Revisiting Tellius After 15 Years—A Semi-Blind Path of Radiance Playthrough

In the last fifteen years, I’ve changed in some ways and not in others. Let’s see over this timespan how much I remember and how much has changed about what I think about Path of Radiance.

Thus, I call this a semi-blind playthrough. I remember what happens in Path of Radiance to some extent, but the specifics may catch me off guard. Please don’t post spoilers until after the relevant parts happen.

Throughout this playthrough, I’ll share my commentary on the game, what I remember and what I forgot. I enjoy commentary and haven’t done any projects like this since my Disney sequel review series (which I would like to continue at some point.)

There’s also one other twist to this playthrough. I’m voicing the dialogue for every (female) character! I recently played through Fates: Revelation this way and it was absurdly fun. Granted, Revelation has a larger cast and a roughly 50/50 gender ratio, so I had lots of characters to create voices for. My favorites to voice were probably Peri, Selkie, Sophie and Rinkah.

One thing that has profoundly changed how I play and think about video games has been creating my own game. It started as a fan game, and over time grew and morphed into its own intricate project. The website is somewhat outdated, since I’m putting most my time into working on a demo, but you can learn more about my game here. I imagine this will definitely affect how I perceive things in Path of Radiance. Also, I’ve played several Fire Emblem games in the last fifteen years, so expect lots of comparisons.

In my next post, I’ll cover the prologue!

Prologue

I like how the Greil Mercenaries feel like a family. It’s not other Fire Emblem games don’t have the main character belong to a group or family unit, but the interactions between them sell it well in this game. While I won’t experiment with this in this playthrough, I’ve heard that the dialogue in the early game changes depending on which of the Greil Mercenaries die. That’s an interesting detail and something that I wish more Fire Emblem games would do.

vZ6p4lz.jpg

Chapter 1

Titania, Boyd and Oscar join. Titania is one of my favorite Tellius characters, and along with Soren is one of the only Greil Mercenaries I really like. From what I recall, she’s something of a Jagen, so I’ll use her cautiously. I enjoy her as a character and want to use her while she’s still relevant, but I don’t want her gaining too much experience that would be best given to other units.

I’m indifferent to Boyd and Oscar. If anything, I slightly dislike Oscar, probably because I like Kieran so much better, but Oscar gets most of the spotlight. Oscar is recruited far earlier than Kieran in Path of Radiance, and Oscar has been in Heroes for years, but Kieran has still not been added.

M9g3fya.jpg

yMVW0fo.jpg

This is a good way to introduce the weapon triangle to beginning players. It also appears as a graphic when attacking.

I forgot that mounted units could move again after attacking, and how awesome they are in general in this game. I’m definitely looking forward to using them more. Also, Rescue is great. I definitely prefer it to the Shelter skill in Fates.

I love the victory music that plays before the map ends. The tune came back to me as soon as it started playing, and I started humming along.

I’ll admit this isn’t the most exciting post. Don’t worry, I’ll have far more to say in a few chapters.

Oooh nice, I ♥️the Tellius sooooo much, my favourite games of this series.

Yes, mounted units are amazing in this game due to canto.

I like Oscar for one reason: earth affinity

Just support him with Ike to make them become almost invincible later on.

The victory theme is only played twice in this game iirc (other time is in chapter six), though this track made it in the Smash series surprisingly.

I mean it's a nice song but not very fitting to a brawl, if you ask me.

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2023 at 1:09 AM, Lady Hortensia said:

Oooh nice, I ♥️the Tellius sooooo much, my favourite games of this series.

Yes, mounted units are amazing in this game due to canto.

I like Oscar for one reason: earth affinity

Just support him with Ike to make them become almost invincible later on.

The victory theme is only played twice in this game iirc (other time is in chapter six), though this track made it in the Smash series surprisingly.

I mean it's a nice song but not very fitting to a brawl, if you ask me.

Canto is fun! It makes cavalry kind of broken, but it is so, SO enjoyable to use. In Heroes, it's more balanced because the movement range and maps are far smaller.

I forgot that track was in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

On 6/8/2023 at 4:20 AM, Vicious Sal said:

Don't worry about using Titania, her growths are excellent and she can be servicable to great up until the very end of the game!

Good to know!

On a side note, I looked at the Radiant Dawn hack in your signature. It looks like fun! I may try it someday, since I also have Radiant Dawn.

After a very busy June, including traveling halfway across the country to demo my own game at a massive gaming convention and demoing the weekend before that at a much smaller, relatively local convention, I am back and ready to continue my playthrough! I will post updates much more often now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 2

Here’s Rhys, probably the most forgettable of the Greil Mercenaries. I’m about as neutral as possible about him. I really like the music in this scene where he appears, though. Gatrie also joins, and I don’t really care about him, either.

I’m curious how Ike and co. managed to get to the bandit stronghold before Titania, even though she had a significant head start and was on horseback.

sjrePgc.jpg

This map was fairly simple, though I made a rookie mistake and miscalculated how far one of the bandits would move. He struck Rhys on the first enemy phase. I was more careful with Rhys after that.

And now we meet one of my least favorite characters in the entire series, Shinon. We also meet (but don’t get to use yet) Rolf, a cute kid who is Oscar and Boyd’s youngest brother, and is also an archer. Guess which one I’ll be benching and which one I’ll be using at the first opportunity.

dYtYJKD.jpg

Next up is Chapter 3, which is one of the more fun earlier maps in Path of Radiance! I'll have more to say about that chapter.