New Heroes and Rearmed Chrom

Sunwoo

And the usual translation notes:

The name of the banner, "New Heroes & Rearmed Chrom", is "新英雄&魔器クロム" (shin-eiyū & maki kuromu), "New Heroes & Arcane Weapon Chrom". As usual, I'll be translating "魔器" (maki), "magic weapon", as "Arcane Weapon" everywhere it appears regardless of if it's localized as "Rearmed" or "Arcane".

Byleth's epithet, "Vengeance Vessel", is "復讐を誓いし器" (fukushū o chikaishi utsuwa), "Vessel of Vowed Revenge".

Captain's Sword is "白銀の剣" (hakugin no ken), "Sword of Silver Snow". "白銀" (hakugin) literally translates as "white silver" and typically just means "silver", but metaphorically can be used to refer to snow.

Distant A/S Solo is "遠反・攻速の孤軍" (enhan: kōsoku no kogun), "Distant Counter: Atk/Spd Lone Force". As usual, "遠反" (enhan), is an abbreviation of "遠距離反撃" (enkyori hangeki), "long-range counterattack", which is the name of the Distant Counter skill. "孤軍" (kogun), "isolated army", is the name of the Solo skill series. This is also the first skill in Japanese that abbreviates the names of stats to a single character, shortening "攻撃" (kōgeki), "Atk", to "攻" () and "速さ" (hayasa), "Spd", to "速" (soku).

Maria's epithet, "Ritual Sacrifice", is "生贄の王女" (ikenie no ōjo), "Sacrificial Princess". "生贄" (ikenie) more accurately translates as "living sacrifice".

Sacrifice Staff is "暗黒竜の生贄の杖" (ankokuryū no ikenie no tsue), "Staff of the Living Sacrifice to the Dark Dragon". "暗黒竜" (ankokuryū), literally "darkness dragon", is the name of Mediuth's Shadow Dragon class. "Dark Dragon" is its official translation in Japan.

Holy Panic is "恐慌の聖光" (kyōkō no seikō), "Holy Light of Panic". "恐慌" (kyōkō), "panic", is the name of the Panic status effect when used in skill names like Panic Ploy and Sudden Panic. The status effect is called "パニック" (panikku), which is "panic" transcribed from English.

Anankos's epithet, "Seething Silence", is "狂気の透魔竜" (kyōki no tōmaryū), "Berserk Silent Dragon". "透魔竜" (tōmaryū), localized as "Silent Dragon", literally translates as "invisible magic dragon" and is the name of Anankos's Silent Dragon class. "透魔" (tōma), "invisible magic", is also the name of the kingdom of Valla in Japanese.

Silent Breath is "透魔竜のブレス" (tōmaryū no buresu), "Silent Dragon's Breath".

Savvy Fighter is "慧眼隊形" (keigan taikei), "Savvy Formation". As usual, "隊形" (taikei), "formation", is the name of the Fighter skill series, hence why its skill icons depict formations of dots.

Chrom's epithet, "Fell Exalt" is "屍王" (shikabane-ō), "Risen King". "屍" (shikabane), officially translated as "Undead" in Japan and localized as "Risen", literally means "corpse".

Arcane Devourer is "魔器・屍王の絶剣" (maki: shikabane-ō no zekken), "Arcane Weapon: Extinguishing Sword of the Risen King".

Fate Unchanged... is "運命ハ変ワラナイ…" (unmei wa kawaranai...), "[I...] couldn't change fate...". "運命は変わらない" (unmei wa kawaranai) more precisely translates as "Fate wasn't changed", but because Japanese grammar allows for the dropping of subjects when they are clear from context, "I couldn't change fate" is more accurate (with the potential form, i.e. "couldn't" instead of "didn't", also implied from context). The skill name uses katakana instead of hiragana for its kana characters, which is commonly used for non-human or otherwise abnormal speech in order to dehumanize it and make it look as unsettling as it's supposed to sound. This is analogous to the use of mIXeD CasE in English to convey the same thing. Also, compare with Chrom's other exclusive assist skills, To Change Fate!, which is "運命を変える!" (unmei o kaeru!), "I will change fate!" (literally "Fate will be changed!"), and A Fate Changed!, which is "運命は変わった!" (unmei wa kawatta!), "I have changed fate!" (literally "Fate has changed!").

Spd/Def Snag is "速さ守備の干渉" (hayasa shubi no kanshō), "Spd/Def Interference".

Linus's epithet, "Savage Dog", is "闇の中の狂犬" (yami no naka no kyōken), "The Mad Dog in the Darkness".

Dead-Fang Axe is "命なき狂牙の斧" (inochi-naki kyōga no ono), "Axe of the Lifeless Mad Fang".

I'm honestly disappointed Chrom's English epithet isn't "Risen King" like it is in Japanese.

Edited by Ice Dragon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not been this excited for a banner for a very long time (last time I think it was for the Fomo + Gotoh banner).
I like every unit present, especially Marianne, and I wish I had the orbs to actually pull and try and get her, but the recent Legendary banner drained my orb stash to the limit....
There will be other chances for me to get her surely (I also believe the community will vote to rerun it next year).

Fallen banners are ones I always look up for, I can't get tired of them and I hope IS will keep them for the future.

15 hours ago, Humanoid said:

All in all, powerful but boring, with an arcane weapon I probably wouldn't be able to give to anyone until either the NY banner is re-run, or more Clash 3 skills arrive in the 4* pool. Blah.

You can give Chrom's entire kit to someone somewhat easily as most of the prerequisites are likely already in your barracks aside from Clash: Silver Sword, Atk/Spd Clash from NY!Panne, Spd/Def Snag from Kent, Spd Tactic 3 from Dwyer(needs 20K feathers). Snag is flier/cavalry exclusive so you can save 20K feathers and just get Spd Tactic 2 from Dwyer to inherit everything except Snag. 

I plan on giving the sword to Caeda so she's getting the full kit if I do pull for it. Thank goodness I held off from pulling Arcane Élujú∂nir. I am in saving mode though so I'm debating if I should just wait until the banner gets a FB rerun. Does anyone know the earliest a NH banner has gotten its FB rerun(assuming it's a popular banner like the fallen banners)?

Edited by Flying Shogi

1 hour ago, Flying Shogi said:

You can give Chrom's entire kit to someone somewhat easily as most of the prerequisites are likely already in your barracks aside from Clash: Silver Sword, Atk/Spd Clash from NY!Panne, Spd/Def Snag from Kent, Spd Tactic 3 from Dwyer(needs 20K feathers). Snag is flier/cavalry exclusive so you can save 20K feather and just get Spd Tactic 2 from Dwyer to inherit everything except Snag. 

Yep, and it's an attractive deal for people with a NY Panne spare. I don't even have one copy, let alone one to fodder, so I'd be left waiting indefinitely. With that in mind, I probably would be best served waiting for a re-run. I don't have a favourite candidate for the weapon anyway, Palla is probably too slow, and neither of the obvious common candidates in Kent or Tanith spark joy.

1 hour ago, Flying Shogi said:

Does anyone know the earliest a NH banner has gotten its FB rerun(assuming it's a popular banner like the fallen banners)?

The Rearmed Lif banner (September 2022) won the most recent vote, doing so the first time it was eligible. As the re-run itself will be happening this month, that means it will be an eight month turnaround.

The next round of voting will add the Grima banner (October 2022) and the Ganglot banner (November 2022). The vote after that would add Ophelia and Engage. Then Elincia and Tana. Only after that do we get Ingrid and Chrom.

I went to look at who would be good candidates to inherit Arcane Devourer, and I'm finding it to be really unfortunate that Chrom is a cavalry unit. Fast swords that would benefit from Arcane Devourer are overwhelmingly infantry and would really have preferred it if Chrom had the ability to pass down infantry-exclusive skills like Godlike Reflexes, Tempo skills, and Dodge skills, especially since Arcane Devourer has the Special acceleration effects necessary to make Godlike Reflexes work. And while there were significantly fewer units that could use Arcane Downfall, at least Ganglot was infantry and could pass down infantry-exclusive skills.

The fastest sword units that do not have an exclusive weapon, do not have an exclusive weapon yet, or have an exclusive weapon with a refine that is worse than or a side-grade to Arcane Devourer (stats with max Dragonflowers):

Spoiler

Non-infantry in bold:

• Valentine Hana (47) (armor)
  • Resplendent Mia (47)
  • Resplendent Lon'qu (46)
  • Ninja Zihark (45+)
  • Guy (45)
  • Mia (45)
  • Resplendent Leaf (45)
  • Thief Rickard (44+) (flier)
  • Winter Manuela (44+) (armor)
  • Lon'qu (44)
  • Resplendent Lyn (44)
  • Kamui (43+)
  • Legendary Ryoma (43) (flier) (side-grade)
  • Leaf (43)
  • Athena (43)
  • Resplendent Lucina (43) (side-grade)
  • Resplendent Caeda (43) (flier)
  • Kent (42+) (cavalry)
  • Flame Rinkah (42+)
  • Tanith (42+) (flier)
  • Valentine Ike (42) (armor)
  • Mahnya (42) (flier)
  • Owain (42) (side-grade)
  • Navarre (42)
  • Bride Sigrun (42) (flier)
  • Lyn (42)
  • Resplendent Ryoma (42) (side-grade)
  • Resplendent Eirika (42)

There's literally only one cavalry unit on this list. Sure, I'm using an arbitrary cutoff of 45 Spd with a Spd Asset and max Dragonflowers (exactly one full speed tier below the lead of 50 Spd, but still arbitrary), but the next-fastest sword cavalry that meets these criteria is Siegbert at 42 Spd, which is 4 points and almost a full speed tier lower than Kent's 46 Spd.

Heck, even being a flier would've been better because there are 6 fliers that made the list, and he would've at least gotten access to Rein and Oath skills.

I guess the one saving grace of being cavalry is that he can be used to duplicate Alarm, though that still comes at the cost of not giving Arcane Devourer to any of the many good non-cavalry options.

30 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I went to look at who would be good candidates to inherit Arcane Devourer, and I'm finding it to be really unfortunate that Chrom is a cavalry unit. Fast swords that would benefit from Arcane Devourer are overwhelmingly infantry and would really have preferred it if Chrom had the ability to pass down infantry-exclusive skills like Godlike Reflexes, Tempo skills, and Dodge skills, especially since Arcane Devourer has the Special acceleration effects necessary to make Godlike Reflexes work. And while there were significantly fewer units that could use Arcane Downfall, at least Ganglot was infantry and could pass down infantry-exclusive skills.

The fastest sword units that do not have an exclusive weapon, do not have an exclusive weapon yet, or have an exclusive weapon with a refine that is worse than or a side-grade to Arcane Devourer (stats with max Dragonflowers):

Hide contents

Non-infantry in bold:

• Valentine Hana (47) (armor)
  • Resplendent Mia (47)
  • Resplendent Lon'qu (46)
  • Ninja Zihark (45+)
  • Guy (45)
  • Mia (45)
  • Resplendent Leaf (45)
  • Thief Rickard (44+) (flier)
  • Winter Manuela (44+) (armor)
  • Lon'qu (44)
  • Resplendent Lyn (44)
  • Kamui (43+)
  • Legendary Ryoma (43) (flier) (side-grade)
  • Leaf (43)
  • Athena (43)
  • Resplendent Lucina (43) (side-grade)
  • Resplendent Caeda (43) (flier)
  • Kent (42+) (cavalry)
  • Flame Rinkah (42+)
  • Tanith (42+) (flier)
  • Valentine Ike (42) (armor)
  • Mahnya (42) (flier)
  • Owain (42) (side-grade)
  • Navarre (42)
  • Bride Sigrun (42) (flier)
  • Lyn (42)
  • Resplendent Ryoma (42) (side-grade)
  • Resplendent Eirika (42)

There's literally only one cavalry unit on this list. Sure, I'm using an arbitrary cutoff of 45 Spd with a Spd Asset and max Dragonflowers (exactly one full speed tier below the lead of 50 Spd, but still arbitrary), but the next-fastest sword cavalry that meets these criteria is Siegbert at 42 Spd, which is 4 points and almost a full speed tier lower than Kent's 46 Spd.

Heck, even being a flier would've been better because there are 6 fliers that made the list, and he would've at least gotten access to Rein and Oath skills.

I guess the one saving grace of being cavalry is that he can be used to duplicate Alarm, though that still comes at the cost of not giving Arcane Devourer to any of the many good non-cavalry options.

Unfortunate that both arcane swords so far are cavalry - and both arcane lances, now that I think about it. That's weird, that they'd be two for two on doubling up.

10 minutes ago, Othin said:

Unfortunate that both arcane swords so far are cavalry - and both arcane lances, now that I think about it. That's weird, that they'd be two for two on doubling up.

Rearmed Ingrid is on a pegasus

Although they could've removed Chrom from his horse for this one

I think Linus is based on his vengeance seeking form and not his Morph form and Lloyd doesn't go as deep in it that his brother does (Linus would quite literally attack Nino if he could while Lloyd would only do so if he is attacked by her). So I can see them not making a Fallen Lloyd.

14 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I don't know... Having Fomortiis survive a combat in AR-D, for then heal all his HP back and still end your unit's turns doesn't sound good. 

It shouldn't work because the prf has the "effect only triggers on player's team once per map" clause which to me reads as "AI controlled team won't be able to use this effect", so it should automatically exclude any AR-D shenanigans (although I've seen some people on Reddit say that the JP description doesn't have the player only clause so who knows). That being said, seeing F!Maria with Fomortiis on SD is going to be horrible.

Fallen Linus art [SPOILERS]:

Spoiler

Not that I expected anything different but yeah, he's got an axe again.

Why didn't we just get Nergal if the GHB had to be an FE7 character? Like I already said, this is just redundant.

15 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Maria's epithet, "Ritual Sacrifice", is "生贄の王女" (ikenie no ōjo), "Sacrificial Princess". "生贄" (ikenie) more accurately translates as "living sacrifice".

生贄 is one of those words that I learned from YGO and never actually looked up. Thinking back, the fact that it's specifically referring to living sacrifice makes a lot of sense since Monsters are considered living creatures.

10 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Yep, and it's an attractive deal for people with a NY Panne spare. I don't even have one copy, let alone one to fodder, so I'd be left waiting indefinitely. With that in mind, I probably would be best served waiting for a re-run.

I don't have a NY!Panne either. I don't expect new skills like Clash to enter the normal pool as a 4* unlock anytime soon but the fact that we're still playing catch up to get old skills to be released as a 4* unlock such as the Ploy skills is disappointing. Don't get me started on QR3. I'm not hurting for feathers but I rather not spend 20K feathers for skills that have a decent chance of being dropped to 4*. 

10 hours ago, Humanoid said:

The Rearmed Lif banner (September 2022) won the most recent vote, doing so the first time it was eligible. As the re-run itself will be happening this month, that means it will be an eight month turnaround.

Assuming this banner gets the 8 month treatment, then the rerun will take place in January 2024, which is when NY!Panne will be back. I think that's a better time to commit orbs when I can get all the pieces in a short time span. I have the orbs to spark Chrom on this banner but he most likely would just be sitting there until I get Atk/Spd Clash 3 so I'm not in a hurry. Sure, it's a big upgrade for my Caeda but it's not a must-have.

35 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Fallen Linus art [SPOILERS]:

Hide contents

Not that I expected anything different but yeah, he's got an axe again.

Why didn't we just get Nergal if the GHB had to be an FE7 character? Like I already said, this is just redundant.

Spoiler

Nergal's a perfect fit for a Mythic and would likely get better treatment there than as a GHB. I'd like for him to be playable too but this isn't his only option and not his best one either.

1 hour ago, Medeus said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Nergal's a perfect fit for a Mythic and would likely get better treatment there than as a GHB. I'd like for him to be playable too but this isn't his only option and not his best one either.

Spoiler

Anankos also would've made sense as a Mythic, yet IS put him on this banner instead.

Nergal could very well end up as a Mythic, but he could also very well end up as a Grand Hero Battle. For as predictable as they can be at times, IS can still throw occasional curveballs.

Besides, if Nergal ends up as GHB it wouldn't be the first time IS lowballed a Mythic candidate (hi Nemesis).

51 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:
  Hide contents

Anankos also would've made sense as a Mythic, yet IS put him on this banner instead.

Nergal could very well end up as a Mythic, but he could also very well end up as a Grand Hero Battle. For as predictable as they can be at times, IS can still throw occasional curveballs.

Besides, if Nergal ends up as GHB it wouldn't be the first time IS lowballed a Mythic candidate (hi Nemesis).

Spoiler

Anankos has three different forms to choose from: Heir of Fates, Revelation, and the backstory version we see in concept. We got Heir of Fates' version which works the best for a Fallen unit, which leaves the latter two and the last one is a perfect option for a Mythic. 

Also, the fact that it happened to Nemesis and he also went on to be a very disappointing GHB should be even more reason to avoid it. They have done better by those units as of late, but there's still limitations in how they're implemented since they're going to be free units. Additionally, units of saturated archetypes also run the risk of being gimmicky or redundant, and Nergal is very much at risk for that since he'd likely be a red tome and we have multiples of those type of units. While he can be either, the option that would be preferable for the character is a Mythic since there'd be more flexibility allowed for the character, that is not an option someone like Linus has as he can't be a Mythic or a Legendary. 

Edited by Medeus

10 hours ago, Alexmender said:

It shouldn't work because the prf has the "effect only triggers on player's team once per map" clause which to me reads as "AI controlled team won't be able to use this effect", so it should automatically exclude any AR-D shenanigans (although I've seen some people on Reddit say that the JP description doesn't have the player only clause so who knows). That being said, seeing F!Maria with Fomortiis on SD is going to be horrible.

I think that's bad wording from the english translation, honestly. But we will have to wait and see.

If that does work on AI controlled team, then that will be AR-D cancer for sure.

I think a way to "fix" it would be putting this effect locked behind Ally Support. Like, she can only grant the effect to the ally she has ally support and only when she is within 2 spaces of said ally. That would lock the effect to player's control only.

12 hours ago, Alexmender said:

1 hour ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I think that's bad wording from the english translation, honestly. But we will have to wait and see.

If that does work on AI controlled team, then that will be AR-D cancer for sure.

Japanese skill descriptions are usually better worded, and here's how that particular line reads there:

以下の効果は、自軍で1マップ1回のみ。
Ika no kōka wa, jigun de 1 mappu 1 kai nomi.

The below effect [occurs] for one's own team only once per map.

Compare the wording to the condition on Meisterbogen's follow-up prevention, which is definitively for the player only:

プレイヤー操作時のみ
pureiyā sōsa-toki nomi

Only when under the player's control

However, compare the wording to the disclaimer on Duo and Harmonized skills that do not refresh (Harmonized skills use identical wording, but with "Harmonized" instead of "Duo"):

比翼スキルは マップ中1回、「比翼ボタン」を押して使用可能。
Hiyoku sukiru wa mappu-chū 1 kai, "hiyoku botan" o oshite shiyō kanō.

Once during a map, the Duo Skill can be used by pressing the "Duo button".

And the disclaimer on Life Unending's healing effect and Circlet of Balance's Miracle effect (Life Unending does not have the period at the end):

1マップ1回のみ。
1 mappu 1 kai nomi.

Only once per map.

There does not appear to be another skill in the game that specifically uses the same wording as Sacrifice Staff, which is a bit weird, but the wording uses "one's own" instead of "the player".

If anyone remembers any other skill effects that activate only once per map or that activate only when under player control (and explicitly says so, not just references a mechanic only the player can use, like supports), let me know, and I'll grab the Japanese text for it and see if it's different.

23 hours ago, Deathcon said:

I think Linus is based on his vengeance seeking form and not his Morph form and Lloyd doesn't go as deep in it that his brother does (Linus would quite literally attack Nino if he could while Lloyd would only do so if he is attacked by her). So I can see them not making a Fallen Lloyd.

It's confirmed now that it is Morph Linus, so there's no excuse not to give us Lloyd now.

Well dang. Guess I'll post here since the FB doesn't have its own thread.

Main Plot - Intro and C level

Spoiler

I wondered for a while if the Askrans and Ash here were versions in another world for some reason, and this suspicion was confirmed a bit more when Elm appeared and said that the last thing he remembered was fainting in Askr's realm (since he also appeared later on in the book to talk to Embla and fight the Askrans again.) Alternatively, he went back to Askr's realm for some reason after that fight and passed out. So, this may be IS being all "Oh right; we never confirmed if he died or not." and decided not to kill him (which would make him the 2nd male in FEH to survive the main story, the first being Hrid. Alfonse doesn't count because Lif.) Kind of weird that the Askrans were calling the summoner "summoner" instead of using his/her inserted name, though... Maybe that's part of what makes me wonder if this is "our" Askr... It's interesting, too, that Briedablik reacted without the summoner telling it to fire off heroes, and that the darkness sucked the summoner in. I wonder how all this is related, especially since you'd think that an enclosure wouldn't be pierced by Briedablik in order to yoink heroes out of their home worlds/timelines. Maybe Briedablik being unable to summon correctly is what brought these particular fallen heroes over? It's also nice to see Elm again, and see Ash's take on the situation involving the two of them (that the kingdoms of Askr and Embla are buddies now, so the vassals of the actual deities should be buddies too. ... Which makes no sense, really.) Plus, Elm trying to deal with the loss of Embla.

Chrom - C and B

Spoiler

I absolutely love what they're doing here. It's a bit funny that they couldn't actually put Validar in because Validar isn't in the game yet. So, they kind of just had to pantomime fighting the guy. Also, in the B convo, it's nice that Vaike got mentioned even if he didn't show up (on account of not being in the game yet. And because of powercreep, when he does eventually get in, he'll be, like, the most powerful Shepard. XD) Man, though, this really feels like the beginning of Awakening, but fleshed out more. It's so good to be more "with" Chrom in this. I really appreciate getting into his head like this.

I like the approach they're taking for this batch of FB's.

Spoiler

You get to see kind of "how" they got this way, as a sort of theme. At least, you don't just watch the madness from the outside and listen to them rant about it... You get to see it inside of their minds themselves.

This is a good FB (of course, I also just love the fallen heroes theme, so there's that too.) 😛

@Ice Dragon @Alexmender

I can confirm that Fallen Maria's Drive Life Unending from her Sacrifice Staff works when the unit is controlled by the AI, but it worked in the story chapter.

This means it will work in all modes like AR in defensive teams. Fun...

Edit: From Vandarf's Youtube Channel:

dEqzC3G.png

Also... nowhere in the banner's notification says that these units may or may not appear as random foes in others modes like training tower and Tempest Trials.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

Well I was completely wrong about there being an Engage character. I also thought one of the Kanas would get in. Still, I'm pretty pleased overall, though a bit confused by Byleth.

Strange they started in on Morph Linus instead of Morph Brendan too. Brendan is the character you only fight as a morph.

On 5/7/2023 at 12:22 PM, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I'm also wondering if this signals Anakos maybe won't be a Mythic unit anytime soon? Far as I can tell, this is just...Anakos. Just as we see him in Fates. I guess they could give us a not-evil one for a Mythic.

That was my first reaction. He's kind of an inverse Medeus, as he came as a mythic but used up his fallen potential. Now Anankos is here using up his mythic potential. We might still see Good Anankos as a mythic though, but Mythic candidates are so few they were probably best of including both.

Edited by Jotari