Why did the AI do this in Holy War?

MadBoar

On chapter 9, a wyvern with a javelin attacked my archer from 2 range, rather than attacking from 1 range in order to prevent the counter attack. Does anyone know what would have triggered the AI to do this? I've never seen anything like this in any fire emblem game. 

I've seen AI make baffling decisions like that in older games regarding javelins. Or an enemy mage attacks you at 1 range. Not consistently but maybe once in a playthrough. I've heard that FE4 tweaks the AI's targeting parameters depending on whether they have a commander and how much leadership stars that commander has. But I can't say I've noticed anything anecdotally.

This Wyvern Rider was severely depressed, and sought the cool embrace of death that only being countered by Febail could bring.

Serious answer: I dunno. Sometimes the FE4 AI does weird stuff like this. Might be that they had an "endpoint" in mind where they'd Canto away to, and coming into melee range would've left that spot out of range.

The base AI for the game is particularly random, and inconsistent with its behavior, and changes based on the leadership stars of enemy leaders, but if you have completed the game there is actually a setting to give all enemies AI on par with the highest leadership, which tends to be a lot more consistent (which ironically makes this "hard" AI preferred for a lot of ranked, LTC, and challenge runs...).

I've heard that the Genealogy AI is also completely deterministic. If you take the exact same actions again you get the exact same rng results. So you can literally play the same playthrough twice and everyone will crit and hit at the same points. But if you deviate at all then you're on a whole new set of values.

13 hours ago, Jotari said:

I've heard that the Genealogy AI is also completely deterministic. If you take the exact same actions again you get the exact same rng results. So you can literally play the same playthrough twice and everyone will crit and hit at the same points. But if you deviate at all then you're on a whole new set of values.

Seriously? Cool! So if you want to, you can just try to pay attention to the RNG values as much as you can (I know that exact values are close to impossible but still you could get an idea) and note it down for the most grotesque RNG abuse ever, being able to reuse the list for as many playthroughts as you like? (I dont even RNG abuse, but this sounds so cheaty that I'm actually interested to know if it'd work, sure, it must be hella hard and boring to keep track of every RNG value you get to even do a list like this but it sounds interesting).

41 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Seriously? Cool! So if you want to, you can just try to pay attention to the RNG values as much as you can (I know that exact values are close to impossible but still you could get an idea) and note it down for the most grotesque RNG abuse ever, being able to reuse the list for as many playthroughts as you like? (I dont even RNG abuse, but this sounds so cheaty that I'm actually interested to know if it'd work, sure, it must be hella hard and boring to keep track of every RNG value you get to even do a list like this but it sounds interesting).

I should stress that's what I've been told, but it's not something I've ever verified myself.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 11:46 AM, ARMADS!!! said:

According to Palla Emblem, it's seeded the same way at the start of every new game, and its state is stored in the save file. So yes, you can plan turns or maps by loading a save, checking how your strat plays out, then reloading and trying for better results by varying the order of actions and stuff like that. Or you can use save states and arena matches to get a result you want, note down what it took to get there, then restart the map from the beginning so you don't need save states while you're actually doing the clear (might be helpful for ranked runs).