A MK404 Special: Yuri Tanaka's Sidestory

Mage Knight 404

...Wait, what? A hack topic from ME!?

Yes, believe it or not. This is a side project that I've been working on for two months. It's a small 2 chapter ROM hack meant to bring one character into the realm of the MK404 favorites and hopefully be the base point in correcting the blandness that FE404 first produced. For the full reason, I'm just gonna copy the description I used from the first video I have showcasing this. :c

Gather 'round, kids, and Uncle Ray will tell you a story about how this happened! It all started many moons ago...and by that I mean 3 months ago. It was that dreary Tuesday morning where I had nothing to do except bum around on the 'Tube and stumble upon EMIT(for reference, you may look here: http://www.youtube.com/user/MageKnight404#grid/user/95429DF10AEAB20B ). As some of you know, the tales of EMIT and its star heroine Yuri Tanaka enthralled me so much that I instilled Yuri unto the Favorites. Now, I had to ask myself, "How do I properly introduce Yuri to the rest of the Favorites?"

It's now a Saturday in March. I'm busy working on animations for A Sacred Dawn, but can't get the creative juices or willpower going... So, I decided to hatch up some sort of side project that'll keep me away from ASD...at least for a little while and at the same time give you guys something to play while ASD gets worked on. This is that project. It will only be two chapters long(maybe three, but don't count on it) mainly just having fun with FE7, like that ASD event exhibition I did, as well as doing...something with Yuri and some of the Favorites. This is kinda sorta canon with FE404, and at the same time it's not(the inclusion of Pelleas should give that away); it's more about the Favorites rather than FE404's main, uh..."plot".

So, the patch has already been on my YouTube channel for several days, as I planned to release it on my birthday(which I fortunately did). From a general response, people seem to really like it, and now I'm gonna post it here.

Here are screenshots of both chapters:

[spoiler=Chapter 1]YuriSideCh1-1.png

[spoiler=Chapter 2]YuriSideCh2.png

And here's the patch for you guys.

Enjoy!

Very nice hack. Got a lot of "plot" on chapter 2 but it was quite enjoyable.

I have to apologize about the length of the plot in Chapter 2, since I had a large hand in writing most of it. Had Yuri's Sidestory been longer than 2.5 chapters, a fair deal of the text could have been spread out to some of the later chapters. As it was, Chapter 2 was the finale of the project, so there was a long list of important plot points that needed to be touched on in the chapter. Plus, you need to account for transitional and exposition scenes, since those set up the later plot points... As such, that amount of text was basically inevitable. Plus, if you want to think about this in another way, I've not seen many hacks give you 20+ minutes of dialogue before a map even starts. So, I'd like to think that we were being different than everyone else.

----------------

That being said, I see 100+ views in this topic. Y'all had better be downloading the patch! Just because it's short doesn't mean that it isn't good or isn't somewhat challenging! (In fact, most people that I've talked to have said that at least part of the hack can be quite challenging...)

This was a nice little fun two story hack. I love that Dekar made and appearance. I wish Sakura's Windy was a bit stronger, but seeing that it's infinite and once I gave her Epicenter she was great after her class change.

I do admit that the ending was a bit anticlimactic and not very fulfilling. Eliwood's like "Let's continue on to Santaruz." and it ends. Of course, if you have plans for more little small hacks like this, it's cool, but the ending was just abrupt.

Ah well, still loved it and hope to see more from you soon, whether it's Sacred Dawn or other projects.

Edited by Taku

• 3 years later...

Retsupurae, mofo!

That said, I think Slowbeef, Diabeetus, and the commentors were a bit harsh. It's a competent hack and you're not hurting anyone in any way, what's the problem?

Also, you're a decent voice actor. I couldn't tell you were male until Slowbeef said so.

Edited by Zontas