What new kinds of FE spinoffs would you like to see?

I'll open with a few basic ideas:

An action JRPG based on the Ys series. FE's weapon triangle already lines up great with Ys's damage types, so it's a wonderful match. Just pick 6 characters in an existing setting for a party, or make a new FE-inspired setting, and you have a recipe for an exciting adventure.

Another traditional turn-based JRPG. But actually in a Fire Emblem fantasy setting this time, whether it is a new or existing one. The main problem here is that FE lacks the enemy variety for this sort of game, so IMO this is where the SMT aspect of the FE x SMT crossover should have come in. If such a thing were to happen again, it would need either a crossover bestiary or a wholly new one.

As for mechanics, some JRPGs employ a front/back/middle line structure, and I think that would be a solid representation of Fire Emblem's strategy gameplay.

An open-world mercenary RPG. Now I'm getting really ambitious and optimistic here. But an open world rpg in which you make your own mercenary in a Fire Emblem setting and explore the world would be incredible. Form bonds, hunt monsters, fight in wars, and choose from multiple factions to ally with.

A Fire Emblem/Final Fantasy crossover that uses FF7R's hybrid turn-based/action combat. The game would have a new FE-inspired setting with some Final Fantasy elements.

36 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

An action JRPG based on the Ys series. FE's weapon triangle already lines up great with Ys's damage types, so it's a wonderful match. Just pick 6 characters in an existing setting for a party, or make a new FE-inspired setting, and you have a recipe for an exciting adventure.

That would be cool; particularly if they made a new Fire Emblem-inspired setting. If a new FE setting was made, I would want the Ys dev team to contribute to the story and worldbuilding since some of what they come up with is really interesting; Ys VIII is proof of that (I'm choosing Ys VIII as an example because it's the only Ys game I've played), but IS should be in charge of the story's conclusion.

How would bows and magic be incorporated into this? Would bows and magic be part of the weapon triangle like in Fates?

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

A Fire Emblem/Final Fantasy crossover that uses FF7R's hybrid turn-based/action combat. The game would have a new FE-inspired setting with some Final Fantasy elements.

That would be cool; particularly if they made a new Fire Emblem-inspired setting. If a new FE setting was made, I would want the Ys dev team to contribute to the story and worldbuilding since some of what they come up with is really interesting; Ys VIII is proof of that (I'm choosing Ys VIII as an example because it's the only Ys game I've played), but IS should be in charge of the story's conclusion.

How would bows and magic be incorporated into this? Would bows and magic be part of the weapon triangle like in Fates?

I think Bows should be the equivalent of piercing weapons, and Magic the equivalent of Striking weapons in Ys.

So, the Ys style triangle would be:

Slash - Sword, Knife

Strike - Axe, Tome

Pierce - Lance, Bow

One character on each weapon type, party of 6.

A strategy game. I'm thinking something along the lines of a 4X game (eg Civilization) or a grand strategy game (eg Crusader Kings). Basically, I want a game where I have more control over the wars and less control over the battles. In FE, the wars always go exactly the same way, in accordance with the dictates of the story. This is when [country] enters the war. This is when we push towards [objective] and so on. Let me control what alliances I make, when I declare war and make peace, how I use my resources, and so on.

To make it feel properly Fire Emblem-y and not just Generic Strategy Game #731, I'd make it very character based, with different rulers and generals having distinct personalities and forming friendships and rivalries. Also, several existing FE settings could translate well. I'm thinking Archanea, Tellius or Fódlan would be the obvious ones. Then there'd also be magic, dragons and shapeshifters. I think that would be enough for it to stand out.

Also, Galdr Galdr Revolution.

1 minute ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I think Bows should be the equivalent of piercing weapons, and Magic the equivalent of Striking weapons in Ys. So, the Ys style triangle would be:

Slash - Sword, Knife

Strike - Axe, Tome

Pierce - Lance, Bow

One character on each weapon type, party of 6.

So, Fire Emblem Fates' weapon triangle with bow, tome and knife shifted (Fates was Sword/Tome -> Axe/Bow -> Lance/Knife). Interesting idea.

I can see the characters/classes now:

Sword - the protagonist. So, lord class.

Knife - A thief/assassin character.

Axe - Fighter.

Tome - Mage.

Lance - Armour knight (giving only one character a horse or flying mount would be weird and complicate exploration, so armour knight makes the most sense).

Bow - Archer.

40 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

So, Fire Emblem Fates' weapon triangle with bow, tome and knife shifted (Fates was Sword/Tome -> Axe/Bow -> Lance/Knife). Interesting idea.

I can see the characters/classes now:

Sword - the protagonist. So, lord class.

Knife - A thief/assassin character.

Axe - Fighter.

Tome - Mage.

Lance - Armour knight (giving only one character a horse or flying mount would be weird and complicate exploration, so armour knight makes the most sense).

Bow - Archer.

You could take the opposite stance. That say, unlocking the horse or wyvern unlocks more exploration. Ys does have exploration gating mechanics. So, say when the wyvern lord with a lance joins your party, you gain the ability to traverse higher terrain. 

Edit: In that case, maybe every character could offer some kind of exploration mechanic on promotion.

Lord - gains a horse, traverse faster.

Archer - Rope shot, traverse gaps

Fighter - Busts boulders with superior strength

Thief - Stealth - traverse silently

Wyvern Rider - Reach high terrain via flying mount

Mage - Gains water magic, air bubbles let you traverse underwater. 

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

Fire Emblem Fighter.

And no lame-ass "only protags and the populars!" drivel, either. Would much rather have a "classes are the fighters, characters are skins" situation so everyone is here and I can have all the wild match-ups I want. Like Wrys and Lindon fighting to see who is the coolest old man in the series, or Xavier and Stefan fighting over the title of Worst Recruitment Of All Time (Xavier wins), or Etie duking it out with Rinkah's painted-on abs, or Conrad getting beat by whoever. It would be awesome.

It might not count but Fire Emblem Warriors Empire. With the create a character kids.

In seriousness, something along the lines of Infinite Undiscovery mixed with Suikoden style recruitments.

Edited by ciphertul

2 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

You could take the opposite stance. That say, unlocking the horse or wyvern unlocks more exploration. Ys does have exploration gating mechanics. So, say when the wyvern lord with a lance joins your party, you gain the ability to traverse higher terrain. 

Edit: In that case, maybe every character could offer some kind of exploration mechanic on promotion.

Lord - gains a horse, traverse faster.

Archer - Rope shot, traverse gaps

Fighter - Busts boulders with superior strength

Thief - Stealth - traverse silently

Wyvern Rider - Reach high terrain via flying mount

Mage - Gains water magic, air bubbles let you traverse underwater. 

Oh; I definitely thought horses, pegasi and wyverns would unlock more exploration; I just figured they would be more like fast-travel or in-game items that unlock more exploration when equipped.

Those ideas for character-specific unlocks would be cool, but how would they work without separating that character from the group? (Ys VIII spoilers)

Spoiler

Dana in YS VIII had character-specific exploration unlocks (her Gratika and Luminous forms), but only in the past when the player only controls her and not a group of characters. Luminous' benefit: lighting up invisible platforms and enemies, could've been carried into the present, but Gratika being able to power through turbines wouldn't have made sense except as a way to separate Dana from the rest of the group.

I could see the fighter's ability working, since it's breaking boulders that block the path, the archer's ability to essentially create ziplines would make sense, and the mage can create air bubbles for the whole group and not just themselves. But the thief being able to traverse silently would be hindered by the rest of the group being unable to do so; either the enemies would be programmed to ignore everyone else, creating a very obvious break in immersion, or the enemies would detect them and the stealth would be pointless. Similar for horse and wyvern: either everyone has one, all six get on the same horse/wyvern, or everyone except the lord or wyvern rider gets left behind and jarringly teleports to the place where they stop.

12 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Oh; I definitely thought horses, pegasi and wyverns would unlock more exploration; I just figured they would be more like fast-travel or in-game items that unlock more exploration when equipped.

Those ideas for character-specific unlocks would be cool, but how would they work without separating that character from the group? (Ys VIII spoilers)

Hide contents

Dana in YS VIII had character-specific exploration unlocks (her Gratika and Luminous forms), but only in the past when the player only controls her and not a group of characters. Luminous' benefit: lighting up invisible platforms and enemies, could've been carried into the present, but Gratika being able to power through turbines wouldn't have made sense except as a way to separate Dana from the rest of the group.

I could see the fighter's ability working, since it's breaking boulders that block the path, the archer's ability to essentially create ziplines would make sense, and the mage can create air bubbles for the whole group and not just themselves. But the thief being able to traverse silently would be hindered by the rest of the group being unable to do so; either the enemies would be programmed to ignore everyone else, creating a very obvious break in immersion, or the enemies would detect them and the stealth would be pointless. Similar for horse and wyvern: either everyone has one, all six get on the same horse/wyvern, or everyone except the lord or wyvern rider gets left behind and jarringly teleports to the place where they stop.

The Thief is simple enough, and could just be like a group smoke screen. The Lord and the Rider are more complicated. I imagine everyone getting a horse, and everyone riding the wyvern, or riding a rope hanging from the wyvern (explaining why there's a stamina limitation on flight). Of course, the horse could also just have a cart to pull, but there's nothing really majestic about that.

But it's not like that kind of immersion is a big deal when Ys games already break immersion for gameplay purposes in the form of instant character swap, in the location of your current character.

38 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

The Thief is simple enough, and could just be like a group smoke screen. The Lord and the Rider are more complicated. I imagine everyone getting a horse, and everyone riding the wyvern, or riding a rope hanging from the wyvern (explaining why there's a stamina limitation on flight). Of course, the horse could also just have a cart to pull, but there's nothing really majestic about that.

But it's not like that kind of immersion is a big deal when Ys games already break immersion for gameplay purposes in the form of instant character swap, in the location of your current character.

I suppose those could work.

Immersion is a big deal for a story-driven RPG. Obviously some amount of willing suspension of disbelief can't be avoided; people don't have health bars hovering above them but we need to see characters' HP, but it good to avoid gameplay & story/immersion fighting each other as much as possible. For instance, Ys VIII did justify a lot of stuff that JRPGs typically take for granted thanks to its deserted island setting: fishing minigame? You're stranded on a deserted island. One village of 10 people? It's a village of recent castaways on a deserted island. The protagonists both having the time and being willing to do side missions when there's an urgent plot mission? You're stranded on a deserted island; the side-objectives all revolve around helping everyone survive the island, and most of the story missions aren't very urgent for similar reasons.

The instant character swap annoyed me a lot in my first several hours of playing Ys VIII; albeit partly because I had been playing FF7 Remake just a few months before and had gotten used to keeping an eye on where all my allies were, so I kept thinking character swapping would take me to where the other character is located only to end up staying in place. I did get used to it after a few hours of playing.

Edited by vanguard333

Fire Emblem Racing.

1714866160_super_mars_kart-Copy.png.85036365e8cfdf437dafc4e500f78c89.png

Provided Nintendo used only faithful translations and there was no bullcrap like avatars or revisionist localization, I'd gladly pay $150 for the special edition and would love it to death. But of course, sadly I.S. would never make this masterpiece. 😞

2 hours ago, Polinym said:

Fire Emblem Racing.

1714866160_super_mars_kart-Copy.png.85036365e8cfdf437dafc4e500f78c89.png

Provided Nintendo used only faithful translations and there was no bullcrap like avatars or revisionist localization, I'd gladly pay $150 for the special edition and would love it to death. But of course, sadly I.S. would never make this masterpiece. 😞

Ah, Super Mars Kart. A classic right up there with Super Marthio Party.

My joke suggestion is a full on dating simulator. No fighting, no strategy, no weapon management, just choosing your favourite waifu/husbando and going all the way with them.

In all seriousness, I can`t think of any particular type of spin-off I wanna see for FE.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to see a Smash Bros games with only fire emblem characters. With a more diverse cast than just main characters and sword users. A game like this would satisfy everyone; those who hate fire emblem and want it removed from smash bros, and the fire emblem emblem fans who only play as fire emblem characters on fire emblem stages. 

Fire Emblem farming simulator. Take the TH monastery, add a field and boom, farm game.

On 5/12/2023 at 6:43 PM, lenticular said:

I'm thinking something along the lines of a 4X game (eg Civilization)

Medeus denounces you (you don´t have manaketes)

Naga wants to declare friendship (no reason)

6 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

Fire Emblem farming simulator. Take the TH monastery, add a field and boom, farm game.

I’ve always enjoyed “social simulation” game mechanics that let you interact with characters and immerse yourself in the setting. Three Houses went too far with these, to the detriment of the pacing and the main gameplay. I would probably enjoy the monastery more if it were its own game, or at least optional/not directly linked to progressing through the game like My Castle was in Fates.

I would absolutely love a game like Disney Dreamlight Valley, but with Fire Emblem characters. It would also be a fun contrast to see how the characters would act in times of peace.

6 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

Medeus denounces you (you don´t have manaketes)

Naga wants to declare friendship (no reason)

Now that you phrase that with actual characters, I would love to play a game like that. Especially with loads of Fire Emblem characters acting as generals (or whatever Civilization calls them) and seeing their personalities expressed like that. Let's see if I can add a few more.

*Anna wants to trade!

*Edelgard denounces you (too religious)

*Build Wonder -> Fane of Raman

*Victory Condition: Make your religion Fomortiis and destroy all the sacred stones!

Evolving technology wouldn't really be a thing if you were to keep it Fire Emblem authentic, but you could still cover more or less the same gameplay by just replacing that aesthetic with weapon ranks.

Edited by Jotari