths are pretty bad for it. My 2nd run i am going to use Rosado.

Enchanter is super disappointing to me. After seeing how their skills work ect, all the tonics  besides a few are useless to me. (Weight one is nice) The main reason to use the enchanter would be for the hold out buff. 

I would rather use any other class that has built in healing along with rally spectrum+. 3 in all stats for all allies within 2 ranges is so good imo and that can be learned by anyone.

Edited by BloodRonin

31 minutes ago, BloodRonin said:

The main reason to use the enchanter would be for the hold out buff.

I found the Pure Water and Weapon Surge effects to be more useful generally speaking; 20 crit on Killer Axes was my primary use case, but the +5 Mt on weapons that get that can be equally strong; it's just that I'd worry more about buffing enemies then.

I would rather use any other class that has built in healing along with rally spectrum+. 3 in all stats for all allies within 2 ranges is so good imo and that can be learned by anyone.

That's what I gave my enchanter when they weren't performing enchanter or Bonded Shield duties. I don't find healing to be quite as necessary with DLC and well access either since there are so many ways of avoiding damage, and character power level has increased by quite a lot.

Edited by samthedigital