Summer Game Fest 2023 - Predictions, Hopes, and Followup

Let's get the E3-but-not-E3 discussion started. We'll start with our hopes and predictions for the week's coverage ahead, and then we'll talk about our favorite announcements after the show happens.

I've got a few things I want to discuss beforehand for hopes/predictions:

Persona 5 T

A leaked website domain, recently updated and now providing 404 errors. This could be anything from Persona 5 Tactics to Tetris to Team Racing or Tennis. Or maybe even a sequel to Strikers - T is the letter after S afterall.

I'm hoping for Persona 5 Tactics, and not as a mobile game.

Final Fantasy

We already have credible rumors regarding Final Fantasy Tactics Remake and Final Fantasy 9 Remake. There is also the matter of Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part 2 and a demo for the incredible looking Final Fantasy 16.

Warriors games

I think we're likely to see one at the Tokyo Game Show or a Nintendo Direct, not at SGF. But maybe. Bandai Namco, Square, and Sega are all participating, and they are all preferred Koei partners. Optimistically, I'd like one for Final Fantasy, Yakuza, or an anime license that hasn't gotten one. I won't hold my breath, but if it happens, you'll definitely hear my thoughts.

Oh that's right. Here's the Skedge

Summer Games Fest is Indie Christmas so my favorites will probably be games I have never heard of. I'm also looking forward to Mortal Kombat 1's Gameplay premiere. And the Devolver Direct, starring Volvy, everyone's favorite mascot that absolutely exists and you just forgot. Volvy for Smash!

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

Fair amount in all this. Seems if Nintendo are playing this like last year they wouldn't want to be in the middle of other mews and get lost in the shuffle, which combined with them being somewhat predictable in their direct releases the last while I'd bet there'd be something later on in June.

I'm going to particularly note the Access-Ability Summer Showcase, hope it'd be pretty good at keeping to it's stated goals of being more open to a disabled audience.

3 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Or maybe even a sequel to Strikers - T is the letter after S afterall.

Or Persona 5 2, with T being the letter 2 starts with /s

4 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

We already have credible rumors regarding Final Fantasy Tactics Remake and Final Fantasy 9 Remake.

Wait what.

Why are Squeenix doing this to me?

11 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

Or Persona 5 2, with T being the letter 2 starts with /s

(Persona 5 Strikers IS Persona 5 2.)

Yeah, I was kind of joking with that one, because it is a stretch. But realistically, all of their P5 related games are letter-coded, so there is no reason to believe that a sequel to Strikers wouldn't have a new letter code. That said, I doubt it. What would even be the benefit of a P5 Strikers 2, when P3 or P4 Strikers makes more sense, or even the full crossover?

FFT Remake and FF9 Remake were both on the Nvidia leak. That was the holy grail of leaks because everything on it was guaranteed to at least exist in testing, and much of it has been revealed (even wild ones that people doubted like Kingdom Hearts 4).

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

15 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

(Persona 5 Strikers IS Persona 5 2.)

Yeah, I was kind of joking with that one, because it is a stretch. But realistically, all of their P5 related games are letter-coded, so there is no reason to believe that a sequel to Strikers wouldn't have a new letter code. That said, I doubt it. What would even be the benefit of a P5 Strikers 2, when P3 or P4 Strikers makes more sense, or even the full crossover?

I knew that, just joking about a more traditional sequel along with the formatting MGS Delta did.

19 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

FFT Remake and FF9 Remake were both on the Nvidia leak. That was the holy grail of leaks because everything on it was guaranteed to at least exist in testing, and much of it has been revealed (even wild ones that people doubted like Kingdom Hearts 4).

This is the first I've heard about this leak. What a list.

More speculations/rumors/hopes:

Persona 3 Remake is probably happening. Same thing as P5T with a website domain.

Capcom will probably announce a new entry in something. My heart says Devil May Cry, but it's probably too soon. So, maybe Megaman, Ace Attorney, or Marvel vs. Capcom.

Bandai Namco - a new Tales game would be great. Or, you know, just literally any anime licensed game that isn't a mediocre arena fighter.

At the RGG event on the 16th, I'm hoping for a new entry in the Judgement sub-series of Yakuza/Like a Dragon.

The Exoprimal x Street Fighter thing really threw me with that shot of Ryu holding a machine gun. They're not cyborg versions of street fighters, they would have to mechs with pilots. Somebody is gonna flash kick some dinos in a GuileBot and I wanna see that.

Anyway here's the second biggest documentary announced this week. All about Volvy, Gaming's biggest mascot 

What's the first biggest? Obviously it's Hideo Kojima's directed and produced documentary about Hideo Kojima. I'm pretty sure that one's unironic though

Do I need to play the pirate game? Because the Monkey Island expansion hits me right in the hunk of brimstone that sits in my chest. It looks so good. My favorite trailer was Avowed, but I guess without the context of Obsidian that's a pretty whatever trailer. Speaking of me being an easy mark for certain studios, InXile's Clockwork Revolution and Capcom's Kunitsugami: Path of the Goddess. Action game about healing the world is conceptually very Okami. It really says something about Capcom's portfolio when they can announce any new IP and we could say "why wasn't this just (existing Capcom franchise)?". But any departure from their Big Three (Street Fighter, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil) is a worthy digression

Caught the Starfield showcase as well. It has FTL ship combat with allocating power and targeting specific systems with your attacks. I dunno, I'm not seeing the catch with No Man's Skyrim. It looks like fun.