Round 20 SF Splicing Competition Voting

AstraLunaSol

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which Splice is the best?

Florina:

Palette is bad, pertaining to the green shoulder pads(On second thought this is probably just cause it doesn't go with the two mixes of colour in the hair, so if the hair was only the red'ish brown then maybe it'd look better, idk) and the mixes of two colours in the hair. Missing shading on neck. Hair on the top looks stumpy. Shading where the hair meets the head could be improved.

taugenichts:

It's not necessarily a bad sprite, just I feel that another palette could be introduced into the body. To seperate the shoulder pad from the jacket at least, my mind keeps getting minced when I look from the armoured shoulder to the non armoured one and see that they're the same colour.

Also the chest looks a little weird, and confusing, I don't get it, is it armour? :c

Lumi::

Hair shading could be improved, a lot. The closer side collar is pushed over too far. Body could be cleaner.

Crashman_Alpha::

The fire(?) thingy is cool, I liked it. But the copied hands looks, bad. Plus not much is spliced, it seems, plain when you consider that it's meant to be a splice comp..

MK:

Again, I"m not digging the two hair tone, loving the spliced colour though, although the blend into the brown.. thing, is awful. You'd have been better off removing the brown thing entirely and replacing it with something more akin to the line of the collar. Also I wasn't really a fan of Josh's light tones on his clothes, the whole 2 tone never worked for me on him cause of it..

I think he means if Nickt thinks these entries are meh, he should do better to show up the competition.

But I'd still have the problem of having no one to vote for, derp.

Besides, the set was uninspiring, and I'm tired of Josh after having done the reclassing comp, his body is awful.

@Nickt: while a lot of what you said is valid, it woulda been a whole lot more useful in the respective galleries before the voting began so that they could actually fix the issues. How you listed it, as well as your previous comment come across as very spiteful, no I didn't find the set inspiring either and nor did I vote, but there is nothing anyone can do about their entries now, I don't know about everyone, but I feel that were you to at least start with a "just so you know for next time, I think (comments)", it would have taken the edge off your words, if you wanted to sound obnoxious then you might want to re-think being a part of the forum environment, galleries really are the space for more than just a passing comment, if yor going to cnc a work then try to do it at the right time and place, huh?

Edited by Vampire Elf

while a lot of what you said is valid,

You really enjoy showing off, don't you? Always a way to make it known that you're better. :/ Feel free to point out all the things I'm wrong about, hey, just trying to help, but no, not good enough for Vamp. -.-

it woulda been a whole lot more useful in the respective galleries

I saw the set, and ignored the topic because I couldn't find anything to work with, I tend to avoid galleries because most of the time I can't be bothered crit'ing people, especially when people have got "legends" like you who just come along and leave people in awe.

before the voting began so that they could actually fix the issues.

They can still fix the issues, nothing is keeping them from touching up their works, they just wouldn't be able to submit it to the contest, but dude, it's just a contest on a forum, a little skill and talent learned is better then some stupid number next to your name in a forum topic.

How you listed it, as well as your previous comment come across as very spiteful,

Sure, I can see how my first comment was spiteful, I seemed like a little bit of a jackass in that post, but seriously, in the other comments? It appears you're understanding is whack, considering the fact that plain, straight forward comments isn't spiteful, sure, some of my crit maybe not correct, or it may be opinion based/influenced, but it doesn't make it any more spiteful then it would one of your comments.

no I didn't find the set inspiring either and nor did I vote, but there is nothing anyone can do about their entries now, I don't know about everyone, but I feel that were you to at least start with a "just so you know for next time, I think (comments)", it would have taken the edge off your words,

Again the whole point that you're making it out to be is like people can't touch their work anymore once it's here, they can, it just wouldn't be for the contest. Sorry if I was a tad late to comment on them, you're making it out that I did this to be a jerk. -.-

if you wanted to sound obnoxious then you might want to re-think being a part of the forum environment,

And the whole, acting like a top dog, isn't obnoxious or anything like that, y'know, you're an idiot. I swear, this comment, just makes me laugh at you.

galleries really are the space for more than just a passing comment,

Mine wasn't anything more than a short comment on each of the mugs, derp. I never knew that the only thing you were allowed to say in these voting topics is who you were voting for, or is it just you whose imposing rules?

if yor going to cnc a work then try to do it at the right time and place, huh?

I'm sure if I checked, I could find plenty a time where others have crit work in these topics, or are you just trying to find any way to get at me because I called you out on the whole hypocritical thing you had going when you were going to steal my design for the mug pimping contest?

Sure you're a good spriter, and sometimes your crit is good and helpful, but the rest? You're a jerk.

I explained why I didn't say it earlier. :/

saw the set, and ignored the topic because I couldn't find anything to work with

Pretty much states I ignored the topic so I couldn't see them before. If I had lurked the topic then I'd have posted whilst the comp was still going, but like I said, I had no reason to considering I wasn't apart of it and my sole purpose as a spriter isn't to lurk around and help people, especially considering most of the time it's wrong.

Also, he isn't just pointing it out, he was making it out like all I put out is negativity. :/

Well I just joined like a week ago <_<

EDIT: Wait, this is like, the 2nd off-topic post. I'll go ahead and edit this in a sec to have critique... Might repeat stuff Nickt said, though =/

EDIT2:

Florina-That double-hair color thing is done oddly since his bangs have such a dark outline, and it should also be noted that there are a few strands of blonde outside the main area. Not sure if that's intentional. His shoulders are exceptionally wide, and that near silver part looks pretty darn pillow shaded from here. And of course, the angle of his head is weird, but that's Narshen's fault. Nobody likes Narshen.

taugenichts-This one didn't stand out to me much before, but it's actually pretty well-done now that I look at it. There's an awkward line of red in the silver part of his hair on our left, and his clothes are made of angle problems. For whatever reason, the trim on his collar is more jagged on the near part and less on the far part than what Narshen began with, which is weird. That, and it's a pretty simple splice below the face.

Lumi-I can't quite tell zoomed out if you shaded his headband, but my monitor may be to blame. There's unnecessary outline throughout his hair, and that collar looks pretty off. The near pauldron's trim can't help but seem thicker than the far one, even though I know you were just doing that due to perspective. Also, the area below the neck looks pillowed.

C_A-First and foremost, I like what you did with that fire. Now, the hat's angle is off (again, blame Narshen) and I'm not a fan of how you just flipped the hand to, err, flip it. It actually looks fine at first, but when you compare the gloves' trim... Bleh. Also, there's no way it's fitting in a hackbox, and it's not recolored despite just being a simple splice.

MarioKirby-I like the one on the right more, even though the left one's probably more accurate. His hairline seems pretty short--maybe you could've added some hair below his headband or something. Some of the hair is messily done (is that red I see?) and that Heath-Narshen pauldron combo looks kinda weird. Oh, looks like you shaded it with the right one and not the left... Does that mean the right one's your entry? It's hard to tell.

Pretty basic comments; I don't feel like going in-depth or even copying them into Paint for examination.

Edited by 47948201

Believeme, I know people can edit things after splice contests, I all but re-did my Ishtar splice after the contest, my point is that they can't change it for this contest, that's all.

I'm sure if I checked, I could find plenty a time where others have crit work in these topics

I made a similar comment to Seph just the other day when I thought he was a little out of line in the submissions part, at least in submissions someone can change their thing FOR the contest.

are you just trying to find any way to get at me because I called you out on the whole hypocritical thing you had going when you were going to steal my design for the mug pimping contest?

Sure you're a good spriter, and sometimes your crit is good and helpful, but the rest? You're a jerk.

I wasn't going to steal the Leila design... I did it firstly to help with the cnc on the body shape, I just had nothing better to do so I had a hand at shading it, then I thought it'd be good to make a point about how YOU would be hypocritical about design theft... If you noticed I had countless "haha's and lol's" in that IM both before and after I showed you it, if you'd also noticed I DID post my WIP or Jerrrike/Joshua yet I hadn't posted Leila?.. anywhere... on any forum... IIRC I showed the fe7x blast chat because I plan on using the shaded nude base(Which is in a similar pose... not even the same pose, and cropped at that for an fe7x mug).

Learn to take a joke maybe, if I wasn't clear enough that I WAS joking, then that is my fault, and I should've been clearer that I wasn't stealing your design, believe me, IF I ever wanted to use a design of yours I'd ask.

Finally, you didnt seem to think I was such a self rightous egoistic bastard when you were asking for a hand with shading and the likes or when my cnc was directed at you, I don't cnc things to make myself feel better or to show off... If you can't understand that, then it's no wonder you think I'm a jerk.

Edited by Vampire Elf