[FE8] The Decision...... Draft

Janissary

-Free for all: Eirika, Ephraim, Orson, and Myrrh.

-Seth and Franz are superbanned.

-Warp is banned.

-Hard Mode, pick your own route

-No Tower, Skirmish, or Ruins abuse.

-Skirmishes may only be entered if they are blocking your path. They must be immediately retreated from.

-Map shopping is allowed.

-Undrafted units MAY NOT enter combat, visit villages or houses, or rescue drafted units.

-Undrafted units MAY recruit characters if needed, find buried treasure, and rescue undrafted units.

-Penalty for using any undrafted units is 4 turns.

-Vanessa is free to rescue NPCs on Chapter 2 if undrafted.

[spoiler= Units]

Let's play!

Drafting cycle:

1. Integrity: Vanessa, Tana, Syrene, Lute, Moulder, Rennac, Knoll

2. Radiant Dragon: Gerik, Kyle, Joshua, Ross, Duessel, L'Arachel, Amelia

3. Janissary: Artur, Cormag, Gilliam, Colm, Neimi, Natasha, Ewan

4. General Horace: Garcia, Saleh, Forde, Tethys, Dozla, Innes, Marisa

I randomized the order even though Integrity hasn't confirmed participation. Whenever you see this Integ, pick Vanessa or quit because you are scared.

Yeah. Let's do this.

Edited by Janissary

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st: Seth or Franz should be free until the end of Chapter 8 like I suggested earlier, otherwise Vanessa is probably still too good.

2nd: Allow us to choose our route. Seriously. There's no need to needlessly devalue Duessel/Knoll or Innes/Saleh.

3rd: Are undrafted units allowed to rescue NPCs? I remember exceptions being made allowing Vanessa to rescue Ross even if undrafted, yet everyone seems to think that rescuing NPCs is obviously fine for undrafted units regardless.

4th: Is it really necessary to allow Trainees to get to level 10/01 in the Tower? It's not like we make exceptions for other really bad units.

5th: Penalties for all units should remain at 4 turns. Seth is banned as in 'you can not use him ever for anything, and still be considered part of the draft'.

Edited by Radiant Kitty

1st: Seth or Franz should be free until the end of Chapter 8 like I suggested earlier, otherwise Vanessa is probably still too good.

2nd: Allow us to choose our route. Seriously. There's no need to needlessly devalue Duessel/Knoll or Innes/Saleh.

3rd: Are undrafted units allowed to rescue NPCs? I remember exceptions being made allowing Vanessa to rescue Ross even if undrafted, yet everyone seems to think that rescuing NPCs is obviously fine for undrafted units regardless.

4th: Is it really necessary to allow Trainees to get to level 10/01 in the Tower? It's not like we make exceptions for other really bad units.

5th: Penalties for all units should remain at 4 turns. Seth is banned as in 'you can not use him ever for anything, and still be considered part of the draft'.

1. Why? Vanessa sucks at combat early game.

2. This is an interesting idea. Has any draft done that before? I kind of like it myself, I'm just wondering if there is any precedent.

3. Yeah, do whatever with NPCs. I don't know why the Ness/Ross exception was ever in the rules.

4. Getting rid of. I thought it was standard. I agree it's dumb.

5. That's fine with me.

1. Why? Vanessa sucks at combat early game.

That may be true, but she's the only high move unit available until Kyle and Forde join, so she's going to end up saving a ton of turns otherwise.

2. This is an interesting idea. Has any draft done that before? I kind of like it myself, I'm just wondering if there is any precedent.

Actually, it's a very recent (and dumb, in my opinion) inclusion. Most FE8 drafts have allowed you to choose your route.

3. Yeah, do whatever with NPCs. I don't know why the Ness/Ross exception was ever in the rules.

It was included because undrafted units should not be able to rescue Other Units. Seriously, I don't know why everyone thinks that should be allowed.

4. Getting rid of. I thought it was standard. I agree it's dumb.

Hey, I'm not saying it's a bad idea (the Trainees are really bad otherwise). I was just wondering if it was necessary.

That may be true, but she's the only high move unit available until Kyle and Forde join, so she's going to end up saving a ton of turns otherwise.

Right. I'd like like to test this how it is and see if banning Franz makes Vanessa too absurdly good as a first pick. I think that's one of the things this draft should determine.

Actually, it's a very recent (and dumb, in my opinion) inclusion. Most FE8 drafts have allowed you to choose your route.

I'm fine with route choosing, so let's go for it.

It was included because undrafted units should not be able to rescue Other Units. Seriously, I don't know why everyone thinks that should be allowed.

Oh, well, I mean, they survive the chapter just fine without a rescue in my experience, it would just weaken their availability by one chapter. I don't really think the rule is necessary.

Hey, I'm not saying it's a bad idea (the Trainees are really bad otherwise). I was just wondering if it was necessary.

I think it was a bad idea. The only reason I really included it was to try to be standard, but I mean, trainees will suck regardless.

Right. I'd like like to test this how it is and see if banning Franz makes Vanessa too absurdly good as a first pick. I think that's one of the things this draft should determine.

She was already absurdly good as a first pick, except Franz was there to provide some semblance of competition.

Oh, well, I mean, they survive the chapter just fine without a rescue in my experience, it would just weaken their availability by one chapter. I don't really think the rule is necessary.

Actually, you have to be extremely lucky for Ross to survive as an NPC (I've done it, and it involved him dodging a high hit% attack, and him and Garcia landing three mediocre% hit attacks on one of the Brigands, and he still has to get lucky with the Archer).

I think it was a bad idea. The only reason I really included it was to try to be standard, but I mean, trainees will suck regardless.

They might actually have some semblance of use this way, though.

I don't think we should apologize for crappy units.

I'm not too particularly fussed either way, but the average unit quality in this game (when playing efficiently) is low enough as it is.

Also, Seth or Franz still aren't free until Chapter 9 starts. That one I'm pretty adamant on.

Edited by Radiant Kitty

A partially free Franz or Seth simply overvalued Vanessa even more IMO, but post your best argument about how that balances the draft and I will read it in the morning. I'm too tired to objectively decide right now.

A partially free Franz or Seth simply overvalued Vanessa even more IMO, but post your best argument about how that balances the draft and I will read it in the morning. I'm too tired to objectively decide right now.

How would they overvalue her more? Then she wouldn't be the only unit with high move and Canto for a third of the game. Then everyone wouldn't be in a large hole turncount wise until other mounts start showing up. Etc.

The answer seem really obvious to me.

Edited by Radiant Kitty

I think rescuing Ross should be free, because if you have him drafted, it'll be a pain to keep resetting.

Agreed. Allowing undrafted units to rescue other NPCs isn't necessary and shouldn't be allowed, though.

A possible solution is for Vanessa to be able to take one attack freely from that specific brigand. Essentially she takes the hit, Ross runs off and heals, and then you're good for the rest of the chapter.

Sorry Jan, but I'm gonna have to back

Ah, what the hell. It's not like FE8 drafts take me longer than two afternoons. Vanessa.

EDIT: Let it be known that I'm in a cockup of other drafts (asdf no time in summer) and I DEFINITELY don't have the time for this, but who gives a fuck. Worst case scenario summer classes are done in two weeks and then I go on a horrible FE binge :p

Edited by Integrity

That's fine integ. I figure even if I do all my other drafts first, even when I got to this, it'd be so short that I'll get it done in a reasonable amount of time.

RK, making someone free untl Chapter 8 means that Integ gets to rescue drop Franz or Seth everywhere, which is why I mean by further overpowering Vanessa. Giving one of those two free means a virtually guranteed +6 or 7 for Integ on Chapter 7. Currently, Integ is going to have to get a blessed Eirika to do that.

Edited by Janissary

I don't know what to do. HALP

Garcia and Kyle. Is the rescue staff banned? (If it exists...)

Actully, screw Kyle, Saleh.

I'll send a list in later tonight, as I'm at work in the day for the next... week.

Edited by General_Horace

Damn you, I did not expect him to go this early...

Saleh? I only picked him because every time I try to use Kyle or Forde they get speed and strength screwed. :facepalm:

And he joins kinda early in the easier route, I think.

Edited by General_Horace

Garcia? Wut? He was supposed to come back to me. I wouldn't worry too much about a list... my own internet access will be sporadic. It's not like there;s a huge hurry to get this done.

I guess... lol I want to lulz this draft up, but I won't. I'm contemplating going super balls in with Lute...

Nah. Let's go Cormag. I haven't used him in awhile.