I want to see a Mario and Donkey Kong crossover

Jotari

Donkey Kong's surprisingly large role in the Mario Movie has me thinking about this. Isn't it kind of surprising there has never been a crossover between the two? Oh sure, they've been in plenty of game together, but I mean a Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario crossover, as in their main platforming series, not something like Mario vs Donkey Kong (a rather obscure set of games for the GBA and DS that were actually pretty good). I'm talking Bowser and King K Rool teaming up. Mario shooting out of barrels, Donkey Kong getting a fire flower. That just seems like it would be a tonne of fun to blend the different elements of the platformers together. And I'm surprised it hasn't happened. Hell it doesn't even seem to be something anyone's speculated about before now, at least as far as I can see.

Alternatively, since Donkey Kong was the original Mario villain, perhaps he's the one who should be teaming up with Bowser? Actually, a "rogues gallery" game could be interesting. Where you get to play as Bowser, DK, Wario, Doopliss...

Uh, where was I? Oh yeah, a Mario-DK team-up platformer. A Super Mario Kong Country, if you will. I... suppose that could work. Maybe let DK, Diddy, Dixie, and Funky Kong go through stages across SMB history, while Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Peach do the same with DKC stages. Or new world and stages that combine the two settings, and let you bring one of each (say, Funky and Peach). Still a lot to figure out, but I think there's potential here.

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Formatting.

9 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Alternatively, since Donkey Kong was the original Mario villain, perhaps he's the one who should be teaming up with Bowser? Actually, a "rogues gallery" game could be interesting. Where you get to play as Bowser, DK, Wario, Doopliss...

If I remember correctly, the Donkey Kong that was the original Mario villain canonically is now Cranky Kong; the current Donkey Kong is Donkey Kong Jr.

A crossover seems like it makes a ton of sense on paper, but I feel like it'd be more difficult to pull off than one might think. Mostly because Mario and Donkey Kong have two very different styles of platforming. I don't just mean in the sense of more open world vs. side-scrolling or anything like that, either. I mean in the way they actually control. The controls in Donkey Kong Country games are floaty and much less precise, it feels more "slippery" in a way. Super Mario doesn't really feel like that. It'd be hard to find some kind of balance between the two without leaning more heavily into one than the other.

On 5/4/2023 at 7:46 AM, vanguard333 said:

If I remember correctly, the Donkey Kong that was the original Mario villain canonically is now Cranky Kong; the current Donkey Kong is Donkey Kong Jr.

Nintendo has never been able to make up their minds about that. Cranky is the original Donkey Kong, the original Mario villain, but the DK we all know and love with the necktie? His relation to Crank seems to drift between being his son and his grandson. In the new movie, they made him Cranky's son, but in the original Donkey Kong Country they refer to him as Cranky's grandson. It keeps shifting between son and grandson, for some reason.

53 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

A crossover seems like it makes a ton of sense on paper, but I feel like it'd be more difficult to pull off than one might think. Mostly because Mario and Donkey Kong have two very different styles of platforming. I don't just mean in the sense of more open world vs. side-scrolling or anything like that, either. I mean in the way they actually control. The controls in Donkey Kong Country games are floaty and much less precise, it feels more "slippery" in a way. Super Mario doesn't really feel like that. It'd be hard to find some kind of balance between the two without leaning more heavily into one than the other.

Nintendo has never been able to make up their minds about that. Cranky is the original Donkey Kong, the original Mario villain, but the DK we all know and love with the necktie? His relation to Crank seems to drift between being his son and his grandson. In the new movie, they made him Cranky's son, but in the original Donkey Kong Country they refer to him as Cranky's grandson. It keeps shifting between son and grandson, for some reason.

😶...maybe it's both.

11 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Nintendo seems to care very little about Mario canon in general, the exact relationship of the Koopalings to Bowser has changed as well. That said: Cranky Kong being the original Donkey Kong re-imagined, and DKC's hero being Donkey Kong Junior re-imagined always made the most sense to me.

Mario being a rival/enemy of the Kongs was pretty well-established by the 80's through early 90's before Donkey Kong Country kinda sawed the Kongs off into their own little sub-universe, so I do agree that a crossover playing that up seems a logical direction to go.

13 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I see. Thanks for the information. The current Donkey Kong being Donkey Kong Jr. makes the most sense to me. Otherwise, if a crossover were to happen, Mario would have to be really old.

Donkey Kong Country and Yoshi's Island are closer in style in my imo. Both emphasize exploration and completionism and removed the timer so you can play at your own pace through every level. DKC just has a more notorious difficulty in precision platforming while Yoshi is technically indestructible. Plus the main characters have both been tasked with searching for their lost fruit. DK swings on vines, Yoshi swings with his tongue.

I've always felt Yoshi's Island would have been the easiest transition into that N64 collectathon era. And with all the difficulties of 3D platforming and depth perception, we sure would have appreciated the Flutter Kick for course correction. Aiming eggs in first person like you do with DK's coconut gun. As for plot, let's say the Kongs fall into a time machine developed by Baron K. Roolenstein. They all get sent into the past. And not only do they find Yoshi, but Baby K Rool. Boom, new Mario Kart character. Baby K Rool Rides Yoshi in Baby Mario's place while present day K Rool teams up with Baby Bowser and Kamek out of desperation since he doesn't have his usual army.

7 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I see. Thanks for the information. The current Donkey Kong being Donkey Kong Jr. makes the most sense to me. Otherwise, if a crossover were to happen, Mario would have to be really old.

To be fair, Mario was an adult in the original Donkey Kong, when he was fighting young Cranky Kong. And now current DK is an adult, along with Mario. So Mario is already really old! 😛

7 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

To be fair, Mario was an adult in the original Donkey Kong, when he was fighting young Cranky Kong. And now current DK is an adult, along with Mario. So Mario is already really old! 😛

Gorillas only live about 40 years though (Donkey Kong is a Gorilla, right?)

You know what? These two are my favourite childhood games and I will definitely want this to happen one way or another. This is one of my greatest what ifs in the world of gaming. Love these two games that made my childhood happy.