Promoting Units In Fe4 Question

SuperSheepPow

So I'm on Chapter 4 of Fe4 and I'm kind of wondering when I'm supposed to be able to promote my units? I've read some forums and they say you should be able to promote at level 20, but I have multiple units at level 20 and Oifey says I've already changed my class, even though I haven't? I'm also play on the Fe4 Remix patch, if that changes anything. Midir with an iron bow is really not rocking with me right now.

Sigurd counts as already promoted, but if your units in "normal" classes are level 20 and you're still getting that message, that sounds like a bug? Midir should certainly be able to promote, for instance. Note that you can only promote at the "home" castle for each chapter.

Incidentally, if you prefer Midir to Jamke, you can always move the Killer Bow over to him.

11 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Sigurd counts as already promoted, but if your units in "normal" classes are level 20 and you're still getting that message, that sounds like a bug? Midir should certainly be able to promote, for instance. Note that you can only promote at the "home" castle for each chapter.

Incidentally, if you prefer Midir to Jamke, you can always move the Killer Bow over to him.

Yeah i've only been trying to promote in base castle and oifey still says no.  I also tried with Ayra and Erin who are both level 21 or higher right now and its not working. I'm thinking this has something to do with the FE Remix patch but I can't find anyone talking about it. 😕

6 minutes ago, SuperSheepPow said:

Yeah i've only been trying to promote in base castle and oifey still says no.  I also tried with Ayra and Erin who are both level 21 or higher right now and its not working. I'm thinking this has something to do with the FE Remix patch but I can't find anyone talking about it. 😕

Okay wait so I've done some digging and apparently the Fe4 Remix patch has some problem with promoting and camus the dark knight is literally recommending uninstalling the patch LMFAO. SO, new question, if I uninstall a patch, can I still load my save that I have or will I need to reset? Or actually, could I uninstall the patch, promote my units, and then just reapply the patch ?

3 minutes ago, SuperSheepPow said:

I'm not familiar with this patch, but usually save files can be transferred just fine between a patched and unpatched version of the game. So I'd suggest saving (properly, as if you were playing on an actual console), then loading the save in an unpatched version of the game (or one patched with a standard translation patch), and seeing if that fixes things. Depending on how you're playing the game you may need to find the save file (it'll be a srm file) and rename it.

14 hours ago, SuperSheepPow said:

Does it show a blinking arrow next to their level in the stats screen? That's what the base game does when a first-tier unit can be promoted. I would just be curious whether the game isn't recognizing those units as "promotable", or if it is, but there's something wrong with the promotion function itself.

In either case, assuming the "problem" units are first-tier (as they are in the base game), it sounds like an issue with the patch. Whether save files will work on either version of the game ("patched" or "vanilla") probably depends on how extensive it is. Folks in a dedicated "FE4 Remix" thread would probably know better.

On 4/10/2023 at 8:14 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

I'm not familiar with this patch, but usually save files can be transferred just fine between a patched and unpatched version of the game. So I'd suggest saving (properly, as if you were playing on an actual console), then loading the save in an unpatched version of the game (or one patched with a standard translation patch), and seeing if that fixes things. Depending on how you're playing the game you may need to find the save file (it'll be a srm file) and rename it.

Okay, so I did just that and can now promote my units. Interesting. Thanks.